overheat
die in trial mech
get free cbills
join a new match in trial mech
overheat
die
get free cbill
join new match in trial mech....lather rinse repeat

this is pretty much the point with trial mechs in the current state.

Very true. Its by far the easiest way to make money as free player right now. It still takes ages to the first "real" mech.
And its no fun. At all.

#102 Alex Wolfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

View PostTalonOne, on 08 December 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

Very true. Its by far the easiest way to make money as free player right now. It still takes ages to the first "real" mech.
And its no fun. At all.

I wonder if PGI will "solve" this by decreasing rewards from farming instead of actually making trials useful and fixing the heat.

Oh right, they think trials are useful and heat is fine. Silly me.

#103 RainbowToh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 753 posts
  • LocationLittle Red Dot, SouthEastAsia

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

The trial mechs run hot but they are viable, you just have to discover ur playstyle and group your weapons according to your style. N watch ur heat and watch ur fire. Try to understand the role of the mech's loadout and play according to that.

#104 Secundus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

I have yet to see PGI make a simple smart decision in this game yet. Starting with the Free to Play model, then the game engine (would be great single player, but MP will never fully utilize it, should have gone with UT3), the ridiculous pricing, the glacial pace of content and apparent priority of selling fluff items instead, crazy game breaking bugs that are never fixed only added to, releasing Open Beta way too early, not having the foresight to have a tutorial, not having the foresight to have proper match making, only one super crappy game mode, tiny cluttered maps that make 90% of the conflict within 500m. This game is a travesty.

They couldn't even be bothered to have a decent bug/player reporting system tied to your account, but let me guess "it's still a beta" so maybe we'll see beta reporting systems in the final release. :D

#105 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostBeo Vulf, on 08 December 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

But they do teach new players some very important skills that will benefit them as they become better, and more skilled players. Skills that will benefit their clans, corps, or faction.
1. Heat management
2. Shot placement
3. Fire control

One does not teach a new player with frustration without reward in an F2P game, IMHO.

#106 TalonOne

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

View PostKyrie, on 08 December 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

One does not teach a new player with frustration without reward in an F2P game, IMHO.
Oh, it teaches. But it teaches "this game is frustrating and boring, go play something else and spend your money there"..

#107 Beo Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 739 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationHalsey, NE

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

View PostKyrie, on 08 December 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

Actually it does. You mean you have never learned a life leason due to being frustrated by something. If something frustrates you examine what it is that is frustrating, and determine what solution/s would be most likely to allow you to over come that frustration. If there is more than one possible solution you try them from most likely to succed to least likely to succed until you find the best solution for you. Its basic problem solviing 101. The reward is that the player learns what works and what doesn't. Becoming a better player is the goal after all.

#108 Secundus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

View PostBeo Vulf, on 08 December 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

Actually it does. You mean you have never learned a life leason due to being frustrated by something. If something frustrates you examine what it is that is frustrating, and determine what solution/s would be most likely to allow you to over come that frustration. If there is more than one possible solution you try them from most likely to succed to least likely to succed until you find the best solution for you. Its basic problem solviing 101. The reward is that the player learns what works and what doesn't. Becoming a better player is the goal after all.

I like my entertainment to frustrate me. Like when I buy a DVD or Bluray and it won't let me skip the trailers. When I go to a nice restaurant I expect for the waiter to be super irritating the whole meal until at the end of the night when I tip them. It's basic problem solving 101.

Life lessons are learned in shoddy free to play video game environments.

Edited by Secundus, 08 December 2012 - 09:55 PM.

#109 Beo Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 739 posts
  • LocationHalsey, NE

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

View PostSecundus, on 08 December 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

I like my entertainment to frustrate me. Like when I buy a DVD or Bluray and it won't let me skip the trailers. When I go to a nice restaurant I expect for the waiter to be super irritating the whole meal until at the end of the night when I tip them. It's basic problem solving 101.

Life lessons are learned in shoddy free to play video game environments.

Do you buy that DVD again?
Do you eat at that restaurant again?
Do you complain to the manager of that restaurant or to the corperation that owns the restaurant about the shoddy service?
Do you go onto social media and let others know what exactly anoyed you about the service?
Do you offer suggestions on how they can improve their service, or do you just rant?
There are many ways to deal with a problem, how you deal with it can make a difference in how it gets resolved. A lesson can be learned in any environement, even in an ftp online game.
If the game is so bad for you than don't play it, myself and others still will play in the hope that our suggestions will eventually result in the game (Mechwarrior) we love meeting our expectations.
If you see an bad player doing something you know is stupid, try and help him or her out instead of ranting in chat, or over voip. Ranting at them does nothing but frustrate you further and ****** them off. Helping someone become a better player benefits you if they end up teamed with you again.
Yes I know some if the ingame issues have been around since closed BETA. My hope is that they begin fixing them soon since these are the issues that are frustrating players the most (Bad .net code), but instead of ranting about it maybe if you have the expertise you can put in a suggestion on how they can fix it.

#110 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Beo Vulf,

If a game creates a deliberately frustrating experience for new players, that game is going to have problems retaining players. Problems retaining players leads to reduced opportunities for conversions, and higher overall costs per conversions. That is, attracting new players through marketing campaigns has a cost, measuring the return on that cost is quite important.

I am not a fan of overly "front-loaded" monetization strategies that rely on creating frustration to stimulate purchases. I feel it is a poor design choice that will reflect badly on the game overall.

It is hard to view trial mechs in any other light than as a frustration-inducement mechanism IMHO.

#111 Secundus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

View PostBeo Vulf, on 09 December 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

Do you complain to the manager of that restaurant or to the corperation that owns the restaurant about the shoddy service?
Do you go onto social media and let others know what exactly anoyed you about the service?
Do you offer suggestions on how they can improve their service

Yes and I've been doing all those things with this game for going on 6 months now and I keep getting told by players not unlike yourself that everything will be solved in time, we just have to keep faith and be quiet. Although, you seem to think there isn't a problem and that the way it is is a good thing. When the suggestions of thousands of posts go unheeded for nigh on half a year now they turn into rants. Those rants make me feel better and if ticks off the devs then good, because they don't appear to be doing anything about the problems and haven't bothered to go into damage control.

#112 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

I recommend rolling a trial medium and charging to your death until you can afford the mech you want. Watch the first season of 24 or The Wire or something while you do it and you'll find yourself in a real mech in no time.

#113 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostThe Cool, on 30 November 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

I did play with a team for a bit, and made most of the way towards the cheapest mech.
Which I hear is still terrible, even with the best possible builds.

Oh well.

ECM Commando is now terrible? I was just reading how it makes all Jenners obsolete...

#114 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

View PostDavers, on 09 December 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

ECM Commando is now terrible? I was just reading how it makes all Jenners obsolete...

auto loses to a Raven that can aim even a tiny bit with the lasers though so I still think Raven is tops and ECM commando is pretty bad just like Jenner.

#115 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

Jenners used to be top dogs. Guess it just shows that 'great light pilots' are only as good as their streaks.

#116 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostDavers, on 09 December 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

Jenners used to be top dogs. Guess it just shows that 'great light pilots' are only as good as their streaks.

hehehehe true story. A1/Jenner D "allstar" players are playing forumwarrior: online now.

#117 Beo Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 739 posts
  • LocationHalsey, NE

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

View PostSecundus, on 09 December 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

Yes and I've been doing all those things with this game for going on 6 months now and I keep getting told by players not unlike yourself that everything will be solved in time, we just have to keep faith and be quiet. Although, you seem to think there isn't a problem and that the way it is is a good thing. When the suggestions of thousands of posts go unheeded for nigh on half a year now they turn into rants. Those rants make me feel better and if ticks off the devs then good, because they don't appear to be doing anything about the problems and haven't bothered to go into damage control.

How come you didn't put the rest of my post just the first part? Was this just a choice on your part to rant without putting the full comment? So than you have nothing constructive to say, and you have no constructive input to give like so many trolls in so many games. Go play wow and let the rest of us play the game.

#118 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

Keep the HBK-4SP as a permanent trial mech. :)

#119 JediMastaDJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 427 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

View PostDavers, on 09 December 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

False. I used double Medium Pulse lasers and a TAG until MPLs got nerfed. Then I switched to 3 Medium Lasers and 1 TAG with BAP. I hardly ever died because I was smart. If I did die, it was to Streaks because they were OP and always hit Center Torso, or LRMs because I was stupid and got caught in the open when I shouldn't have. (we all make mistakes.)

I'd say I'm a pretty excellent light pilot and I don't need Streaks to win. :D

I don't roll with my Jenner too much any more. My whole goal was to be a support/scout light mech. I run with BAP, ECM, and TAG on a Raven so that I can support the rest of my team. Works really well with 8v8. Not so much while PUGing.

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users