What Is The Point?

35 replies to this topic

#1 Evinco

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Why is their an ability to communicate with the enemy team? Was watching a team player pointing out where the other were who were still alive. Is this working as intended?

#2 Prophet of Entropy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 319 posts
  • LocationStar Kingdom of Manticore

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

yea it sucks when your team mates dont appreciate you running away and leaving them to die.

what i have said more often then telling the apposing team where the coward is, is congratulating a particularly capable pilot.

but yes id say this is an intended feature.

#3 Quxudica

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

View PostProphet of Entropy, on 19 November 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

yea it sucks when your team mates dont appreciate you running away and leaving them to die.

what i have said more often then telling the apposing team where the coward is, is congratulating a particularly capable pilot.

but yes id say this is an intended feature.

It's for testing purposes. No legitimate competitive game like this would allow map-wide two way team communication. Some games allow you to "overhear" enemy voice chat if you are near them but that's about it. Of course most games also don't allow the dead players to help the living ones either.

#4 Prophet of Entropy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

its a pvp game sure, but its a not a competitive game. no community warfare. and there are fps multi player game that have opposing team comms.

most games that dont have had it removed so the GMs dont have to deal with buthurt losers who rage.

#5 DrAwkward

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

View PostQuxudica, on 19 November 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

It's for testing purposes. No legitimate competitive game like this would allow map-wide two way team communication. Some games allow you to "overhear" enemy voice chat if you are near them but that's about it. Of course most games also don't allow the dead players to help the living ones either.

Counterstrike (every flavor), Quake 3, Starcraft 1&2, Zero Hour, TF2, Battlefield 1942, Unreal Tournament (every type), etc. all allowed for cross team communication. As for dead player communication, I think most of those allowed it too.

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

Is that any way for someone from Manticore to talk? If Honor heard that she'd have yer hide.

#7 BunnyBread

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Sometimes I like to say "nice shot" or "good fight" to a particularly skilled opponent, is that wrong? Also, aren't the grid positions different for the other team?

#8 damonvile

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

Most online pvp games I know have cross team chat. They also have rules against giving away your own team.

I can think of a few examples of why the last mech shouldn't have to just rush in to die because everyone else is dead out of ammo, no weapons, hud bug ect ). They still lose with the rest of their team hiding and there's no reason why you should be giving their position away.

Too many people think 2 wrongs make a right.

#9 Prophet of Entropy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

sorry got out of hand there.

#10 Vermaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Niko, maybe you could tell us if the PGI Importants intend to leave the cross comms in final? Then lock the thread? Because it's just going to continue to be an argument over here.

#11 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

I think it's helpful to get some quick jokes in while we're walking to one another, reporting a DC team member so the game can actually end and I can get my mech back, congratulating someone on a good shot, make helpful comments to dead newbies on the other team who were shooting lrms in minimum range. There's also the taunting that occaisionally needs to be done...

As for immersion... think of it like broadcasting on all channels, anyone who'se listening can pick the signal up.

#12 StoneMason

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 92 posts
  • LocationKathil

I'll power down if my head is stripped and type "Ejected" into all chat. Most games I'll keep fighting but if we've already lost I won't let myself get pasted over the back of my cockpit for nothing.

All chat is standard in EVERY FPS EVER. Once C3 is integrated it'd be cool to see all talk voice. This lets teams challenge each other, bid or declare Zell, even negotiate a win if you are Mercs. Jam up hostile comms with some Elvis?

#13 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

As I have been playing in Pug matches I think it is there for MY Team to Plead for Mercy from the Organized Team

#14 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

...What kind of screwed up games are you playing?

#15 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Yeah I'd really love either a mute option for the entire enemy team, or the removal of team/team unless they have some kind of commander package.

I just love hearing people broadcast their team website and how much better than us they are as they 8-1 each person to death.

#16 Prophet of Entropy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

thread wasnt moderated cause of the content. only cause of the flame war me and evinco got in.

#17 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

And my point stands, it would be nice to get an actual company response instead of just sanitization.

#18 Prophet of Entropy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

moderators arent empoylees, they are volunteers.

#19 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

They got rid of this in 'Tanks?

View PostVermaxx, on 19 November 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

And my point stands, it would be nice to get an actual company response instead of just sanitization.

good luck with that idea

#20 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Smack talk. It's all about the smack talk.

Please don't take that away from me...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users