Your First Battle..

44 replies to this topic

#21 Darius Bloodblayde

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC CANADA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:38 AM

If I remember correctly (prolly 25 yrs ago or so) my first mech I piloted, was the Fire Ant, you know the light scout mech with JJ's a couple MG's and a Flamethrower If I remember (or was it small lasers).....Anyways I was such a non-threat to our opposing lance, no one even bothered to attack me, so I employed hit and run tactics and assisted in destroying our opponents (and/or overheating them w/flamethrower).....I do think near the end of the battle the Atlas that was part of our enemies lance took a shot and me, and one shot me.....LOL!!

#22 beloc rosnak

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationillnois

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:46 AM

bought the original board game while in military when it came out. played a friend in an all day battle. he thought he was toughest by commanding a spider, warhammer and an awesome, while i was commanding a stalker and a battlemaster. after a few rounds of tag and hide and seek i prevailed and proceeded to capture his base til he got mad and nuked the base. damn those were good times. i got a feeling alot of fun is in-store in this game

#23 Wraith01

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMelton Mowbray

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:08 AM

first i ever heard about BT was when i ignorantly bought MW3 and played it to death. So first mech was a bushwacker. Role on to MW4.
Learned how to move and shoot in that game using medium mechs. currently trying unsucessfully to download MTX MW4 so i can get a bit of practice in. Grrrr.
Never even knew about the board game until 1999, so i appologise up front there. and for my punishement I paint Warhammer characters for my son who plays every weekend.

#24 Alexander Thomssen

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon, CA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

1985....running a Thunderbolt at a small convention against the original FASA crew. Stepped off of a cliff onto a stinger and squished it, only to be killed by a PPC head shot from his Warhammer teammate.

Good times....good times...

#25 COL Chuck U Farley

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationWorldwide

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

First 'official' game we ever played [after looking over how to create characters for role-playing MechWarrior] was in '88 - this is the battle record in the Fed Suns archive. Full story is also available.

"Ft. Hope, Kennard-3025: LT Chuck U. Farley was driving the "Laser *****", a modified Jenner, on patrol with his lance on the western edge of the base perimeter. His lance was the newest addition to Lindon's Company, a Davion loyal merc unit. All of the training he had received in his two accelerated years at the N.A.I.S. came into play when House Kurita performed a combat drop and attacked the base. The attack seemed strange from the beginning. It was almost too easy, the Kuritains didn't appear to be trying very hard. Then, without warning, traitors within the ranks of Lindon's Company turned, killed Colonel Lindon in his Battlemaster, and made a break for their dragon lovin' friends. LT Farley quickly maneuvered his lance into a hasty horseshoe that the traitors would have to run through to get to the Kuritain ships. It was a turkey shoot. Even though some of them got away, including their leader, CPT Dane Morgan, they payed dearly. (May they burn in their cockpits wherever they are!)"

#26 GhostPenalty

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 8 posts
  • LocationIone, CA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

Last year was my first battle... and i had the Archer from the original board game my dad had... I won but that was because I figured that the Archer would be good at distance HAHA it was a 3 way battle between my dad, my brother and myself. I have to say tho, Battletech itself is very impressive... especially learning more about its universe..pretty freaking awesome! :unsure:

#27 MCAS

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

First got introduced to BT via Mechwarrior 4. First mech I used was a Warhawk.

First TT game though was many year later and I had a Charger-1A5 in a 4 on 4 assault mech battle. This started my love of the Charger, especially when I got the enemies Atlas with my AC20.

#28 Joe Davion 86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCLT-NC

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

my first TT battle was 16ish years ago when my cousin tried to introduce me to it. He bent the rules in his favor lol. But I'm back into it on the PC via the mekwarsnet program. It uses megamek to host a variety of "campaigns" so you can play against fellow TTers. If you get it look for DirtNap[FS] cuz thats me.
My current lance is a WVR-5R, a PHX-1 and 1D, and a Rifleman for fire support. My last match saw my battered Wolverine core an enemy TBT from the ground after an enemy Vindicator took a leg off. Also high note of the match my PHX-1D DFAing a 2nd Vindicator and Immobilizing it with a gyro hit. It didn't help that the Vindicator fell from height after the DFA. I won the match and cannot wait to play more.

#29 Quentin Yatoki

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 182 posts
  • LocationThe region of Mountain Pears in the land of the Rising Sun.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

First came into the series via Mechcommander2. First real TT game I had a lance of a Archer, Crusader, Phoenix Hawk, and a Stinger. Probably explains my love of Unseen mechs, SRMs and LRMs.

#30 Fergle Fergleson

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:10 PM

My first TT game would have been back circa 1985. A friend of mine in class had a copy of Aerotech and he let me borrow it for the night (I'd never even heard of the BTech universe before). I had only the core book, so I was just drawing marks on a blank hex sheet I had from D&D. For extra fun I *might* not have read *all* of the rules before just jumping in and trying things out. Didn't miss much...just little things... like that you could only fire a weapon once-per-round. IIRC most of the deaths from that first solo game were from fighters overheating and exploding. B)

#31 YoBadMama

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

My cousin and I played, we each had only one Wasp, and we got within firing range and just kept firing all of our guns at eachother. Yeah, it.....it kinda sucked. (Not the game, the match ;))

#32 Varn

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

I bought the 2nd Edition Classic Battletech as a teen and got some of my Warhammer friends to play. Had a great time learning the rules then discovered they had advanced rules! Spark was set. It's been years since I've played, but now I'm sitting on two Battalions of mechs that I'm repainting and getting back into the game. The thing I first loved about this is game is the stat sheet (stat nerd) and the relative ease of combining all of the advanced rules slowly to get new players used to the game. Not too many other systems do this anymore and they just dumb the rules down to the common demonator. I like the option of playing easy with new players and cranking it up with the vets.

#33 JazzySteel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 304 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationthe crater that used to be Black Mesa, dipping the last Oreo into the last glass of milk.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

MW4, my brother had stepped away from the computer for a drink, I was 10 I believe. It was an Uziel and I rammed the nearest enemy mech and unloaded on it at point blank and got myself in trouble with my big brother, lol.

I've gotten better since then, and recently bought the box set to play with my buddies.

#34 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

My uncle had gaming nights on a gigantic table in his garage and my cousin and I use to watch him and his friends drink beer and play different games. The first game we got to play was BattleTroops on a little paper map which was disappointing because we wanted to play on the big table. When he finally taught us BattleTech he let us each control one 'Mech - my first 'Mech was an Enforcer. I ran out of ammo with the AC/10 and ended up getting killed way late in the game (lasted much longer than my cousin who I think was soured on the experience and never played again).

#35 Elgatoloco

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationWasaga Beach, Ontario

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

My first battle was in a Battlemaster back in '89. Just got to my Armour Regiment and some of the boys showed me this game. So we all saddled up to the tables, lugged out our beer coolers, pulled out our pencils and blank 'Mech sheets. At that time you filled in the 'Mech sheets manually. Photocopiers were not common. When the battle was done I had a great buzz from the beer and a grin from ear to ear. The love of the game started there and has never ended. To this day no matter where I am posted I go seek the rare breed of Battletech Players. Sometimes it is hard to find them but no matter what I always succeed in finding them.

If you live in the Barrie Ontario area we play every Thursday evenings at the Gamer's Lair on Mapleview.

#36 Daetrin Voltari

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

First Battledroids game was a demo at my FLGS in late '84. I think I piloted a Wasp.

First BattleTech game was on my birthday in '85. I had just bought the boxed set after a year of anticipation. If I remember right I was in a Crusader and I made my little brother pilot a Marauder. I was so in love with the Armored Veritech from robotech that I wanted to pilot it no matter what and made my brother be the Zentraedi Officer. I think I even called him Khyron. Of course the joke was on me. A few turns in he managed to punch through my torso and light off my remaining ammo. I remember it because I sulked for the rest of the night.

Oh, the poor, bruised ego of a nine year old. :)

#37 ragnarawk

• PipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 55 posts
  • Locationnorth east tennessee

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

my first game was 1990 or so. i think been a while. anyway i was in a shadowhawk because i had read decision at thunder rift and he seemed to walk over almost everything he came into contact with with his ac5. anyway my friend set up across the table with a griffin and thats when i found out what a PPC could really do. cored my mech in 2 or 3 shots to my center torso. honestly dont think ive looked at my shadowhawk since lol.

#38 Vermaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

I think the very first thing I did was a pair of Urbies. One pilot had better stats, one was some nub in a gurnsey cow painted Urban. If I recall correctly I accidentally blew up an HPG shooting at an enemy, and then I got shot in the head and fell off a 3 or 4 story building. I think the cow mech did better than my prime.

Edited by Vermaxx, 05 June 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#39 Zyzyx66

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 108 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

Recently started with the new Intro Box Set. First battle (excluding quick start rules) was between my Enforcer and Whitworth, against a Hunchback and Hermes.

The Hunchie's AC/20 would have scared my pants off, if it had have hit more than once in the entire match :( The Whitworth proved itself fairly useless as it crawled around the forest missing everything until it met an untimely end. The Hermes didn't fare much better after a good shot from the Enforcer's AC/10 blew it's ammo payload, leaving nothing but a (very) large crater.

In the end, the prone Hunchback lay underneath the legless Enforcer next to it, neither with any armour left, both firing madly at each other, until the Enforcer finally put the Hunchie down.

Fun! Can't wait for my first full lance match :o

Edited by Zyzyx66, 05 June 2012 - 09:38 PM.

#40 Telemonian Ajax

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 38 posts
  • LocationPST

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

Wow, I'm not sure I can remember that far back, but I think I was in a Shadow Hawk cause it looked sooo good on the cover of the rule book. This was back in like 1989, I cringe a little when I here peoples first mechs were anything clan or newtech. They missed the joy and beauty of the 3025 tech level that will always be favored in my heart.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users