Community Building Contest

79 replies to this topic

Poll: Community Building Contest (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Community Support

1. Taryys (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Redshift2k5 (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Cybermech (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

4. Krivvan (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Relic1701 (0 votes [0.00%])

6. TriggerHippy (1 votes [4.17%])

7. Deablos (0 votes [0.00%])

8. MagicM0E (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Panthura (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Pheydra Sagan (0 votes [0.00%])

11. OhmWrecker (15 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

12. Helmer (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Community Contribution

1. AV4T4R (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Thomas Covenant (1 votes [4.17%])

3. Heffay (1 votes [4.17%])

4. Stalkerr (10 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

5. Weebz (10 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

6. Seth (0 votes [0.00%])

7. ARMD (2 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

I was going to post a rather long winded thread debunking (and most likely degrading) the popular opinions on this forum. I realized, however, that not only would it do no good, but it would also just increase the cycle of vitriol, hatred, and venom displayed here en mass on a daily basis.

Instead, I chose to do something substantially harder - I'm making a thread to try to break this cycle and change the community from the inner city crack house it's become back into a place that is actually worth visiting. If I, a cynical and short tempered ***, can take a few seconds to think of a less hateful response, then there is no reason the rest of the community can't. After all, the developers aren't making a game for them to play alone - they're making a game for the community.

It's a small step, but hopefully one of many towards making a much more supportive instead of hateful and entitled community. Thus, I present the first community building exercise!

Rules:
1) Do something to make the community a better place. This could be helping new players, bringing in new players, diffusing hate threads, creating lots of art or other MWO/Battletech related content, making training or tactics videos or anything else that helps the community.

2) Promote your work and share it, build positive energy around the game and get players enthusiastic about fixes and new content instead of making 10,000 posts about the same issue that the dev's have already addressed.

3)Post what you've done in this thread so everyone can see it (it's your first bit of promotion!).

4) At the end of the month I'll create a poll and let the community vote on who they think the best contributors are.

5) The top 5 contributors chosen by the community will be announced over Hyperpulse Radio PLUS get a set of these:

Posted Image

A set of laser cut acrylic dog tags with your Unit/Corps name, callsign, rank, and one other piece of information (non-offensive) of your choosing.

The categories are:

1) Community Built Content - Fan art, fan fiction, rules, models, etc. Note: This doesn't mean make a picture. It's not an art contest! An example of a proper submission would be guides, tutorials, a website that sorts and ranks house rules for the board game, etc)

2) Community Support - Be on the forefront of helping new and used players. Link them to existing information, answer new questions.

3) Community Contribution - Make something for the community as a whole - banners, badges, mech art, funny videos - things that the whole community is able to enjoy.

4) Community Expansion - Recruit! Bring new players into the game and bring back the old ones. Help make the experience enjoyable, even if the members are waiting for patch XX or feature YY to play again.

5) Community Experience - Be the person everyone loves to talk to! Diffuse hate threads and flame wars before they result in banning/locking/purging. Make friends instead of enemies.

Content EXAMPLE

Post example:

FAIL

Anyone who uses [insert weapon/mech] is a **** gobbling **** slurping [CENSORED] no-talent ****bag who's mother [CENSORED] [CENSORED] [CENSORED] [CENSORED] [CENSORED]!!!11!!11!

WIN

Here is a video on how to use [insert mech/weapon] more effectively:

<Really Cool Video!>

The [insert hated mech/weapon] has a number of drawbacks, and you'll be a better pilot and asset if you can master a broader range of weapons.

In closing:

Yes, there are problems with the game. It's not perfect, and I have my own concerns. But how we represent these concerns will change how PGI addresses the concerns. It costs you nothing to maintain a civil attitude and rely the information in a positive and constructive manner. It's frustrating, I know it is. But I promise you that the frustration from losing a match worth of cbills is nothing compared to the frustration of trying to find and fix the bug that causes it.

I understand that non-programmers can't appreciate the dozens of hours it can take to find and fix a seemingly simple bug, but I assure you, it can be extremely aggravating. Looking at the same lines that look perfectly fine and knowing the answer is right in front of you... yeah, it's agonizing. It does not help when people bulldoze hundreds of posts announcing the same problem and demanding an immediate fix.

Anyway, good luck and lets try to make this place better for a change :).

============================================================

Here is a list of current contenders. If I miss you, please let me know and give me a link or two that you're proud of. Sorry if I've missed anyone, I'm trying to get everything organized so everyone is able to track it - just let me know who/what I've missed!

Community Built Content

Community Support
Taryys - Guides and New User Support (link)
Reshift2k5 - Patch guides, new player guides, and hints/tips (link) (link)

Community Contribution
AV 4 T 4 R - MWO Soundtrack Project
Thomas Covenant - First Community Awards
Heffay - http://mwomercs.com/...ing-pgis-mechs/

Community Expansion

Community Experience

Nominated Contenders (they need to opt in):

Community Built Content
Paul BlackJack Cady - GIMP Tutorials

Community Support
Cybermech - Beta Guides
Krivvan - Player Support and Guides
Relic1701 - Training New Players
TriggerHippy
Deablos
MagicM0E
Panthura
PHeydra Sagan
OhmWrecker - Quick Reference Guides
Helmer

Community Contribution
Stalkerr - Violent Combat Robot Show
WEEBZ - Forum Signatures
Seth - MWO Wiki
ARMD - http://www.youtube.c...d&v=nruX4kJpnIw

Community Expansion

Community Experience

============================================================

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of PGI or IGP and I do not represent them, their beliefs, and/or work ethic or vice versa. This is a community run event that I started on a lark and is no way endorsed or sponsored by PGI or IGP and by participating, you agree to hold them harmless for physical, mental, or emotional distress.

Prizes will be sent via USPS to your address of choice and I cannot guarantee their arrival or that US Customs will approve their export outside of the US. If you live in a country ruled by a ruthless dictator who thinks contests and prizes are the work of the devil, you probably shouldn't participate.

Odds of winning depend on how many people get off their lazy duffs and help.

And voting is complete! Congrats to OhmWrecker, Weebz, and Paul BlackJack Caddy! That concludes this contest ;).

Edited by S3dition, 08 January 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#2 Quirouleboule

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:51 AM

You give me back hope in humanity!

#3 Zanathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:25 AM

View PostS3dition, on 03 December 2012 - 03:04 AM, said:

If you live in a country ruled by a ruthless dictator who thinks contests and prizes are the work of the devil, you probably shouldn't participate.

Damn ... there goes my chance.

In all seriousness, this is fantastic.

#4 potatoparrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 210 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

Well, you have my full support with your goal. Hopefully more than five people will do anything.

I'd do something, but I don't particularly have the time or really the desire to do anything right now. At least I'm honest. If I get motivated then I'll see if this actually goes through as a thing, though by then it's likely the "contest" will have concluded.

#5 Relic1701

• 1,197 posts
  • LocationDying at the end of your cheese build!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:39 AM

Do David Cameron & Nick Clegg count as ruthless dictators? :)

Edited by Relic1701, 03 December 2012 - 04:39 AM.

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

Posted Image

#7 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

View PostQuirouleboule, on 03 December 2012 - 03:51 AM, said:

You give me back hope in humanity!

I'd settle for faith in the game and community :)

View PostZanathan, on 03 December 2012 - 04:25 AM, said:

Damn ... there goes my chance.

In all seriousness, this is fantastic.

Thanks.

View PostJings, on 03 December 2012 - 04:33 AM, said:

Well, you have my full support with your goal. Hopefully more than five people will do anything.

I'd do something, but I don't particularly have the time or really the desire to do anything right now. At least I'm honest. If I get motivated then I'll see if this actually goes through as a thing, though by then it's likely the "contest" will have concluded.

It doesn't take much. Just being involved and staying positive. Ultimately, you win a great Mechwarrior game.

View PostRelic1701, on 03 December 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

Do David Cameron & Nick Clegg count as ruthless dictators? ;)

No clue who they are :huh:

View PostRedshift2k5, on 03 December 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

Weird picture

Thank you? :ph34r:

Edited by S3dition, 03 December 2012 - 05:14 AM.

#8 Seijin Dinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 259 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationEdmonds, WA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:14 AM

In a sea of negativity, this is a shining beacon of hope

#9 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

View PostSeijin Dinger, on 03 December 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

In a sea of negativity, this is a shining beacon of hope

But only if everyone helps, even in some small way :)

Added an example post.

#10 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:27 AM

View PostS3dition, on 03 December 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

Thank you? :)

Awestruck by the acrylic dog tags, displaying my reaction in the form of a meme. Welcome to the internet.

#11 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

Ah, okay :).

#12 Seijin Dinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 259 posts
  • LocationEdmonds, WA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:22 AM

Im gonna try and do something to better help with mech design, but its not something I can take credit for, Im putting other people's mechs into video tutorial

#13 Taryys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

[Guide] Playing with Friends, Groups, and Teams

How To Reduce The Grind And Create A Great New User Experience

Stop Hazing and Start Raising...

edit: just posted this: Ideas For A Robust Tutorial

Edited by Taryys, 07 December 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#14 Sears

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 973 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

Can we suggest other people too?

I mean there's all the people who help(ed) out in the education center itself on the TS3 servers past and present. Helping to teach new players before the training ground vids came along.

http://mwomercs.com/...ful-info-links/

Cybermech < created training videos and guides (most of which got swallowed by the closed beta merger)
Krivvan < Generally nice guy who posts a lot of responses, helps in the education when he can and also has many videos.
Pheydra Sagan < Everyone on TS knows who Pheydra is.
Relic1701< One of the nicest guys on TS, when education was busy he'd take teams of newbies into the field and show them controls ect.
Triggerhippy
Deablos
MagicM0E
Panthura
Myself< Try to stay positive on the forums, helped out in the education center, created the sigs and banners for the education center also.

There are others but this is just off the top of my head.

Also helped Konrad with the trial by fire tournament stuff, which is on hold until matchmaking returns to 8v8 http://mwomercs.com/...-your-feedback/
Which should be a great event once it kicks off.

#15 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

View PostSears, on 03 December 2012 - 06:50 AM, said:

Can we suggest other people too?

I mean there's all the people who help(ed) out in the education center itself on the TS3 servers past and present. Helping to teach new players before the training ground vids came along.

http://mwomercs.com/...ful-info-links/

Cybermech < created training videos and guides (most of which got swallowed by the closed beta merger)
Krivvan < Generally nice guy who posts a lot of responses, helps in the education when he can and also has many videos.
Pheydra Sagan < Everyone on TS knows who Pheydra is.
Relic1701< One of the nicest guys on TS, when education was busy he'd take teams of newbies into the field and show them controls ect.
Triggerhippy
Deablos
MagicM0E
Panthura
Myself< Try to stay positive on the forums, helped out in the education center, created the sigs and banners for the education center also.

There are others but this is just off the top of my head.

Also helped Konrad with the trial by fire tournament stuff, which is on hold until matchmaking returns to 8v8 http://mwomercs.com/...-your-feedback/
Which should be a great event once it kicks off.

Sure, but they have to opt in. I don't want them getting messages about winning a prize for a contest they never entered :)

#16 Taryys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

You could also turn add a poll to this thread. :)

#17 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

Be sure and reach out to all the NON-Forum based Community members. You know, those folks who play on the TS servers, those who don't and PUG games after game, and ultimately make for great games, all played with total strangers (with a voice or not).

Pull that off, and the Community will be better for it... :)

Good idea btw... :wub:

#18 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 03 December 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

Be sure and reach out to all the NON-Forum based Community members. You know, those folks who play on the TS servers, those who don't and PUG games after game, and ultimately make for great games, all played with total strangers (with a voice or not).

Pull that off, and the Community will be better for it... :)

Good idea btw... :wub:

Pre-mades use the forums quite extensively. As a matter of fact, I see more of them posting than people I haven't seen on TS ;)

#19 Dagger6T6

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

I fully support the message and spirit of this post... and those dogtags are quite cool!

#20 Sears

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 973 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

View PostS3dition, on 03 December 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

Sure, but they have to opt in. I don't want them getting messages about winning a prize for a contest they never entered :)

Some of the people who do deserve something like this I can imagine not coming forward.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users