Betty Feedback

299 replies to this topic

Poll: About Betty's voice speed and warnings. (351 member(s) have cast votes)

¿Do you think Betty's voice should be played a little faster to be more effective, to sound less dozed and get a faster game rhythm?

1. Yes. (237 votes [67.52%])

Percentage of vote: 67.52%

2. No. (114 votes [32.48%])

Percentage of vote: 32.48%

¿Do you think we should be allowed to configure what kind or warnings do we get from Betty?

1. Yes. (321 votes [91.45%])

Percentage of vote: 91.45%

2. No. (30 votes [8.55%])

Percentage of vote: 8.55%

¿Do you think Betty's voice should be tweaked to sound more electronic, a little like GLaDOS or Crysis Nano Suit?

1. Yes. (134 votes [41.88%])

Percentage of vote: 41.88%

2. No. (186 votes [58.13%])

Percentage of vote: 58.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Evgeny Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 704 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 27 November 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

Yes. This is Mechwarrior. The female voice is as classic and iconic as the mechs themselves and integral to the nostalgia and player experience. If the voice were too different, it would not be the same game that pgi is trying to recreate.

It would be an ugly abomination. Ever see Pet Cemetary? Thats would it would it be. The voice must be Betty.. not Bob.

I do not care for you pretty nostalgia to be honest.

Just want to feel badass if I kick butts around... and the voice is like the tram and train announcements in germany, just boring and monotone. But even when it will be 2.0 and having some personality, I like some male voice instead.

maybe the option to chose from male or female would be nice.

#82 BloodGhost

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

I tried it a couple of times, and never got a 25% message. Got a message though when I ran out of boost.

#83 Acid Phreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,719 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNiedersachsen

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

pls make it more like a voice

i cant understand what the voice call to me, the tone is like a deep bass organ ... please pitch it up or make a option to adjustment the voice a bit, also its little to quietly even on full volume.....

...so there is not a "hide" from my side if i hear "critical" iz more like a "wtf he said?" ...this picture one from the old lady "wat" explains my feelings now...

otherwise iz a very nice feature and i hope that "betty" get further improvement.

#84 ZliDiabetichar

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostAndar89, on 27 November 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

I do not care for you pretty nostalgia to be honest.

Just want to feel badass if I kick butts around... and the voice is like the tram and train announcements in germany, just boring and monotone. But even when it will be 2.0 and having some personality, I like some male voice instead.

maybe the option to chose from male or female would be nice.

No offense m8, but you are kinda missing the point of an announcer that has a name. If she/he has a name, that means people need to identify her (and she has one).
She is gonna B**** in your ear, and the point is not to make her annoying (too much).
The idea is to get additional info through your audio senses (and have "some" audio satisfaction while listening to her).
That means that she is not supposed to be dull, not supposed to be a total computer like (even thou she is) and not supposed to be out of the ambient while clearly defining that she is a computer.

The way to achieve the goal is that she needs to have a warm computer voice that (relatively bad ) emulates a (busty) girl/woman that is (loudly) whispering warnings in your ear.

If you like a male badasses instead of busty girls, thats your thing, and you have a right to ask for it. But don't and i say it again DON'T put the BB in the same class as German announcers on a train station.

We love her, we miss her, and we can't live without the SHUT UP button/option :(

P.S. The computerized voice also empowers the feeling that you are driving a powerful death machine.

Edited by ZliDiabetichar, 27 November 2012 - 06:22 PM.

#85 SolCrusher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 609 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

I haven't patched yet, but can we just turn Betty off? Last thing I want is someone nagging me in game!

What about a list of alerts that I want to hear, just make some check boxes that I can check so if I want to know I'm "shutting down" then I can check that box.

Half the stuff you do that Betty will inform you of any good warrior would know what they did to cause it. So I use ammo weapons almost exclusively so I know when I'm at 25% ammo, so would anyone else if they are paying any sort of attention.

#86 xDark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Agreed. Her voice is way too bassy and sounds too human. Turn down the lows and turn up the highs, and put some kind of distortion filter on it to make it sound more computery. Right now it has no high-end so it doesn't cut through the explosions, gunfire, and footstomps at all.

#87 Evgeny Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 704 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

View PostZliDiabetichar, on 27 November 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

No offense m8, but you are kinda missing the point of an announcer that has a name. If she/he has a name, that means people need to identify her (and she has one).
She is gonna B**** in your ear, and the point is not to make her annoying (too much).
The idea is to get additional info through your audio senses (and have "some" audio satisfaction while listening to her).
That means that she is not supposed to be dull, not supposed to be a total computer like (even thou she is) and not supposed to be out of the ambient while clearly defining that she is a computer.

The way to achieve the goal is that she needs to have a warm computer voice that (relatively bad ) emulates a (busty) girl/woman that is (loudly) whispering warnings in your ear.

If you like a male badasses instead of busty girls, thats your thing, and you have a right to ask for it. But don't and i say it again DON'T put the BB in the same class as German announcers on a train station.

We love her, we miss her, and we can't live without the SHUT UP button/option :(

P.S. The computerized voice also empowers the feeling that you are driving a powerful death machine.

I dont want to shut her up, nor do I wish to have silence in my cockpit.

but when I hear this in comparrison (especially "Thread detected" on high volume with HQ headphones)

it sounds much more important and gives me the chills.

#88 Azalie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 341 posts
  • LocationThe Warp

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Quite frankly this is just an example of the coconut effect. People are so used to hearing cockpit/war game voices with a mechanical or electronic tinge that even in a game which takes place 1,000 years in the future people still expect audio to be less than perfect.

http://tvtropes.org/...heCoconutEffect

#89 Lev Aeris

Rookie

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

I concur with the voice being too clean. I liked the filter quality from MW2 that activision achieved years ago.

I also think betty talks too much. I dont need to know every 3 seconds that a base is being captured. I much prefered having visual indicators for base status.

#90 ZliDiabetichar

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

View PostAndar89, on 27 November 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

I dont want to shut her up, nor do I wish to have silence in my cockpit.

but when I hear this in comparrison (especially "Thread detected" on high volume with HQ headphones)

it sounds much more important and gives me the chills.

i agree, it sounds powerful and important, but subjective feel is if you would like him to tell you that, or a girl, and i would like that they implement the option to change the voice. Sometimes even bb needs to be shutdown/shut upped .

#91 SuperPuppy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Location[Unable to Track]

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

OR.

Maybe this isn't the final audio mix yet.

I mean, the sound hasn't been fully implemented.

#92 Pr8Dator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

View PostEternalCore, on 27 November 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

Damn How I missed this feature and It makes the game soooo much more immersive!
Now all we need is the Startup procedure!

Who else is with me on this?

100% bro! I've been pushing for the startup sequence to replace the loading screen for ages (er... for as long as I have been here... 4 days hehehe)

#93 ATF Griff

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but i feel like the voice needs more echo or something.

#94 Barakus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

I actualy realy like betty. Good job.

#95 Bully_Hayes

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationWashington State. USA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Betty being the good company girl that she is doesn't want to comment on the mess that was made of the UAC5....No "weapon Jammed" message.

#96 Scarlett Avignon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 913 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

View PostLev Aeris, on 27 November 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

I concur with the voice being too clean. I liked the filter quality from MW2 that activision achieved years ago.

Lol, they didn't "achieve" that quality. That's the sound of low-fi recording and playback.

Posted Image

#97 Dersieger

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

View PostMatta, on 27 November 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

From the first moment I heard voiceover it sounded too sterile, too perfect, like you can clearly hear (or not hear) artificial purity in it. It "drowns" every other sound by being far more "noiseless" than anything else.

In my opinion (and I may be wrong) it would have much better sound if it's actually a bit metallic, or distant, or if it sounds like it's actually coming from some sound source inside cockpit and not just played in your headphone.

I hope you understand what I'm talking about.

This completely sums up my feelings about Betty. I could not have said it better.

#98 Dormax

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Personal opinion, she talks to darn much. OK -- I want another warning when I start loosing weapons. I suppose my Jenner needs to know when I'm out of jump fuel (though crashing to the ground is pretty much a give away), but I very, VERY rarely need to know when I've switched targets. LOL I mean... common... If I don't know when I did something intentionally, what the heck is she going to tell me that I don't already know. :)

Edited by Dormax, 27 November 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#99 TheMagician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 779 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

Sounds great to me. Just needs some bugs worked out. I'd like an option to toggle which things are said though. For example, I would like to turn off 'new target acquired', as well as the jump fuel (since fuel dumps too quickly to have that information be useful).

Edited by TheMagician, 27 November 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#100 Crabbley

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

They need to make a button to toggle Betty's voice on or off. Some people may like it but I find it very annoying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users