165 replies to this topic

#121 Seraphax

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 44 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

Premium tanks weren't the problem. Premium Ammo was. I love the idea of hero mechs and this one looks fun as long as they NEVER EVER EVER use premium ammo. You should be able to get something different for supporting the game with your money, not something better. The Ilya is simply something different, I don't see how it can out perform most other mechs, I'm just going to buy it because it's cool. I can fit more ammo more lasers and better heat management on my 3D to trade the possibility of more burst damage from the Ilya.

#122 Mindwiper

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Non Canon heroes to sell a new variant of a new mech...AWESOME=> NOT!!!

That happens when you don't have the guts to make an Unseen approach!!

Every CAT Historical Hot Spot has a customized Canon Hero Battlemech in it and as already said, they have in their 3039 TRO nice Notable Pilots, but you have to invent a new char...
I see where this is going and I don't like it.

Winter is coming for this game! Maybe Blake's Nuclear winter!

#123 Darkmoose

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSTL MO

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

Why an Apocryphal Pilot, why not use one of the hundreds that already exist for that era.

#124 Chacatumbi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 131 posts
  • LocationDetroit, Michigan

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostUrza Mechwalker, on 28 November 2012 - 02:33 AM, said:

peopel are too fearful of anything. Slightly different hardpoints will not ruin the game! Its not liek they are giving us a mech with ECM slot BAp slot, jump jet slots, 6 energy slots 4 missile slots and 4 ballistic slots, with a base engine of 320.

The yen lo wang in fact was a VERY underpowered mech. THis cataphtrac is also less versatile than the others. SO people need to stop moaning for nothing.

You are wrong sir. Some mech hardpoints are more the style of a player than others. And to force someone to buy a mech variant with MC to get the hardpoints you want is too greedy.

#125 Martini Henrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationNottingham UK

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

View PostChacatumbi, on 29 November 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

You are wrong sir. Some mech hardpoints are more the style of a player than others. And to force someone to buy a mech variant with MC to get the hardpoints you want is too greedy.

Not at all, there is nobody forcing you at all. Wanting, isn't needing, and to be honest if you need it then you will buy it. Good sales strategy to me. Another plus is, like the Wang, it won't be game breaking just different. We already have one that can mount 4 auto cannons, maybe just not the four you want, but that's by the by.

I look forward to this mech, even though I haven't piloted a Cata yet. They are next on my list to max out XP on.

#126 anglomanii

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Location=]DI[= Brisbane Australia

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:17 AM

CTF-IM Cataphract "Ilya Muromets" - Grigori Kovalenko's variant runs 2 Medium Lasers, 2 AC/5s, 1 AC/10, 1 Small Laser (This is a non-canon 'Mech, specifically designed for MechWarrior Online).

and i have absolutely no problem with this..i want to see more of this and not just for things like hero mechs... as long as they keep to what PGI originally said and stay faithful to the broad story of the BT/MW universe, i wont even sweat this stuff. all it can do is add to the game.

Edited by anglomanii, 30 November 2012 - 03:18 AM.

#127 LtCasey

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMechhangar

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

I own the other 4 toads, and I will buy this one, definitly. Got something really weird in my mind with this build. Hope it works. :wub:

#128 Pr8Dator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

Buying this just to make a Triple Gauss Phract a reality hehehhee (it may be a ***** using or even a glass cannon but hey, its going to be fun. :wub: )

#129 Barsov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 119 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, Spinward Sector

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

To be more close to the Russian mythology prototype Ilya Muromets must be an assault Battlemech - Highlander.
Muromets was a huge strong knight, a legendary man (analogue Greek Hercules).
Also Ilya traveled together with two his friends brothers in arms Dobrynya Nikitich (true Cataphract) and Alyosha Popovich (can be Trebuchet).
Posted Image

Edited by Barsov, 30 November 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#130 Ram71

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 90 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

would have prefered something other than a cataphract ... spose i'll be saving my mc a bit longer.

#131 Cola

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSheridan

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

I will kill everyone of these things above all else. PGI is starting to take too many libertys with cannon. Whats next? They start rolling out there own mechs. And yes I know mektek did it and it got canonized, and I was ok with that because they kept battle tech alive for years when it was left to die by microsoft.

#132 Vweegit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts
  • LocationEvans, NY, USA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

View PostMonky, on 28 November 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

orbmonky is my profile in WOT, 60% win ratio, most games played = type 59. Even as someone who played casually, it was very clear it was a superior tank. Are there better tanks? Sure, but they are all higher tier. Even the T-44 wasn't too rough to handle when you went hull down.

Additionally, and everyone seems to be missing this, you have 3 medium lasers backing up your UAC5's. The quad AC2 build can at best, when gimping itself on heat and ammo or armor, fit 2. That's an additional 3.75 DPS for as long as you can handle the heat, and is effective enough to repel or destroy lights that the UAC5's would have a hard(er) time with.

addittionally, I'd like to focus on this piece of broken logic as I see it pop up all the time;

Why exactly was it fun to play? Well, it was fast and responsive. But other tanks where too, so that can't be it. So it must have packed a good, reliable punch. But other tanks did too, so that can't be it, it must be because it was respectably armored, but that can't be it, because other things did too..... oh wait, I think I see it, it's because it had all of those factors, where few if any other tanks did. That is what is going on here with this hero mech, and it is why you will see these things in gangs pubstomping and wrecking other teams, and causing the game to be bland and un-fun.

I really don't want to get drawn into a WoT debate here, but I feel I have to point out a few things:

1.) You have a 54% win ratio. That is a very long way off from 60%, especially over your 5k+ games. I have a 61% - can I round that up to 70%? ;)
2.) Your interpretation of the T-59 is completely wrong. It is a mediocre tank at best. Speaking as a player of better-than-average ability, I delighted in seeing those tanks on the other side. I can, and have often, made lunchmeat of them in my Tier 5 lights. Regardless, even in-tier, they were terrible. They have a few glaring weaknesses. (I also have alot of games in the -59. I've been on both sides of the fence.)
3.) What made them a problem when they were released was the fact that one team always got the vast majority of them. They received favorable matchmaking, coupled with that, so they were often the most powerful tanks on the field, or very nearly so; they got to beat up on the lower tiered tanks with impunity. Once matchmaking was normalized and no longer stacked one team with 6 of them, and no longer gave them lower matchmaking than other tier 8s, the problem disappeared.

Given that you so wildly misinterpreted that phase of WoT's life, I don't find any surprise that you're in the doom-and-gloom camp on one mech chassis. The End of Times Clan was wrong about the Gausscat (OMFG DOOOOM) and they'll be wrong about this. (DOOOOOM!)

Seriously, its not worth getting bent out of shape over. I'm still going to kill them - so are you. If their combination of weapons is strong, figure out where that combination is weak, and hit them from that direction. I have yet to find anything I can't kill reliably in this game.

on edit and off-topic:
As Oxer pointed out: Nice to see another Luchs fan. Haha. It is still one of my favorite tanks in the game, despite being woefully crappy in its matchmaking.

Edited by Vweegit, 30 November 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#133 River Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 836 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

I be getting all the Cataphracts Mechs for my Bays.
I am so pleased to have a hero Mech as part of the class I am building.
I did not much care for the Wang because its number one gun gets blown off all the time, so making good Cbill with it is a joke.

#134 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

View Postwanderer, on 27 November 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

Nothing says "Love" like triple tapping Gauss rifles into your face from 1000m away.

Well PGI has already shown they are willing to break lore and implant whatever they feel like for the sake of a buck. If they wanted a mech with the ability to mount 3 Gauss Rifles they should have just put the Thunder Hawk into the game and slapped a cash price on to get it over with.

#135 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

View PostVweegit, on 30 November 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

I really don't want to get drawn into a WoT debate here, but I feel I have to point out a few things:

1.) You have a 54% win ratio. That is a very long way off from 60%, especially over your 5k+ games. I have a 61% - can I round that up to 70%? :)
2.) Your interpretation of the T-59 is completely wrong. It is a mediocre tank at best. Speaking as a player of better-than-average ability, I delighted in seeing those tanks on the other side. I can, and have often, made lunchmeat of them in my Tier 5 lights. Regardless, even in-tier, they were terrible. They have a few glaring weaknesses. (I also have alot of games in the -59. I've been on both sides of the fence.)
3.) What made them a problem when they were released was the fact that one team always got the vast majority of them. They received favorable matchmaking, coupled with that, so they were often the most powerful tanks on the field, or very nearly so; they got to beat up on the lower tiered tanks with impunity. Once matchmaking was normalized and no longer stacked one team with 6 of them, and no longer gave them lower matchmaking than other tier 8s, the problem disappeared.

Given that you so wildly misinterpreted that phase of WoT's life, I don't find any surprise that you're in the doom-and-gloom camp on one mech chassis. The End of Times Clan was wrong about the Gausscat (OMFG DOOOOM) and they'll be wrong about this. (DOOOOOM!)

Seriously, its not worth getting bent out of shape over. I'm still going to kill them - so are you. If their combination of weapons is strong, figure out where that combination is weak, and hit them from that direction. I have yet to find anything I can't kill reliably in this game.

on edit and off-topic:
As Oxer pointed out: Nice to see another Luchs fan. Haha. It is still one of my favorite tanks in the game, despite being woefully crappy in its matchmaking.

Like I said, I'm done arguing it, but you're confusing my overall win loss rate (fairly average) with my type 59 win loss rate (60%) which pretty much invalidates anyone saying it isn't an advantage to have. Also, people delight in -noobs- in type 59's because they don't know how to keep their sides covered and not be flanked. Hull down is what makes the tank win, and it has the speed and firepower to make that happen, all of which you pay to get and can't acquire in another tank of that tier. Every other medium has weak turret armor and average mobility, and usually questionable hull armor in exchange for a slightly better gun.

edit - went and added it up again and it's 57.5% in my type 59 vs my 54% average, which is less than I had remembered but still well outside the realm of 'statistical blip', particularly because my total win loss is brought up significantly by it.

Edited by Monky, 30 November 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#136 MorsMortis

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostCodeNameValtus, on 27 November 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

I'm not sure that's entirely possible on this small a frame. 70 tons doesn't leave a whole lot of room for 45 tons worth of ballistics, not to mention the ammo you need to carry to support those (I run 6 tons with 2 Gauss, I'd imagine I'd need to get upwards of 8-9 tons of ammo squeezed in on this guy to get enough shots off). So that's ~54 tons in weapons +7tons on an endosteel frame +engine +extras....

Ya that's probably not going to happen.

Edit: Yep. Tried throwing this together in MechMekLab. I'm at 76/70 tons. I guess you could do it with 3 tons of ammo....good luck with your 10 shoot clip. Don't miss. Besides, it'll take you ~3 shots with all 3 to core an Atlas CT. So that leaves you with 7 shots for the rest of the enemy team, and better hope they don't have 2 Assaults that you need to deal with. Not to mention you are literally limping around with a Standard 100 Engine.

That's hoping you get a useless fatlas pilot too! Now I'm not too bad a pilot yet I know I would have taken at least one gauss away maybe 2 with that crappy armor! Or maybe you could run away and hide to rethink your strategy, but then I travel at 61.8kph, to be fair I'm more concerned with streakcats. They bother me more than any other build right now.

#137 MeerKatV

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

View PostThontor, on 30 November 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

The Ilya doesn't break the lore, it adds to it

And the ability to mount 3 gauss rifles was not one of the things "PGI wanted" when they designed the hardpoints. They have said themselves it will be a death trap with that load out.

Agreed, the Gauss + 2xAC2 combo mentioned earlier in this thread looks much better than 3xGauss. This is really a matter of trusting PGI to bend the lore to enhance the game without breaking it. For me, the fact that I can start my Premium time whenever I want makes me inclined to the trust side.

#138 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

View PostThontor, on 30 November 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

The Ilya doesn't break the lore, it adds to it

And the ability to mount 3 gauss rifles was not one of the things "PGI wanted" when they designed the hardpoints. They have said themselves it will be a death trap with that load out.

No, what it does is supplant other valid canon Hero variants of the timeline. The words "Add to" reminds me of the military excuse to bend regulations to do whatever the hell you feel like at the expense of others. If the ability to mount three gauss rifles doesnt bother you that is fine but that 3xUAC5 + 3 Med Laser build is going to shred almost anything in seconds and it's the only 'Mech chassis capable of doing it while not having to sacrifice anything. If it follows the route of YLW it will also have some form of gaining bonus to go with it. Think on that for a minute.

Edited by Sennin, 01 December 2012 - 07:36 AM.

#139 Urza Mechwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBrazil, Santa Catarina

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

What I want to know is HOW MUCH it will cost? I hope not over 5500. Because I still want to save for the Rhonda's highlander.. adn that mech is NOT OPTIONAL >> DIDYOU HEAR PGI? NOT OPTIONAL!!!!

#140 Tsunamisan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

If all the ballistics are in different location this would be a prim exampl of a Pay to Win mech. Essentiually putclassing everything else in its mech class. Not even assault mech can match the efficiancy of a 2 gauss mech and if this on can carry 3 then well thats going to be way over the top specially for a premium mech.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users