81 replies to this topic

#1 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Hey guys, here we go again! Ask your questions about Mechwarrior Online, and we'll take the best question(s), and answer it. So please, ask away!

#2 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

When's closed beta?

Can we see more video?

When can I see X weapon in action

Are you accepting closed beta applications yet?

Can I play as a Clanner?

Is there a single player component?

How's working with Paul?

Is the Timberwolf going to be in at launch?

I asked a few just to save everyone else the trouble. :D

Whats the rough guesstimate of the number of 'mechs in game at launch of open beta?

Cheers.

#3 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

I have one big question, and one small question:

The Big Question: I know in the IGN videos at several points the fact the majority of 'mechs on the battlefield will be mediums was brought up. However, past experience with MechWarrior has lead people to ton up very quickly into one of three roles: A light recon 'mech (which will be very useful here), a fast heavy "raider" and huge assault gunboats. Given the mediums introduced so far are similar in speed to assaults and heavies while carrying far less firepower and armor (thus not having a speed bonus), what will be the primary incentive / limiting factor to make this a reality? How will companies comprised of 10 assault/high end heavies and a couple scouts be prevented and why would I want to drive a Hunchback over an Atlas given the small speed but radical armor and firepower increases?

The Small Question: There's a number of weapons that have, traditionally, been disliked in both past MechWarrior games and TableTop. While I think Machine Guns could be highly effective for their weight if their raw values are ported, weapons like the Autocannon/2 and Autocannon/5 have been traditionally very bad weapons; they do not do enough damage to justify their extreme weight while offering ammo explosion chances, even with the AC/2s range advantage. This has left designs like the base Dragon with a deserved terrible reputation. What steps have been taken to give the AC/2 and AC/5 a place in the MWO arsenal?

EDIT: One more.

Bonus Question: Will there be any area of the game for teams to practice by playing with each other (opposed to regular opponents), disconnected from the metagame? Also, will there be anyway to setup private areas, so for example one Merc Corp can fight another intentionally rather than always utilizing the matchmaker? I feel both are extremely important to competitive play for purposes of practice and intentionally playing against another team.

Edited by Victor Morson, 08 May 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#4 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

Q1. SANDBOX — Will MWO offer an "offline" mode where players can select Mechs they don't have, customize them, and test them out against static targets? (Would help to allow them to familiarize themselves with the controls as well rather than trial by fire)

Q2. CAPTURE THE BASE — Can you expound on the mechanics of base capturing? Does it capture at a faster rate as more teammates occupy the base? Does the base have defenses? Can a single defender stave off capturing progress as long as they are within the base? Are players alerted when their base is being captured?

Q3. EQUIPMENT 101 — Can you confirm whether any chassis is capable of using Standard/Endo Internals, Standard/XL Engines? Will certain chassis of Mechs not be capable of using certain equipment? (ie, Hunchback can't equip Active Probe) or will there be times when a particular variant of that chassis might be capable? Or are equipment open to any Mech that can fit it? Is the same holding true for Jump Jets? Are JJ's just a single-item entity, or can you up the power/duration of one (for more tonnage/cost)?

#5 lashropa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

Can you tell us more about the meta-game?

#6 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

Iashropa is on to something... out of the cockpit, whats going to go on in the universe?

#7 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts
  • LocationMannequin Republic

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

How will replays be handled? Will we be able to use the game engine for replays like SC2, or will the only method be 3rd party apps?

How will we pay for additional mech storage, is it a one time buy or monthly fee?

#8 IronSardaukar

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

What sorts of maps may be available for play at the launch of open beta? I'm certain we can expect what has been shown so far, but what about dense urban maps, and maps which take place in different geographical locations with different climate conditions? As for that, are there any plans to implement weather effects?

Sorry if these have been asked before!

#9 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

What possibilities are being considered for in game purchase on release / Are there any disclosable details for how MWO actually plans to make money off of the game? Such as custom camo, hula girls, Paul seeking missiles, etc.

#10 GargoyleKDR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBlaine, WA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

Will PGI be creating and overseeing a MWO wiki (ala WoT's wiki) that will help the players with useful game information? Some examples that come to mind are:

- Mech info (default armor, speed, hardpoint limits by area, Mech efficiencies, etc.)
- Pilot Skill info (talent trees and the effect they have on game play)
- Maps

- Garg.

Edited by GargoyleKDR, 08 May 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#11 Dark Puppy

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

1) Will we see various warhead loads for the missile systems? Such as thunderstrike or inferno.

2) When will haters stop ******** about the AC/5?

3) Will the release of the game be proceeded by a reset like most MMOs?

#12 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

How much will the act of customizing your Mech cost, aside from just the cost of Parts (what should we expect for MechLab Technical Labor costs)?

Thanks.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 09 May 2012 - 07:15 PM.

#13 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

Can we just copy and paste from the previous thread, or are all those questions considered rejected?

I got a question, this one is more for Bryan or Russ.

Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza was released 10 years ago, and in anticipation for MWO I've watched Die Hard and played DH:NP.
Besides the effort of new members on your team, what do you feel that you're able to bring to MWO due to your experiences since the release of DH:NP? Is there anything that NP taught you (either in its release and reception or development) that you think you'll be able to incorporate into the development of MWO that will make this an enjoyable game?

Bonus question(s):
Are you still proud of your work on NP? Would you still undertake that project today given the chance?

Edited by Motionless, 08 May 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#14 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGarrison duty on some FWL Planet and itching for action.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

I want to ask once more but this time have more info to go on which actually makes my question slightly longer.

What can you tell us about the different variants available, how many variants of each mech will there be and have you decided which ones will be in the game?

#15 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

My question is are we going to be able to create custom matches so that we organize clan matches, play against our friends, create machinima, ect. ect.

#16 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

on the ravine map frequently shown in the demos, which of the devs has accidently driven off the stone bridge the most?

#17 Clarth

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

How will destructible terrain work? How detailed will it be and how will it affect the battle?

#18 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Can you tell us as much as possible about Modules, please? With Mech-Lab covered in Paul's vid on IGN, Modules are the one new thing that we haven't heard much about.

#19 Qman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationCanberra. Oz

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

What are your plans for providing international players with local server hubs? I understand that this is not really needed for beta but I like to look forward.

#20 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

In table top there were times that you or the enemy took a critical hit that made your engine go CRITICAL. When or if this happens in the game will an engine meltdown be even more catastrophic as if you were just normally destroyed? (not that there is a NORMAL way to be destroyed) but you get what I'm asking. Would a critical explosion leave area destruction and have a greater chance of catching other mech in the explosion radius?

Edited by Yoseful Mallad, 08 May 2012 - 05:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users