#1 NutUpOrShutUp

• Pip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Hello,
I'm having a video card issue. Hopefully I explain this properly.....(fingers crossed).
I've just purchased a brand new Dell laptop, here's the spec's:

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model Inspiron 7720
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4
Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total size of hard disk(s) 918 GB
Disk partition (C:) 809 GB Free (918 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
Graphics
Display adapter type Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Total available graphics memory 1696 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1632 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.697
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10
Network
Network Adapter Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230
Network Adapter Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Notes
The gaming graphics score is based on the primary graphics adapter. If this system has linked or multiple graphics adapters, some software applications may see additional performance benefits.

I've got a NVIDIA GT 650M installed and device manager says its working fine with the latest driver. I've configured the NVIDIA control panel to use this video card (650M) when MWO is run. However my problem/confusion comes from when I turn off the integrated video card (in device manager) shown on the pasted in spec's above. Then MWO will not run at all and gives a "unsupported device error". I know for a fact others are using the GT 650M video card with this game from other forum posts. So how is it that I can run the game using both video cards enabled, but not with the better of the two as the only one enabled?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Aznpersuasion89

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

laptop is your problem

#3 NutUpOrShutUp

• Pip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

So I tried uninstalling the driver for the intergrated video card, then tried opening MWO. It would not open and still gave the unsupported device error. Then I tried uninstalling MWO and reinstalling it with only the NVIDIA GT650M card enabled, and it still would not open MWO and still gave the error.

Now I'm stumped as the only thing I can figure is there has to be some kind of load sharing, or pass through going on where my system has to use both video cards because it runs like crap with the integrated disabled.

I hate this part but I guess I've got to call Dell support and spend 3 hours arguing with a foreigner over what is actually wrong with my laptop.....hopefully they speak english this time.

#4 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

Try disabling your integrated graphics in the BIOS

#5 N7Commander

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

i hav an inspiron N4010 n um gettin the same prob and where can i find the BIOS

#6 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostN7Commander, on 25 November 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

i hav an inspiron N4010 n um gettin the same prob and where can i find the BIOS

Seriously?

usually, pressing the "del" key during boot-up will allow you to access the BIOS. Usually. (DISCLAIMER: I do not play on laptops so my POV is from a desktop perspective.)

#7 N7Commander

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

ok and the video card is y im always lagging in-game?

#8 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

View PostN7Commander, on 25 November 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

ok and the video card is y im always lagging in-game?

Maybe

it can be one or all of the following possible bottlenecks: the fact that it's not really a gaming Laptop, or it's the cpu, video, or RAM

#9 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

Optimus should have it automatically switching to the dedicated card on launch. . but the 650m is NOT a very powerful card. It may be that the performance just isn't there in the first place.

I know the 5870m and 460m were down to unplayable FPS as of patch before last, and I haven't tried my 570m lately [though that one is several cuts above either the 650m OR the 5870/460m] I may give it a shot in the morning and get back to ya. . because if THAT one is unplayable, there's not much that can be done.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users