69 replies to this topic

#61 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

View PostChou Senwan, on 04 December 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

Forest Fire at Night. Have rolling hills, and one portion of the map is on fire. Within line of sight, the area has some light, but lots and lots of trees casting shadows. Go behind a hill, and it's pitch black. If you have night vision on when you crest the hill, it gets fried and you're blinded temporarily.

Anyone here driven through Louisiana, on the Atchafalaya bridge? 30 miles of straight elevated road above bayou, with only occasional islands where you might take a ramp to the water level. Maybe have a map where you're holding the bridge (where you have piled up barricades of cars), and enemies can either come straight at you, or trudge through the swamp very slowly.

Let's have a real sci-fi city, and the ability to knock over towers. You get an achievement if you manage to hopscotch with your jump jets to reach the top of the highest building in town.

The funniest part about that stretch of Interstate 10 is the illusion at night that the road is not so elevated, because the trees are tall enough to look like bushes/small trees from the road. There are dozens of stories of travellers pulling over to pee (it IS 30 miles long), jumping over what they THINK is a guardrail, and falling 20 feet down into the swamp.

It always makes me chuckle to think about what is going through their minds when they realize that first step was a doozy.

#62 Imagine Dragons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationLV-223

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostGaan Cathal, on 10 December 2012 - 06:32 AM, said:

Ahem. Physics 101: Protons are Ions. Ions are charged particles, by definition. A 'charge neutral' ion is not an ion. Further more accelerated chargeless particles (primerily photons and neutrons) have drastically different effects on impacted material than accelerated ions.

On topic, some large scale properly urban matches would be nice, maybe an industrial district of some sort.

I'm pretty sure an Ion was an Atom with an unbalanced charged. The term "particle" in the context of "ions" refers to atoms, sub-atomic particles are your protons/electrons/neutrons. Those are not called ions.

Then again I did do terrible in Chemistry...

#63 Metafox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostXenomorphZZ, on 10 December 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure an Ion was an Atom with an unbalanced charged. The term "particle" in the context of "ions" refers to atoms, sub-atomic particles are your protons/electrons/neutrons. Those are not called ions.

I probably shouldn't be getting off topic here, but a proton is a hydrogen ion. So, how about those futuristic maps?

#64 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

Ahem. Physics 101: Protons are Ions. Ions are charged particles, by definition. A 'charge neutral' ion is not an ion. Further more accelerated chargeless particles (primerily photons and neutrons) have drastically different effects on impacted material than accelerated ions.

On topic, some large scale properly urban matches would be nice, maybe an industrial district of some sort.

View PostXenomorphZZ, on 10 December 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

An ion is "an atom or molecule having a positive charge (is an 'anion') or a negative charge (is a 'cation') due to loss or gain of electrons during a chemical action or exposure to some types of radiation."

As examples, an alpha particle (composed of two protons bound to two neutrons; essentially a helium atom minus its electrons) is an ion, as is hydronium (H3O+).

Likewise, both the hydron (H+; essentially a lone proton) and the hydride (H-; essentially a hydrogen atom with an extra electron) are also ions.

#65 miscreant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 823 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

View PostOppi, on 10 December 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

As others already told you : We aren't talking about a whole Galaxy. Here you can see the size and position of the Inner Sphere inside the Milky Way. The Sphere contains about 2 million stars, the Milky Way about 300 billion. The chances of natural life-supporting worlds within that small fraction of the galaxy are minimal. And if they weren't : Life-supporting worlds would per definition be earth-like.

There might be some with blue plants and yellow skies, but that's about it.

No they shouldn't. You could argue that they shouldn't copy BT 1:1 considering the actual rules of MWO, and I would probably agree, but what we're talking about here is pure fluff. Background information. If they won't keep true to the actual background of Battletech, there's no point in making a Mechwarrior game.

Ok. I give. I guess uninspiring level design should be ok afterall.

My point from the very beginning is they have no idea what those planets would look like, even AFTER terraforming - WHO KNOWS what kind of life would spawn from such an event!

However, since you and so many feel as though that all the planets in the BT/Inner Sphere are Earth-like clones, then I hope they only make Earth clones. Hope the level designers do nothing outside the box, and that their next maps will be simplistic and terrestrial.

I thought this was science fiction, not science fact - my apologies for wanting the maps to be amazing.

Sad really, I know most of you aren't very creative, but it's so highly improbable that all the planets would resemble Earth - even if those planets actually existed.

Edited by miscreant, 10 December 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#66 miscreant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 823 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

By the way, here's the Sarna.net planets list.

http://www.sarna.net...ategory:Planets

No visual reference given, although I'm sure you all know exactly how each one would look...lol.

#67 cmopatrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationa 45 tonner on patrol...

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

well, please allow me to offer physics 201. the beam is rendered charge neutral by passing the initial generated nls ion stream or "beam" (usualy ionized hydrogen atoms are the source) through a low pressure gas (or other suitable source of the opposite charge particles) to (among other things) prevent spread. charge neutral beams will not wind up with the particles repelling themselves. neutral particle beams would be most effective in space, whereas proton charged beams (the ones that are most like the lightning i mentioned in the original post) are best in atmosphere. for work that was current at the time BT was creating the concept, please feel free to take the time to read this or this.

(edit: added) and the reality is that neither would work underwater (my original contention); canon may allow it, but no real world appication could because of the basic reality of what it is.

Edited by cmopatrick, 10 December 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#68 Blaze32

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

there are other creachers native to alienjungle planets in battletech! those bird creachers in that one book... I will find a link

all alien creachers http://www.sarna.net...y:Alien_species

Edited by Blaze32, 07 February 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#69 miscreant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 823 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

Oppi isn't creative and cannot think of 'other worlds', he's stuck on earth and as such does not think life exists outside of earth.

It must be hard going through life without a creative fiber in his body...tsk tsk.

#70 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

i won't fault the developers for starting out in their comfort zone.

we only have 4 maps ATM. the first 4 maps are earth like environments. frozen city is probably the most adventurous of them (as far as theme is concerned)

i do hope they add some more interesting environments, but they are taking small steps and trying to get things right.

one thing i have seen that is very encouraging is some of the added information that is displayed before the match starts. i saw a gravity value for the levels. this could mean some low or high gravity maps might be released in the near future.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users