23 replies to this topic

#1 Joat

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

I dont know what to say here.....after playing about 20 matches betweekn last night after work and this morning + reading a few threads here on the forums

the good. - we got a new mech.It has a GIANT head and should be easy to kill...we will see.I have not faced to many of them yet.The new mechs do seem to have a few fun builds im looking forward to trying out
Dont realy notice much good other than that....

the bad - whatever PGI did seemed to start causing even more people lag.I personaly feel all your pains here as I been here for some time now and I went from being to barly play,to finding an awsome custom config file and rocking this game hard for a week....then a patch and they shut down the user config files....understandable it was a closed beta....I broke down and spent 120$ on a new video card and smooth as butter again.Now all kinds od chop again???My CPU is not crap and meets min specs but I can use a new oneThis is not confirmed info but from what I know they have it set so the CPU is doing more work than the GPU.if this is the case....why?

my biggest grip of all ....the matchmaker and PGI allowing people to exploit a bad game machanic..IE teams pug popping....but joat you can join a team and pad your stats by picking on groups of 5-8 players that dont care if they win or lose or even try to work together....If pugs faced pugs bolth teams would be filled with people who dont care if they win or lose or dont try to work together and it would be more of a brawl and fun....I dont care if people want to team up and play with there friends but they should only face ofther teams of people teamed up. Hey PGI here is a tip.....if the new players cant EVER get anything done cause they spend most of there time faceing teams of people working together so the team they are on get walked over.....over and over again...they will say screw this game there is no point and move on....yes core players will keep paying your $$$ car payments for you but you lose out on so much more money in the long run....just saying

net code - other players input on this would be helpfull....as for me I have mixed feelings.It dos seem to me there are times I truly KNOW I should of scraped the mech I was facing but I ended up dead instead.I do know how to add.....and I am going by an old weapons chart.....that being said even by the old chart and the amount of times I hit a mech in one match I should have rubbeled him 3 times.....Ill even say 2 and the 3rd was a maby....yet I get killed.Yes I know about hitboxes and left right center arm leg.....etc.etc... just asume for a second I know how to play the game and coment from there.......

Light mechs being the end all be all - oka PGI has made it a LITTLE harder to be a light mech pilot but in NO world should a 100 ton mech fear the 25 ton.......it is that simple.bigger may not always be better but really....18wheeler vs VW bug size and mass people...thats right they turned off knock downs cause it was not working right....ya so the matchmaker is not working right...turn off teaming up till thats working right.....???

oh ya where is our button for our premium accounts.....us founders are having our premium time tick away while we should still be in closed beta (IMO) while the BETA tag is attached to this game...alpha,beta,closed,or open our PAID time should not be taken from us.I truly hope the button is comming and/or getting reset at live launch/open beta tag being removed

I know alot of my posts seem to point out the bad.....
I really want this game to be a good game and to be frank.....I paid for my right to B&M
Mods I was nice this time...level headed...I did not write this one angry so easy with the thread lock HAHA

#2 Leetskeet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

I only scanned over this, but you're probably going to get swarmed for having criticisms

#3 Joat

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

View PostLeetskeet, on 21 November 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

I only scanned over this, but you're probably going to get swarmed for having criticisms

ya most likly....but everyone that runs there trap instead of debating these issues with the OP (me) just shows how small minded they truly are. ;)

#4 Dax Frey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

View PostJoat, on 21 November 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

ya most likly....but everyone that runs there trap instead of debating these issues with the OP (me) just shows how small minded they truly are. ;)

I like how you are casting a pre response judgement on responses that yet to exist...makes your case even stronger.

people will probably flame you more for being a pre-post-posturing douche about it as opposed to the actual content of your post...even though there are 1 billion posts out there covering the same crap. With 1 billion posts explaining how simpleminded anyone that doesn't understand how the content/feature/bug-fixing process works. Just sayin...

#5 Comguard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 652 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

I can understand OPs feelings, I was also surprised by the sudden performance drop. But I've reached the point where I finally don't care and am just amused by people hoping for "community warfare will fix everything". Concerning the speed it takes PGI to implement stuff we all know when we will get CW...

But as a member of the golden army I am also obliged to say:

Stop whining. Grow up. Learn to play. Lights are fine. Lag shield does not exist. My K/D is better than yours. You are just a sad man who has no friend and is sad because he can't play in a team.

#6 Corpsecandle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostJoat, on 21 November 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

oh ya where is our button for our premium accounts.....us founders are having our premium time tick away while we should still be in closed beta (IMO) while the BETA tag is attached to this game...alpha,beta,closed,or open our PAID time should not be taken from us.I truly hope the button is comming and/or getting reset at live launch/open beta tag being removed

Wasn't really expecting much else from the patch, but this did surprise me...was expecting it last week and when there was no patch I assumed it would come in this week.

#7 Kousagi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Why does everyone want that premium time button to come faster?... I want it to be delayed till release! They already said once the button comes you will get your full time from it. So if your founders has 3 months with it, you get 3 months by pressing that button. What us founders are getting right this second is FREE premium time...

#8 Ruser

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

what ... is ..... th.e meanning... of...these . ellipsis?... . .. .. .... . . ..

#9 Terran123rd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

I haven't really had a problem with the latest patch. In fact, it actually made it more playable. I don't know what they did, but my (admittedly low) FPS has double on a couple of the maps.

On premium time: I seem to remember somewhere that one of the devs said that you guys (founders) were given free free premium time, which is what's ticking down now. Once that's done, your founder's premium time should still be there.

Most of your gripes seem to hail from this being a beta. While that's true, the free nature of the game means that it's essentially live, and it has to be run that way. However, this is still as close to a true beta as you can get with a free game. So PGI is juggling running the game, and doing all that that entails, and finishing the game, and doing all that THAT entails, at the same time. Think about cutting them a little slack. They're a small studio and they're probably doing the best they can.

#10 BlindEyeCharlie

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

120 for a vid card.... big spender ( had to do it)

Or you could have my games last night.. bugged armor and died every match in 5 shots. back to BF3 till this gets fixed

#11 Skull Ringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 132 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

...PGI needs a real CEO..
..you can just FEEL them all fighting for turf.. ']

#12 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostBlindEyeCharlie, on 21 November 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

Or you could have my games last night.. bugged armor and died every match in 5 shots. back to BF3 till this gets fixed

Yeah man cuz a free to play game should require building a brand new 500+ rig, right.

Oh wait that defeats the purpose.

I feel for the op and his elipsis obsession.

#13 DeathofSelf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 655 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

View PostCorpsecandle, on 21 November 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

Wasn't really expecting much else from the patch, but this did surprise me...was expecting it last week and when there was no patch I assumed it would come in this week.

Why are people complaining about this? They are giving us an extra week or 2 of FREE premium time.

Edited by DeathofSelf, 21 November 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#14 Joat

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostDax Frey, on 21 November 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

I like how you are casting a pre response judgement on responses that yet to exist...makes your case even stronger.

people will probably flame you more for being a pre-post-posturing douche about it as opposed to the actual content of your post...even though there are 1 billion posts out there covering the same crap. With 1 billion posts explaining how simpleminded anyone that doesn't understand how the content/feature/bug-fixing process works. Just sayin...

yes...there are lots of posts about ALL of these issues....this was my take on all of it....
Also...debating and flamming are 2 very diff things.....maby you should learn that instead of adding yourself to the small midened group...just saying...

View PostTerran123rd, on 21 November 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

I haven't really had a problem with the latest patch. In fact, it actually made it more playable. I don't know what they did, but my (admittedly low) FPS has double on a couple of the maps.

On premium time: I seem to remember somewhere that one of the devs said that you guys (founders) were given free free premium time, which is what's ticking down now. Once that's done, your founder's premium time should still be there.

Most of your gripes seem to hail from this being a beta. While that's true, the free nature of the game means that it's essentially live, and it has to be run that way. However, this is still as close to a true beta as you can get with a free game. So PGI is juggling running the game, and doing all that that entails, and finishing the game, and doing all that THAT entails, at the same time. Think about cutting them a little slack. They're a small studio and they're probably doing the best they can.

if you went to a fast food place and asked for a cheeseburger value meal .... paid for it....then got a bun with nothing on it,a emty fry bag and a cup of ice and told you it was a beta build of your meal ...would you then accept that no one would

an OPEN beta means the game is is all but done and they are testing server stablitly more than anything and finding the few bugs that are left in the game.YES an online game is ALWAYS making changes but the core game itself should be working.PGI seems to be acting like the game is good to go.accepting money from players (yes who chose to spend there money and they need to money to keep making new content.however the content that is the core game should be working BEFORE taking money from the players) Free game or not they as a company are making money and we as the players are spending money (thos that chose to) ....why dont you come on over to my house and pay ME to rake the leaves off MY lawn...
Closed beta is the time to work out 80% of the issues this open beta has.

the premium time....the only info I saw about the button was that we should have had it already and it is still not there....my time is ticking away.Maby i misses the post of when they are adding it....

View PostBlindEyeCharlie, on 21 November 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

I never posted the cards specs..... maby i got a good deal on a nice card

View PostComguard, on 21 November 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

I can understand OPs feelings, I was also surprised by the sudden performance drop. But I've reached the point where I finally don't care and am just amused by people hoping for "community warfare will fix everything". Concerning the speed it takes PGI to implement stuff we all know when we will get CW...

But as a member of the golden army I am also obliged to say:

Stop whining. Grow up. Learn to play. Lights are fine. Lag shield does not exist. My K/D is better than yours. You are just a sad man who has no friend and is sad because he can't play in a team.

I never said ANYTHING about community warfar or it fixing anything....I never said anything about a lag shield.... KDR is meaningless (more so right now).The only usefull thing in your post was the fact you got a performance hit as well.....so thanks for that i guess

#15 SouthernRex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 374 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

".I broke down and spent 120$ on a new video card and smooth as butter again."

lol. my video card heatsink cost more than that. no wonder you lag

#16 Joat

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostSouthernRex, on 21 November 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

".I broke down and spent 120$ on a new video card and smooth as butter again."

lol. my video card heatsink cost more than that. no wonder you lag

really you spent that much money on small chunk of metal....haha I got a bridge for sale....;)
my video is not the issue.I got more card than I need to run this game.....

#17 Ravewolf

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

So people who play games now all spend hundreds on graphics cards? I recall reading an article that pointed out that the vast majority of gamers have not changed their card in years, let alone spent a ton on one, though you would never guess that from all the common hype about the latest gamer grade hardware and such.

Personally, I have two machines at home, one being a gamer rig with a powerful card, and the other being the every day work PC with just an OEM card. Both machines have run the game fine in the past, though obviously the OEM card got a lower frame rate. Unless they make a drastic improvement to the graphics some time, there is no good reason why this game should require a beastly machine to run its current level of graphics.

#18 Lin Shai

• 2,401 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

View PostRavewolf, on 21 November 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

So people who play games now all spend hundreds on graphics cards? I recall reading an article that pointed out that the vast majority of gamers have not changed their card in years, let alone spent a ton on one, though you would never guess that from all the common hype about the latest gamer grade hardware and such.

If they haven't bought one in years, then they either primarily play 'farmville' or they did spend some money at some point :( I just replaced my trusty 4 year old GTX275 with a GTX670. Pretty much $350 buys you 4 years of "no worries" gaming right now where you don't have to worry about frame rates or settings.

That being said ...

Personally, I have two machines at home, one being a gamer rig with a powerful card, and the other being the every day work PC with just an OEM card. Both machines have run the game fine in the past, though obviously the OEM card got a lower frame rate. Unless they make a drastic improvement to the graphics some time, there is no good reason why this game should require a beastly machine to run its current level of graphics.

Agreed. MWO has pretty much the worst FPS of any game I own given the same hardware. That new GTX670 rocks games with far better and more complex graphics whereas in MWO i'm getting 50 - 60. And it gets worse with every patch lately.

Edited by Lin Shai, 21 November 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#19 Mel Mad Dog Winters

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

View PostJoat, on 21 November 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

I dont know what to say here.....after playing about 20 matches betweekn last night after work and this morning + reading a few threads here on the forums

the good. - we got a new mech.It has a GIANT head and should be easy to kill...we will see.I have not faced to many of them yet.The new mechs do seem to have a few fun builds im looking forward to trying out
Dont realy notice much good other than that....

the bad - whatever PGI did seemed to start causing even more people lag.I personaly feel all your pains here as I been here for some time now and I went from being to barly play,to finding an awsome custom config file and rocking this game hard for a week....then a patch and they shut down the user config files....understandable it was a closed beta....I broke down and spent 120$ on a new video card and smooth as butter again.Now all kinds od chop again???My CPU is not crap and meets min specs but I can use a new oneThis is not confirmed info but from what I know they have it set so the CPU is doing more work than the GPU.if this is the case....why?

my biggest grip of all ....the matchmaker and PGI allowing people to exploit a bad game machanic..IE teams pug popping....but joat you can join a team and pad your stats by picking on groups of 5-8 players that dont care if they win or lose or even try to work together....If pugs faced pugs bolth teams would be filled with people who dont care if they win or lose or dont try to work together and it would be more of a brawl and fun....I dont care if people want to team up and play with there friends but they should only face ofther teams of people teamed up. Hey PGI here is a tip.....if the new players cant EVER get anything done cause they spend most of there time faceing teams of people working together so the team they are on get walked over.....over and over again...they will say screw this game there is no point and move on....yes core players will keep paying your $$$ car payments for you but you lose out on so much more money in the long run....just saying

net code - other players input on this would be helpfull....as for me I have mixed feelings.It dos seem to me there are times I truly KNOW I should of scraped the mech I was facing but I ended up dead instead.I do know how to add.....and I am going by an old weapons chart.....that being said even by the old chart and the amount of times I hit a mech in one match I should have rubbeled him 3 times.....Ill even say 2 and the 3rd was a maby....yet I get killed.Yes I know about hitboxes and left right center arm leg.....etc.etc... just asume for a second I know how to play the game and coment from there.......

Light mechs being the end all be all - oka PGI has made it a LITTLE harder to be a light mech pilot but in NO world should a 100 ton mech fear the 25 ton.......it is that simple.bigger may not always be better but really....18wheeler vs VW bug size and mass people...thats right they turned off knock downs cause it was not working right....ya so the matchmaker is not working right...turn off teaming up till thats working right.....???

I know alot of my posts seem to point out the bad.....
I really want this game to be a good game and to be frank.....I paid for my right to B&M
Mods I was nice this time...level headed...I did not write this one angry so easy with the thread lock HAHA

I sympathize with and support a lot of what you are saying.

Regarding the comments on lights and fast mediums, I feel I have to speak up again. Apologies in advance if I'm getting off topic or seem to be critical. It's not you, I just feel like I'm in a minority regarding that subtopic of your post, and in case the devs listen to all the 'lights are OP' stuff, I feel I'd best speak up before this becomes a game I'd not enjoy playing.

The role of assaults and heavies was always different from that of the faster mechs, especially in the board game that is the source of the IP and the inspiration for every computer game based on it. Yes, if the light just stands there and trades blows with a 100 ton there is no way it can win. However, in the original board game, moving slow was a big weakness that could be exploited—at least with a mech that got split off. Mechs that stuck together with their team or escorts, different matter. Teamwork or escorts always were simple answers to fast harassers.

As for real life comparisons, think of World War 2 interceptors going after big bombers. The little interceptors would be countered by other small fighter craft made for that sort of thing, while the bombers remained capable of wreaking massive destruction to different kinds of targets. It's not a perfect example, but there are more in reality and fiction if you look.

The point is, the fast mechs have a job that they are good at and fill one of many tactical roles and so do the heavies, but they are not the same roles. It's not an arm wrestling match or a 'let's stand still and pound on each other til one of us falls down. It's also not '100 tons wins and everything else sucks, but hey you can still go scout, loser', either...

In the board game, I frequently took fast mediums or even lights and frequently did very well in anything like a free-for-all match or a one-on-one duel. In a one-on-one duel with no time limit, fast mechs were always an excellent choice. However, part of the thrill or challenge was that if you screwed up, presented yourself as a target, or if they got several lucky rolls, you were toast and nothing could save you.

Now if someone were to say that higher armor values in this game, compared to the board game, were giving the lights more survivability, I might agree with you. My Jenner can rarely do more than damage a large mech in this game, before a more powerful mech comes in to finish them off. It might be nice to see those massive armor values cut in half, too. Anyhow...

Since you have to play very well just to survive in a light—and you do—I feel that is well represented here in this game. There are bugs/issues that need to be fixed, but there are enough to go around to make you miserable regardless of what kind of mech you try.

It's sad that people will cry foul just because you had the nerve to survive in a light, let alone that you'd have to pound on your enemy for minutes even though they could destroy you quickly, if you let them or if you make just one mistake. I usually have a good go of hunting lights, but I typically run mechs made to do that (other lights or fast mediums) while my teammates focus on the targets that can * really * hurt our team a lot more.

And so-called * lag shield * works both ways and actually makes it a lot harder to play a light. I'm much more likely to die sooner when lag hits me and my overall damage and performance goes down dramatically. I usually see all mechs warp when lag hits me, so I'm an equal opportunity discriminator, I guess.

Now, it sounds like I'm arguing, and maybe I am. I just feel that not enough people stand up for the other side of the coin in discussions about lights.

Fast lights and fast mediums as not only a viable choice, but also as a very effective combat choice, were always a part of the board game. They were excellent at dueling and at picking on slower mechs that got split off. They were always especially good at proving Atlas pilots wrong if they got off by themselves, by denying good shots and very slowly picking them apart. They were, however, easily destroyed when pinned down, or when they couldn't otherwise use their superior maneuverability to their advantage.

If the devs ever introduce different objectives for matches, other than cap and hit-and-run which fast mechs * should * excel at, you will likely see less lights being chosen. For example: defend a target and do not let the enemy capture or destroy it. Or: Assault and destroy the enemy base with hardened structures before a dropship takes off. If you emphasize missions where massive firepower is essential, where mechs running wherever they please is counter productive, and especially if there is a time limit to do it, more dps is the way to go. If you can't run around, be evasive, or feel free to have all the time in the world, the balance will tip completely towards more firepower and armor (and screw maneuverability and tactics beyond taking defensive positions).

Even back in the board game days, some people would still say "no way a light or medium should be a threat against an assault". So, thinking that or saying that doesn't make your opinion unusual. However, the fact remains that they could be destroyed by smaller faster mechs if those mechs were played well and they weren't countered by teamwork or escorts.

It would typically take a long time to get through all that armor, but it was very very very do-able.

Edited by Mel Mad Dog Winters, 21 November 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#20 Comguard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 652 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

View PostJoat, on 21 November 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

yes...there are lots of posts about ALL of these issues....this was my take on all of it....
Also...debating and flamming are 2 very diff things.....maby you should learn that instead of adding yourself to the small midened group...just saying...

if you went to a fast food place and asked for a cheeseburger value meal .... paid for it....then got a bun with nothing on it,a emty fry bag and a cup of ice and told you it was a beta build of your meal ...would you then accept that no one would

an OPEN beta means the game is is all but done and they are testing server stablitly more than anything and finding the few bugs that are left in the game.YES an online game is ALWAYS making changes but the core game itself should be working.PGI seems to be acting like the game is good to go.accepting money from players (yes who chose to spend there money and they need to money to keep making new content.however the content that is the core game should be working BEFORE taking money from the players) Free game or not they as a company are making money and we as the players are spending money (thos that chose to) ....why dont you come on over to my house and pay ME to rake the leaves off MY lawn...
Closed beta is the time to work out 80% of the issues this open beta has.

the premium time....the only info I saw about the button was that we should have had it already and it is still not there....my time is ticking away.Maby i misses the post of when they are adding it....

I never posted the cards specs..... maby i got a good deal on a nice card

I never said ANYTHING about community warfar or it fixing anything....I never said anything about a lag shield.... KDR is meaningless (more so right now).The only usefull thing in your post was the fact you got a performance hit as well.....so thanks for that i guess

Ähm...obviously you didn't get the sarcasm. So as an extra information: The last part was supposed to be funny. Obviously I failed at providing a good joke ;)

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users