10 replies to this topic

#1 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

Feedback on the latest patch; check.

It seems as if whatever you guys did, the animation in the game is reliably higher. I get about 5-15% more FPS and smoother animations in areas where the game chugs. Still issues where when you turn quickly the game stutters, but it was a step in the right direction.

On the other hand, your netcode is an abomination to gaming. Everyone warps. Especially lights. Nobody takes damage; this used to be an addage for lights, but now the game's netcode has regressed so that even stationary heavies don't take a lick of damage.

Whether it's your game not updating the HUD to show damage actually occurring (can't be this because enemies are taking ungodly amounts of damage), but as always, it's a 1 way street, where others who attack you don't seem to suffer a damn penalty at all.

Far and above, THE. MOST. SINGLE. FRUSTRATING. thing about this game is its god-awful netcode.

Keep at it PGI, I keep telling myself "We can only go up from here", but this last patch has put the kabosh on that mentality.

#2 Zearoth

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Well, I'm sure from here we can only go up! I would hope so. More than once have I shot at a 'Mech with my AC/20, watched it fly into them, and see that the hit didn't register. Once the netcode is improved and the memory leak issue is taken care of then this game will be much more playable.

#3 AC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

I am having this same issue. A wingman and I had an awesome backed against a cliff and it wasn't taking damage, then it rubber banded forward a few meters, then back a few meters, then forward a few meters. The warping and lag and rubber banding has gotten MUCH worse.

On the other hand, my FPS has increased slightly. I am getting a consistent 4 FPS more when the graphics cards are loaded than I was before.

#4 Battlefinger

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

We all know the netcode is pretty poor and has been since the first day of beta. But I'm starting to feel guilty calling PGI out on it now. Have you guys gone to PGI's website recently, and seen the positions they are hiring for? They are all network positions, which is like an acknowledgement on their part that they haven't done serious netcoding before and want help. So until someone who knows this stuff actually applies to them (networking being one of the areas I never really learned well), it's going to be a consistent problem.

#5 Niberung

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

OP is right - yesterday I could barely hit an Atlas that was passing me by about 200 meters away. And I was piloting a Swayback. Sure I have about 150ms latency, but I learned to compensate for that a long time ago.
Sometimes damage just does not register in a proper location - especially with Raven. You shoot him in the cockpit and hit parts of the torso instead. Even if it's just standing still. Even if you are standing still too!

#6 Dueliest

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

I have the turning lag also. Haven't noticed the rubber banding as much though. Also has anyone ever mentioned the fps drop when new mechs arrive at the beginning of the game?

#7 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

View PostDueliest, on 06 December 2012 - 12:08 AM, said:

I have the turning lag also. Haven't noticed the rubber banding as much though. Also has anyone ever mentioned the fps drop when new mechs arrive at the beginning of the game?

I come to expect rubber banding when Mechs collide with geometry like walls, buildings and Mechs; it causes that 'warp forward, backward, forward' animation until they finally navigate themselves out of the object.

View PostBattlefinger, on 05 December 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

We all know the netcode is pretty poor and has been since the first day of beta. But I'm starting to feel guilty calling PGI out on it now. Have you guys gone to PGI's website recently, and seen the positions they are hiring for? They are all network positions, which is like an acknowledgement on their part that they haven't done serious netcoding before and want help. So until someone who knows this stuff actually applies to them (networking being one of the areas I never really learned well), it's going to be a consistent problem.

Netcode is a game stopper, that's for sure. When you can't rely on what you see on screen (especially when it feels as if everyone else is hitting you fine, though I'm sure many have same issue on me), it makes it difficult to test other areas of the game.

PGI has stated they are aware of the problem and were taking it back "to the core", which can have a significant difference, but unless they have a way they can emulate latency on an in-house LAN network, they might be getting false positives locally, and then tons of issues when pushed out to their production environment.

I enjoy running 8 man; but you feel more than useless when you're constantly attacking things and not making any leeway. The only solace is knowing that their side may be going through the same thing.

#8 Banditman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

I am a rather dedicated PPC user, which gives me a very unique perspective on netcode.

Since the last patch, it's become more common for me to see a PPC "hit" (PPC bolt intersects target and explodes) transfer no damage to the target.

Since the past patch, it's become more common for me to see a PPC collision failure. (PPC bolt passes directly thru a target without exploding).

What's worse, with ECM, it is even *more* difficult than ever to tell!

ECM has, in my opinion, set the game back in regards to finding and fixing netcode issues because we now have no earthly idea when a shot actually does damage.

#9 Snib

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

After I was killed by an enemy Cataphract that I just couldn't seem to hit even at close range, I watched a team mate take it out. On my screen the killshot was shown 3 meters to the left of the stationary enemy mech. So I guess that's where I should have aimed. Whatever it is that is wrong with the netcode, at this point it's clearly more than latency issues, it seems like we're playing in a constant desync situation that never gets resynched.

#10 PiWright42

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

I upped my CPU for this game and had one night of glory, then the rubberbanding and warping started. It has progressively gotten worse to the point that I can hardly scathe a light mech because where I aim is not where they are. Sure you see them but they can warp to where they are actually at at any moment. Getting an actual hit is almost out of the question.

#11 Intikam

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

View PostBattlefinger, on 05 December 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

hm didnt know that... but still frustrating

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users