Steel Battalion controller and win 7 64-Bit drivers

417 replies to this topic

#121 Glythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

It's a shame really that the joystick design for MWO isn't a double stick controller.

Maybe they will make this game support Hawken's controller?

#122 von Pilsner

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

also, in the windows 'game controllers' screen only one button (the trigger) will show up as a button, the others will show as keypresses.

In the game options screen see if you can map the 'washing' button to 'torso twist' in game. if it allows you to bind it it will show up as the letter 'c'. If you can get the key to bind then it should work in-game.

#123 von Pilsner

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

My friend built a new computer and we set everything up - the buttons did not work in-game and it did not show up as a vJoy device in 'Game Controllers'.

I installed the vJoy client (directly) and the controller showed up in 'Game Controllers'

I chose to run HackNFlys code using 'run as administrator' and voila, the buttons were read in-game.

You might give that a shot... :P

Edited by von Pilsner, 01 October 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#124 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

Thank you for the extra bit of testing. Its not often you have a completely fresh build to test software on, so I appreciate the extra step. I've been concerned recently that it might be a Visual Studio thing. I know you mentioned you have it installed and sometimes you can accidentally code to make use of some libraries that require Visual Studio, i.e. debugging libraries. I've had some other people report success with version 2.0 as well. We'll try it out when I get to Skype with Ximmons. I guess the main difference for him, is that he has axes working in game and buttons in Game Controllers. I guess when I get to see his computer screen I'll be able to know more for sure.

I certainly appreciate the suggestion, and we'll be sure to try that.

Thanks!

#125 Panzagl

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

Just to add another data point, I have the same issue as Ximmons- buttons mapped to keyboard work as expected in the O/S, but not in MWO itself. I can use the main joystick and the one button that wasn't mapped to a key. I activated all the axes in the vJoy config. I tried running SB_64 as administrator through the right-click menu, but it never came up. Double-clicking to run appears to work fine, outside of MWO. I'm in test mode.

A couple of questions that came up during the install process-
With the LibUsb install I unchecked a box that said something like 'Install Win32 filters'. I had installed it before but thought it might be interfering.
Configuring the non-joystick axes in joy.cpl is confusing, and once done there seems to be a lot of noise on the z-axis, and the hat is registering NE when neutral.

I had originally been following the ppjoy version, with basically the same results except nothing showed up in MWO (keyboard or joystick).

Thanks for all the work y'all have done on this- I had been keeping a WinXP machine around just in case...

#126 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

For debugging support, can you try using the Simple.cs file. That way we know the basic axes / button support is working and we can go from there.

Also, what do you mean by joy.cpl I can't seem to remember a file being called that, could you be more specific.

Thanks

#127 Panzagl

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

By 'joy.cpl' I mean the game controller configuration app in the Windows control panel. I have to launch it manually for some reason and the file is "c:\windows\system32\joy.cpl"

The more I think about it the more I think it is some sort of permissions mismatch- if the key mapping is handled directly by SB-64, instead of being routed through a device driver like vJoy, then I can see MWO ignoring it if it is run in user space. I couldn't get SB-64 to run as admin, but I still have UAC enabled and there are some other tricks I can try.

I'll try simple.cs too. If nothing else I feel pretty confident that I can use the controls and buttons through the MWO control mapping, but it would be nice to get the bells and whistles working too.

#128 von Pilsner

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

View PostHackNFly, on 01 October 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

Thank you for the extra bit of testing. Its not often you have a completely fresh build to test software on, so I appreciate the extra step. I've been concerned recently that it might be a Visual Studio thing. I know you mentioned you have it installed and sometimes you can accidentally code to make use of some libraries that require Visual Studio, i.e. debugging libraries.

No problem, I was thinking along similar lines.

One more thing - even after we disabled UAC we had to 'run as admin' by right clicking on the runSB64 shortcut for it to work in-game on his computer (not mine, but I don't remember doing too much to my user rights).

#129 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

View Postvon Pilsner, on 02 October 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

No problem, I was thinking along similar lines.

One more thing - even after we disabled UAC we had to 'run as admin' by right clicking on the runSB64 shortcut for it to work in-game on his computer (not mine, but I don't remember doing too much to my user rights).

Thanks von Pilsner, I just skyped with Ximmons, and all we had to do is turn off UAC for it to work. One computer reboot, and it was working. One thing I might suggest. We might want to map throttle to slider0 by default so that people don't have to remap any controls inside the game for it to work. Right now they have to manually map the throttle axis.

Here's a quick guide on how to turn off UAC in windows 7.

http://www.mydigital...c-in-windows-7/

#130 von Pilsner

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

View PostHackNFly, on 02 October 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

Thanks von Pilsner, I just skyped with Ximmons, and all we had to do is turn off UAC for it to work. One computer reboot, and it was working. One thing I might suggest. We might want to map throttle to slider0 by default so that people don't have to remap any controls inside the game for it to work. Right now they have to manually map the throttle axis.

Good news and Great idea!
I've been putting tips, notes, and fixes in this file... I will add the UAC option: notes.txt.

EDIT: Done - new profile is here: BvP-MWO.cs. You will need to recalibrate your controller and rebind the default binding for the throttle (should use default now).

Edited by von Pilsner, 02 October 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#131 Panzagl

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Turning off UAC and running as admin worked for me too. Very slick now that it's working.

Thanks again for all the work done!

#132 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hooray!, I think there is only one other person on this thread who has tried it and hasn't yet got it to work, I'll pm him to tell him about UAC and see if they have it working. I"ll also message the maker of vJoy and see if he has run across that before. I'm pretty confident now in moving the download into full version 2.0

#133 von Pilsner

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:54 AM

I went to a friend's house and was playing MWO on his new computer (and VT controller) and he plays more lights than I do and he suggested I swap the reverse and full stop pedal so he could hit stop mid-jump so when he lands on a building (for example) he does not walk off the edge because his throttle is not at 'full stop' (you lose the 'reverse' pedal in jump mode in his version and not the 'full stop' pedal).

Here is the Pedal Swapped version of my current config: BvP-MWO-AltPedal-1.1.cs
And version 1.1 of my 'standard' version: BvP-MWO-1.1.cs
Big change for version 1.1 is that the F3/Free Look key is no longer latched.

Edited by von Pilsner, 03 October 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#134 KelethDragon

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:32 AM

I checked the thread again last night and uninstalled PPJoy and the other libraries I had installed, and re-downloaded the Steel Battallion driver beta, the LIBUSB and the VJoy application.

However, I see two controllers in my Control panel, like so
Posted Image

And when I run the steel Battallion64 app with any .CS file I get this message.

Posted Image

I seem to be really good at just breaking these installations. I believe I followed Von Pilsner's instructions about 2 pages back really well. I'm just not sure what's going on.

I don't have a programming oriented brain, I just click things and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

#135 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

View PostHackNFly, on 29 September 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

That is correct. so in game the axes work, but the buttons do not?

Also, you could try running the SImple.cs that came packaged with the .zip file.

The only change you have to make is change
namespace Steel_Batallion_64_v2 {

to this:

namespace SBC{

I have a simple loop in there that presses key buttons down instead of keystrokes. If the key emulation is whats not working at the moment, its worth a shot.

But just to verify, you also said that when you press something like the nightscope inside the textbox you actually get the letter n correct? What about in game, on the login screen where you have to type in your name and password. if you press the nightscope button in there do you get the letter n?

Do you have any other software running in the background related to keyboard emulation xpadder, or something? I feel like I'm running around in circles. This one has me stumped at the moment.

I'll get to making a more clear set of installation instructions after I fully release version 2.0, just a few more things to check. Simple.cs is good for checking that the program works. You'll have to use the BvP-MWO.cs one for von Pilsnor's configuration

#136 JEST3R

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

View Postvon Pilsner, on 27 September 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

That may be a better question for HackNFly, but I would make sure you are in 'Test Mode' (I'm pretty sure it is still required, but too lazy to switch my computer to test today), uninstall PPJoy,
Download and unzip the newest version of the driver: Steel-Batallion-64_v2_beta.zip.
Re-install the SB LibUSB Driver. Verify that it finds the controller (in device manager).
Posted Image

Add the user.cfg changes or the Y-Axis and throttle may be wrong.

Then I would delete my '\MechWarrior Online\USER\Profiles\von Pilsner\actionmaps.xml' file, restart the game and re-bind 'throttle' to the throttle stick on the controller and save the options.

NOTE: if the POV / weapon group control seems twitchy remap the 4 'Weapon Group Hilight' commands to 'button0' (trigger/sub weapon) one at a time. Then remap 'button0' back to 'Fire Selected Weapon Group' and save your options.

Download site: Steel-Batallion-64_v2_beta.zip (local copy)
LibUSBDotNet_Setup.2.2.8 (local copy)
Download MWO profile: BvP-MWO.cs
Example user.cfg
Button diagram here.
Explanation of the toggle switches: toggle.txt.

If you need to you can check that VJoy controller is configured correctly with vJoyConf.
Posted Image
If you get the twitchy POV you can actually select '0 POVs' and the thumbstick will still work in-game.

Hope that helps, I bet HackNFly will have more suggestions if you can't get it working.

I just wanted to reply again to say thanks for the suggestions, HackNFly your post and pm were helpful especially regarding the buttons and toggles. As I said in my private message reply using the Simple.cs file you linked gave a lot of errors when I tried to run it and it also did not make the SB controller buttons flash the usual 5 times. I messaged you the errors which were too numerous for a reply here on the thread.

So I now know to use the toggle to make the trigger change from button 1 to 16 as well, and I will be trying to configure the stick using the buttons as "keyboard keys".

I quoted the vonPilsner post to let you know the set up I am trying today since the Simple.cs failed to work.

Also another question, I am not using the pedals as mentioned above and when configuring the SB controller I know the x and y axis obviously is the right stick, the z rotation maps to the left stick.
I try to map the throttle to the slider but it always ends up recognized as the dial, the actual dial does not apparently do anything or get mapped. The Pov works when I select continuos.

So what are the z axis and X rotation supposed to be mapped to? the pedals is my best guess?

I'll keep at it, all help is of course welcomed I'll check back here again later.
(and yes its still annoying that the controller spams sw sw sw sw sw... when its active lol.

#137 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

Here is a link to the Simple.cs file that should work:
http://code.google.c...on-64/Simple.cs

#138 von Pilsner

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostJEST3R, on 03 October 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

So what are the z axis and X rotation supposed to be mapped to? the pedals is my best guess?

AS Of my profile version 1.0 the axes are mapped differently to better accomodate the default game controls.

For calibration and reference purposes here is the new axis mapping:

X/Y-Axis: Right stick
Z-Axis: Middle and Right Pedal.
X-Rotation: Site Change Vertical
Y-Rotation: Left Pedal
Z-Rotation: Left Stick
Slider: Throttle
Dial: Site Change Horizontal

Here is the Pedal Swapped version of my current config: BvP-MWO-AltPedal-1.1.cs
And version 1.1 of my 'standard' version: BvP-MWO-1.1.cs

And as of 1.2 I modified the axis mapping a bit more....
X/Y-Axis: Right stick
Z-Axis: Left and Right Pedal.
X-Rotation: Site Change Vertical
Y-Rotation: Middle Pedal
Z-Rotation: Left Stick
Slider: Throttle
Dial: Site Change Horizontal

Try these profiles, they should not crash...
Here is my current config: BvP-MWO-1.2.cs
And a version of HnF's Simple profile with the axis swapped like in my profile (this way you don't need to recalibrate if switching between the 2 profiles): Simple-Axis.cs.

Edited by von Pilsner, 04 October 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#139 JEST3R

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the replies, especially HackNFly who has also assisted me via e-mail. Thanks von Pilsner for your configs though I need to figure something our x/y rotation since I do not use pedals.

Everythings working now, which is great. Now the biggest problem seems to be sensitivity I just cant target anything well since the right sticks Xaxis movement jumps not very smoothly left and right, while Y axis movement seems slow. that plus more easily managing weapons groups is an issue for me atm. At the very least I am playing -- though somewhat poorly.

Thanks again!

#140 KelethDragon

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

I still can't seem to get the program to not crash out, so I eagerly await the final version.

I have the joystick all setup and set aside next to my computer raring to go.

I suppose worst comes to worst, could always buy that hawken controller, since it's somewhat similar.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users