44 replies to this topic

#1 GhostPenalty

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 8 posts
  • LocationIone, CA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

This may be a random topic. In any case, I would like to ask a few questions: What was the first Battlemechs you ever used? Did you win or did you get destroyed? When did you here about Battletech?

This is my first post on here so I kinda want to get to know some of you so I can post even more interesting topics and comment on your topics as well.

#2 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

my friend bought a boxset when it first came out. he used to hang out in the local gameshop (closed 20 years ago) we setup an old train table and used a ruler to measure LOS and distance. our group of friends played that way till we split up for college in 1992

Edited by Geist Null, 14 May 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#3 Verminaard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQc, Canada

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

My first mech ever was Nova, playing mechwarrior 2 campaign. I was young back then, but did rather well. Once i figured out the game i got much better.

That was my first experience with battletech, my dad introduced it to me. Back when he still knew how to use/build computers, at this point i've taken over that job/role.

So far I've played: Mechwarrior 2 +xpacks, Mechwarrior 4 +xpacks, Mechassault 1/2 (it was bad... I cried over the lore and arcade shooter it became, and the fact my friends say "mechwarrior? is that like mechassault or worse? Then i die a little inside). Also played mechcommander 1-2 and have tried tabletop battletech, but havn't played it much.

So yes, i know a good chunk of the series/lore. (yes I played mechwarrior 3, but I couldn't get my controls working right so didn't play it much).

Edited by Verminaard, 14 May 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#4 Vandul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

My first foray into the universe was in the venerable Wasp. My friend piloted a Stinger. The game lasted about 3 hours as we maneuvered, figured out the rules, and drank beer. It was gaming bliss on a tabletop.

#5 WraithTR1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

First TT match I did was a Wasp 1A armed with infernos vs. a Locust 1V. I had picked inferno rounds as I thought I would have no problem overheating the Locust. Until I realized infernos don't add enough heat to cause a problem with the Locust. My buddy ran circles around me nailing me with the MG's constantly while I vainly spun in circles trying to hit him.

#6 Arikiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

It was some time around 1991. My cousin's friend had the box set and he got us to play a three-way battle. We were allowed to select any Mech from the Heavy category in the old 3025 Technical Readout. They of course both went straight for Marauders. I wanted to be different so I was checking out the Warhammer, Grasshopper, and Orion. Finally I settled on the Grasshopper. The battle was intense. In the end I was forced to eject. Rather then let me be they both decided to waste a PPC shot on my ejecting pilot. We figured they'd have a minimal chance of hitting on double 6s. So of course they both somehow managed to roll double 6s. I was vaporized by two PPC shots coming from either direction at the same time. :rolleyes:

#7 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

I played my first MW2 match when I was five, using a Marauder IIC against a Summoner and a Nova. I won, but only because my dad commanded my 100 ton AI buddies to smear 'em for me :rolleyes: Always hated how the enemy Nova bots could sidestep anything with those directional JJs.

#8 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

Shadow Cat... MW 4 tutorial. :rolleyes:

And then Uller in MW 4: Mercenaries.

I sucked for the first time, because I had to get used to mouse/keyboard. Now with Uller, that was a completely different thing. :lol:

#9 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

TT initial training: Nova vs Atlas (the Atlas was a punching bag for the training, the Nova was there to teach about heat)
TT first battle: 2 Timber Wolves vs 2 Timber Wolves

First MW battle: MW2, Mad Dog in the first Clan Wolf mission.

#10 blindfireak40

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

I played in a PBEM role-playing game for a year or two, and during that time I was using a PTR-4D Penetrator...it was great fun, and I miss it a lot.

#11 Applefett

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

My first 'Mech that I ever used was Bushwacker. I also used Diashi and Madcat in my first battles.

#12 Whirlwind

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

My first Mech was a Phoenix Hawk, from the second edition box set. I played with some of my Marine buddies.

#13 Baywolf

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

For me, it had to of been a Jenner or a Locust from the first Mechwarrior in like 1990. Loved that game! I remember being able to take out Battlemasters at the legs with the locust because it was so much faster.

Oops this is about the table top game. I was talking about the computer game.

#14 Aiden2160

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

My first battle was in a Locust with the second edition box game. Was great fun. Still have a lance of mechs on my desk for nostalgia.

#15 Storm McIntyre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

My first battle was in a PHX-1 Pheonix Hawk. I was in a lance with my friends who were piloting a Warhammer, Rifleman, and Marauder. We were assigned to attack a city on the Planet Old Kentucky, which was at that time in Liao space. We were mercenaries in the employ of House Davion. We battled our way through a series of bunkers, infantry and tanks to engage in a city fight with an enemy lance consisting of a Battlemaster, Archer, Griffin, and Locust. I was the scout and tripped the trap that had been laid by the enemy lance. It was an all out slugfest. At the end of the battle, the Warhammer had lost its medium lasers and machine guns, the Marauder had a crippled engine and its right leg was a tangled mess, the Rifleman had gyro and engine damage, and my Pheonix Hawk had some internal damage and not enough armor left on its frame to cover a bed. The city was a hopeless wreck as the fighting had leveled entire blocks. My mechwarrior was hurt, bleeding, and I honestly hadn't had so much fun in my entire life. :D

#16 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 492 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

My first real battle that wasn't training was with a Crusader and Battlemaster against a Marauder and a Warhammer. I walked away from it, in my Crusader, and began my love affair with the mech for the next 20 years...

#17 JHare

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

First experience to Battleech. I was in a Best Buy playing one of the demo games, running around as a mech and shooting everything. I went and got the copy off the shelf and got my dad to buy it (I was like... 7). Turns out I had been playing the armored core demo and bought Mechwarrior 2.

I was mad at first and after about 2 hours of MW2 i never looked back. Screw armored core.

First TT match was one of the training matches from 4th edition. It was a Hunchback and some fragile light against an Enforcer and a Hermes II.

#18 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:56 AM

Hm known to Battletech via two books of my older brother (i was about 12)
Did lot of childish artwork...
A long time doesn't happen anything. I bought some books (3-4 years later) - with some friends we tried to create a self made board game that sucked...but it was fun - two months later I bought MechWarrior 2 and became a true born warrior of JF...
MW 2 GL, MW2 Mercs followed. At the same time with MW3 i got 4th Ed. Box in my hands.

So my first real TT battle was a self made Dragon IIC vs the Nova of a friend. While playing Quick-Start rules and no heat the Nova Prime almost killing my Dragon...won with a maneuver that became one of my hallmarks :D at the brink of destruction 180° degree turn and show them your back...well there i had another array of laser...crippling the last internal structure of the Nova.

#19 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:05 AM

It was a TT game. I piloted a Warhammer... we used a coffee can to represent our Union class dropship. I barely got to the foot of the ramp when I took two gauss slugs in the side torso from two Yellowjacket gunships. They touched off the SRM ammo and I ejected to have my pilot go splat against the dropship's dull like a bug.

In retrospect I think that that mini was cursed or something... Whoever used it always died within the first two rounds of combat, either by epic head shots or freak criticals...

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 17 May 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#20 BrokenDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMiddlesex(UK)

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:11 AM

First mech was a Shadow Hawk.
Head shot and pilot killed in opening shot.
Took some explaining to my oponent that he'd won and let's try again.
He just could not believe that it could be over so quickly.
One of my shortest TT games ever. Did not put me off for a moment.
Our following game took about 2hrs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users