What If The Devs Are Just "staying True To Lore" By Keeping The Gauss Rifle As It Is.

13 replies to this topic

#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

I think I've stumbled across an explaination for the Gauss Rifle's excellent in-game perforance: If you look at the BT Lore, you find that every time someone has the opportunity, they swap out their AC/10 or AC/20 for a Gauss RIfle. Whenever a House gets their hands on Gauss, it goes straight into their Mechs where the AC used to be. ComStar? They loaded up Gauss on their "Clan Buster" Mechs in prep for the Tukayyid battles.

I think it's possible that the Developers are preparing us for the Clan Invasion by encouraging the use of Gauss whenever possible instead of the autocannon. That wouild explain why this is the first MechWarrior game in franchise history where the Gauss Rifle has the same Rate-of-Fire as autocannons - it's engineered obsolenscence for the autocannon.

Now, here are some images that have nothing to do with my post...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Prosperity Park, 21 November 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#2 Axeman1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

If you have a problem with guass you haven't been hit by a dual ac/20 yet which has the ability to straight up core mechs in 2 shots.

#3 LionOne

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

BT Gauss Rifles have a minimum range, just like PPCs. It's not built IAW with lore as implemented.

Next slide.

#4 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

View PostAxeman1, on 21 November 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

If you have a problem with guass you haven't been hit by a dual ac/20 yet which has the ability to straight up core mechs in 2 shots.

I rock the Quad PPC hunchback, and got tired of using the Dual aC/20 cat back before it was cool... ;)

Edited by Prosperity Park, 21 November 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#5 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

If they wanted to stay true to the lore... Wouldn't we all be necessarily upgrading to Double Heat Sinks and ER or pulse weaponry, and Awesomes delier constant barrages of PPCs in their stock config without overheating within 9 seconds?

I remain unconvinced.

#6 Purlana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

2 Shots? You mean 1 shot, with dual AC/20s! My favorite is hitting a jenner or raven, and getting credit for destroying every single component on their mech.

;)

Edited by Purlana, 21 November 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#7 Polarice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

I would like to see gauss feedback implimented. Crits on the gauss making feedback go to your neuro helmet and making your screen all fuzzy to show the feedback.

#8 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

That is a glass cannon if there ever was one. Slow and unable to hit anything at range.

#9 Like a Sir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 589 posts
  • LocationUSA NW

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 21 November 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

If they wanted to stay true to the lore... Wouldn't we all be necessarily upgrading to Double Heat Sinks and ER or pulse weaponry, and Awesomes delier constant barrages of PPCs in their stock config without overheating within 9 seconds?

I remain unconvinced.

How did you make your AWS last this long before overheating? Tell me your secrets!

#10 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

In BT the only advantage of AC was flak shells against flying units...we dont have flying units(If you dont count JJets) so what? ;)

#11 Axeman1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostBilbo, on 21 November 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

That is a glass cannon if there ever was one. Slow and unable to hit anything at range.

Catapults are 70kph stock with speed tweak. Faster than most things on the battlefield without even upgrading the engine.

#12 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostLike a Sir, on 21 November 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

How did you make your AWS last this long before overheating? Tell me your secrets!

In TT an awesome -8Q can fire alphas for 30 seconds straight before seeing even the most minor heat effects.

#13 ReD3y3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

gauss is a good weapon.

we need to work on bringing other weapons up to gauss tier not bring gauss down tiers.

#14 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostAxeman1, on 21 November 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

Catapults are 70kph stock with speed tweak. Faster than most things on the battlefield without even upgrading the engine.

A dual AC/20 Cat is anything but stock.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users