Mechwarrior Online Soundtrack Project

135 replies to this topic

Poll: Mechwarrior Soundtracks Project (228 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like this soundtrack project to be part of Mechwarrior Online?

1. Voted Yes we love it! create an entire album (201 votes [88.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 88.16%

2. No we dont like it (27 votes [11.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Bors Mistral

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

I like the soundwork you've done, guys.

However, with the exception of "Land of Fire", I don't find your tracks very suitable for MWO.

The following is from the point of view of a reviewer, I'm not a sound tech, but you should try something a little more industrial. Also, keep in mind that this is a multiplayer game and the music shouldn't be overbearing and should not drawn out chat and feedback sounds from the battlefield.

#42 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

I think this definitely deserves a spot in the Community Building Contest :)

#43 AV 4 T 4 R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

View PostBors Mistral, on 05 December 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

I like the soundwork you've done, guys.

However, with the exception of "Land of Fire", I don't find your tracks very suitable for MWO.

The following is from the point of view of a reviewer, I'm not a sound tech, but you should try something a little more industrial. Also, keep in mind that this is a multiplayer game and the music shouldn't be overbearing and should not drawn out chat and feedback sounds from the battlefield.

Hi Bors,
Yes we composed the songs also to be considered like an "independent Album" exactly because we understand maybe the "multyplayer" concept does not "allow" too "protagonist" music. But this is just a break trought :)

MENU song is the most suitable with your concept of "soundscape" right?

#44 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

I think PGI would do well to recruite some of the fanbase to do some work for them

some things like objects maybe even maps, even half complete still some work done (more minds are more ideas too)

small things like item or mech descriptions
Icons
and what not

I'm shure that most of the fans who actually stick around are mechwarrior fans past their school time

there might be those around that can do well in modelling, mapmaking, sound/music etc.

I'm shure the legal things could be worked out quite well and as a reward maybe some unique fluff for those that participated (successfully at least)

Just a thought

anyway
Love the music
looking forward to a complete soundtrack :-)

#45 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

Forums went offline for the update yesterday and I was too busy with school to get back on so I'll post this inow. Loving the new music and how you went for a range to get different emotional effects. Though right it sounds more like mission mood music but as been stated some dynamic control engine side should fix that though I can only hope it is handled client side.

Maybe I am nostalgic, but I do like how besides running the game music according to ingame cues the original C&C series allowed you to set the music to shuffle of all the ingame tracks, loop, repeate individual tracks and even make temp playlists for the game session of available tracks that had the afformentioned options. Granted there were about 40 tracks ranging from about 1:00 to 4:00+. Be nifty if the devs could give us a similar option.

That thought aside, you have made some great stuff that I would loving listing to while playing, mixing in Ride of the Valkyries on occasion.

#46 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

It reminds me of the music from MW2 and the MW2: Merc expansion, except with a bit more techno/electronic noise. Good work!

Let's keep heavy death metal out of my Mech Warrior.

Edited by General Taskeen, 05 December 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#47 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

From best to worst:

Land of Fire is fantastic and fits the Mechwarrior metallic synth post-apoc vibe well. It's worth including.

Falling is decent albeit forgettable (reminds me of Tomb Raider music, or some generic modern movie music).

Menu music is fine I guess as ambient background music in some sub-menu like the options menu. Main menu music would need something more memorable than this. This piece actually just kind of depresses me rather than hypes me up to want to play a match.

The forsaken is pretty bad dubsteb that has no place whatsoever in Mechwarrior.

#48 Enigmos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Nice piece, taken altogether.

Parts left me wanting Wagner and die Walkure but all in all it was good work.

I'll defer my vote until I hear what the devs have going.

#49 AV 4 T 4 R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Yes. We are thinking also to create some music like "The Forsaken" but without the DubStep effect. Only atmosphere music with some piano melody.

#50 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

I love these tracks, well done!

I made this for fun a while back - not nearly as nice. :lol:

Edited by SI The Joker, 05 December 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#51 Dukarriope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Locationa creative suite

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

I'm probably not a great judge or anything of this, but while I think it's good, it's not incredibly amazing or anything that holds me in an iron grip.

That said, I'm not sure it fits in the game at the moment, but I can see it working in with a bit of a cleaner, less 'noisy' (i.e. with less distortion filters), maybe harder rock style going. Keep it going.
Alternatively you could try something more electrical? I liked Land of Fire mostly till those 'fizzy' bits came in.

#52 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUK, Buckinghamshire

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

The stuff you've done is good. Very good, in fact, and I love the idea of a whole soundtrack album for MWO. I do, however, believe this game is suited a bit more for a rock-styled soundtrack, much like MW4. Your "The Forsaken" track would really work well as ambient on a night map though, I liked it a lot.

#53 AV 4 T 4 R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

We are working on something new very cool :(

#54 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

well actually i like it so far, you seem to have a good sense for MW soundtracks:) i was thinking about doing some tracks as well, but honestly, i´m kinda burned out :(

looking forward to hear more of that... (fav: land of fire, nice for fights^^)

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 05 December 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#55 KovarD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 473 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

My favorite is "Falling". Loved the orchestral music.

I didnt liked the dubstep effect of "The Forsaken". But I can notice it have great melodies (MW2 violins), but the dubstep kills everything.

"Land of Fire" reminds me Crysis 2 soundtrack.

#56 Nillavi

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Something like these two tracks I think would fit right in with MWO. I think both styles are very MWOesque, but regardless of what influences you decide to go off on don't put dubstep like effects into your sound palette, it doesn't fit in at all.

http://youtu.be/-92uOzA-3fk
http://youtu.be/iMP3PwCUH9k

#57 AV 4 T 4 R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

Ok! We will create a new version of The Forsaken without the DubStep. But before we will deliver a new Tribal war March music.

#58 F lan Ker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArctic Circle

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:30 AM

S!

I liked the idea. Would make it a lot darker and industrial. BattleTech is a dark age, war and metal beast clashing. So the music should reflect that too :D So more darker elements and less dingel dangel dubstep or such.

#59 Zephiris

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

I was thinking of doing something music wise too, but my approach would be to just scratch the old, and repaint the accoustic and melodic landscape of the music...

also, my music style / genre would probably be totally different than what people are used to until now. AND, my time is very limited, none the less, my music also would be for free, just because it's fun to produce music... :D

samples of my earlier music can be found here:
https://soundcloud.com/zephiris

also, i hear what some in here say about lacking the "oomph". AV 4 T 4 R , if you like, we could try a coop production? my rock/heavy metal isn't very good, but I am told that my production, mixing and mastering skills are one of a kind... B)

if you're interested, i could fiddle around with stuff and see what I can do to make it more "oomphtah" :)

#60 GODzillaGSPB

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:02 AM

I like it, though it's a bit too much. A soundtrack should be in the background. Less base, less additional noises. The specific sound level is of course up to the player, as he can surely change the loudness of music seperately as in many games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users