Centurion Cn9-D Builds?

43 replies to this topic

#1 Pugastrius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 196 posts
  • LocationOn Top of Your Dead Mech

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

So the "max speed' on the CN9-D caught my eye and was wondering whether there were really any effective builds to go with it. My biggest hang-up is that you're effectively giving up one of the Centurions biggest advantages (the razor thin center torso) by equipping an XL engine.

I've been trying (but can't quite find the tonnage) to get a pair of AC2s, MLs, and Streaks onto one but can't seem to find the tonnage.

Secondary Question: Is there a website that lays out the engine weights?

#2 ReissTC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 112 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Personally my loadout with the CN9-D is:

Ultra AC/5 + 2 tons ammo
ER Large Laser
2x SSRM2 launchers + 1 ton ammo
300 XL engine
BAP
288 armour (standard)
And the rest filled with heatsinks. (Single for now)

Mostly use it as a mobile long/medium range fighter, use the speed (97.2 km/h) to keep as far from foes as possible. ER Large Laser since it has a closer range to the UAC/5 than the standard large laser - runs a bit hot, though. Planning on giving it DHS at some point.

Love the UAC/5. Fires faster than the regular AC/5, even without double shot, so hardly jams if you refrain from spamming it (though spam is nice in a pinch). SSRM2 are there just to deal with light mechs - laser runs a bit hot to fire constantly at a fast target like a Jenner, and lag-shield makes the UAC/5 all but useless against such targets.

BAP just to help identify targets as far away as possible. Suppose, in a way, speed + BAP allows it to double up as as scout in a pinch (or in the odd game where there's no light mechs)

Also, there's a forum topic where someone has listed all the engine weights (+ other stats): http://mwomercs.com/...s-excel-inside/

Have tried a similar setup to what you're trying to get, with the 300XL (defaul -D engine) wasn't able to pull it off without running too hot. Not fond of the AC/2 in any case.

Edited by ReissTC, 03 December 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#3 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

The centurion has a big pancake torso and the XL engine makes killing a torso just as viable as killing the CT.

Now a CN9-D cannot stand up to the other CN9 configurations. When I am roaming around in my CN9-AL or CN9-A I love soloing out CN9-D's when I get the chance just because streaks eat them alive when they try to use their speed to dance around me. It never works out for the CN9-D

The sniper configuration is a decent alternative, but keep him mind you get hit by dual guass to the torso and there is a chance to instantly pop your engine right there, not to mention you can only take 1-2 salvos on any location before your essentially "hang'n on by a thread"

The best configurations I can come up with is making a Striker built around popping up briefly alpha striking and then using your speed to turn and do another hit and run.

http://mwowiki.org/w...Centurion_CN9-D

Personaly I would ditch the streaks and go with x2 Med's and x2 SRM6's with Artemis and possibly a AC2 - AC5 if you can afford the weight once you put in Endo Steel.

The CN9-D can achieve 126 KPH but at best you would only have 2 meds and 2 SSRM'2 on a bigger chasis.

It's a tough question. I'll work on it to see where it gets me.

#4 Pugastrius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 196 posts
  • LocationOn Top of Your Dead Mech

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

So here's the build that I have put together at the moment:
340 XL Engine (110 KPH)
2 MLs
UAC 5
2xSSRM

Full armor throughout torso but Stripping off a ton of armor from the legs & arms to make it happen.

#5 roastpuff

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 03 December 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

The best configurations I can come up with is making a Striker built around popping up briefly alpha striking and then using your speed to turn and do another hit and run.

http://mwowiki.org/w...Centurion_CN9-D

Personaly I would ditch the streaks and go with x2 Med's and x2 SRM6's with Artemis and possibly a AC2 - AC5 if you can afford the weight once you put in Endo Steel.

The CN9-D can achieve 126 KPH but at best you would only have 2 meds and 2 SSRM'2 on a bigger chasis.

It's a tough question. I'll work on it to see where it gets me.

The build above with the 2xSRM6A, AC2 and 2xML is exactly what I am running. I have endo in the 'Mech and DHS as well. It has been really effective as a striker - I shake them up with the AC2 as I close in, and then hit them with the SRM's and ML when I get closer. I am running almost max armour as well, so that lets me survive encounters with brawlers pretty well, and I pack a surprising punch with the 2xSRM6.

#6 _Rorschach_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

Torso twisting to use your shield arm is even more important in a D than in any other CN. I put all my tonnage into SRM6 and MPL, so I don't have a ballistic weapon effectively giving me a second shield arm. Armor is full on both of them.
It's far less hardy than my A with a std engine (I survived one game with a deep-red ct, orange shoulder and a single leg), but the D is a lot faster, turns better and has a much more powerful alpha and more dps. It's more difficult to pilot so because of that and the high cost I'd say it's for experienced pilots only. But you can wreak a lot of havoc with it. And it's incredibly fun to zoom around the battlefield with a 120kph medium ;)

#7 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

If you want to go zoom zoom in this mech, the ballistic weapons are a bit pointless I think. It's difficult to aim an ac5 when you're going fast, and the best strategy I've found for this mech is to never stop moving.

I use a 350xl, 14dhs, es
2 x mpl
2 x ssrm2 1 ton ammo
AMS 1 ton ammo
max armor

With speed tweak I do 121kph, and can often pile up 400-500 dmg in a match, because I'm always firing at something. I can also use this as a lure mech to run around behind the firing lines and disrupt them. Unlike the Jenner or other light mechs, I can actually take a couple of salvos before making my get away. By this time, my team has crested the ridge and is pouring fire into the backs of mechs that turned to deal with me.

#8 Gremlong

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

My CN9-D is my longer range Cent. My A and AL are my close range Cetns

In my CN9-D
STD 200
DHS (10 total)
Endo
2x case
2x LRM 10's + artimis (3 tons ammo)
AC 2 ( 1 ton ammo)
2x SL
320 Armor

Not as much fun as my A variant , but I still like to run it for a change of pace. I sit back and pepper enemies from a distance. I try to move with team and just stay a little further back. When the LRM's start to run low I am close enough to start to engaging with AC 2, the SL's are just for back up and when things get really close.

#9 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

My CN9-D is like a Ferrari. Expensive, and very sexy.

XL300, Ferro Armor, Endo Steel, 10 Double Heatsinks

Gauss rifle w/ 2 tons ammo
2x ML
2x SSRM w/ 1 ton ammo

Hits like 107KPH with speed tweak, and has the firepower to kill pretty much anything. Anything significantly bigger than it (atlases) its manuverable enough to stay in the kill zone behind it. Its a pretty deadly beast. But with only 20 gauss shots, you need to make em count.

#10 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

I've been scratching my head over the D, trying to come up with a build that fits my style. For reference, I run my A with UAC/5, 3xSSRM-2, 2xML, AMS, ES, 200 engine, and my AL with 2xLL, 2xML, 2xSSRM-2, AMS, ES, 200 engine. Both are great fun to play and 2-4 kills per match aren't unheard of.

I tried almost the whole way through basic efficiencies to find a D build that worked for me, but I couldn't find it. I tried with and without the XL engine, with and without the LBX, with and without SSRMs, dual AC/2, AC/10 - it just wouldn't gel.

Then last night I thought "well stjobe, you're going to have to do something with this if you're ever going to stomach mastering the CN9 chassis", and I put an UAC/5 in the right arm, 2xML and 2xSSRM-2 in with the XL engine, and hit launch.

We're on Caustic, and it's a ridge stand-off. I snipe a bit with my UAC but to no great effect and a close encounter with a Phract takes my right arm off. I disengage from the ridge and see a Commando trying to sneak the left hand side, so I set off after him. Turns out he's probably disconnected, because he runs straight off the map. Something hits me in the back and I turn around to see a Hunchback and a Dragon. I look up at the score and we're down 3-7.

Ah well, I still have my streaks and MLs, might as well go out in a blaze of glory. So I focus on the Hunch, and soon take him down. The Dragon is next and it's kind of fun to imagine him going "What the... I can't shake this guy!" when I pump ML after ML into his back. As he goes down I see a blue and a red triangle in our base (which is kind of weird since the scoreboard says the enemy has 7 kills, but whatever). The blue is a Commando and the red is another HBK trying to cap. I join the Commando in working him over and soon get the kill-shot.

As we head towards the enemy cap thinking the match is all over but the capping, we come across a Phract in the caldera who engages us. We run circles around him as he walks backwards towards his base, and he finally succumbs to a couple of MLs from my Cent.

Now the match must be over! 7-7 on the scoreboard, let's go cap! I type out "well played little buddy" to my Commando team-mate and head towards the cap... Only to be hit by lasers in the back. It's the final enemy, a Hunchback that has returned from wherever he was to engage us. We do a merry dance, all of us out of ammo, trying to score hits with lasers. The Commando finally gets the kill and the match ends.

4 kills for me in my D and a match turned around from 3-7 to 8-7 (or probably 2-6 to 7-6, with the DC'd Commando counting somehow).

I think I might like the D after all :lol:

Edited by stjobe, 04 December 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#11 Orkimedes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Current setup:
XL300, LBX 10 AC, SRM6, 2xMpulse.

I used it to great fun (and effect) as a light mech hunter. Especially since the jenners have (temporarily?) made way for ECM-equipped speedsters, this build really can give them the pain and chase them down. The LBX was more of a matter of principle. It's really not all that good, but it's certainly useful in hitting lights. To bad it withers and crumples up into foetal position compared to an SRM6 since your assumed role doesn't usually allow to take use of the LBX10's low recycle anyway.

potentially upcoming setup:
STD300, 2xMpulse, 2xSRM6

Yeah. This is possible. Not sure if viable, but it's sure as hell going to be fun. ~110kph in a centurion? without an XL? bring on the speedzombie.

#12 jazger

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

View PostOrkimedes, on 04 December 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

potentially upcoming setup:
STD300, 2xMpulse, 2xSRM6

Yeah. This is possible. Not sure if viable, but it's sure as hell going to be fun. ~110kph in a centurion? without an XL? bring on the speedzombie.

I've a build like that, but i wasn't able to take 2 MPLs.. (i didn't want to drop armor, nor take Fer armor yet as i don't want to high repair costs yet.) I went w/ 2 MLs.

STD 300
2 MLs.
2 SRM6. w/ 3 tons of ammo.
Endo-Steel
D-heat sinks. (+1 for 11 total)

speed - 97.2 (i need speed freak.. lol)
Heat - 1.28
Armor - 336 (Standard)

Over i like it, gotten up to 4 kills in one game. 2 MLs, and 2 SRM 6 to the back can be very painfull.)

Mostly i try to shadow the main group, then charge in, trying to target the back of what ever i can.

#13 Coren Yi

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

The build I'm finding most effective is as follows:

XL 300
Endosteel
Double Heat Sinks(only the stock ones in engine)
2 MedPulseLas
1LB 10-X AC (2 tons of ammo)
2 Streak SRM 2s (1 ton of Ammo) with case
336 armor(took 1 point off each leg)

Runs like a dream, it's an amazing brawler capable of handling anything from an atlas to a hyper-spider.

#14 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

My Setup for the D works well for me, i copied it from the german forum where i posted it a few days back:

Upgrades:
ENDO
FF
ARTEMIS
DHS

LOADOUT:

230 Standard Engine
304 of 338 Armor(everywhere max despite of the legs)
1 AC5 + 2 tons of ammp
1 MG + 1 ton of ammo (for the soon to be MG buff)
2 Med Laser
1 SRM6+Artemis
1 SRM4+Artemis
2 tons of ammo

It's fun to play and does his damage best at mid-to close range.
But you can soften up your targets from a distance with the AC5 before.
It works against every type of mech, and because of the HUGE armor it has big staying power ^_^

#15 Bagua

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

View PostPugastrius, on 03 December 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

So the "max speed' on the CN9-D caught my eye and was wondering whether there were really any effective builds to go with it. My biggest hang-up is that you're effectively giving up one of the Centurions biggest advantages (the razor thin center torso) by equipping an XL engine.

I love this build of the CN9-D. It feels like a light mech.

Edited by Bagua, 25 January 2013 - 02:09 AM.

#16 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

ehm... did you have any success with that thing so far?
really low damage output and speed.

so the only thing that has it is speed.

my mandos deal WAY more damage. :S

#17 Takony

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 265 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

Hi,

I've bought the D for the purpose of maxing the Cent skills, and I have been using it like the rest of my Cents (A and AL),
as a zombie brawler.

Others have posted it already, I would just like to confirm it (from my POV of course), the key to success is a standard engine and ML/MPL-s and 2x SRM6-s, with artemis in the D-s case, utilising the artemis upgrade which comes with this horribly expensive mech.

STD 280 (my pref) or 300 (107 kph with spead tweak was too much for my old bones lol), 2 ML/MPL in the CT, 2x SRM6+Artemis, CASE + 3-4 t SRM ammo in the LT (I tend to avoid placing ammo in the legs, since mediums' legs tend to get damage from collisions, terrain and the opponents either aiming for it purposedly, hoping to find reduced armor and ammo there, or their aim simply slips there as you run around them on hillsides and the like, and an ammo explosion transfers from your legs to your torso) and double heat sinks.

This way your alpha will be pretty neat, you can shield yourself with your arms (reduce armor there if you have to from 32 to 16) by torso twisting during weapon cooldown, zombie like a true undead even with all your side torsoes destroyed, and still have the speed advantage, without the XL engine which is just suicide in a Centurion with its kilometer-wide side torsoes, no matter your speed (especially with the now-improved netcode and less lag-shield).

If you are hell-bent on using a ballistic in your arm, go for a smaller engine (I use std 245 from my other Cents) and use an AC2 for super-long range harassement: pick at those still-standing snipers from cover, sticking out only your right arm, and when your ammo is out, charge in and go trigger happy with the shotgun (an srm6+srm4 in this case) in your chest. But overall this is less efficient than the simple ML+srm6-s build.

Of course you can opt for SSRM 2-s as well, giving you more options for ballistics, in case you play in a team which can ensure ECM superiority, but for pugging and 4-manning with no or just 1 ECM, srm-s are your bread and butter.

Have fun with your D!

[edit: ssrm]

Edited by Takony, 25 January 2013 - 04:01 AM.

#18 Bagua

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

View PostEwigan, on 25 January 2013 - 02:22 AM, said:

ehm... did you have any success with that thing so far?
really low damage output and speed.

so the only thing that has it is speed.

my mandos deal WAY more damage. :S

Yep, prepatch (with lagshield) it worked very well and I loved to play this build. I think the damage output is around 300 damage per round. Alternativly the TAG can be replaced by another MPL for more damage output and it has nearly twice the armor than the commando.
Since the last patch I was not able to play much, so I did not test it out with the current version.

#19 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Well my personal setup is this
<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=29&l=f3dcd17bc86e30f2aca237505c59bafb63fd60c5">CN9-D Chimera</a>

#20 bonapartist1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:45 AM

Just want to say that I hate this mech, and wish I'd never bought it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users