43 replies to this topic

#21 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Been playing this one lately:

Two AC/2's (or one UAC or AC/5, or one AC/10...I keep alternating)
Two LRM 5's (1 ton less than an LRM 10)
Two ML or MPL

~250 Standard Engine

Definitely no good as a 1v1 mech but is pretty fun to roll with the big guys.

#22 Vimeous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

I originally planned to steal the 300XL for something bigger and fit a spare 250std. However I ran UAC5 (+3t), 2x ML, SRM4 / SRM6 (+ 1t) for while and enjoyed it.
Thing is although I could do damage I kept getting sucked into brawls to use the SRMs only to run out of ammo and get lunched.
Switching to AC10 (+4t), 2x ML, 2x SSRM2 (+1t) has meant I can still do solid damage but stay at range and survive more matches!

Run as an Assault support mech you can make cutting attacks to confuse and breakup the enemy and prevent focused fire on your big boys. It's alright as a light hunter, handy for flanking manouvers and great for sneaking up behind Assaults already engaged in a firefight.

Next temptation is to try a 275XL and switch back to SRM4/6's with more ammo but speed is armour and it might well be less successful.

#23 Shazarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 525 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

XL300
LB10x
2 MLAS
1 SRM6+Artemis

Go to town

#24 J I N

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

I understand why everybody wants to use the potential speed of the D, but I don't think XL's are a good choice for any Centurion...
In a direct fight I simply shoot the right side of another Cent and most of the time kill him, while he is trying to get my CT... in worst case he looses his main weapons, so i get some time to get his CT.

I bought the D one hour ago as my third Centurion and try this build: CN9-D 2x AC5 2x ML
2 ballistiv slots seem to be the option everybody forgets, when they see the potential speed of the D...
I don't have money for DHS yet, but it works quite good as a support-sniper and I brawled with a 98% (XL) Highlander and won. :)

#25 Revorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

I run my Cent with 2AC2 and its intresting ro play with.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4f5af4253d6ff00

#26 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostRevorn, on 03 June 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

I run my Cent with 2AC2 and its intresting ro play with.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4f5af4253d6ff00

14 damage alpha?

I find your lack of meta disturbing :)

#27 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

XL315, Gauss, 2ML could be ok:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...108f042b937cde8

On the subject of XL versus STD engine, it really comes down to purpose. If you're running with a big ballistic in your right arm then you probably want XL as you'll need the speed to keep your arm as long as possible. If not, then go standard because then all of your weapons are torso mounted so you can zombie around :)

#28 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

using ac10, 2 ml 2x streaks great setup. good range, good speed and good sustained dps. not generally huge damage 200-300 but it cores nicely and kills regularly.1.5-2.

excellent support mech, either for the heavies as 2nd line fire support or lights as a brawler to take the attention of whatever they are chipping away at.

#29 Ranor95

• PipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

Am I the only one that is fine running default CN9-D? The LRM allows for long-range support whilst the shotgun-esque cannon can tear a new one into mechs by getting up close with the fact speed. Very good at taking out light mechs as I can keep up with them but generally deal more damage (and take more damage in return) and with the speed I'm difficult to kill with LRM's as it's easy for me to bump up next to the missile boat within their minimum range.

I am however thinking of swapping out the engine for a standard one, save a few tonnes in the process and perhaps add some bells and whistles. But the question is; what STD engine should I use and what should I do with the freed up space? Was thinking of getting an ER laser or another long-range weapon. LRM aside the D variant has no long-range utility if things get too heated in the open for me to be able to run up close and circle strafe the heavies or act as a 'flyswatter' to light mechs hopping around my team.

#30 Gunrile

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

What do you all think of this build for a light hunter D?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a0c8b2a5c4d9fb7

I already have the YLW and an A variant, so i'm itching to try something that takes advantage of the speed on the D variant.

#31 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

View PostGunrile, on 09 June 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

What do you all think of this build for a light hunter D?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a0c8b2a5c4d9fb7

I already have the YLW and an A variant, so i'm itching to try something that takes advantage of the speed on the D variant.

Would drop the machine guns and engine size and mount AC/5. And use it to leg them with MPL while hitting CT with streaks.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...95738febe859283

Dedicated "Light hunters" are usually a bad call in my experience...

Edited by IV Amen, 09 June 2013 - 10:57 PM.

#32 Polk738

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

I know this thread is old but thought I'd put in my D build <a href="

the vid says XL 305 but I run an XL 315 now with no case and BAP highest so far has been 721 damage

#33 JP Alpha

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

I run two different configurations:

XL300, Gauss, 2ML, 2SSRM
XL340, LB10X, 2ML, 2SSRM

The speed is fun with the 340, but I prefer the Gauss to the LBX.

#34 whtwlf

• PipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 82 posts
  • LocationTerra Firma

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

View Postpack wolf, on 04 December 2012 - 01:42 AM, said:

Torso twisting to use your shield arm is even more important in a D than in any other CN. I put all my tonnage into SRM6 and MPL, so I don't have a ballistic weapon effectively giving me a second shield arm. Armor is full on both of them.

I'm glad I found this build, it's by far one of the most fun to run for this chassis. I was already used to using my arms as shields seeing as I tend to run XLs exclusively in my Centurions. To make protecting my torso easier, pilots would intentionally aim for the ballistics arm, understandably. My survivability was a lot higher than I was expecting and the maneuverability of this build shot my damage through the roof.

Posted Image

#35 SirSlaughter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 370 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

CN9-D is different in two things: high speed and 2 ballistic slots.

I don't really like the 2 MGs setups with XL340+ then I created this build. What's the role? Direct fire support with high dps.

Flank enemies and keep your distance from melee guys (the 2 ballistics do full damage until 700m). You are a poor CN9, people will not shoot at you while engaged in combat with the rest of your team.

Edited by SirSlaughter, 08 August 2013 - 07:46 AM.

#36 Dazzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationSpain next to Gibraltar

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

[color=#959595]My CN9-D His name is ¨Death[/color]

[color=#959595]2 AC2´s[/color]
2 SRM6´s
[color=#959595]2 ML´s[/color]

He kick bottom at 100 KPH B)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dc72a0aae7f5d83

#37 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

View PostPugastrius, on 03 December 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

I've been trying (but can't quite find the tonnage) to get a pair of AC2s, MLs, and Streaks onto one but can't seem to find the tonnage.

CN9-D

there you go B)

#38 MechWarrior679696

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWhere you don't want to be

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

I've always favored the LB10-X over almost any other ballistic weapon. It, and the UAC/5, are the only "special" weapons in the current ballistics lineup (the other being "not special" because they don't offer particular unique advantages that mean that a skilled pilot can gain another significant edge or "tweak" they can use for an advantage). Thus, I think that a high-speed centurion should naturally include it:

IHATELIGHTS

This build does put in a somewhat smaller engine than I'd like on the CN9-D, and the armor on the arms and legs is kinda shrimpy if they notice what you're up to. But that is easily remedied by swapping for a UAC/5 and beefing up accordingly. Or, if you just want to use the XL300 that comes with the mech, the natural build is of course the long-ranged High-Speed Bomber.

#39 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostMr Huge, on 01 December 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

I've always favored the LB10-X over almost any other ballistic weapon.

Caveats for hit detection apply, but for that extra little bit of animosity for your target: add a pair of standard SRM-2s, flip open your bay door, link them with your LB-X and don't fire until you see the whites of his eyes.

#40 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

CN9-D "Duncan"

simple, efficient, plays to the strengths of the chassis nicely. also, not very expensive once you've already purchased the stock version.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users