Starting To Regret Getting My Ctf 2X - Any Suggestions On Getting 400+ Dmg/game?

55 replies to this topic

#1 Isidro

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

As the title says. The most damage I was able to get from this was around ~300/game and the kill rate really just #$%! I had more kills on my streak commando really.

Current build is:

Version 1:
Stock engine
RA = PPC
RT = LLas
LT = Llas
LA = 1x SSRM2 w/ 1ton ammo

Upgrade = Endo
HS where possible

Version 2:
Stock engine

RA = LLas
RT = LLas
LT = LLas
LA = 2x SSRM2 w/ 1ton ammo

Do you have any suggestions on how to build this? Or should I just learn how to play it. What strat should I use when playing this?

#2 GuanYu

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

A large part of getting more damage per game is dependent on how you actually play the game (and less dependent on how mech loadout, however optimal loadouts can increase ability to deal more damage in a game).

I find a large part of doing more damage per game is actually trying to stay alive for longer, and be reliant on tactics that value keeping your own mech alive, rather than trying to make sure the enemy is dead.

For instance, if you ran into the fray, killed one mech, then died. You would have done less damage staying with the group and firing the whole game.

I hope this helps.

#3 I WildCard I

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Im at work right now so I dont have the build in front of me that I use. I have had great success using my Cataphract with:

3x Large lasers

2xSRM 6's in the Left arm
(300 rounds of ammo)

XL engine (Not sure of size ATM)

Doing 500+ consistently

Hope that helps. Not matter what mech I use I am more comfortable brawling, so that is how this one is setup.

#4 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

As long as you have a mech that can reliably engage on your terms of combat preferences, it only depends on the team.

I'll use a trial mech as an example: While in an equal experience fight you can get a good to moderate amount of damage done, when your team is way below you in terms of performance, there is a high chance you'll do far more than everyone lese in the match. All with the same mech.

#5 Isidro

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

Thanks. I think the main issue I am having is that I got too used to playing a light mech (commando). I go in... put in a few slugs... then run like my butt's on fire when things heat up. Running-like-my-butt's-on-fire is not really an option playing this as the speed is not really there. So I guess this is a classic L2P

Concerning the loadout though: Has anyone (using the CTF-2x) got any builds they've had more success on? Or is the 3xLLas + 2xSSRM2 decent enough?

#6 Isidro

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

View PostI WildCard I, on 27 November 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

Im at work right now so I dont have the build in front of me that I use. I have had great success using my Cataphract with:

3x Large lasers

2xSRM 6's in the Left arm
(300 rounds of ammo)

XL engine (Not sure of size ATM)

Doing 500+ consistently

Hope that helps. Not matter what mech I use I am more comfortable brawling, so that is how this one is setup.

I will try out the 2x SRM 6, but they're heavire right? I think the XL engine may be a requirement for that ?

#7 jazger

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostIsidro, on 27 November 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

Thanks. I think the main issue I am having is that I got too used to playing a light mech (commando). I go in... put in a few slugs... then run like my butt's on fire when things heat up. Running-like-my-butt's-on-fire is not really an option playing this as the speed is not really there. So I guess this is a classic L2P

thats the big issue man. you're not playing a light mech anymore.. each class plays a bit diffrently.. the ways to handle and play a Heavy are a good bit diffrent than a light mech.. a light mech can light survive turning around and running the heck away.. A heavy? is dead. (depending on what its fighting at the time of corse.)

Heavys, for the most part walk slowly into combat range, and start blasting, slowly moveing foward.. hopefuly driveing the enemy back, while your assults cover your rear and move up to engange themselves.

For driveing a heavy, your best starting off, sticking to a wolf pack of other heavys or following an assult. you're tough, have a lot of fire power.. but your still meat to a group.

A light can duck/weave, out run and generaly zip in and out. a heavy, can't. onces its in a fight, its pretty much in the fight till its over, or others distrace the enemy enough for you to pull out.

Stay back, use long range attacks, try to avoid geting up close and personal untill your groups all stuck in.. and you'll do far better.

(this is just general advice, some can make a fast heaqvy that CAN get in, do some dmg then get away, but it takes time, patican and a LOT of practice to pull it off..

#8 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

2 streaks and a bunch of large lasers is what I used to get the basics sorted.

#9 Kibble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Install a standard 300 and work from there. Don't be afraid to drop down leg armor. Also drop the rear armor down to 18 so you can have a full 70 on the front.

I get about 600-700 a match with my setup. I am a secretive type of guy so I'll just stop there :(

#10 themoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 589 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

I;ve got an Ultra AC5, 2 SRM6s and 3 Medium Lasers in mine.

It tears **** up! Get in close and the UAC5 and SRM6s tear mechs apart. The medium lasers are mostly there for backup and light mechs.

#11 Isidro

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

View PostKibble, on 27 November 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

Install a standard 300 and work from there. Don't be afraid to drop down leg armor. Also drop the rear armor down to 18 so you can have a full 70 on the front.

Great advice! I definitely try the armor setup.

View PostKibble, on 27 November 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

I get about 600-700 a match with my setup. I am a secretive type of guy so I'll just stop there :(

LOL. Fair enough :(

View Postthemoob, on 27 November 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

I;ve got an Ultra AC5, 2 SRM6s and 3 Medium Lasers in mine.

It tears **** up! Get in close and the UAC5 and SRM6s tear mechs apart. The medium lasers are mostly there for backup and light mechs.

Wow! didn't know you can fit all that in. *heads to Mech Lab*

#12 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Throw in a gauss rifle into themoob's build for some long range power as you close distance.

#13 themoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 589 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

View PostIsidro, on 27 November 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

Wow! didn't know you can fit all that in. *heads to Mech Lab*

I've got Endo-Steel and the standard engine it comes with, and yeah it all fits fine. Some heat issues occasionally, but that's because I opted for more ammo rather than heatsinks. Just avoid firing the medium lasers until you really need them (lost other weapons, or something in front of you has shut down with red internals on the CT) and you'll be fine.

#14 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

I generally do 500-800 in my cataphract 2x, and I love it. I use an XL engine in it, but it hasn't seemed to really be too much of a hinderance to me. I could see switching it out for a standard engine, but I would lose 2x med lasers and 3x heatsinks... so not sure if I want to go that way.

XL 300 engine
16 Double heatsinks

3x medium lasers
2x SRM6 w/ 2 tons ammo
Gauss w/ 3 tons ammo

400/434 armor, 18 armor on rear torsos, maxed on front.

#15 Zanathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

I tend to shy away from XL's these days having played with one exclusively in other mechs. As one of the other posters suggested, survivability = potential to do more damage. Having an XL is more of a liability and the phract can handle not running one IMO.

My loadout is the gauss + 2xSSRMs (due to my high ping I can't rely on normal SRMs) + 2xML + AMS.

#16 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

I've had success with two builds so far. The first I tried was this:

XL 300
LL
2x ML
2x SRM 6
Gauss Rifle
AMS
ES
DHS

It gives you a solid punch at range and a rather large alpha up close. I usually hang back and weaken targets with the LL+Gauss until the brawls start, and I get into position to support a major brawler. The optimal engagement range in this thing is about 135 meters, the perfect range for dropping SRMs into select components with SRMs. I post this link a lot it seems, but people are usually happy to see it. If you're new to the chassis, or just don't like SRMs, I'd recommend using something more user friendly.

I've dropped down to a Standard 280, AC/10, and SRM 4s. Same deal. You can engage at distance and still have a hefty punch up close. I'm still deciding on it, but the added stamina is very nice. I'd rather find a way to keep the SRM6s.

Edited by Selfish, 28 November 2012 - 01:53 AM.

#17 Vosgedzam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

I love this build on the 2X

1X AC/20 with 7 tons of ammo *group 1*
2X SSRM2 with 2 tons of ammo *group 2*
3X Medium Laser *group 3*
Standard 285 engine
Endos
DHS with 11 Heat Sinks
CASE
Max armor points 434/434

#18 Infavol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:56 AM

Buy some skill :rolleyes:

#19 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

The CTF-2X is by far my most successful mech.

Posted Image

The above round was accomplished in this build:

CTF-2X "The Red Menace"

#20 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostIsidro, on 27 November 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

Concerning the loadout though: Has anyone (using the CTF-2x) got any builds they've had more success on? Or is the 3xLLas + 2xSSRM2 decent enough?

Try packing the biggest XL engine you can in, max the armor and try a GR, 3LL build. I run a GR, 1LL, 3ML build on the 3D and it works like a champ. No rockets, not much heat, and I still seem to break 1k damage once or twice a night. The key is to hang back and WAIT when you get enemy contacts.

It's like playing paintball for the first time. You fill the hopper and run out at the whistle, and more times than not, you'll be spectating. If you lay down at the whistle, listen for the firefights and THEN jump in... The game is a lot easier.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users