Rear Facing Camera Hud

10 replies to this topic

#1 E Nigma

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:53 AM

Even cars have side mirrors to see behind them. And it's becoming common place for cars to have a rear facing camera to help with backing up. Mechs should have some way to see behind them and perhaps to the sides as well. It would also help with spotting mechs shooting at you from behind, to make things more sporting for everyone.

#2 Zac78

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationEU/Germany

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

I might be wrong but AFAIR this is a problem of the grafic engine which is not able to have a second point-of-view-picture working atm. Seems to be the reason why the advanced zoom is of quite poor quality, too. But as I sad, I might have gotten this wrong.

#3 Shiney

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 683 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:05 AM

As a module, I say 'maybe', in a small screen, provides no targeting and definitely not natively in mechs.

#4 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:04 AM

View PostE Nigma, on 02 December 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

Even cars have side mirrors to see behind them. And it's becoming common place for cars to have a rear facing camera to help with backing up. Mechs should have some way to see behind them and perhaps to the sides as well. It would also help with spotting mechs shooting at you from behind, to make things more sporting for everyone.

Here are two threads about CryEngine3's "multiple viewports" problems from Crydev.net:
1.) "How to add a rear view mirror window to my CE3 racing game?"
2.) "Problems with Multiple Viewports/Splitscreen/IRender"

Evidently, CE3 doesn't do multiple viewports (as would be the case if a feed from a rear-view camera were being shown on an in-cockpit monitor) very well.
Even stereoscopic views (along other dual-camera work) has issues in CE3.

So, lack of rear-view is largely a result of an issue with the engine's limitations, and is unlikely to be added to MWO until the underlying issues with CE3 are addressed by CryTek.

#5 Willie Sauerland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri, USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

View PostShiney, on 02 December 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

As a module, I say 'maybe', in a small screen, provides no targeting and definitely not natively in mechs.

Why not? Then we could have our rear facing weapons - like the Dragon and Atlas which should have the option of having them...

#6 DarkJaguar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

Well, if you can't render two viewpoints at the same time, why not have a button to push that changes your viewpoint to one facing behind you? Just add a slightly different hud and some noise, and remove the zoom ability from this rearward facing 'camera'?

Edited by DarkJaguar, 02 December 2012 - 07:47 AM.

#7 E Nigma

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

Silly question, how does the program handle the 'mini-tactmap' exactly? It's doing the 'picture in picture' thing already.

#8 WiCkEd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:02 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 02 December 2012 - 06:04 AM, said:

Here are two threads about CryEngine3's "multiple viewports" problems from Crydev.net:
1.) "How to add a rear view mirror window to my CE3 racing game?"
2.) "Problems with Multiple Viewports/Splitscreen/IRender"

Evidently, CE3 doesn't do multiple viewports (as would be the case if a feed from a rear-view camera were being shown on an in-cockpit monitor) very well.
Even stereoscopic views (along other dual-camera work) has issues in CE3.

So, lack of rear-view is largely a result of an issue with the engine's limitations, and is unlikely to be added to MWO until the underlying issues with CE3 are addressed by CryTek.

Informative and addresses the issue with facts. I like your style and thank you.

#9 E Nigma

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

MWO already has a 'picture in picture' with the map HUD. I was thinking that if it can handle the little triangles of the mini-map, perhaps there is a work around. The rear facing HUD could be something as 'primitive' as mere stick figures or outlines.

I was also thinking of the zoom feature could be improved as well. Currently, it's a very out of focus picture that in the opinion of many isn't worth getting. Could the 'start' point of the zoom be set out at 250 meters? Basically you have point A being where the mech is located in the X/Y/Z coordinates and then point B is 250m from point A, changing dynamically based on where the cursor is pointing? Basically a point to point with the cone of vision starting from there.

One more option is if MWO will start allowing arm flips in the mechs that allow it, could you just toggle flipping the camera view behind the mech? And to make the animation look a little better, it could be a tilt down to a side screen or perhaps make it truly look like a HUD as it 'washes out' the forward view so the engine isn't trying to render multiple views at the same time.

Even with limitations of the core engine, there can be work arounds that would allow more options. Just some thoughts.

#10 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

I'm not sure the map works the same way as proper rendering would.

#11 Syllogy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

This is in the Concept stage already, but it is pretty low on the priority totem pole, look for an announcement or ETA this summer.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users