12 replies to this topic

#1 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

So what do you think in what timeline should it be set? maybe on some specific faction? And most importantly who do you think should direct the movie? CGI/live action/or animated?

#2 Xelrah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

Chances for battletech movie are so dim that I don't even want to think of it. Mix of cgi and live action would work best though (see mw4 intro for example).

As for timeline - clan invasion era would not work at all, unless it would be few movies - 1 set before clan invasion that introduces non battletech people to the universe, 2nd probably when invasion starts and last how it ends (battle of Tukayyid and truce as the ending anyone?).
Succession wars era is the easiest to fit some story into it imho.

#3 RFMarine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

as with the novels, something simple is best to introduce the audience to mechs. So the same solution crops up, a story focused on a mercenary company. That way we focus on the fighting, the repairs and the money making. The complex politics tends to be simplified and pushed to the edge

the grey death legion's story would be a nice intro

#4 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

Maybe we should ask Micheal Bray or Uwe Boll to make a movie? those 2 seem to like big robots and game movies

#5 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:14 AM

View PostDrnkJawa, on 02 December 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

Maybe we should ask Micheal Bray or Uwe Boll to make a movie? those 2 seem to like big robots and game movies

No matter who does it as long at it won't be done by Uwe Boll.

But to be honest, I really don't want BT become a movie, don't want to see the fluff dumbed down to something the Blockbuster affine crowd can consume.
Please no Hollywood abuse of Battletech.

My only hope would be a BT movie done with a big budget and vision like they did with LOTR.

But I assume the chanced are low to zero.

#6 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

Maybe we could get James Cameron to do it? so far he hasnt ****** anything up too much(not counting the titanic)

#7 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

Michael Bay is lauded by the art and movie critics for pulling off incredible scenes.

I think they're high off their arses, and every Michael Bay movie is wafer thin in character depth and always, always includes: Explosions, excessive camera shakes, explosions, hot chick love interest, explosions, oversaturation of light, and explosions.

Battletech deserves more. No matter the time period pre-3065, as long as it doesn't go out of its way to focus on Victor Davion the characters have enough depth to them that the script could delve into them. I could easily see a series of movies set in the Twilight of the Clans saga. Just have an intro synopsis like they had in Star Wars, and the rest can be figured out as they go along. I would imagine Trent to be an interesting character to explore.

The stories set in the Battletech universe have always been about both the characters and the mech action.

#8 Pyrite

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 62 posts
  • LocationOberpfalz, Germany

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Joss Whedon.

#9 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

I think the Crescent Hawk's Inception had a good story that could work on film.

Jason Youngblood is in his mech warrior training on a Steiner world. During his training, Kurita attacks the world and takes over. He barely escapes with his life, and finds a friend of his father that helps him organize a small resistance cell. A secret cache of Star League technology is out there, and if he can find it first, he may at least be able to stop Kurita's nefarious plans.
As a plot twist, there is a traitor in their midst that almost ruins their chances to find the Star League cache before Kurita does.

I'd prefer there to be a double or triple twist - two traitors, one that Jason figures out on his own (without the viewer knowing) and sets a trap for, the other striking later (ideally his Hollywood mandated love interest).

I think the 3025 / Succession Wars area has the most potential to create a movie that would be more than just Mech armies clashing - I really would just like to see some CGI animiated batltemech fights, but I'd prefer it to be more than that.

#10 MEGABOT 5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

How about:

A farming planet on the Kurita periphery hadn't seen a raid or a battle in decades, and the people were farmers and lived happy and simple lives. The protagonist would be some young dude who drives around in a truck with his girlfriend and enjoying romancing her and kissing her among the vineyards or whatever. Lives on a big farm, silos everywhere, vertical greenhouses, that sort of thing. His father passed away young and he learned to farm from his dad's eccentric uncle or something, haha.

Boom! Dropship lands, two lances of mechs roll out along with some jerks in a couple of APCs. They roll up to the farm and loot the **** out of it, searching for a weapons cache. Guy and his girlfriend get separated when one of the other farmers shoots one of the bandits out of frustration, and the bandits open fire on the civilians. He barely makes it out of there with his eccentric uncle, who then leads him to one of the greenhouses on his property. Inside the vertical greenhouses are concealed several Lostech mechs. Problem is, they put the neurohelmets up on the wall at the local pub as decor, and they have to go and get them somehow before they can be turned on. So the eccentric uncle and the dude would go on a sneaky mission to get the neurohelmets while the bandits are searching the whole area looking for the weapons cache that the uncle showed the dude. The uncle briefly explains dude's dad was descended from Kerensky or something, and that he no longer had the fight in him, so they retired on this planet to farm, but hid 4 assault mechs on the farm... just in case.

He then explains to him how piloting works, and the helmet or whatever, in the course of them sneaking to the town to get the helmets. He also explains that the Lostech is of such significance that he'd rather die than have the mechs fall into the wrong hands, because the technology in them could throw off the balance of the Houses or whatever. Of course, it goes awry when they get the helmets, the eccentric uncle is captured and the dude gets away with a helmet. Eccentric uncle is caught with a neurohelmet and then the bandits KNOW the young guy knows where the weapons cache is, and they call him on his iPhone 500 and say they have his friend, his girl, and his farm buddies from the town, and they'll kill them all unless he's back in the town by 9 pm to tell them where the mechs are hidden. Bandit leader seems to be in a panic all the time and hints at "being followed" after discovering that there's a Lostech cache on the planet

Dude goes to the other secret greenhouses the eccentric uncle showed him, then queue a montage of him trying to pilot an Atlas II or perhaps a Ragnarok, firing the weapons into a silo or something, etc. Maybe showing the mech startup sequence and a cool opportunity to show the technology or whatever.

Guy pilots the mech towards the city and breaks down on the way, thinking he can't take 8 mechs in the one mech he's in, with no training. So he decides to surrender.

Meanwhile the eccentric uncle managed to escape with the towns people after doing some sneaky eccentric ****, his jacket catches fire or something while escaping and he drops it in the street, dude shows up at the city center with the assault mech and is ambushed by both lances of lights and mediums, the bandit leader then radios to him to shut the mech down and surrender it, he's outnumbered. Dude then notices his eccentric uncle's jacket on fire outside the blown-up police station they escaped from, but he didn't know they escaped and he thinks he was killed along with his gf, so he's like "No... NO!!!!" and then powers the Ragnarok back on, and then a magical CGI 10 minute fight of 8 VS 1 starts, complete with every weapon in the game firing, melee combat, overheating, everything

Then finally when he's killed the other 7 mechs, the bandit leader takes out the gyro of the Ragnarok or whatever assault Dude is piloting, and he's like "You should've just surrendered, now I have to kill you!" and he lines up his gun point-blank for a cockpit shot and the cockpit is already cracked and Dude is heavily wounded and bleeding out...

Then just then, a clan assault death-from-aboves the bandit leader out of nowhere, and radios Dude and is like "you're just like your great grandfather" or something, and then elementals swarm the cockpit of the Ragnarok and dude passes out

Dude wakes up on a clan ship in like 3 months and eccentric uncle and his gf are now fighting on the side of Jade Falcon or something and Dude is like a cyborg or something... sets it up for part 2, the clan invasion

Weed wore off, ending got weak, sorry, hehe

#11 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

I could see a variety of books adapted into a live action series like Game of Thrones instead of a movie.

Though as far as movies go, we could create a trilogy for Blood of Kerensky, the GDL Trilogy or Warrior trilogy.
We would need someone like Peter Jackson to adapt them properly if we want to get quality like LoTR.

The Sword and the Dagger could easily be adapted into a standalone movie IMO.

#12 FerretGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostDrnkJawa, on 02 December 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

I hate you.

#13 PANZERBUNNY

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

I volunteer my time as I'm a genius in creating sounds, music and am a dream to see through the camera. :)

If any film was to be made of Battletech it would have to be a gritty, gritty dark look at the world and not some robotic puff up blast fest.

These days you could make a real artsy film base in the Battletech universe for a fairly modest sum if you aren't out to create Transformers: Batletech.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users