1V2 Rules

15 replies to this topic

#1 Warchanter

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Yeah yeah I know - if you're playing as a team it shouldn't happen, yadda yadda... I was the dope that went back to guard the base (by myself naturally). So here comes the obligatory Jenner out of the cave on PolarBear World heading for our base and a big dumb phract 4X loping along with him spewing bullets all over the place... so I gotta deal with a scout and a ballistic heavy. No pug teammates in sight, they're all off looking for fur seals or somethin...

I'm driving my workhorse Cat C-1 with a 285 std (71kph), 352 pts of armor and 19 dbl heatsinks with 3LL and 2 streaks. I know can run circles around the phract and I have like zero heat issues, I can pound the 3 LL all day. So do I:

A - Focus the Jenner (who's bouncing around like a gymnast on the floor exercise) and hope I can dodge around the 70 ton machine gun with legs OR,

B - Hammer the phract and let the Jenner gets his shots in OR,

C - Shoot whatever shows up in front of me OR,

D - Run away and hope they seperate so I can focus one, but give up the cap momentarily.

For the record I chose C, put out about 500 pts of damage (like 2nd or 3rd in the match) and died without taking anyone with me so I'm thinking I should have picked a or b or d. Any basic rules for this situation? (1v2 and the 2 is scout/whatever combo)...

Discuss.

Edited by Warchanter, 25 November 2012 - 09:15 PM.

#2 Franchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • Locationplaying something else.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

take the phract first, 2 streak launchers isn't enough to take a jener out fast, CT the phract then worry about the jenner.

In that death trap of a base (I'm assuming hill side) you will not be able to hit the jenner reliably with the lasers so taking it first is just a bad idea. All you will do by going for the jenner is give the phract your back making you a dead cat.

Edited by Franchi, 25 November 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#3 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

If they're at your base, you use your mobility over the CTF to try to keep the base structure between you and him, then you shoot the jenner enough to try to run him off. It's tricky to pull off, but IMO against two mechs you're probably just going to lose if their pilots aren't asleep at the wheel anyways.

#4 Poptimus Rhyme Wallace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

This really depends on the build, in your case i would've disarmed the phract then tried to leg the jenner, shoot targets of opportunity, go for C by my book.

Of course I would'nt be running a Cat at all, so i cant honestly give accurate feedback.

#5 nimrodusmaximus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

I'd go for the Cataphract. You'll lose too much time and damage trying to take out the Jenner (unless the Jenner sucks). The Cataphract is the biggest threat and the easiest target. My $0.02. The Jenner's threat is getting behind you, so that's the thing you have to worry about the most.

Of course, if the Jenner is stupid enough to stand still and present itself as an easy target, I'd give him an alpha.

#6 Warchanter

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Yeah my feeling on it is I shoulda just went with the Phract... he wasn't exactly a marksman...

#7 Lefty Lucy

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

View PostWarchanter, on 25 November 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

Yeah my feeling on it is I shoulda just went with the Phract... he wasn't exactly a marksman...

Here's why focusing on the cataphract is a bad idea:

If you have LoS to him, he likely has LoS to you. Meaning you're shooting each other, and the jenner is shooting you too.

If you keep the structure between you and the cataphract, you can take pot shots at the jenner until he runs off, and the cataphract can't shoot you at all. If the jenner goes away, you can hold up a single cataphract at your own base indefinitely.

#8 nimrodusmaximus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 25 November 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

If you keep the structure between you and the cataphract, you can take pot shots at the jenner until he runs off, and the cataphract can't shoot you at all. If the jenner goes away, you can hold up a single cataphract at your own base indefinitely.

If you're capable of loosing LoS on the Cataphract and still hit the Jenner, more power to you; but I'm going to guess that most pilots wouldn't be able to do that effectively... Well, at least I don't think I could do that...

#9 Warchanter

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

I guess I shoulda mentioned we weren't actually rolling around in the base... I came off my hill and started back-shotting the phract about 100m from the base after the jenner went past so I didn't have the structure as an option... shoulda went in there maybe?

#10 Franchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • Locationplaying something else.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

View PostWarchanter, on 25 November 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

I guess I shoulda mentioned we weren't actually rolling around in the base... I came off my hill and started back-shotting the phract about 100m from the base after the jenner went past so I didn't have the structure as an option... shoulda went in there maybe?

Only if you needed to contest the cap, if they don't force you to block them than use your superior speed (to the phract) in terrain that allows a little more movement.

Pulling them away from cap is actually better than fighting them on cap.

My original strat still applies tho.

#11 Obadiah333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 638 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, Oregon

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

Use mobility and cover as you can. Keep the Jenner 'targeted' for the streaks, maybe it will scare him off. At the least it will make him wary. Use your lasers on the phract and try and hit and run. Definately don't go toe to toe with it.

"Luck often enough, will save a man, if his courage hold." 13th Warrior

#12 Spitz

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

I would definitely try to pop the jenner with the streaks and a quick shot from the lasers if you get that initial shot before he gets right up to you. This should put him on the defensive. He should know better than to keep pushing at that moment. Then concentrate on the phract. If your much faster then you should be able to spread the damage by keeping mobile and keeping his shots off target until you can take him down. If the jenner went for base then even better. He now has to limit his movements or pull out. Then hopefully with some good shots you can take out the jenner.

#13 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

I choose B for two reasons. The Cataphract is so big that hitting him is a sure thing and they are easy kills in my opinion. Secondly most mechs tend to get lazy when they feel like you're not targeting them. When the jenner stands still because you're focusing the cataphract you can get a pretty good hit on him. If you focus the jenner right away he keeps moving and is a tougher target consistantly.

Edited by Soulscour, 25 November 2012 - 10:51 PM.

#14 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

as above, phract is the biggest threat, biggest target and easiest to kill quickly in all likelihood

#15 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

Leave Jenner targetted (I assume you have 360 retention? it is ever so nice with streaks) and streak him when he shows up, meanwhile keep on at the cataphract with your lasers, you will sacrifice seeing where exactly you are hurting him but if you keep going slightly to one side of the ct (so if lagshield or unsteady aim you will reliably hit either the ct or same side). If the Jenner stands still at any point do not streak him till your lasers are ready and you should be able to finish him with that. Try really hard not to take too much damage from cataphract until jenner is gone or definitely chased off.

#16 HavocReign

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

"I was lucky with the order. But I've always been lucky when it comes to killin' folks." Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users