Steel Battalion controller and win 7 64-Bit drivers

417 replies to this topic

#101 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

View Postshotokan5, on 27 September 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

Man you guys have worked hard. No one wants a stick more than me. In a little over a month I will not be changing files or such Most joysticks
will be working. I traded two Husky's and 10 lbs of dog food for this info. I know the game was ment to be played with a stick and they think so to. I can't go into dedails but they have to put all the ingredients in the stew before they put in the last sezening. They will not get the hotsause
until they have finished. We have waited this long and I can not wait to set up the stick and get sweet revenge.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Great work and it will be here before you know it. Don't worry be happy.

I"m sorry but I don't understand what you're saying. If it wasn't for the legendary Founder tag, I'd almost think it was a bot talking

#102 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

View Postvon Pilsner, on 27 September 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

That may be a better question for HackNFly, but I would make sure you are in 'Test Mode' (I'm pretty sure it is still required, but too lazy to switch my computer to test today), uninstall PPJoy,
Download and unzip the newest version of the driver: Steel-Batallion-64_v2_beta.zip.
Re-install the SB LibUSB Driver. Verify that it finds the controller (in device manager).
Posted Image

Add the user.cfg changes or the Y-Axis and throttle may be wrong.

Then I would delete my '\MechWarrior Online\USER\Profiles\von Pilsner\actionmaps.xml' file, restart the game and re-bind 'throttle' to the throttle stick on the controller and save the options.

NOTE: if the POV / weapon group control seems twitchy remap the 4 'Weapon Group Hilight' commands to 'button0' (trigger/sub weapon) one at a time. Then remap 'button0' back to 'Fire Selected Weapon Group' and save your options.

Download site: Steel-Batallion-64_v2_beta.zip (local copy)
LibUSBDotNet_Setup.2.2.8 (local copy)
Download MWO profile: BvP-MWO.cs
Example user.cfg
Button diagram here.
Explanation of the toggle switches: toggle.txt.

If you need to you can check that VJoy controller is configured correctly with vJoyConf.
Posted Image
If you get the twitchy POV you can actually select '0 POVs' and the thumbstick will still work in-game.

Hope that helps, I bet HackNFly will have more suggestions if you can't get it working.

I'm glad you've helped me out with this, I feel like I"m getting documentation for free. An easy test would be to run the program, press the start button, place the mouse in the text box and press the main fire button and see if it types out a key

Second go in game and press one of the buttons that von Pilsner has mapped, such as the main weapon button, since that is linked directly to emulating a key, it doesn't matter if you have the joystick set up properly in game, it will react just as if you had pressed that key.

Make sure you're working with the new version thats based off of a GUI, and you do have to be in Test mode for vJoy to work properly I believe.

Also, can anyone else confirm that my code for the dual left pedal works? I tested it tonight and it works for me. Press left pedal and middle or right pedal and you should use jumpjets.

#103 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

I"m having some trouble with the profile. when i flip the flit toggle, nothing happens with the trigger, its set to Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput.Key.NoConvert , which I have no idea what it is. suggestions?

#104 NightlyReaper

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSoutheastern US

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:19 PM

View Postvon Pilsner, on 25 September 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

Installed and it's working in windows, not I just gotta figure out how to write my own config file... :P

Thanks for the hard work, HackNFly!

I would like to second that, von Pilsner!

Great work HackNFly! I have not been able to find time to get in the sim to get everything installed, but I am confident in your code.

I hope to get in there%2

#105 von Pilsner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:38 AM

View PostHackNFly, on 27 September 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

I"m having some trouble with the profile. when i flip the flit toggle, nothing happens with the trigger, its set to Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput.Key.NoConvert , which I have no idea what it is. suggestions?

The trigger can show up to the game as either a joystick button or keyboard key depending on the position of the FILT switch.

If FILT Toggle is down your Sub Weapon (trigger) is 'Fire Selected' Joystick 'Button0'
If FILT Toggle is up your Sub Weapon (trigger) is 'Alpha Strike' Keyboard '\'

I did not know how to unbind both joystick buttons and keyboard keys so I use NoConvert to unbind the alpha strike when the toggle is down (and enable joystick 'button0').

If it's not doing 'fire selected' when the toggle is down make sure that it is bound to 'button0' in game.

if (controller.GetButtonState(ButtonEnum.ToggleFilterControl)) //FILT Toggle
			{
				controller.AddButtonKeyMapping(ButtonEnum.RightJoyFire, Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput.Key.BackSlash, true);
				joystick.setButton((bool)controller.GetButtonState(1), (uint)1, (char)(15));
			}
			else
			{
				controller.AddButtonKeyMapping(ButtonEnum.RightJoyFire, Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput.Key.NoConvert, true);
				joystick.setButton((bool)controller.GetButtonState(1), (uint)1, (char)(0));
			}

In the above code when the toggle is up (the top bit) the double binding sets the js button to 15 (inactive) and the kb binding to '\' (alpha)

The lower bit of code (FILT toggle down) binds js button0 (fire selected) and the kb binding is Noconvert (inactive)

Funky double binding allows the key to work as both a joystick trigger and a kb key depending on FILT toggle state.

-von P.

p.s. - your jump works, I did not realize how it was triggered before (oops).
p.p.s. - played for 2 or 3 hours tonight and had no problems! ;)

View PostNightlyReaper, on 27 September 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

I would like to second that, von Pilsner!

Great work HackNFly! I have not been able to find time to get in the sim to get everything installed, but I am confident in your code.

I hope to get in there%2

You should try it out, his new version is very stable and the profile seems to be working (I think we will have 2 profiles soon).

Edited by von Pilsner, 28 September 2012 - 01:03 AM.

#106 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:43 AM

That explains it, I had commented out the joystick button, not understanding why you were using both the keyboard emulation and the joystick emulation. Is there a keyboard command for the same thing? I.E. why not use a different key instead of Key.NoConvert

One thing I would change for clarity is to change the first variable in GetButtonState to ButtonEnum. Earlier on I didn't have ButtonEnum as a valid parameter type, I've since corrected that, in the most recent version. I'll probably also change the parameter from char to int on the last one, as the end user shouldn't have to cast everything. Glad you figured it out though.

if (controller.GetButtonState(ButtonEnum.ToggleFilterControl)) //FILT Toggle
{
controller.AddButtonKeyMapping(ButtonEnum.RightJoyFire, Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput.Key.BackSlash, true);
joystick.setButton(controller.GetButtonState(ButtonEnum.RightJoyFire), 1, (char)(15));//last char equates to buttonNumber
}
else
{
controller.AddButtonKeyMapping(ButtonEnum.RightJoyFire, Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput.Key.NoConvert, true);
joystick.setButton(controller.GetButtonState(ButtonEnum.RightJoyFire), 1, (char)(0));//last char equates to buttonNumber
}

Also, whats your general opinion on the left pedal in my code vs using the switch. I can also update your code to work with the switch without spamming the x or "space" keys.

I actually got to play the game last night for a while. I've been so busy with coding it, that I really haven't actually played. I have another question though. Why place the torso twist on the right stick? It seems that you're more likely to end up accidentally twisting it when you don't want to, and more importantly, it doesn't have a return to center on the right stick, so if you're not exactly in the center, your torso keeps wanting to twist slowly. I swapped the torso twist from the right to left stick on mine. Just want your input, since I'm not much of a gamer, and I felt sorry for my squad mates since I kept getting killed, having a stock trainer mech without any upgrades probably doesn't help either.

I also like using the left thumbstick for weapon choice, it just feels right, although I wasn't able to shoot because of my commenting out the button code.

How do you feel about changing some of the buttons with states to state button lights. It really doesn't add anything much to the game, but aesthetically it looks nice. And I could set one of the switches to reset the lights, like I did for MW4.

Just some feedback for you.

P.S. Almost forgot, thanks for the work you've put into the configuration file. Although getting the various dependencies for this up and running can be troublesome for some, having a configuration file where you don't have to go in game and map every button to every function makes it a lot more fun to just get in there and try it out.

Edited by HackNFly, 28 September 2012 - 07:45 AM.

#107 Judgment McGodly

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

I feel ashamed that I've missed this happening. I'll be installing and configuring tonight/this weekend.

#108 von Pilsner

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostHackNFly, on 28 September 2012 - 07:43 AM, said:

That explains it, I had commented out the joystick button, not understanding why you were using both the keyboard emulation and the joystick emulation. Is there a keyboard command for the same thing? I.E. why not use a different key instead of Key.NoConvert

In the game options no key is assigned (by default) to fire selected (it uses mouse 1 or button0) so I did it for simplicity (well so player won't have to re-bind it in-game).

One thing I would change for clarity is to change the first variable in GetButtonState to ButtonEnum. Earlier on I didn't have ButtonEnum as a valid parameter type, I've since corrected that, in the most recent version. I'll probably also change the parameter from char to int on the last one, as the end user shouldn't have to cast everything. Glad you figured it out though.

I did not enumerate everything - I will :P

Also, whats your general opinion on the left pedal in my code vs using the switch. I can also update your code to work with the switch without spamming the x or "space" keys.

I like both, of course I am used to how I did it -_- I will have to play more with both profiles to say for sure <_<

I actually got to play the game last night for a while. I've been so busy with coding it, that I really haven't actually played. I have another question though. Why place the torso twist on the right stick?

Habit, that is how I had it for years in MW4. Also the left stick is 'twitchier' and in a light i use the left to constanatly zig and zag (left stick is faster to me for that) and in an assault I often set a path and go forward/backward along a straight line (hill humping) and just use the pedals to reverse throttle frequently (hill humping). The stick setup seems to lend itself to this... :)

How do you feel about changing some of the buttons with states to state button lights. It really doesn't add anything much to the game, but aesthetically it looks nice. And I could set one of the switches to reset the lights, like I did for MW4.

That sounds great!

P.S. Almost forgot, thanks for the work you've put into the configuration file. Although getting the various dependencies for this up and running can be troublesome for some, having a configuration file where you don't have to go in game and map every button to every function makes it a lot more fun to just get in there and try it out.

It is my pleasure, I am so happy you got the driver/glue working in 64 bit windows!!! I have to work all weekend so I won't be doing much until monday morning (don't think I've lost interest, I work 3x 12 hour shifts so I have no time all weekend...)

Edited by von Pilsner, 28 September 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#109 Ximmons

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

I really appreciate both of your attempts to get this working for me. I went ahead and re installed everything making sure to have the new version, I am in test mode, and each of the buttons is responding in the steelbattalion64 text box. Every control is responding up until I get in a match. Then everything stops responding. I have left the controls as default and deleted the file that Von Pilsner recommended clearing out any old control schemes.

#110 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

View PostXimmons, on 28 September 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

I really appreciate both of your attempts to get this working for me. I went ahead and re installed everything making sure to have the new version, I am in test mode, and each of the buttons is responding in the steelbattalion64 text box. Every control is responding up until I get in a match. Then everything stops responding. I have left the controls as default and deleted the file that Von Pilsner recommended clearing out any old control schemes.

So it works normally inside the set up usb game controllers calibration stage as well?

#111 Ximmons

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:35 AM

View PostHackNFly, on 28 September 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

So it works normally inside the set up usb game controllers calibration stage as well?

The joysticks are responding in the usb game controllers calibration but the buttons are not with the BvP profile running. Only the secondary fire trigger responds. I am probably wrong but that makes sense to me being it is the only key not mapped for a keyboard button.

#112 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

That is correct. so in game the axes work, but the buttons do not?

Also, you could try running the SImple.cs that came packaged with the .zip file.

The only change you have to make is change
namespace Steel_Batallion_64_v2 {

to this:

namespace SBC{

I have a simple loop in there that presses key buttons down instead of keystrokes. If the key emulation is whats not working at the moment, its worth a shot.

But just to verify, you also said that when you press something like the nightscope inside the textbox you actually get the letter n correct? What about in game, on the login screen where you have to type in your name and password. if you press the nightscope button in there do you get the letter n?

Do you have any other software running in the background related to keyboard emulation xpadder, or something? I feel like I'm running around in circles. This one has me stumped at the moment.

#113 Ximmons

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostHackNFly, on 29 September 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

That is correct. so in game the axes work, but the buttons do not?

Also, you could try running the SImple.cs that came packaged with the .zip file.

Yes all of the buttons respond fine in any program up until I launch mechwarrior. Even while it is up and running the controller will input the button presses in another window but the button presses are not registered in mechwarrior. I did attempt to type in the password field as you suggested and none of the buttons would enter their assigned letter. When i go to run the simple.cs config file It gives me an error.

c:\Users\xxxxxxxxx\Desktop\Steel-Batallion-64\Simple.cs(6,7) : error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'myVJoyWrapper' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

At the least, this could be good problem solving for the future release of your program. :(

#114 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Maybe you're not using the newest version.

I just re-downloaded my newest version
http://steel-batalli...-64_v2_beta.zip

here is what simple.cs is suppose to look like, after the one line mod:

//If you want a quick overview of how the configuration system works, take a look at SolExodus.cs
//This example was meant to recreate the functionality I displayed for the system in the original release
//however that also means that it is actually pretty complicated.

using System;
using Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput;
namespace SBC {
public class DynamicClass
{
SteelBattalionController controller;
vJoy joystick;
bool acquired;

const int refreshRate = 50;//number of milliseconds between call to mainLoop

//this gets called once by main program
    public void Initialize()
    {
        int baseLineIntensity = 1;//just an average value for LED intensity
        int emergencyLightIntensity = 15;//for stuff like eject,cockpit Hatch,Ignition, and Start

controller = new SteelBattalionController();
controller.Init(50);//50 is refresh rate in milliseconds
//set all buttons by default to light up only when you press them down

for(int i=4;i<4+30;i++)
{
if (i != (int)ButtonEnum.Eject)//excluding eject since we are going to flash that one
controller.AddButtonLightMapping((ButtonEnum)(i-1),(ControllerLEDEnum)(i),true,baseLineIntensity);
}

controller.AddButtonKeyLightMapping(ButtonEnum.CockpitHatch,            true, 3,    Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput.Key.A, true);//last true means if you hold down the button, 
joystick = new vJoy();
acquired = joystick.acquireVJD(1);
joystick.resetAll();//have to reset before we use it
}

//this is necessary, as main program calls this to know how often to call mainLoop
public int getRefreshRate()
{
return refreshRate;
}

private uint getDegrees(double x,double y)
{
uint temp = (uint)(System.Math.Atan(y/x)* (180/Math.PI));
if(x < 0)
temp +=180;
if(x > 0 && y < 0)
temp += 360;

temp += 90;//origin is vertical on POV not horizontal

if(temp > 360)//by adding 90 we may have gone over 360
temp -=360;

temp*=100;

if (temp > 35999)
temp = 35999;
if (temp < 0)
temp = 0;
return temp;
}

//this gets called once every refreshRate milliseconds by main program
public void mainLoop()
{
joystick.setAxis(1,controller.AimingX,HID_USAGES.HID_USAGE_X);
joystick.setAxis(1,controller.AimingY,HID_USAGES.HID_USAGE_Y);
joystick.setAxis(1,(controller.RightPedal - controller.MiddlePedal),HID_USAGES.HID_USAGE_Z);//throttle
joystick.setAxis(1,controller.RotationLever,HID_USAGES.HID_USAGE_RZ);
joystick.setAxis(1,controller.SightChangeX,HID_USAGES.HID_USAGE_SL0); 
joystick.setAxis(1,controller.SightChangeY,HID_USAGES.HID_USAGE_RX); 
joystick.setAxis(1,controller.LeftPedal,HID_USAGES.HID_USAGE_RY); 
joystick.setAxis(1,controller.GearLever,HID_USAGES.HID_USAGE_SL1);

joystick.setContPov(1,getDegrees(controller.SightChangeX,controller.SightChangeY),1);

for(int i=1;i<=32;i++)
{
joystick.setButton((bool)controller.GetButtonState(i-1),(uint)1,(char)(i-1));
}

joystick.sendUpdate(1);

}

//this gets called at the end of the program and must be present, as it cleans up resources
public void shutDown()
{
controller.UnInit();
joystick.Release(1);
}

}
}

Thank you for sticking through this, I feel your frustration. But your error makes me feel you might be using the older pre-release since the new one doesn't make use of the myVJoyWrapper namespace. I"m sure we'll get you straightened out soon enough.

#115 Ximmons

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

Could have sworn I updated everything last night. I was using an older version and the simple config is now working.I am left with the same problem still. The controller is still responding the same as it did before. But we are making some headway! I am thankful that you are helping me out with this issue. I wont be giving up on it until I am striding the battlefield. I have never used any key mapping software before so I am fairly positive that there is no other program interfering with it.

#116 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

So running the simple.cs, in set up usb game controllers you should have control of both axes and buttons? I think you've made that clear.

In game, I think you've mentioned you have control over axes, but not buttons?

Also, could you try going into the game, going to the config options and try remapping one of the controls for joystick, such as the fire button. Just want to cover all bases. If we're still having issues, if you PM me, I'll be happy to see if we can talk through this by phone or something along those lines.

#117 Ximmons

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

Yes in game I have control over the axis, the pov is working as well, but still no response form the buttons while in mechwarrior. I will go ahead and pm you.

#118 von Pilsner

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:00 AM

I suspect it may be LibUSB driver, maybe re-install it and the SB driver as I mentioned in my previous post.

Other thing is we both installed and uninstalled PPJoy (though I doubt that has anything to do with it)

Unplug other Joysticks

Verify (in 'game controllers') that 'vJoy Device' is 1st on the list (preferrably when testing it should be only thing on the list) and under 'advanced' tab it lists 'vJoy Device'.

Verify test mode is active

I have UAC disabled, I bet HackNFly does too...

good luck!

Edited by von Pilsner, 30 September 2012 - 03:02 AM.

#119 JEST3R

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

First off I want to say a big thank you to HackNFly and von Pilsner for all thier hard work in getting the good ol' SB controller up and running on Win7 for use on MWO.

I am usually pretty good with computers as far as following instructions and whatnot, but as they say I probably know enough to be dangerous so I try to be extra careful. I have been following this thread and over all Steel Battalion VT controller pages on the web, but unfortunately I keep running into problems and after a few days on my own installing, deleting and re-installing my attempts to get my SB controller up and running I have come to the conclusion this ol' boy here needs help.

I am a disabled vet first off and for me that means no using the foot pedals, but I figure theres enough buttons on the SB controller that I can overcome that with some configuration settings.

My latest attempt followed the steps outlined on Page 5 of this thread. Let me say first off Test mode is ON, infact in my desktops lower right hand corner it says exactly that TEST MODE, Windows 7, Build 7601. I also have UAC set to not notify me. I used the links on this thread to get my files for LibUSBDotnet ver 2.2.8, I am using "Steel-Battalion-64_v2_Beta", vJoy_x86x64_I230712.exe along with vJoyConfigx64.zip files. I configured my vJoy pretty much exactly like the image on page 5 of this thread and I tried other configurations. Further I grabbed a copy of the user.cfg for my Mechwarrior online folder and as far as the .cs files go I have tried simple.cs, BvP-MWO.cs and BvP-MWO-0.8.cs. When I select my .cs file after running and leaving open the runSteelBattalion64 program the game controller lights do flash 5 times.

I also would then of course using my start menu type in controller to quickly get to the USB game controller setup running so I can calibrate my SB controller, and yes it says "vJoy Device" listed for the controller and across from it says the status "OK".

Under my device manager the "LibUSB-Win32 Devices" shows my Steel Battalion Controller when I plug in its USB cable (I use the Xbox to USB adaptor rather than the permanent change to a USB contector I have seen in some places on the web). An interesting note is that today I also noticed another "Other Devices" show up on my device manager which when expanded says "vJoy_raw_device_00" though it claims the device is working properly.

So the results I get is that the Right and left sticks work, occasionally the throttle controller gets recognized, the center dial does not work, and at best one button works. Sometimes that button (the trigger) says its button one (when 8 buttons are displayed) or at others it said it was button 16 (when using the vJoy conf selecting 32 buttons). The POV hat if its working usually only recognizes the "up" position. Further when I try to use the start menu to start setup of my USB game controller the bottom text indow of the start menu gets spammed with SSSSS or SXSXSXSXS, etc. It stops when I close the runSteelBattalion64 window, which obviously I restart again before I try calibrating yet again. I have also on a few occasions tried to see what would work once I get MWO running trying to remap the joystick buttons does no good as none of the buttons are recognized when pressed (yes the SB controller buttons light up when pressed).

Essentially my SB controller works just enough to give you the slight taste of victory then the depressingly loud Gong of defeat is sounded after hours of effort in trying again and again to get it working. So HELP PLEASE, hackNFly, Von Pilsner, my fellow MWO community ur my only hope!~

Help this old Battletech fan get his SB controller working for MWO without requiring the pedals (which I do not bother to connect as well they are useless for me) Thanks for all ur previous work and I hope your future support!

JEST3R

#120 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

First thank you for being so specific, the more specific you are the easier it is to diagnose.

Unfortunately, I think you might be having the same problems that Ximmons is having. I'm going to try and Skype with him to figure it out. Each of the symptoms you describe depends on the config file you use.

First, the center tuning dial was not allocated to anything within any of the configs, hence why it isn't working. That can be easily changed once we get it up and running for you. I'll also be happy to customize a config file to your needs, once we get it running. The issue with the variable button 1/16 is part of Von Pilsner's code, so that's to be expected.

To keep things simple at first, can you use vJoy conf to make sure you have 32 buttons accessible, and 1 POVs. Run simple.cs I want to keep things simple to begin with.

Here is a link to the newest working Simple.cs
http://code.google.c...on-64/Simple.cs

As far as I can tell you're using the right version of everything else. Unfortunately I don't have an answer right now as to what is going on with the joystick buttons. A simple way to test this is to run Simple.cs and then inside the game try and remap one of the joystick control buttons, and see if it recognizes that. If it does great! Otherwise we'll have to wait until I can figure out why buttons work for some people and not for others, and why its just buttons as oppose to not working at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users