Mechwarrior Online Soundtrack Project

135 replies to this topic

Poll: Mechwarrior Soundtracks Project (228 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like this soundtrack project to be part of Mechwarrior Online?

1. Voted Yes we love it! create an entire album (201 votes [88.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 88.16%

2. No we dont like it (27 votes [11.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Lord Malasorte

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Amazing work guys! love it!

#22 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Tag

#23 Poppaukko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 236 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

It kinda lacks the 'oomph' I like to have in a music while playing MWO.

It would great if the music changed according to the situation, for example when enemies have not been encountered yet, the music would be something with a low bpm, anticipating music, like your "The Forsaken" (minus the dubstep bits, they sound a bit out of place).

Then when the fighting starts something like this:

#24 AV 4 T 4 R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

View PostPoppaukko, on 04 December 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

It would great if the music changed according to the situation, for example when enemies have not been encountered yet, the music would be something with a low bpm, anticipating music, like your "The Forsaken" (minus the dubstep bits, they sound a bit out of place).

Hello Poppaukko,

This can be done but depends on the developers, not me. This kind of "dynamic sound" is handled by the game engine that "switch" a song with another one.

If you like the sound of you youtube link, it's quite easy to recreate. I tried to begin with a more "orchestral" epic soundscape, but if desired and required it's quite simple to compose this kind of music!

#25 Omid Kiarostami

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

I don't post much but... this is pretty cool. :P

#26 Icebound

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Anything would be an improvement.

#27 xDark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

Forsaken is awesome! My only suggestion is that some parts don't feel "stompy" enough. Reminds me a lot of MW2 though which is awesome.

Land of fire is pretty good. Fairly stompy, great MW4-esque guitars, but a little too much epic orchestra for a mech game IMO.

Falling...to be honest I don't think this fitsvery well. It makes me feel like I should be playing a generic medieval fantasy MMO slaying dragons and stuff. The beat is pretty nice though.

I'd love to hear more! My main suggestion is to include machine-like stompiness, MW2-style "tribal" war drums, etc, and not use so much orchestra as that's kind of overdone nowadays. Basically, I want to feel like I'm going to war. I want to feel scared. Like I could go into this next battle and not come out alive.

Just my 2 cents - thanks!

#28 AV 4 T 4 R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

View PostOmid Kiarostami, on 04 December 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

I don't post much but... this is pretty cool. :P

Thanks! :ph34r:

View PostxDark, on 04 December 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

Forsaken is awesome! My only suggestion is that some parts don't feel "stompy" enough. Reminds me a lot of MW2 though which is awesome.

Land of fire is pretty good. Fairly stompy, great MW4-esque guitars, but a little too much epic orchestra for a mech game IMO.

Falling...to be honest I don't think this fitsvery well. It makes me feel like I should be playing a generic medieval fantasy MMO slaying dragons and stuff. The beat is pretty nice though.

I'd love to hear more! My main suggestion is to include machine-like stompiness, MW2-style "tribal" war drums, etc, and not use so much orchestra as that's kind of overdone nowadays. Basically, I want to feel like I'm going to war. I want to feel scared. Like I could go into this next battle and not come out alive.

Just my 2 cents - thanks!

I tried to compose the "widest" spectrum of genre, exactly to receive feedback from the community.
Surely the player feedback is very subjective, so it's important to provide different genre in order to allow the wider amount of player to fit in.

Surely I can seriously think to provide some "tribal war" soundtrack ;) I like the idea and this could be my next one.

Thanks for your feedback

Edited by AV 4 T 4 R, 04 December 2012 - 04:51 PM.

#29 Indk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

sounds good dude keep it up

#30 The Cheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

It's nicely produced, but not really what I'd choose.

I actually liked all of the tracks, with the exception of "The Forsaken". That track has too much of an "old school" feeling, which is something I feel that this game should be moving away from.

My choice would be to have a dynamic soundtrack which changes with the in-game situation. When you're standing around waiting, you might have a low tempo track with a "tense" feel to it to add some anticipation. When you enter combat, the track fades to something a bit heavier. When you're heavily damaged and in combat, you get a track with a panicked or "last stand" feel to it.

Stuff like that.

Keep at it, dude. Community input like this can only help the game!

Edited by The Cheese, 04 December 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#31 AV 4 T 4 R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostThe Cheese, on 04 December 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

It's nicely produced, but not really what I'd choose.

I actually liked all of the tracks, with the exception of "The Forsaken". That track has too much of an "old school" feeling, which is something I feel that this game should be moving away from.

My choice would be to have a dynamic soundtrack which changes with the in-game situation. When you're standing around waiting, you might have a low tempo track with a "tense" feel to it to add some anticipation. When you enter combat, the track fades to something a bit heavier. When you're heavily damaged and in combat, you get a track with a panicked or "last stand" feel to it.

Stuff like that.

Hi,

Yes this could be done but need to be "planned" and "programmed" by the Dev team.
If this beheaviour is programmed, it's quite easy to develop a "dynamic" mood with 3 or 4 different (but compatible each other) soundtracks

#32 chtulhuftagn

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

Hi i'm the other composer of the MW soundtracks, i'm very impressed about the feedback of the last track. and i'm fain to this :)

I read the comment, and with Av4tAr we decide to create other track following your advice.

Now i immediately start to work ! thx you all for the feedback!

#33 PeeAeMKay

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

I really like Land of Fire and Falling. Both sound very epic, but I think with the percussion in it it still sounds modern enough for a mech game, despite the orchestra bits.

I find it hard to get used to the dubstep bits in Forsaken, though.

I also like the Menu track, I think that would fit very well in the game. I think it comes very close to some of the background music in Mechwarrior 2, which still had the best music in the series, in my opinion. It has a menacing "calm before the storm" atmosphere to it.

My only criticism so far would be that Land of Fire and Falling might draw too much attention to themselves, I don't know how well they would work as background music. In the actual game, they might be a little distracting.

Mechwarrior 2 also had tracks with orchestra and brass sections, but they were still more subtle about it, I think. For example:

Mechwarrior 2 - Wolf Trial 1
Mechwarrior 2 - Title Theme

Still, I would enjoy well done background music in MWO very much, so I'm looking forward to the next pieces :-)

#34 Commander Gravey

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationThe Gold Founders Ladies and Gentleman Club

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

View Postchtulhuftagn, on 05 December 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

Hi i'm the other composer of the MW soundtracks, i'm very impressed about the feedback of the last track. and i'm fain to this :)

I read the comment, and with Av4tAr we decide to create other track following your advice.

Now i immediately start to work ! thx you all for the feedback!

You guys are not employed currently?! Why don't you start working for PGI.

I bet you composed these awesome pieces in a actual professional studio(me hopes).

#35 AV 4 T 4 R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

View PostCommander Gravey, on 05 December 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

You guys are not employed currently?! Why don't you start working for PGI.

I bet you composed these awesome pieces in a actual professional studio(me hopes).

Hi Gravey,

Yes we have a professional studio full of software and libraries to compose this songs and also sound design fx.
We are not employed from PGI of course and it would be "amazing" if PGI would like to start a collaboration with us.

Right now we are composing these songs as a Gift to their work. The only thing we would like is "PGI Dev Team" Feedback and Blessing :)

View PostPeeAeMKay, on 05 December 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

I really like Land of Fire and Falling. Both sound very epic, but I think with the percussion in it it still sounds modern enough for a mech game, despite the orchestra bits.

I also like the Menu track, I think that would fit very well in the game. I think it comes very close to some of the background music in Mechwarrior 2, which still had the best music in the series, in my opinion. It has a menacing "calm before the storm" atmosphere to it.

My only criticism so far would be that Land of Fire and Falling might draw too much attention to themselves, I don't know how well they would work as background music. In the actual game, they might be a little distracting.

Mechwarrior 2 also had tracks with orchestra and brass sections, but they were still more subtle about it, I think. For example:

Still, I would enjoy well done background music in MWO very much, so I'm looking forward to the next pieces :-)

Yes right now we "composed" the song with a "Standalone" Concept. Without knowing if PGI would never give a chance to host music inside the game, we created the music to be listen independently by the game.

If required we can also create "pure atmospheric soundscape" without being to much in "First layer" like these ones.

#36 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

I most definetly want "Land of Fire" in the games soundtrack. That song is awesome and I can imagine brwaling to it on Caustic Valley.

I also love the Menu song. Strip the intro and outro, so it can run in an endless loop and you're spot on in my view.

Falling is nice aswell.

The first song "Forsaken" I don't like so much. Too much chaos lacking a clear structure or it is hiding it from me :). I do love the part starting at 2:47 though. A song revolving around that theme would be awesome.

#37 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

LOVE the music. Would like to see some metal elements (I remember on youtube compilations using System of a Down and others). The 4 on there are great though. Thanks for donating time and talent (I wish I had talent, but alas, I'm just a telephony engineer......). Good work!

#38 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Menu and fire are good. Menu would actually be great for non-combat music in the game itself and change to something when you do find an enemy. :)

I'll have to say that I dislike Forsaken, just for the record.

Edited by Elizander, 05 December 2012 - 07:57 AM.

#39 chtulhuftagn

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

View PostPeeAeMKay, on 05 December 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us to aim the right genre and to improve our development. We are working right now on a "Tribal war March" full of percussion :) Stay tuned

#40 AvatarofWhat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 591 posts
  • LocationAntares

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

This is friggin amazing. Good Job!

Really like all of them especially forsaken as a soundtrack for frozen city night.

Keep up the good work! I hope PGI hires you.

EDIT- Okay, land of fire is also sooooo good. Can't decide between it and forsaken as my favorite...

Edited by AvatarofWhat, 05 December 2012 - 08:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users