#21 Tag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 204 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostVincent Vascaul, on 13 June 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

Found one, it should be in my hands in about a week or so.

Awesome! Dont forget to pick up an xbox to pc adaptor.

#22 KelethDragon

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

You won't believe how much I was frothing when I could NOT get this thing to work!!! So close and yet so far! Argle!

Worst part is I followed the walkthrough on his video. (Did I mention I hate video walk throughs? Especially with mumbling and hard to hear instructions)

I would of rather had written instructions I can follow, but long story short. It doesn't seem to work. I don't know what voodoo magic the youngin in this posted, but I followed everything exactly as he (Vaguely) outlines and it doesn't work.

There's a lot of information that's being left out like, "PPJOY Serial Stream to Virtual Joystick 1" That's running after the installation, but doesn't pop up when you click the executable? Is that supposed to be running? It doesn't seem to make a difference on or off.

Has -anyone- here gotten this thing to work?

Edited by Drathorin, 02 July 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#23 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

I"m sorry you weren't able to get this to work. I have some written instructions here:
http://code.google.c...ki/Installation

When you say "PPJoy Serial Stream to Virtual Joystick 1" what are you referring to? PPJoy does have a serial to joystick capabilities but those are not used in this application.

The primary problem people have had with this system involves PPJoy, you can try the following test.

Pull up the Game Controllers panel and select "PPJoy Virtual Joystick 1" and select Properties, click on the Test tab.

Then go to Start->Programs->PPJoy Joystick Driver->Virtual Joysticks->Keyboard Joystick
(If your antivirus complains about PPJoyMouse.exe, feel free to delete it. Some of the PPJoy examples make use of some antiquated code that some antivirus sees as malicious. )

After opening Keyboard Joystick, select Button 1 and press the Letter "D", then go back and click on the window from the Game Controllers panel, and press the letter "D", if the Button 1 lights up, then PPJoy is working properly, if not then some part of the PPJoy installation failed.

#24 KelethDragon

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

The "PPJoy Serial Stream to Virtual Joystick 1" was referring to "Radio Control TX" That was running after I finished the installation.

I read through the instructions on that link you gave me there, I must've missed the Wiki last night in my sleep deprived state.

I just finished this part you have here

After opening Keyboard Joystick, select Button 1 and press the Letter "D", then go back and click on the window from the Game Controllers panel, and press the letter "D", if the Button 1 lights up, then PPJoy is working properly, if not then some part of the PPJoy installation failed.

And button one lights up.

This makes me curious, is it possible to assign keys to all of the buttons and axis in this interface? So I could Make a INI for each game? (Living Legends, Mechwarrior Online, world of warplanes etc) Or is that what your MW4.EXE does?

I configured the joystick through the game controllers, but trying to play Mechwarrior 4 seems to result in crazy um.. well, buttons not working and random driving/spinning/shooting, but I think that could be my copy of Mechwarrior 4.

If this is the case, do I just leave this Keyboard Joystick section of PPJoy going while I play these games? With each *.ini loaded for whatever game I want to play? (Though This does leave me without the beautiful blinking buttons...)

I do apologize for the harsh tone I used in my prior post, it wasn't pleasant, and I apologize for that.

Edit: I reset the controls in MW4 to default, and everything works just fine, with the exception of the footpedals always wanting to walk forwards a bit. Calibrating while the Steel Battalion-MW4.exe is running doesn't get rid of that. But that is -perfectly- Fine.

If you have instructions on how I can make alternate INI files for different games that'd be great! I'm reading the MW4.INI right now, but I'm a little to uncertain what does what, and I don't want to fry anything.

Edited by Drathorin, 03 July 2012 - 04:41 PM.

#25 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

View PostDrathorin, on 03 July 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

And button one lights up.

Well, thats good and bad. It means PPJoy is installed properly, which means the solution isn't as simple. The keyboard example was just a test to see if your PPJoy installation works. Its not involved in anyway with the program I created.

View PostDrathorin, on 03 July 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

[color=#959595]Edit: I reset the controls in MW4 to default, and everything works just fine, with the exception of the footpedals always wanting to walk forwards a bit. Calibrating while the Steel Battalion-MW4.exe is running doesn't get rid of that. But that is -perfectly- Fine.[/color]

Does this mean the controller is currently working for you? (Lights and everything?)

Also, to answer your question about the ini files. Yes, the end goal is to be able to have a different ini file per game, with an easy to use interface. Unfortunately, designing a good interface takes time, and I've been busy with work/life since I made the first release. The current release allows you to have different ini files, but it is clunky to say the least. It will allow you to change how a button lights up when pressed, as well as assigning key-bindings to each button.

Ultimately I can make it so that all axes can be used, but most games don't support more than 4 axes, and Windows only supports 8. So I can't represent it as a standard joystick.

I"ll add something to the Wiki explaining how the current INI system works.

#26 KelethDragon

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Understood.

I reset my controls in Mechwarrior 4 as I had said earlier, and I was able to go through the tutorial a bit, albeit clunkily.

I'm interested in helping in this if I can, I'd like to hook this up and use it to play Mechwarrior Living Legends.

At the moment I have a duplicate MW4.ini created, with the original backed up of course, and am looking at changing the keybindings.

The trouble I'm having the most with is actually calibrating the joystick and axes in the gamecontrol panel, most of the axis don't seem to move aside from the right joystick (Y and X), and the two pedals which control Z, the point of view doesn't register either.

I'm not sure if I have it setup quite right in PPJoy, or if I had accidentally deleted/changed some settings.

As I had said in the beginning of this post, If I can help out with this development at all, I'm more than willing. I don't have any programming knowledge, but I can change settings in *.ini files and change settings if I know what the functions are.

#27 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

View PostHartsblade, on 07 May 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

Well looks like someone has finally written some drivers for the Steel Battalion controller for Windows 7 64-bit. Looks like he has it running for MW4, but on the MWLL forums he says it can be set up for any game it's just a matter of editing a few .ini files.

Install instructions:

"Proof of life"

Might be interesting to see if anyone takes the time to get this working with MW:O when it comes out. Or even better maybe the devs could take a look at supportign it :P

What did he do, tape the camer to his head o.O

Edited by Skadi, 03 July 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#28 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

More or less, I wanted to do it in one take so in case no one else was able to replicate my results, they couldn't claim I had doctored it.

#29 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

In case anyone else is having issues, CALIBRATION is necessary, I've written explicit calibration instructions here:
http://code.google.c...iki/Calibration

#30 Greymaine

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

I have Steel Battalion, and I will be attempting this as soon as I get an adapter ;)

#31 Ashnod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:18 AM

Have a steel batallion controller with pedals on the way.. Can't wait to get it setup and start to tool around with it.. I have big plans haha ;)

#32 nimrodusmaximus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

Eh, is this for MW4 only? Or does it work in MWO?

Ive got SB somewhere in my garage...:P

#33 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Currently only works for MW4, I don't have access to MWO yet. I"m probably going to wait til it goes open beta. At which point I'll work on creating a new version specifically for MWO.

#34 Ashnod

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:18 AM

Looking for help setting this up to work with MWO if anyone is willing to it would be greatly appreciated :D

#35 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

Posted Image
If you can give me a rundown of what keys/lights and axis you want bound to each control and a very descriptive outline of how you want the control setup to work, I can create a new executable for you. Whenever I can play the game for free I'll be inspired to write up a more flexible program, but a new executable will have to do for now.

Do you currently have the program working for MW4, in case I want you to do some testing?

#36 Ashnod

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

I followed the video to the dot and got it started / light blinking 5 times etc but I actually don't have MW4 installed as of now, I could install the mektek one and try it out to be sure

#37 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

If when you pull up the game controllers panel and you can get the axis to move and you've gone through the calibration procedure mentioned on the wiki, thats good enough. Just think of how you would want the controller mapped out and post it here and I'll apply the necessary code. I hope MWO recognizes the virtual key codes I'm using. I've found some games have issues with it.

#38 RedPandaPrince

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 19 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationToronto Canada

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:26 AM

Would it be possible for you to create an executable for me, I would like to use this with the old space sim, freelancer. Basically i would want the right joy to have the mouse value, using the trigger as mouse 1 and the right joy to be used as A and D for strafing. as for the rest of the keys it doesnt matter their placement. I would be really grateful if you could do this.

#39 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

I'm currently working on a version that will allow you to customize it yourself. I've made some headway on it, it'll be version 2 of this program.

#40 Tag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 204 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:12 AM

View PostGreedyTacoTheif, on 18 August 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

Would it be possible for you to create an executable for me, I would like to use this with the old space sim, freelancer. Basically i would want the right joy to have the mouse value, using the trigger as mouse 1 and the right joy to be used as A and D for strafing. as for the rest of the keys it doesnt matter their placement. I would be really grateful if you could do this.

God freelancer was an awesome game, shame well never get a sequel to it.

Also Hacknfly, glad to hear your still working on this.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users