219 replies to this topic

#201 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

I had a related question with respect to Heat Sinks in the engine... particularly an XL.

It is understood that the XL engine extends into both side torsos and I believe they share the health of the engine (10 HP) when doing the crits.

Do heatsinks added to an XL engine work the same on the side torsos (for additional protection with crits) or is it just limited to the CT?

#202 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:49 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 April 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

I had a related question with respect to Heat Sinks in the engine... particularly an XL.

It is understood that the XL engine extends into both side torsos and I believe they share the health of the engine (10 HP) when doing the crits.

Do heatsinks added to an XL engine work the same on the side torsos (for additional protection with crits) or is it just limited to the CT?

The engine has 15 HP. It's written right there, in the itemstats.xml.

I believe the additional heatsinks are in the center torso. I don't remember having a heatsink destroyed without loosing the CT armor first. It would be very easy to test this using a private match. Just drop in a mech without a ST armor, a huge XL engine and lots of internal DHS. Then have a friend pepper you with machinegun fire :-)

Edited by Kmieciu, 14 May 2014 - 03:49 AM.

#203 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

Of course, the fact that shooting out the engine seems to do nothing currently makes it a bit of misnomer...

Having said that, I have had my Cockpit shot out with a crit before (still had Head IS according to the paperdoll), but that seems to be rare.

#204 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:38 PM

this is the kind of thing thats helpfull and needs to stay around can we get this a sticky please???

#205 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

View Postkosmos1214, on 26 May 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

this is the kind of thing thats helpfull and needs to stay around can we get this a sticky please???

Contact a mod, and have them add it to the list

#206 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

So, news on gyro/actuators/etc on crits, they're now in game:

View PostOmid Kiarostami, on 18 June 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

Hey Li Song,

I can confirm that internals (actuators, gyros, sensors, etc) are supposed to be accounted for in the critical hit distributions. They are great crit-buffers!

Prior to clans, the default health value of internals was a constant in the code base. When we moved internals to the xml game data, we didn't need that anymore and started specifying hit points on them like every other item. This doesn't represent a change in functionality, though - everything should still be the same as it was before.

In lieu of a formal post going over crits, here's an image of a CN9-YLW with the debug crit table showing: http://imgur.com/G6EmMky

The percentage next to each item in the image above is the likelihood the game uses when determining what item is hit by a crit. Internals factor into the crit distribution (at least until they are destroyed), so having internals in a component definitely improves the survivability of items you slot there.

Hope that clarifies!

#207 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

Putting a ton of ammo in the head, receiving a hit from a weapon that deals 10 damage at the moment the head armor is fully stripped, can result in an ammo explosion and player death. The chance of that happening is only 1% now that all (non removable) criticals count as criticals.

Calculation
  • The head has 5 non-removable criticals and 1 ammo critical
  • I calculate 100% minus the chance of not getting hit = chance of getting hit
  • The chance of an ammo hit for 1 critical hit is 1-5/6 = 16.6% but happens only 25% of the time (4.16%)
  • The chance of an ammo hit for 2 critical hit is 1-5/6*4/5 =1 - 4/6 = 33.3% but happens only 14% of the time (4.67%)
  • The chance of an ammo hit for 3 critical hit is 1-5/6*4/5*3/4= 1 - 3/6 = 50% but happens only 3% of the time (1.5%)
  • The chance of the ammo getting destroyed is the sum of the above, or, 10.33%
  • The chance of the ammo exploding is 10%, so the total chance of suffering instant death by ammo head shot = 1.03%
  • Conclusion: storing ammo in the head is quite safe.
If you argue that you can also die by weapons that do less than 10D damage: the odds of random destruction of the ammo critical is small has you have to go to 60 pts of critical head health, far more than the section health.

Chances of an ammo explosion to CT ammo hits are smaller still (<0.6%).

I do not know how the TC exactly handles critical hit changes, but the Mk I supposedly has a 14.5% increase. Add to the 14.5% for a single hit chance? Than the chance of an ammo headshot increases to 1.28%.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 07 August 2014 - 12:15 AM.

#208 xThrottle Geek

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:23 AM

Selfish: Whats up? Great job man! I had some questions that were asked to me from a video and I thought they were great questions:

[color=#333333]Does the beam duration on a single unarmored component continuously roll for crits?[/color]
[color=#333333]If so, how many crit rolls per second of the beam duration?[/color]
[color=#333333]If not, and the laser has one roll for crit during the beam, would slashing the beam quickly between center and side torso be best for increasing crits?[/color]

#209 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:12 AM

View PostxThrottle Geek, on 03 September 2014 - 05:23 AM, said:

Selfish: Whats up? Great job man! I had some questions that were asked to me from a video and I thought they were great questions:

[color=#333333]Does the beam duration on a single unarmored component continuously roll for crits?[/color]
[color=#333333]If so, how many crit rolls per second of the beam duration?[/color]
[color=#333333]If not, and the laser has one roll for crit during the beam, would slashing the beam quickly between center and side torso be best for increasing crits?[/color]

Beam duration actually acts the same as a burst fire AC (IIRC), it may be on steady beam but it actually has "hit tics" so each "hit" does damage, you just have no graphical representation of that like you do on the clan ACs

Slashing the beam spreads the damage due to the mechanic mentioned above.

Hope that helps!

#210 xThrottle Geek

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:41 AM

Sandpit: Hrmmm, not sure if you are talking "standard" damage or "critical" damage??

#211 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:37 AM

Why is this guide not pinned?

#212 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:56 PM

View PostSandpit, on 05 September 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

Beam duration actually acts the same as a burst fire AC (IIRC), it may be on steady beam but it actually has "hit tics" so each "hit" does damage, you just have no graphical representation of that like you do on the clan ACs

Slashing the beam spreads the damage due to the mechanic mentioned above.

Hope that helps!

so the next step is trying to find the "tics" in each beam, are we assuming larger lasers have more tics? i am surprised that we have not fully defined laser crits yet.

#213 John Mechlane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 164 posts
  • LocationBehind you...in a locust

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:46 AM

is the info in the OP still up to date?

#214 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

View PostJaniTheWeedman, on 26 February 2015 - 06:46 AM, said:

is the info in the OP still up to date?

i do not think so, nobody has posted in a long time.

#215 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

most of it is some of the weapon hps are wrong like the ac20 now has 18 hp and the gauss now has 3 but most of the info on how crits work is right

#216 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

any chance some one could redo this guide ?

#217 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:20 AM

The guide is still pretty accurate, and good place to get started when learning about crits!

#218 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:37 AM

Excellent guide for crits! Please comment if you are new to this thread!

G7

#219 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:24 AM

Excellent guide for crits! Thanks!

#220 EvangelX

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:30 AM

Armour is lost in a couple of burst we are then open to MGs and mechs down in seconds.

Its extraordinarily unrealistic and a joke to play.

MGs currently stuff (%#@&) the lot - OP

Edited by EvangelX, 20 March 2018 - 03:34 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users