the "do-you-know-what-a-light-mech-is?"-Thread

56 replies to this topic

#21 Status Nyne

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

View PostCoheed, on 04 November 2011 - 04:59 PM, said:

Against pros, a light mech is a free kill.
Against noobs, a light mech is pain. And they don't even know where it's coming from :).

what if the pilot is epic....i remember you always got your *** kicked by that one guy and he only ever used the flee...

#22 Coheed

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

lol status and you had trouble walking past the wall. pharoah is pretty pro though

#23 Status Nyne

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

View PostCoheed, on 04 November 2011 - 05:08 PM, said:

lol status and you had trouble walking past the wall. pharoah is pretty pro though

THAT WALL WAS A F*CKING d*CK DUDE....

#24 Grafix TM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationWorld Traveler

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

Ahhh Fun times in a light mech slowly plucking away at your armor distracting you as his team mates close in for the kill :)

#25 theginganinja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 192 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

View PostGrafix™, on 04 November 2011 - 05:30 PM, said:

Ahhh Fun times in a light mech slowly plucking away at your armor distracting you as his team mates close in for the kill :)

The lights I prefer are more along the lines of blasting large chunks of your armor into oblivion and getting the job done before my teammates ever arrive. Adder and Solitaire FTW!

#26 alex kelll

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationKentares

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

light mechs are good at rapid attacks, fast recon, raids and skermishing. Good ones are the Raven, Puma, Kit fox, Commando, panther, flea and wolfhound.
Also they make good target practis,

#27 Mad Axe

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 14 posts
  • LocationThe Hammer, Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

If the InfoTech aspect of the game is handled well, they should be EXTREMELY useful and dangerous. Acting as scouts/spotters, making fast flanking attacks to bushwack missile boats, and picking off stragglers and damaged 'Mechs. I see them as being the 'Mech of choice for the really skilled players.

#28 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

JVN-10F or JVN-11D in a later setting... Bring it on!

#29 Beaker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationPreston, UK

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:45 AM

View PostCoheed, on 04 November 2011 - 04:59 PM, said:

Against pros, a light mech is a free kill.
Against noobs, a light mech is pain. And they don't even know where it's coming from :).

Depends on more factors than that! Against a "Pro" I used to be able to cause some serious headaches. I used lights from Vengeance onwards. In Mech4:V and Black Knight you could cause some serious headaches, in Mercs they became deadly in the right hands.

Raven, 1Clan Flamer, 1 Small Laser, 2xArty Beacons could unseat any other mech from a fixed position. Alternatively swap out the laser for an extra flamer, and bang another heatsink on there.

Wolfhound with 9ERSL or SL could cause some serious damage.

Uller with a Light Gauss or LBX (Mercs), or 2ISLL (Veng & BK) could be seriously irritating.

#30 Bianca Flowers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:32 AM

there are light mechs, and there are light mechs.

HUGE difference between a Ostscout, Wolfhound, and Panther.

#31 capt michael webster 1stg nzdl

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMagna, Utah (Salt Lake City)

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:11 AM

View PostAlizabeth Aijou, on 04 November 2011 - 11:25 AM, said:

Apparently, some people are unfamiliar with the Locust Test.
Its rare for an assault 'Mech to survive it.
Long story short, its four stock Locusts beating the **** out of a custom assault 'mech (or a canon one, for that matter).

You don't need four . . . I've seen a single Locust chase a Marauder off the board. It's a beautiful sight to behold.

#32 Bianca Flowers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:49 AM

I've seen a Mongoose kill an Ostroc, solo, without taking a scratch.

Back on the old BTech MUDs, we had a name for such pilots: "Suicide Recon Pilots" or SRP. They were F'in scary.

#33 zax

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:12 AM

In the MW games, a light mech is virtually a free kill to a good player. It's a simple fact that mechs are simply not agile enough to avoid the crosshairs of players who have been raised on twitch FPS games, where among pro players, head shots are common and aim time is measured in milliseconds.

Most players over-estimate their own skill level, so when they find that they cannot easily kill a light mech pilot before that pilot can even hit them they assume that a good light mech pilot can defeat a heavy/assault class. It's simply not true.

#34 Beaker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationPreston, UK

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

View Postzax, on 05 November 2011 - 08:12 AM, said:

In the MW games, a light mech is virtually a free kill to a good player. It's a simple fact that mechs are simply not agile enough to avoid the crosshairs of players who have been raised on twitch FPS games, where among pro players, head shots are common and aim time is measured in milliseconds.

Except MW 3 and 4 haven't been twitch games, and regardless of what FPS you've grown up on, there is a world of difference between fragging someone in UT, and trying to hit a mech at 750m while it shoots along at 100ph+ while constantly varying it's path.

Most players over-estimate their own skill level, so when they find that they cannot easily kill a light mech pilot before that pilot can even hit them they assume that a good light mech pilot can defeat a heavy/assault class. It's simply not true.

I've been beaten hollow by MANY pilots of varying skill levels. I was a Good light pilot in MW4, and when someone constantly beat the pants off me I'd spend time learning how they did it. Good light mech users don't dump a load of machine guns on a flea, and grief people. If I was running a wolfie or Uller in MW4 I'd run around after the fleas, because you know, hunting light mechs is actually damned hard, unless you're also in a light mech.

#35 Souske Sagara

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationParkland, WA

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:08 AM

Light mechs are what I kill with. I could take heavier, but four m.Las and an SRM4 to the rear armor is my answer to anything. Scout/harrier FTW

#36 VictoryRoad

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

Using a light mech in MW4 was easy. Best way to kill bigger mechs was to use rolling hills as cover and pop up and shoot then back down. Once close, best be on a hill with the target, go up and down and a round. Most players in bigger mechs had issues with using their cross hairs when they had to move them up or down. To many people get used to only moving them left and right. Many times I've taken a Bigger mech out before the rest of the unit brought the rain down.

#37 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

Light mechs are awesome when they outd1ck big ones like atlas or warhammer when they try to hit him

they are fast, impressive and they can destroy big ones without problem

Edited by Deathscream, 06 November 2011 - 10:09 AM.

#38 Sheogorath

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

View PostDeathscream, on 06 November 2011 - 09:55 AM, said:

Light mech are awesome when they outd1ck big ones like atlas or warhammer when they try to hit him

Unless its an urbanmach.

#39 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

View PostSheogorath, on 06 November 2011 - 09:59 AM, said:

Unless its an urbanmach.

this too

#40 feor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

Given what we know about the game (largely urban enviroments, efforts taken to equalize lights & assualts, etc) the Urbanmech might end up actually being a respectable ride in this game. The key factor will be if the bit from the trailer with the Jenner going through the weakened building actually makes it into the physicals engine. The Urbie's big advantage was always that it could hop across the rooftops (which would collapse under bigger loads) while the heavies and assaults plod down the streets, then drop into a mech's rear arch in a road too narrow for it to turn around and put an AC-10 round (or with the -60L an AC/20 round) into the things rear armour before hopping back up and vanishing into the urban jungle.

As to "what's a light mech" that depends on who you ask. To a Davion it's a Stinger or a Valkyrie, to a Drac it's a Panther or Jenner, to a Cappy it's an Urbie, to a Marik it's a Mercury or Hermes, to a Steiner it's a Zeus. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users