Follow Lol, Not Wot

42 replies to this topic

#1 Mackman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

I've played League of Legends for almost three years now. Not once did I ever feel that I wasn't making any progress, that I was going too slow, that I had to pay money to be competitive. I've recommended it to everyone I know who games even a little bit. You see a champion you like? Save up and buy him, and he's yours forever! Want to move a little faster? Buy Move-Speed Quints, or invest in the Move-speed mysteries, and they're yours forever.

Here's the really important bit: At no point does improving your favorite champion begin to slow your steady forward progress: Instead, it increases it.

I played WoT for about a month. It was fun. But then I realized that once I had gotten that tank I really wanted, all of a sudden I was making half the money I had been making previously! Are you kidding me? Advancing in the game purposely causes you to advance slower? Getting a really sweet tank causes you to earn less money?

That's the problem with MWO. Besides the utterly transparent price-gouging of charging to gain an upgrade, and charging again to take it off, and charging again to put it on a different mech, there's the fact that getting your favorite mech, and tricking him out just like you'd always dreamed, will cause your C-Bill gain to slow to a crawl.

Did you win without getting so much as a scratch? Congrats, you have money! Did you get a little banged up? Congrats, you have about half of that money. And God help you if you got destroyed. You'll be lucky to make a profit of 5-10,000 C-Bills.

This game is super fun. I'm already thinking about buying a hero mech, getting a few mech bays. But here's the thing: Why should I bother buying my favorite mech if that means I have to play other mechs if I want to earn more money? Why should I keep playing? Why the hell would I give them my money?

Follow LoL. Not WoT.

#2 anonymous175

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Why not follow Dota and give away champions too?

#3 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostZeno Scarborough, on 29 November 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

Yes, tehy should do this, instead of forcing freeplayers to act like target practice NPCs, in overheating clunker mechs.

#4 Mackman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostZeno Scarborough, on 29 November 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong: I actually like the whole Trial Mech system. It's a good system. My main complaint is the obvious and unintuitive price-gouging, and the fact that actually customizing a mech, and making it better, drastically slows down your grinding. Advancing in the game should not have that effect.

#5 Dax Frey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

LoL is a completely different game in design and function...as well as genre...

Its pay model wouldn't translate well into MWO.

WoT's pay model, albeit somewhat flawed, is more accurate for this type of game.

It would be like sticking big muddin' tires on a smart car and calling it an off-road vehicle. pretty damn silly.

Edited by Dax Frey, 29 November 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#6 Rivy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationRiver City for the 7th time in a row >:I

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

I do feel that while LoL's model can't be completely emulated on MWO, it is far better.
Trial mechs are like free LoL Champions that give you no xp and have a predetermined build you can't change.
If the mechlab is half the game (they said that in an early video), then new players are missing out a lot.

#7 the Gingerbread Man

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostDax Frey, on 29 November 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

LoL is a completely different game in design and function...as well as genre...

Its pay model wouldn't translate well into MWO.

WoT's pay model, albeit somewhat flawed, is more accurate for this type of game.

It would be like sticking big muddin' tires on a smart car and calling it an off-road vehicle. pretty damn silly.

Couldn't disagree more. MWO went with a balance system similar to LoL (wanting each chassis/champion to be viable). Then they stuck in the F2P pricing of a radically different system, WoT (clear progression based on grinding and punitive repairs).

Edited by the Gingerbread Man, 29 November 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#8 Windies

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

View Postthe Gingerbread Man, on 29 November 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

Couldn't disagree more. MWO went with a balance system similar to LoL (wanting each chassis/champion to be viable). Then they stuck in the F2P pricing of a radically different system, WoT (clear progression based on grinding and punitive repairs).

Have to agree with this.

#9 DrBlue62

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

View PostMackman, on 29 November 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

I played WoT for about a month. It was fun. But then I realized that once I had gotten that tank I really wanted, all of a sudden I was making half the money I had been making previously! Are you kidding me? Advancing in the game purposely causes you to advance slower? Getting a really sweet tank causes you to earn less money?

I don't what tier you reached in WoT but...
The reason why you make less money per match with high tiers in WoT is because they want people to populate the lower tiers as much if not more than the higher tiers. They also want you to buy premium, which is another thing.

Thankfully every mech in MWO can be competitive against another making them useful compared to WoT lower tiers being ants to larger and just plain better higher tiers.

#10 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

View PostDrBlue62, on 29 November 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

I don't what tier you reached in WoT but...
The reason why you make less money per match with high tiers in WoT is because they want people to populate the lower tiers as much if not more than the higher tiers. They also want you to buy premium, which is another thing.

Thankfully every mech in MWO can be competitive against another making them useful compared to WoT lower tiers being ants to larger and just plain better higher tiers.

In MWO, indeed, every mech is viable against every other mech.

WoT, not so much...

... and come to think of it, I've hardly been playing WoT at all in favor of MWO. Methinks they're doing something right...

#11 Voridan Atreides

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

You'll be lucky to make a profit of 5-10,000 C-Bills.
Follow LoL. Not WoT.

We all know the economy needs to be fixed but you are over exaggerating a lot. With a few mech loadouts this is true. But with all of them? I make MUCH more profit than this.....about 50,000 - 80,000...which is still less than I would make in a trial mech but still. Way to scare the new players away buddy......

Edited by Voridan Atreides, 29 November 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#12 Secundus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

I think PGI are committed to this model, it's clear they are in a bit of a desperate situation to have even considered releasing the game as bare bones as they have, let alone actually doing it. That they're pushing out hero mechs and camo before adding game modes, maps, and fixes just further proves that.

#13 DrBlue62

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostScratx, on 29 November 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

In MWO, indeed, every mech is viable against every other mech.

WoT, not so much...

... and come to think of it, I've hardly been playing WoT at all in favor of MWO. Methinks they're doing something right...

I invested a ton of time in WoT, my username being the same as my MWO if you want my stats. Anyways, I just grew tired of it. Mainly it was due to the shell mechanics of the game, the big issue being the +/- 25% penetration and damage as well as the not so critical hit mechanics that made my blood boil. Actually you know what, it was the pugs that drove me insane. I can't stand them in that game, at least in MWO they aren't as a big of a factor as compared to WoT.

#14 moneyBURNER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Posted Image

#15 Stone Wall

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

You can't buy skill.

#16 Belkor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

View PostDrBlue62, on 29 November 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

I invested a ton of time in WoT, my username being the same as my MWO if you want my stats. Anyways, I just grew tired of it. Mainly it was due to the shell mechanics of the game, the big issue being the +/- 25% penetration and damage as well as the not so critical hit mechanics that made my blood boil. Actually you know what, it was the pugs that drove me insane. I can't stand them in that game, at least in MWO they aren't as a big of a factor as compared to WoT.

My username is also the same as my MWO. I think I have been fairly successful in WoT based on my stats. You are absolutely correct on the pugs of WoT. WoT's biggest flaw is their refusal to implement a skill based matchmaker. It seems like the Russian developers behind WoT can be so brilliant sometimes but become completely oblivious other times.

Edited by Belkor, 30 November 2012 - 12:17 AM.

#17 Jalak Bali

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

The problem is the economy. Once they added more things to spend your c-bills on, they can easily ramp up c-bills earnings per match. At the current rate, if you buffed earnings for free players, premiums will be swimming in cash, with nothing to spend their c-bills on. The camo is a good start. More customizations, more mechs and such will create more c-bill sinks for premiums and free players can also get the buff in income.

That aside, yes, you should earn less if you died. That's the only punishment the game has so far anyway, since you barely pay for ammo. You also shouldn't repair items to save money since damaged items don't affect anything. If there is a buff, they should buff income based on performance: more damage done, more income, spotting, killing, assists should give more money. Heck, even time spent in the match should give you money, alive OR dead.

#18 Usagi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

I'll add to this that they should swap, then slightly tweak, the cost of repairing armor versus internals. The way it's currently done means you are often paying about 40-50% of your repair bill in armor. sometimes more if you're halfway decent and dancing around an absorbing shots on less damaged areas. This, both, makes mechs cost a LOT more to repair, and discourages good game play by punishing it with oppressive repair costs.

Meanwhile, internals may as well not cost money at all to repair. I've had a leg and both arms blown off, then got cored, and the repair cost for structure on that was somewhere around 1800 c-bills...while the armor was about 40,000. That's nuts. In that case, the armor should probably cost around 10,000 (it was pretty heavily stripped) and internals should cost 40-50,000. In that particular case, the repairs, on my model, would actually cost more...but there was very significant internal damage. An average destroyed mech will have moderate to severe armor damage (that should cost in the area of 8-12000, depending on armor type, and mech class) and probably have an internals cost close to that, as most mechs just get coed out, or armed and cored. This would make being destroyed almost as much to repair as it is now...but on average less, as you'll not often take as much structure damage as armor damage, and will reward someone who can damage soak on their armor well.

I believe that would help people earn better money, and feel better about actually winning and surviving, as well.

#19 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

well first of all WoT is P2W lol.

#20 The Wine Gnat

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

I've played League of Legends for almost three years now. Not once did I ever feel that I wasn't making any progress, that I was going too slow, that I had to pay money to be competitive. I've recommended it to everyone I know who games even a little bit. You see a champion you like? Save up and buy him, and he's yours forever! Want to move a little faster? Buy Move-Speed Quints, or invest in the Move-speed mysteries, and they're yours forever.

Here's the really important bit: At no point does improving your favorite champion begin to slow your steady forward progress: Instead, it increases it.

That's the problem with MWO. Besides the utterly transparent price-gouging of charging to gain an upgrade, and charging again to take it off, and charging again to put it on a different mech, there's the fact that getting your favorite mech, and tricking him out just like you'd always dreamed, will cause your C-Bill gain to slow to a crawl.

Did you win without getting so much as a scratch? Congrats, you have money! Did you get a little banged up? Congrats, you have about half of that money. And God help you if you got destroyed. You'll be lucky to make a profit of 5-10,000 C-Bills.

This game is super fun. I'm already thinking about buying a hero mech, getting a few mech bays. But here's the thing: Why should I bother buying my favorite mech if that means I have to play other mechs if I want to earn more money? Why should I keep playing? Why the hell would I give them my money?

Follow LoL. Not WoT.

I've been posted about this very same idea since I started playing during open beta. Stopped playing for that very reason. The Dev team has made absolutely terrible decisions regarding balance, game economy, building/welcoming new players, and much much much more. Instead they are 100% focused on WoT's model. The fact that ohh.... 1/3 of all general forum posts are pleas to non respondent devs proves the downhill direction of this great game idea. Yes idea. The game is ****. I want it to succeed but it never will. Maybe in 6 months if they fire the person guiding their direction, but I doubt it.

I keep reading the forums hoping they will change things for the better or at least RESPOND frequently in the forums, but no. Never going to happen. Back to PS2 and LoL.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users