42 replies to this topic

#21 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

I recommend putting your arm guns on the corresponding mouse buttons whenever you have powerful weapons with similar characteristics in that arm (doesn't work as well with Large/Medium laser RS builds, etc.) This allows you to do just as TooleRoo describes, firing around cover and allies without friendly fire or wasted ammo/heat.

#22 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

I love it when I am standing there shooting at someone at range, 400+ and I am zoomed in trying to be accurate, next thing I see is a friendly standing 50m in front of me. Like really? I know you like my spot but I was occupying it first.

#23 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:07 AM

I fully sympathise OP, number of time I have a fantastic position on a corner and someone shoves in in-front of me when I'm in full flow firing.

Although I will add something:
The above is almost equalled now by the number of times I have been shot when playing a fast medium by some self entitled heavy mech user who thinks his fire lane is far more important than, for example, the fact that I need to keep moving to survive in a brawl. He just wants to stand in one place and point and click. Easy mode.

The friendly fire/fire lane thing goes both ways. Just a point.

#24 Galenit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:05 AM

View PostJammerben87, on 25 November 2013 - 03:07 AM, said:

The friendly fire/fire lane thing goes both ways. Just a point.

Nah, as you could read, its just the others that should have situational awarness.

The op claims that he still fires, despites he sees an ally that he will hit, what clearly shows that he only demands sa from others ...

But allys stepping in front of you or ******* your *** and making a retreat impossible are for sure a problem i know too ...
... killing or damaging my allys is no solution for it.

Edited by Galenit, 25 November 2013 - 04:08 AM.

#25 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

I still haven't become jaded enough to just keep plugging away, but tonight alone I alpha'd down I believe it was four allies (one TWICE, grrrr), who walked in front of me dueling with another assault.

Dancing around each other, twisting to spread damage, waiting for him to overheat....overheats, line up for all ~60 damage in a weakspot......BJ-1© darts in to '20 the same spot.

Poor nub never got the chance as that ~60 some damage gutted him for what was left of his back, with enough damage to spare that I likely could have gone out the front and finished the foe off as well.

The only thing that has changed is that I no longer feel sorry nor do I apologize, if anything, my remarks tend to be snarky and sarcastic as I'm more ticked at the c-bill penalty (small or not) that they just imposed on me for being a duffus. I do still try to keep that to myself unless they make mention of it.

The other thing that drives me nuts are those 'allies' that grab your back armor when you're in the middle of a brawl and still pound on your back after the opponent is down. My reflex action is to shoot what's shooting me. I know I could pause a second, glancing at the mini-map isn't exactly hard, but instinct is shoot first, check arrows later, and given that I'm taking repeated salvos in the back, I deem that it's actually not my fault I just cockpit'd the sorry soul's rig. THAT I do manage to still feel a touch sheepish about, but meh, I'm not the one who was trying to shoot the enemy through my teammate's back plates.

Edited by Mercer Skye, 25 November 2013 - 04:34 AM.

#26 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:58 AM

I encounter this kind of behavior most when I am on the side that is rolling the enemy. A collective "Woah, the enemy is falling quickly, need to dive in recklessly and get mine before everyone is dead". Like a pack of wild dogs they charge out, ignoring everything in their mad dash for blood and glory.

I also see this a lot in large blobs of campers. There are only a limited number of spots that offer both cover and a firing position and people shove in to take their favorite spot.

So I am not quite sure what the ration is between experienced players and new players that "cut in", but I suspect that a goodly portion are experienced players counting on your "battle manners" keeping them safe from the lack of their own.

#27 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:02 AM

If frendlies crossing your line of fire, hold your fire! Whats wrong with you people.

#28 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

The basic rule is, the guy in the back is ALWAYS at fault and should ALWAYS make sure his line of fire is safe before pulling the trigger. Accidents do happen and another player could always jump infront of you or walk in your line of fire after its too late, but whenever possible, stop shooting or jerk your crosshairs away if you are using a Laser weapon at the time.

There are no rear facing cameras or ways to look out of the back of your own mech and the only one who can see the other one is the one at the back.

That having been said, you should always look out regarding where you are standing and where your teammates are facing on your radar (It only shows the legs, so it isnt 100% sure that their torsos are actually facing where the legs are facing). if you see an arrow facing you and you have an enemy infront of you, then try to move to one side and leave a firing lane for the people behind you.

Also another important lesson to learn... DONT FACEHUG. If you are facehugging an enemy, then dont come and complain here that you are continuously getting frendly fire. Keep your distance (at least 75 meters is enough for every weapon to be able to deal damage) so that you block less of the firing lines on an enemy for your team.

#29 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:54 AM

I will run across fire if I need to get away from something but only if I must, what I wont do is stand behind or in front of any who has clearly taken up a position.
they are likely zoomed in and wont see you and once their fire reports they will likely move back ( so don't block their fire or their cover )
all too often like more than once a match someone steps in during the fire delay on my streaks and cops em in the back instead of the locked mark involved in a circle dance with friendlys 150m away, ill be timing their launch with that dance so as not to hit friends but it all seems in vain.

and I thought I was the noob.

#30 Shock Jockey

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

Wow, I'm going to go the entire opposite route here...

If you are in a 400m firefight and you are just standing there while 2-3 of your lancemates are circling your target, you get to wait.

Mobility is life. If that means you sacrifice a bit of your DPS to keep the enemy overwhelmed by more moving targets, then check your damn fire.

Just because you chose to be the "leet Sniper" does not mean you get to dictate everyone elses play-style unless you are commanding a 12man group drop. Most mechs shouldn't be standing still like you are. Maybe you need to change your own playstyle eh?

#31 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

I got no problem with the guys circling in close quarters those are not the ones im talking about, im happy to time fire to suit their needs.

its they guys who come stand 20 to 50 meters ( often less ) in front of you when your 150m out with target locked firing srm streaks. they just step in from out side your field of view block your line and start shooting.

that deserves one in the back !

#32 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

just on a similar note, if your team mate is taking heavy fire and attempting to reverse back into cover, get the **** out of his way. he doesnt know your there, and even if he did you shouldnt be standing directly behind someone anyway you should be to the side.

if you want to hide behind something, find a rock. they dont reverse.

#33 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

I will comment on both sides of this especially as I am not piloting a Light.

To those commenting on avoiding your fire lanes, there times I can and times I cannot. When you move real fast, the slightest decision becomes something you have to commit to.
Left or Right?
Left around terrain.
Friendly I did not see clearly
Oh damn he shoots me
I am still alive, move on.

That is what a few times has happened. That's life as a Light pilot where you are moving at ~150kph.

I will also say what was said previously, there are times I wind up with one or more enemies chasing me so I run back to friendlies. I try to do this in your view so you can see my pursuers coming, it is called I am bringing you more targets to choose from.

Now on the flip side, this does not just happen to snipers. I have rarely (only twice) TK'd anyone in any Mech and TMK have never been TK'd. The second time was recently and yes in my Locust.

Caustic, me and a friendly Spider on my left are chasing a Cicada around the outside of the center. Just as the Cicada goes up a rise I fire my laser and MGs (yes the 1V Locust). Imagine how embarrassing it is when the Spider suddenly goes Right going up the rise and gets right in my fire. TK, dead Spider. I texted an apology after the match, no time during. Again life as a Light pilot, things move VERY fast and the slightest decision is death or life.

As for backing up when behind someone, I am thankful for a Lights speed, even backing up goes fast. :(

View PostVoid Angel, on 15 November 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

I'm right there with you, but might I suggest that expressing too much justified frustration can be counter-productive? I've found that it's better to edit myself to be a little more calm - and I've still had crazy people burst into flame and start misquoting Sun Tzu...

I cannot stand the people who quote or follow Sun Tzu but that's a whole other subject. :)

#34 LQuinze

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:26 AM

View PostShock Jockey, on 26 November 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Mobility is life. If that means you sacrifice a bit of your DPS to keep the enemy overwhelmed by more moving targets, then check your damn fire.

This can't be emphasized enough. If a friendly squats in front of you, that's one thing, but generally most allies will cross your fire lanes because they are moving to flank or engage the opponent aggressively. Holding off for a second or two will help you out in the long run.

#35 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:08 AM

I literally typed this in a game a few days ago and certainly lived up to it:
"Message to team, just because you move in front of me while I'm shooting does NOT mean I am going to stop shooting"

People love to follow you around, let you do all of the damage, and take all the damage then move right in front of you and steal the kill once they see a red torso. This is basically how the majority of high KDR players get that, besides hiding at the spawn and coming out at the very end to find people at 20% for easy kills.

#36 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:16 AM

View Postsneeking, on 26 November 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

I got no problem with the guys circling in close quarters those are not the ones im talking about, im happy to time fire to suit their needs.

its they guys who come stand 20 to 50 meters ( often less ) in front of you when your 150m out with target locked firing srm streaks. they just step in from out side your field of view block your line and start shooting.

that deserves one in the back !

They do it because they were hiding behind you letting you do all the work. The reason they can get away with this is because these conniving pilots know that people will stop shooting for fear of a team kill or just because most people are generally nice. This is a calculated tactic to snake kills. I am seeing this more and more. I thought I was paranoid at first but, this is even happening over and over on maps that are wide open like alpine. They could be anywhere within a circle around the enemy but, conveniently slide in right in front of me just before I'm about to kill the enemy. Even if they do take a few shots to the back they are still getting a free kill for their effort.

#37 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:43 AM

Another thing to keep in mind is if you are the way of say Atlases, Victors, Awesomes, and Highlanders, you are blocking a lot of their harder hitting weapons while the enemy can target them while only having to worry about the smaller mech's payload. If you fail to move, eventually the assault pilot will likely decide the best thing for his survival is to blast through you to get to the guy that's shooting him. Situational awareness is a very good thing.

#38 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:36 AM

I hadn't considered the "tactical" side of it riot, not one I will employ.

I will stand to the side and stack my fire, if the kill is mine the so be it ( happy with an assist ) because if you hold back to stay clean and poach kills you will progress the mech and pilot trees slowly.

all you will have to show is a meaningless kdr which you can screen shot for your forum thread ;)

#39 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:56 AM

Conversely, it's slightly annoying if I've been sitting alone in a good sniper spot for 60s or so, and then another mech notices and wants to use the same spot, so he sits behind me and starts plugging away even thought that Gauss hanging low and to the side on his arm is also right behind my LRT with it's squishy XL engine.

#40 Thejuggla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:17 AM

You should be leaving people room to fire, more people shooting the same mech faster it dies. Yeah were eager to make that kill faster and move on to the next instead of letting you 1v1 them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users