35 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas Covenant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

Posted Image

Ok. This is inspired by the Community Contributor Banner, but I imagine those will be handed out by the Dev team. I do think we the community should have a system for recognizing these members too.

So here it is...

Redshift2k5

Ohmwrecker

My two votes. There may be people that do more, but these are these one's that particulary affected my experience.

So how about you? WhatTWO members have most benefited your experience?
At some point we will take these submissions and make a formal poll for Community Contributor Of The Month!

Also PGI if you want to reserve that name, we can make this the Unofficial or Community seleceted Contributor Of The Month.

*please use their exact name including capitalization. If it's not worth the effort they didn't really earn your nomination.*

Nominations:

Spoiler

Last Updated:

Edited by Thomas Covenant, 08 December 2012 - 09:21 PM.

#2 Icebound

• Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Voting? My guess is that it will be automatically given as a cockpit decoration when you reach a certain number of posts in the forum. Magichamsta helped me learn how to use SRMs properly on a fast mech so I'd vote for him.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

Posted Image

#4 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

View PostIcebound, on 02 December 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

Magichamsta helped me learn how to use SRMs properly on a fast mech.

Posted Image

#5 Wizard Steve

• 1,053 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:05 AM

For me, it would have to be ohmwrecker and Justin Bengtson, author of Solaris Skunk Werks. I don't know if Justin is present here on the forums and if I have to pick from forum members, my second would be RAM.

#6 Sinluien

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

i was curious about this myself. maybe it will encourage some positive posting and more people willing and wanting to help.

#7 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

MustrumRidcully And Tarrys for encouraging good team play for *everyone*.

Edit: I can't follow rules.

Edited by Lefty Lucy, 03 December 2012 - 01:37 AM.

#8 Zeke Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • 164 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:17 AM

I'll say the proactive "gotta get this fixed now!" or the more vocal members of the community. They're the ones who get the community talking and are going to push this game to where it needs to be.
That being said...... I still think a unknown # of them should tone it down a little, if I was a mod I'd be very apethetic when browsing these forums.

#9 Lefty Lucy

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

Oh, and Anders because he likes me so much and has always been so respectful when I run into him in game.

#10 Thomas Covenant

• 1,186 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 03 December 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

MustrumRidcully And MCVIII (the guy who wrote the ridiculously huge essays about the heat system), oh and Tarrys for encouraging good team play for *everyone*.

Should we up it to 3? That was my original idea, but I could only think of 2 names myself.

#11 Lefty Lucy

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

View PostThomas Covenant, on 03 December 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

Should we up it to 3? That was my original idea, but I could only think of 2 names myself.

IDGAF.

#12 Kobold

• Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

Does whining constantly about ECM constitute contribution? :)

#13 Thomas Covenant

• 1,186 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:34 AM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 03 December 2012 - 01:31 AM, said:

IDGAF.

I think I do want a limit on nominations, if only to make it easier to keep track. Lets go ahead and keep it at your TWO top picks for this one.

View PostKobold, on 03 December 2012 - 01:31 AM, said:

Does whining constantly about ECM constitute contribution? :)

If it improved your MWO experience... sure.

Edited by Thomas Covenant, 03 December 2012 - 01:34 AM.

#14 Lefty Lucy

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

View PostThomas Covenant, on 03 December 2012 - 01:34 AM, said:

I think I do want a limit on nominations, if only to make it easier to keep track. Lets go ahead and keep it at your TWO top picks for this one.

If it improved your MWO experience... sure.

Lol, fine, if you're going to enforce the rules can you change my votes to Mustrum and Tarrys.

#15 Barnaby Jones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 434 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

involving the general mwo public in nominating will inevitably result in this becoming nothing but a popularity contest.

If PGI wants it to actually mean something, they should leave it at the discretion of their mods.

And that being said, there is currently no way to recognize those that are helpful with in the matches other than personal anecdotes (another avenue for it becoming a popularity contest) or a lucky frapsing...

all in all, Nice Idea, but the implementation that the thread seems to be taking leaves it very vulnerable to being handed out way to much and dimishing its purpose, or it turning into a middle school student body president race.

(and Ohm and Redshift are good people, and their reputation would make them both obvious choices to the mods for this honor)

#16 Draxtier

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

I think determinations of who in the community gets such a banner should be handled exclusively by PGI moderators and community masters, and that nominations and votes and anything like that from regular MWO players/customers should be ignored entirely.

If you think someone is helpful and deserves recognition for it, click on the 'Like this' button or say thanks, and leave it there.

#17 Thomas Covenant

• 1,186 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

View PostBarnaby Jones, on 03 December 2012 - 01:44 AM, said:

involving the general mwo public in nominating will inevitably result in this becoming nothing but a popularity contest.

If PGI wants it to actually mean something, they should leave it at the discretion of their mods.

And that being said, there is currently no way to recognize those that are helpful with in the matches other than personal anecdotes (another avenue for it becoming a popularity contest) or a lucky frapsing...

all in all, Nice Idea, but the implementation that the thread seems to be taking leaves it very vulnerable to being handed out way to much and dimishing its purpose, or it turning into a middle school student body president race.

(and Ohm and Redshift are good people, and their reputation would make them both obvious choices to the mods for this honor)

popularity contest? Eh maybe.

Reminds me of a quote from Mother Teresa:

People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway.
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

While I mean well, this will be to you what ever you make it to be. I think it's quite an honour just to be nominated for this list. While it can be seen as something petty, eh so what, I see it as much needed and positively motivated recognition.

And personally, I'm all for community driven activities. I think you don't really love something until you take ownership of it.

Edited by Thomas Covenant, 03 December 2012 - 02:19 AM.

#18 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:06 AM

For helping me personally? Ohmwrecker for his stat charts. I see a ton of other people who help others all the time, so it's hard to choose a 2nd...

#19 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

1. Ohmwrecker
2. smurfynet

If they ever form an alliance... Well, I don't know any superlatives metaphors or anything, but I think it would be great.

Honorable Mentions:
Prosperty Park for his Beta Meme thread. :)
Abrahms. Yeah, I know, he often posts in trollish manner and that's usually bad for the community, but he opened me up to the balance or heat problems this game has and motivated me to figure this game out.

And there are more people. I mean, writing an Excel or a Java Mech Lab is pretty awesome.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 03 December 2012 - 06:38 AM.

#20 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

Hmmm...

Redshift and Ohmwrecker sound good to me.

You could also turn this into a poll. :)

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users