Applying The Art Of War To Mwo

8 replies to this topic

#1 Selvetarm

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

I recently began reading Sun Tzu's The Art of War, and have noticed that it applies itself quite well to Mechwarrior Online. Not all of it is applicable, mind you, but the basic principles of warfare are indeed so universal that they can be applied almost anywhere.

For instance: One of the ideas that Sun Tzu presents in his work is that you should never attack uphill, nor defend downhill. This is a situation I have found myself in several times in the game, and I have to say that I have never successfully defended a lower elevation from an assault launched from a higher elevation.

Another example is the disposition of sizes between two forces. When you outnumber the enemy, surround him. When you are equal with the enemy, engage him in open combat. When you are outnumbered, divide and conquer.

Also of pointed interest is the application of "spies." In this case, your scouts are of course your spies, and their primary objective in battle should be to relay information on enemy position and movement. Secondly they should seek to counter other scouts by either crippling them or destroying them.

All I'm saying is that if you find yourself questioning your own strategies, The Art of War might be worth a read.

#2 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Great read. Even a few famous football coached have praised the book.

One thing I remember is the art of deception. I have seen it used in many battles. Like the lone jenner who runs away over the hill trying to lure you into a pack of enemies.

#3 Nermal

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 11 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostKrazy Kat, on 03 December 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

Like the lone jenner who runs away over the hill trying to lure you into a pack of enemies.

Oh no! Why did 2 HBKs and a Cataphract chase him?!?!

#4 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

It's applicable to everything! It's a good read too, if you can get a version that hasn't been padded out to oblivion by people trying to make it more complicated. The original version was short, sweet and straight to the point. Most modern versions have some form of long winded commentary attached to each point. Meh.

My favourite Sun Tsu quote: "All war is deception"

My second favourite Sun Tsu quote: "Shooting at an untargeted enemy? Press the friggin R key"

#5 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 03 December 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

My favourite Sun Tsu quote: "All war is deception"

My second favourite Sun Tsu quote: "Shooting at an untargeted enemy? Press the friggin R key"

3rd favorite quote: "Don't chase the shiny Jenner unless you can keep up."

#6 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

View PostMagicHamsta, on 05 December 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

3rd favorite quote: "Don't chase the shiny Jenner unless you can keep up."

Ha, awesome! That quote just so happened to coincide with my own third favorite. Here is my fourth - it would have been ranked higher on the list, but unlike most of Lord Tsu's quotes, it's a little too long winded for my linking.

Sun Tzu said:

"In the operations of war, where there are in the field a thousand swift chariots, as many heavy chariots, and a hundred thousand mail-clad soldiers, with provisions enough to carry them a thousand LI, the expenditure at home and at the front, including entertainment of guests, small items such as glue and paint and expensive snowmen bobbleheads, and sums spent on chariots and armor, will reach the total of a thousand ounces of silver per day. Such is the cost of raising an army of 100,000 men. The successful commander is most aware of this cost when an Atlas arrives and stomps them all into the dirt. Thus, he must balance the cost of these infantry against the cost of the average Atlas, and may decide that a decent brawler may be more cost effective, unless the lord raising these levies is a founder, in which case he will have a slightly better time of it, and may be able to afford a Streak Cat, unless he has not pressed his founders button.

Now bear with me fellow generals, here it gets technical.

If your enemy has more Atlases than you, and your own fast brawlers are not fitted with Streaks, or your own brawlers are not fitted with Gauss, you need to whomp their buttocks with a veritable manure-load of LRM's, unless they have ECM. A successful commander knows that if his enemy has ECM, and he does not have ECM, he needs to get ECM. The successful commmander also knows that in war, if he has ECM, and his enemy does not have ECM, he cannot but lose, unless his cheap *** enemy decides to rush his base.

The lord of war has a headache. CONCUBINE, ATTEND ME."

I think there's something applicable in that one for all of us.

#7 SPencil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 763 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

Technology might change, but war never does.

War within, war without, war never ending.

Edited by SPencil, 05 December 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#8 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Chapter 5 is my favorite...energy, momentum, force. Shambala Press translation and historical commentary by Thomas Cleary is the best edition.

#9 Murku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

I think I lean toward the Senryaku, the cheap Japanese knockoff.

Fave applications:

'Set a fire in your enemy's house', or, snake your lag-shielded Cicada between your opponents Heavies for some friendly fire fun to distract them while your Battleline crests the ridge and begins gutting them.

and

'Trade a sheep for a sword', or, stop trying to circle dance that smug pair of Jenners trying leg you, accept a few holes in your rear torso as you lead them in a clear line through your team's waiting killzone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users