A Tale Of Two Betas

106 replies to this topic

#21 Sharkfin

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

So a free to play game (MWO) is open to anyone who wants to register to play, has started charging time off the founders premium accounts and has it's cash shop open for business....they can call it BETA all they want, its released. Its just fancy spin docotring to mask a severly lacking finished product that didn't deliver on it's persistent uiniverse as promised.

#22 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Fine. I'll say it. The whole time I was in both closed betas I was comparing the 2.

The closed beta of planetside 2 from months ago did all those things the OP stated, so the point can make sense. Their closed beta when compared to even MWO's open beta is a viable comparison. if the only rebuttal is> fully released game vs open beta is unfair.. then ok whatever, everything is fine here.

#23 Col Forbin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

View PostTaryys, on 21 November 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

Look, I appreciate what you are trying to say OP. None of us in the closed beta wanted the game to release, but that does not matter, since it was not PGi's call. We are here. The game is in open beta, a real BETA.

All of us would like for the game to have been underwritten by a large studio so they could take as long as they wanted to get things right, but that is not what the case is. MWO is underwritten by a small firm, and Open Beta therefore actually means open beta. Comparisons like this are not at all helpful and are constructive towards help PGI more forward. We are in open beta and there is no going back.

We need to suck it up and be part of the solution.

Not helpful or constructive? Are you talking about the large, detailed post I wrote on what MWO could do to make the game feel like it's remotely close to a finished product?

#24 AC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,161 posts

View PostRokuzachi, on 21 November 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

If they had a set of persistent servers with a larger map, say like 10km x 10km, with multiple 'take and hold' objectives that people could join at their leisure... oh man. I'd be in heaven. I'd literally play for hours on end uninterrupted. Would greatly prefer this over the 15 minute match setup.

I can't agree more. One of the most popular MW4 game styles as the assault game, where 1 team had to assault a fortress or drop ship that the other team was holding. Or destroy some objective the other team was protecting. That game style was played up until MWO rolled out. That speaks volumes to a Mechwarrior game that was over 10 years old.

#25 Samantha

Clone

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

View PostVlad Ward, on 21 November 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

On topic, I can't even get Planetside 2 to launch without immediately crashing to desktop so I can't really compare the two games. It's been like that since closed beta for me =/.

I had that problem from launcher window, There's a "validate game assets" option in settings of launch window. I did that and it fixed the problem, gl.

#26 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

View PostCol Forbin, on 21 November 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

I would call it competition if I'm playing it instead of MWO. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Why does everyone HAVE to play PS2 if they aren't playing MWO? Seems ridiculous, there are lots of other non-PS2 games out there.

#27 Hood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 256 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

This should be a dead thread imho.. your comparing apples to oranges. Now if you wanted to comment on what you think is wrong with the game.. lots of other threads on that. :/

#28 Col Forbin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

View PostTaryys, on 21 November 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

If by semantics you mean definitions of the words, then yes.
If you chose to ignore what the words mean then there are going to be problems

I don't think the problem is me ignoring the meaning of words, it is of the developer's trying to force a label on something it is clearly not.

There are loads of ways they could have increased their beta userbase without resorting to "public", and "open."

#29 mattkachu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationTaranna, Ontario

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

View PostTaryys, on 21 November 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

Look, I appreciate what you are trying to say OP. None of us in the closed beta wanted the game to release, but that does not matter, since it was not PGi's call. We are here. The game is in open beta, a real BETA.

All of us would like for the game to have been underwritten by a large studio so they could take as long as they wanted to get things right, but that is not what the case is. MWO is underwritten by a small firm, and Open Beta therefore actually means open beta. Comparisons like this are not at all helpful and are constructive towards help PGI more forward. We are in open beta and there is no going back.

We need to suck it up and be part of the solution.

But its not beta. Who are you trying to fool? Anyone calling MWO "open beta" has been brainwashed. Right now in its current state, its a open alpha. They're still adding and fixing CORE content, to a game thats not 20% completed to THEIR launch standard.

Beta is the final adressing of stability and balance. This game breaks down (crashes to desktop, client not responding, memory leak, etc) ~1/8 games. Heaven forbid mechlab not saving loadouts, so people jump into battle with 1/2 their gear...

Game's not finished. Still alpha. We have to wait

Edited by mattkachu, 21 November 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#30 Taryys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

Ok fine, be that way.
Yes you are pointing out things that could be improved. Fair enough.
But comparing these 2 games is not at all fair for many of the reasons posted here.

One is in a real beta with a small company and one is released and underwritten by a major corporation.
Its like comparing Walmart to the mom and pop grocery store.

View PostCol Forbin, on 21 November 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

Not helpful or constructive? Are you talking about the large, detailed post I wrote on what MWO could do to make the game feel like it's remotely close to a finished product?

#31 Col Forbin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

View PostAC, on 21 November 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

I can't agree more. One of the most popular MW4 game styles as the assault game, where 1 team had to assault a fortress or drop ship that the other team was holding. Or destroy some objective the other team was protecting. That game style was played up until MWO rolled out. That speaks volumes to a Mechwarrior game that was over 10 years old.

Yes, I love those game types.... BF3 has a good mode like that. The attacker/defender type.

#32 Taryys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

Agreed. Again none of us wanted to go open beta. PGI did not really want to go open beta.
It was not their call. It is PGI's call. A minimum viable product for open beta or no game.

This is reality and what we are given. Hashing it over and over again is not really useful.

It is just kind of tiring.
We all know. We all agree.

View PostCol Forbin, on 21 November 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

I don't think the problem is me ignoring the meaning of words, it is of the developer's trying to force a label on something it is clearly not.

There are loads of ways they could have increased their beta userbase without resorting to "public", and "open."

#33 Pendraco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 469 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Hmmmm...This PS2 game sounds fantastic! Let me know the instant they include Big Stompy robots from the Battletech universe and I will leave MWO forever.

#34 RedHairDave

• 1,299 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

View PostSamantha, on 21 November 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

Did anyone else wee themselves laughing when they read this? Surely I can't be the only one rofl.

every patch hasnt been wonderful for everyone, but it has for me. why have i never had a problem, if its broken?

#35 Samantha

Clone

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 21 November 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

Why does everyone HAVE to play PS2 if they aren't playing MWO? Seems ridiculous, there are lots of other non-PS2 games out there.

PS2 is more fun for them probably so they play it, besides there's no replayability in MWO atm unless you have ocd tendencies and like shoebox team deathmatch. "Because it's mechwarrior" does have limits ;)

#36 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

View PostSamantha, on 21 November 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

PS2 is more fun for them probably so they play it, besides there's no replayability in MWO atm unless you have ocd tendencies and like shoebox team deathmatch. "Because it's mechwarrior" does have limits ;)

Okay, but the question was actually "why PS2 when there are LOTS of other games", not "what is MWO doing wrong".

#37 Samantha

Clone

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

View PostRedHairDave, on 21 November 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

every patch hasnt been wonderful for everyone, but it has for me. why have i never had a problem, if its broken?

Because you were born under the lucky star, was blessed by the sacred tree, so bad things to you only happen to other people. ;)

There's alot of people not as lucky :D

#38 Reoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Star Citizen, you can buy things. The game isn't even in Alpha yet and it's Kickstarter finished only yesterday. Firefall also had a "founders program" it's also in closed beta at this stage. When Tribes Ascend had a pre-order, it was a good 8 months or so before launching. Putting money up at an early stage of game development is a risk, nobody holds a gun to your head and demands you do it.

MWO is in Beta and Planetside 2 is an official launch. They're not the same thing, and one clearly has an advantage in regards to the size of the team and funding from the producer. PGI have said all along that they're only a small team and (see down there?) They're hiring for more. I'm not saying MWO doesn't need work, nor that everything is perfect. But it's not PGI's fault that some User's expectations were higher than they ought to be. Yes I'd like the game to be perfect and fully featured, but it's not and that doesn't particularly surprise me during beta.

Constructive criticism with reasons and evidence and suggestions for how to improve things would have been more useful. Comparing a AAA launch game to a small dev team beta is a hyperbole (and outright lie, when you claim they're both in beta).

#39 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

to be honest ps2 also have craploads of bugs and many people are rubbebending or warping around. ps2 also featuring full cheaters package complete with autoaim. 360 up to 5km radar etc (and we all painfuly aware that all network related issues are payment for close to zero chance to see those in mwo) but ye, they will fix them faster.

#40 Rotaugen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.... ;)

Just like the French Revolution, your experience may vary.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users