Crits And You - A Brief Guide

Guide

219 replies to this topic

#61 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

I added a new section under the initial quotes to help track the progress on the revised Critical system. Crit values are being tuned, and the HP value of items are going to be reevaluated/adjusted. Some items/weapons may get stronger while others get weaker. When these occur I'll try and update as much as possible, but I don't know if I'll be busy or have to do some additional math. We'll see!

#62 Aleric

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 76 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

View PostSelfish, on 25 January 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

Are you using an XL engine?

Nope I have a 285 STD Engine. I just finished 4 matches, twice I lost all my weapons when I was hit ONCE in the torso where all my ammo is stored. I was basically a walking set of legs after that. I hadnt been hit there before and like I said I have full armor on my mech with a CASE. Its getting to be when I go into 4 matches I lose two because I am either center torso killed or I have a massive hit that destroys all my weapons which has to be an ammo detonation. Its making me want to stop playing until they fix this, I mean what is the use of mounting non energy weapons when you are basically carrying a suicide vest.

#63 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:54 AM

View PostAleric, on 02 February 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

Nope I have a 285 STD Engine. I just finished 4 matches, twice I lost all my weapons when I was hit ONCE in the torso where all my ammo is stored. I was basically a walking set of legs after that. I hadnt been hit there before and like I said I have full armor on my mech with a CASE. Its getting to be when I go into 4 matches I lose two because I am either center torso killed or I have a massive hit that destroys all my weapons which has to be an ammo detonation. Its making me want to stop playing until they fix this, I mean what is the use of mounting non energy weapons when you are basically carrying a suicide vest.

I'm not really a troubleshooter, but color me intrigued. Do you have access to a free video capture program? You can pick up a trial version of bandicam fairly simply, and it isn't incredibly taxing on system resources. If you can capture the event on film it might be more understandable. Ammo cookoffs generally 'pulse' throughout the components they're cooking/transferring in, and it can take a couple seconds for an ammo cookoff from the leg to reach the CT.

If anything, I'd recommend moving the ammo from your center torso to elsewhere. Your legs or arms are safer places in the Cataphract given how small they are in comparison to the torso. Do you know what was hitting you? If it was a boomcat (A-1 Catapult with a mix of, or all, SRM4/6's), they can easily rip out your entire torso on a good shot.

#64 Aleric

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 76 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

View PostSelfish, on 03 February 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

I'm not really a troubleshooter, but color me intrigued. Do you have access to a free video capture program? You can pick up a trial version of bandicam fairly simply, and it isn't incredibly taxing on system resources. If you can capture the event on film it might be more understandable. Ammo cookoffs generally 'pulse' throughout the components they're cooking/transferring in, and it can take a couple seconds for an ammo cookoff from the leg to reach the CT.

If anything, I'd recommend moving the ammo from your center torso to elsewhere. Your legs or arms are safer places in the Cataphract given how small they are in comparison to the torso. Do you know what was hitting you? If it was a boomcat (A-1 Catapult with a mix of, or all, SRM4/6's), they can easily rip out your entire torso on a good shot.

I will try that and see if I can get it to capture.

I cant change the location of the Ammo, my Right and Left Torso are the only places with space after the upgrade to Ferrous Fiber Armor and Endo. I took out 1 ton of AC/10 ammo and went with another Medium Pulse Laser.

Each time I have been hit it has been a Projectile Weapon since the detonation is right after one possibly two shots with ALL the rest of my Armor intact. I may not be the best player out there but I know how to use cover and even have an AMS system active. If I was rushing out into the open and being Focused fire it wouldnt be a surprise but this is differnt, it is the start of a fight, I get hit and either have a one shot kill or lose most of my weapons.

#65 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

View PostAleric, on 04 February 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

I will try that and see if I can get it to capture.

I cant change the location of the Ammo, my Right and Left Torso are the only places with space after the upgrade to Ferrous Fiber Armor and Endo. I took out 1 ton of AC/10 ammo and went with another Medium Pulse Laser.

Each time I have been hit it has been a Projectile Weapon since the detonation is right after one possibly two shots with ALL the rest of my Armor intact. I may not be the best player out there but I know how to use cover and even have an AMS system active. If I was rushing out into the open and being Focused fire it wouldnt be a surprise but this is differnt, it is the start of a fight, I get hit and either have a one shot kill or lose most of my weapons.

Can you recreate your build on Smurfys as well?

Quick update. The newest patch has REDUCED the item HP of Guardian ECM to 3. It is now as fragile as a Gauss Rifle, but it doesn't explode. Hide it well, ladies and gents. This may also increase the viability of weapons 15 HP and above, as most players hide their ECM in their CT. The faster you can eat through that engine the better chance you have of scoring crits on the ECM.

#66 Aleric

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 76 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Here we go.

<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=41&l=f25eeb726578e61efc9947efdf8655c38c48478b">CTF-1X</a>

#67 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostAleric, on 07 February 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

Here we go.

<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=41&l=f25eeb726578e61efc9947efdf8655c38c48478b">CTF-1X</a>

Is that it exactly? I don't see any armor on your CT.

#68 Aleric

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 76 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

I have full armor on my mech. 68 points in CT

I am basically done with this for a while. I am tired of being cored from long distances by one or two shots. I just dont understand how I can center shoot mechs multiple times with ER PPC and AC/10 and never get thru their armor and they can hit me twice and all my armor is gone even in close range.

Hell I spent MC on swapping exp to gxp so I could get a module and upgrade to enhanced zoom and for that I get a blurry grainy pic that is not worth the MC let alone script I spent on it. I am tired of spending money and time on a game that gives you no way to set your weapon groupings until you are in game and then you have to hurry up and do it while the group is walking away. Nor can you practice with weapons except under fire and that is not optimal. Understand it is a beta but this is basic and should have been the first thing released with Beta.

#69 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

A question about ammo explosion:

Does it only happen when your ammo gets hit for 10 points or does it also happen when you lose the section of the 'Mech where the ammo is stored in? So if my leg falls off, does the ammo in there always explode transferring the damage to side torso?

Oh, and another question: If the side torso cannot soak all the damage caused by ammo exploding in a leg, does the damage continue transferring to center torso?

#70 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

View Postarghmace, on 15 February 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

A question about ammo explosion:

Does it only happen when your ammo gets hit for 10 points or does it also happen when you lose the section of the 'Mech where the ammo is stored in? So if my leg falls off, does the ammo in there always explode transferring the damage to side torso?

Oh, and another question: If the side torso cannot soak all the damage caused by ammo exploding in a leg, does the damage continue transferring to center torso?

Ammo explosions only happen when the ammo takes ten damage. Something I'm not sure about, and wasn't answered in the Ask the Devs is what happens to overlapping amounts of damage in components. So if you shoot a leg that had 9 HP with a 10 damage shot, do you still get a crit roll at 10 damage? I think that actually does happen, but it's conjecture until confirmation.

End result to the question: If your leg is blown off before your ammo gets critted, you're safe. The ammo won't cook off. If your ammo gets critted on the last shot, it's possible you're going to have a bad day :)

You're correct on damage transfer. Damage will continue to transfer inwards through internal HP until its full amount has been expended. It's important to note that ammo explosions ignore armor. The damage only eats through internal HP, so you can be cored with full armor on your CT this way.

C.A.S.E. will prevent damage from transferring to your Center Torso. So if you got ammo critted in the leg for a large amount of damage it would take your leg, your side torso, and then any remaining damage that would have been transferred to your CT will be ignored. This is only useful for STD engine builds, since losing a side torso kills you with an XL.

Edited by Selfish, 15 February 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#71 ElLocoMarko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostAleric, on 10 February 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

I have full armor on my mech. 68 points in CT

I am basically done with this for a while. I am tired of being cored from long distances by one or two shots. I just dont understand how I can center shoot mechs multiple times with ER PPC and AC/10 and never get thru their armor and they can hit me twice and all my armor is gone even in close range.

Hell I spent MC on swapping exp to gxp so I could get a module and upgrade to enhanced zoom and for that I get a blurry grainy pic that is not worth the MC let alone script I spent on it. I am tired of spending money and time on a game that gives you no way to set your weapon groupings until you are in game and then you have to hurry up and do it while the group is walking away. Nor can you practice with weapons except under fire and that is not optimal. Understand it is a beta but this is basic and should have been the first thing released with Beta.

If you can put that mech back together the new death screen could provide significant clues.
You can run the free version of FRAPS and take screenshots.

#72 icervoid

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

if xl engine is equiped and left or right torso are destroyed then that section of xl engine from torso is destroyed and thru this all engine is destroyed ?

#73 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

View Posticervoid, on 15 February 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

if xl engine is equiped and left or right torso are destroyed then that section of xl engine from torso is destroyed and thru this all engine is destroyed ?

Yes. Component destruction is currently the only way to kill someone via engine. If your engine is just critically destroyed you will not die or suffer any ill effects.

Edited by Selfish, 15 February 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#74 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:33 AM

Thanks for answers, Selfish!

Another thing came to mind, though :)

A friend of mine claimed that destroyed components soak damage. Let's say a Mech has lost its left torso and arm. There's still some molten metal debris hanging about in there. I heard that this debris would soak a certain percentage so if you shoot at the destroyed left torso, full damage wouldn't be applied to center torso. Any truth to this?

#75 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

View Postarghmace, on 16 February 2013 - 04:33 AM, said:

Thanks for answers, Selfish!

Another thing came to mind, though :)

A friend of mine claimed that destroyed components soak damage. Let's say a Mech has lost its left torso and arm. There's still some molten metal debris hanging about in there. I heard that this debris would soak a certain percentage so if you shoot at the destroyed left torso, full damage wouldn't be applied to center torso. Any truth to this?

I know there's a bug with the way damage application/transfer is interacting with bounding boxes and rear armor, so yes there is currently some form of damage mitigation. It's not supposed to be there, but it is until the next big patch or until they manage to swat it. I haven't heard of any intentional form of damage mitigation this way, but that doesn't mean that I'm just not fully informed on the matter :D

#76 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

ok, thanks for info, mate :)

#77 Aleric

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 76 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostElLocoMarko, on 15 February 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

If you can put that mech back together the new death screen could provide significant clues.
You can run the free version of FRAPS and take screenshots.

Not sure what you mean "put that mech back together"?

#78 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

View PostAleric, on 16 February 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Not sure what you mean "put that mech back together"?

I'm not sure what he means, but the second bit is sound. The game tells you how you died and a short script on what was last recorded hitting you. Screenshots of your mech's death screen when the problem occurs could be helpful.

#79 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

Huh, why is this unstickied? What did I miss?

#80 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 18 February 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

Huh, why is this unstickied? What did I miss?

It would appear all guides have been unstickied. I'm not sure why.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users