Betty Feedback

299 replies to this topic

Poll: About Betty's voice speed and warnings. (351 member(s) have cast votes)

¿Do you think Betty's voice should be played a little faster to be more effective, to sound less dozed and get a faster game rhythm?

1. Yes. (237 votes [67.52%])

Percentage of vote: 67.52%

2. No. (114 votes [32.48%])

Percentage of vote: 32.48%

¿Do you think we should be allowed to configure what kind or warnings do we get from Betty?

1. Yes. (321 votes [91.45%])

Percentage of vote: 91.45%

2. No. (30 votes [8.55%])

Percentage of vote: 8.55%

¿Do you think Betty's voice should be tweaked to sound more electronic, a little like GLaDOS or Crysis Nano Suit?

1. Yes. (134 votes [41.88%])

Percentage of vote: 41.88%

2. No. (186 votes [58.13%])

Percentage of vote: 58.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Archinerd

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

The voice is fine but I find it annoying after a few minutes of playing. Any possibility we could have a list of the types of messages we would like her to notify us of in an option menu somewhere? I don't need her to tell me every time I've selected a new target, I know that. I would like to know when I've lost a heat sink or my ammo is getting low though.

#122 Axen Marik

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 60 posts
  • LocationFlagship Outbound Light III, coordinates classified

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

Talks too slow, needs a bit more urgency when limbs are flying off of everything :)

Edited by Axen Marik, 27 November 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#123 Crashingmail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 311 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

On base capture i think the voice getting a bit to annoying, as she repeats it too fast and often. A little more time between the announcements would be great. Also i agreed that the voice needs to be a bit more "mechanical", for me its loud enough, okay my dialog volume is at 100% unlike the other sound effects :P

But i really missed the voice and glad to have it back now, cant wait for the startup sequence.

Edited by Crashingmail, 27 November 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#124 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

Remember all, this is the first pass. We're testing it, and the issues will be resolved (sound cutting out, sentences not finishing etc).

For me, this was probably the single most transcendental feature added to date. Stompy mechs...check. Pew pew lasers...check. Computer voice over... HELL YES CHECK.

I can't wait for the tweaks, prioritising alerts (getting arms blown off more important than target acquired etc). But seriously, the first time I started hearing the voice I was giddy. It's damn useful. Running away from a streak cat, hearing critical damage to the rear torso... awesome. Running low on AC ammo - hell I hadn't even noticed...awesome. Incoming missiles...awesome. Once it is tweaked and fixed up I think this is going to be a game changer.

If you don't like it, turn it off. Or provide specific, succinct feedback on improvements. Many have - saying reverb added etc which is great. But naysayers should just turn off the sound and continue in oblivious innocence while the rest of us enjoy the awesome.

#125 AvatarofWhat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 591 posts
  • LocationAntares

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

The current implementation is an excellent step in the right direction. I dig carole's voice and though currently it's not perfect(needs to sound a bit more artificial) I appreciate it a lot.

I just wanted to say good job guys! It really feels like PGI has been listening to us and I feel appreciated as a customer. Getting the voice actress for MW2 back is great and I'm sure between "synthesizing" her voice and recording some new lines we can have an excellent final version of *******' betty!

Thanks a lot, I was really looking forward to this! :P

#126 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

The voice itselve is ok for me, but i would like to have options for everything to turn on or off the Betty sound.
New Target Aquired - off
Damage Critical - on
Jump Fuel - off
Enemy Base beeing captured (repeating) - off
and so on...

#127 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

View PostAxen Marik, on 27 November 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

Talks too slow, needs a bit more urgency when limbs are flying off of everything :P

I'd already be freaking out, I don't need my computer to yell at me :huh:

#128 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

Most of the audio notifications are nice, and inform me of things that are happening to me. The new target notifications feel odd though, because the only way to receive a new target is to press the targeting key, so I already know I am acquiring a new target. Very different from the notifications of missiles incoming or ammo being low, which it could be conceivable to not notice.

#129 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

Carole Ruggier's voice needs some post processing to address how she sounds, but, I nerdgasmed at the inflections. The TRUE VOICE of MechWarrior is back in the cockpit!!

#130 Gristle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationN. E. Kentucky

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Will it be possible to configure which warnings we have BB for?

#131 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

View PostGristle, on 27 November 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

Will it be possible to configure which warnings we have BB for?

who knows, but, honestly, having gone 2 decades with out her voice in my head, I want all I can get!

#132 Rumrunner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

Betty is good for mechfeeling, but she talks a bit to much, some messages are unnecessary and senceless.

I would like to have a submenue to decide what message i want to hear and what not.

#133 Matta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCroatia, Europe

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

View PostZliDiabetichar, on 27 November 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

ok, my suggestion of it (remember am a noob at audio editing, so this is the best i could do in 30 min :P)

This is something on the track how voice would "feel" right. Thanks for the suggestion m8. :huh:

#134 Randommexi

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

sorry havent read though the seven pages or so of feedback.

was wondering if there is a way to ajust the volume of betty?

and, i heard this is a real persons voice. so, my next question is, is she hot? cause the voice is very sexy.

#135 Zphyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 703 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

Just googled Carrol Ruggier, I believe this is her: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0749442.

Also... Betty talks too slowly and in such a calm, organic and quiet voice. I used to be heard only because of my female voice on TS, this is gonna make it hard to get to boys to listen to my yelling.

#136 Jape

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

- A bit too quiet
- A bit too sterile
- Way too slow. If missiles are incoming, I need to know it fast.
- Some messages are a bit unnecessary

Otherwise its a nice addon.

#137 Durahl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

I like the comeback of her but I too wished for a little more postprocessing of the voice.

There are things that I feel totally unnecessary like a warning about Incoming SRM's or SSRM's.
Those things hit you before she even finished her speech so why bother with it? /shrug

Something else bothering me is the sound going awry once too many things happen at once.
It's like the computer suddenly goes: "Sound?! What are you doing? Sound? Staaahp! Ah fukit"

Speaking of custom Soundpacks...
Anyone getting a slight shiver running down their spine when thinking about HAL 9000's voice?

#138 Furmansky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

I like it, but as many said its to nice and clean.
And those who say its HI-FI 1000 years in futers and all that crap... I am piloting A Battlemech not a F*****G opera wagon or party bus or disco caravan with SONY ultra duper hi-fi speakers and 1000W amplifiers. You guys can call it as you want... coco nuts effects... brigth audio future... but a simple fact is that this future looks grey and brown with technology lost and being fought for and you are sitting in a well worn war maschine not in theatre.

Tweaks are needed but overall was very nice to hear that voice again...

Edited by Furmansky, 28 November 2012 - 01:18 AM.

#139 madpeople

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

Make her speak faster. Things can happen quickly in MWO, she needs to be able to keep up!

Also, there should be a page in the options for the volume with a slider for each type of voice warning sliders - I want to mute some of them but not the others. (I don't need to be told I just targeted something!)

She keeps talking about the bases being captured after victory / defeat. Someone should tell her the game is over. "Objective Achieved" / "Mission Failed".

Perhaps a little too sterile, though that might be ok if it was faster - would have to hear the faster version.

#140 Teh Zig

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 27 November 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

Some people are hard to please?

And I'm one of them. It's great that the system is in place, and I know PGI has said that not all of the dialouge is present, but I'm really hoping that some day soon my systems will be online and nominal.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users