Trying One Idea At A Time, Re: Ecm And Streaks

46 replies to this topic

Poll: NARC vs ECM (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Let NARC allow lock-on at short range but take longer

1. Yes (25 votes [47.17%])

Percentage of vote: 47.17%

2. No (13 votes [24.53%])

Percentage of vote: 24.53%

3. Cheese (6 votes [11.32%])

Percentage of vote: 11.32%

4. I am useless at this game and use ECM as a crutch so better players don't kill me (9 votes [16.98%])

Percentage of vote: 16.98%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Codejack

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

View PostZylo, on 07 December 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

I hear there is some nice version of the Catapult called the K2 that doesn't mount any missiles and was once the target of OP complaints when mounting 2x Gauss Rifles. Have you considering trying that version?

Yea, but I switched it over to DHS with LLAS and ac/5s; My gauss are on my Cataphract.

Oh wait, that requires aiming without missile lock.

...and when the netcode is being kind, I've racked up 6 kills and 1000+ damage on my guncat. Don't presume that you know me.

Last time I checked ECM does nothing to counter direct fire weapons. Clearly if you played this game you would know that right?

What is it that everyone assumes that I am somehow suffering under the current state of the game? I'm playing just fine; I just don't think that it is good for the game.

#22 Zylo

• 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

View PostCodejack, on 07 December 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

Yea, but I switched it over to DHS with LLAS and ac/5s; My gauss are on my Cataphract.

...and when the netcode is being kind, I've racked up 6 kills and 1000+ damage on my guncat. Don't presume that you know me.

What is it that everyone assumes that I am somehow suffering under the current state of the game? I'm playing just fine; I just don't think that it is good for the game.

Well the type of posts you make certainly suggest that you seem to be suffering as a result of ECM.

I don't make any claim to know you, just making comments based on your complaints about ECM which indicate you can't do much right now without your streaks.

Clearly if you can put out those numbers when netcode is being good to you, what is stopping you from hitting the larger mechs that move slowly when the netcode is not working in your favor? Is the ECM allowing that very slow Atlas to sneak up on you?

As for thinking it's good for the game or not I question your motivation. Are you sure it's just not an interest in getting the game balance to favor your mech and weapon choices? Your posts seem to be suggesting that you want game balance set in your favor rather than what is best for the game.

Edited by Zylo, 07 December 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#23 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

View PostZylo, on 07 December 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

Well the type of posts you make certainly suggest that you seem to be suffering as a result of ECM.

My posts say that it is unbalanced.

I don't make any claim to know you, just making comments based on your complaints about ECM which indicate you can't do much right now without your streaks.

I'm doing fine with my streaks. I just put some on a Commando.

Clearly if you can put out those numbers when netcode is being good to you, what is stopping you from hitting the larger mechs that move slowly when the netcode is not working in your favor? Is the ECM allowing that very slow Atlas to sneak up on you?

When the netcode is bad, I can shoot afks at point blank range and not do damage, because the server just doesn't register it; it thinks one of our mechs is not where my computer thinks that they are.

As for thinking it's good for the game or not I question your motivation. Are you sure it's just not an interest in getting the game balance to favor your mech and weapon choices?

This is the funniest part of all; my favorite weapons are ballistics! Big LB-ACs, preferably, although they need work in this game. I was really fond of the 2xUAC/5 K2 Catapult before they changed the jamming mechanism. I won a local Netmech tournament back in the 90s with an AC/10 Flea.

Your posts seem to be suggesting that you want game balance set in your favor rather than what is best for the game.

Think what you like; yes, the game balance was set in my favor in my streakcat. I freely admit that, although I deny that it was as bad as so many have made out.

Here's the thing: The game balance is currently set in my favor in my Commando. If they change everything tomorrow, the game balance will be set in my favor in whatever mech I build to take advantage of it.

But right now ECM is imbalanced against new players; this game has a steep learning curve, throwing in what you have to admit is at least a little overpowered ECM hasn't helped, it takes a while to get your mech spec'd out the way you like it, and there aren't enough old school Battletech fans playing to keep it going.

#24 Psikez

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

COMMANDO IS OP!! IMO nerf it with AC20s =)

#25 Freeride Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

View PostCodejack, on 07 December 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

This "no skill" nonsense: If the mech was so overpowered, why weren't you running it? Doesn't that make you a "no skill" mech builder? How dare you tell me how to play the game?!

No, actually what it does is makes pilots like you lucky that everyone didn't/doesn't run Cheesecats so you could have some kills & win some matches for your team for a while. Unless you're the person who discovered how effective such a build could be, you're just another follower. There's no skill in copying someone elses work. Not sure where you ever got that idea.

Didn't look to me like Zylo was telling you how to play the game, only that running a Cheesepult carries with it the implication that such a pilot sucks loads of donkey kife. Or maybe that they have a bad lag issue, which may be able to be overlooked.

I just think that things like mech/build should be included in stats. I voted yes in your little poll there 'cuz I hate seeing PGI waste more time than not by implementing useless $h|t like NARCs.

Edited by Freeride Forever, 07 December 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#26 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostRhent, on 07 December 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

NARC has a high recast time and the damn thing fires like an unguided SRM, IOW's they don't stick well. NARC is useless as it stands now and adding 30 seconds to NARC will make it just as useless. NARC should work 100% inside an ECM bubble on all mechs but the mech that has ECM.

Wait... did you just say "Recast time"...

#27 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 07 December 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

Wait... did you just say "Recast time"...

Yes... yes he did.

#28 Lykaon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

No way should the one means of keeping the hoards of crutchmech streakcats at bay be counterable by a system that can be mounted on the streakcats.

#29 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:04 AM

View PostLykaon, on 07 December 2012 - 11:37 PM, said:

No way should the one means of keeping the hoards of crutchmech streakcats at bay be counterable by a system that can be mounted on the streakcats.

Oh, but letting ECM be about 10 times as powerful as in any previous BT/MW game and counterable ONLY by other mechs that can mount ECM is fine?!

Not a little biased, are you?

View PostFreeride Forever, on 07 December 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

No, actually what it does is makes pilots like you lucky that everyone didn't/doesn't run Cheesecats so you could have some kills & win some matches for your team for a while. Unless you're the person who discovered how effective such a build could be, you're just another follower. There's no skill in copying someone elses work. Not sure where you ever got that idea.

Didn't look to me like Zylo was telling you how to play the game, only that running a Cheesepult carries with it the implication that such a pilot sucks loads of donkey kife. Or maybe that they have a bad lag issue, which may be able to be overlooked.

I just think that things like mech/build should be included in stats. I voted yes in your little poll there 'cuz I hate seeing PGI waste more time than not by implementing useless $h|t like NARCs.

Whatever, dude; the game was always as much about loading the right weapons and equipment on the mechs as actually sitting down and shooting at each other. If anyone was having such a problem with streakcats, they should have built a mech to kill them, and gone to town.

That's what I did.

#30 Mongoose Trueborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

ECM is the best thing to ever happen to this game. Made it fun again.

#31 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

View PostCodejack, on 08 December 2012 - 06:04 AM, said:

Oh, but letting ECM be about 10 times as powerful as in any previous BT/MW game and counterable ONLY by other mechs that can mount ECM is fine?!

Are you still harping that old line about nothing countering ECM but ECM?

ECM is countered by:
1. Another ECM
2. TAG
3. An AC/20 to the face
4. Teamwork

#32 Kelb

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

I don't like any of the choices, so I can't vote.

#33 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

View PostCodejack, on 08 December 2012 - 06:04 AM, said:

That's what I did.

No it's not. You just built a Streakcat and then came to complain about it on the forums when you got killed in it.

#34 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

View Poststjobe, on 08 December 2012 - 07:02 AM, said:

Are you still harping that old line about nothing countering ECM but ECM?

ECM is countered by:
1. Another ECM
2. TAG
3. An AC/20 to the face
4. Teamwork

1) Which is stupid
2) Which doesn't work
3) Which counters anything so quit shoveling BS my way
4) Unless they have teammates, too

TAG is impossible to keep on a fast light at distance for long enough to get lock, and blocked at close range.

ECM is wildly overpowered compared to any other implementation in the history of the franchise. The closest you could have gotten was Angel ECM with a Null Signature System, and that generated 10 heat but didn't cover your allies.

View PostVlad Ward, on 08 December 2012 - 07:41 AM, said:

No it's not. You just built a Streakcat and then came to complain about it on the forums when you got killed in it.

Open letter to the president: If we don't do something about our educational system, and I mean NOW....

It's called "reading comprehension," can you under- oh, well, I guess not.

I have pointed out a dozen times that all I have done is switch over to a Commando and added ECM, and my game hasn't changed, much.

The fact that so many of you seem to think that the only reason to claim that anything is unbalanced is as part of a metagame to bias MWO to your style of play says more about you than it does about me.

#35 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

View PostCodejack, on 08 December 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

TAG is impossible to keep on a fast light at distance for long enough to get lock

Since I've seen that video you posted I understand that you are having problems with TAG.
Keep practising, one day you'll be able to do what the rest of us already can.

#36 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

NARCs should be "instant-on" the moment it hits and sticks to a mech.

ECM should have little effect to no effect on a NARC beacon. The NARC beacon broadcasts louder than the ECM should be able to. And the use of a TAG laser will overcome an ECM signal as well (for obvious reasons).

Also, If I shoot a mech carrying ECM with a PPC, I expect some degradation in the ECM suite's output, perhaps even frying it. I also want to see radio homing missiles that can track the ECM suite frequencies. Keep this in mind -- Jamming should only be on when needed, if your ECM is on all the time, DF will find you and you will die. Too bad none of the good stuff is also being brought in to counteract the ECM feature.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 08 December 2012 - 02:44 PM.

#37 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

View Poststjobe, on 08 December 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Since I've seen that video you posted I understand that you are having problems with TAG.
Keep practising, one day you'll be able to do what the rest of us already can.

In every other MW game, I have no problem, BECAUSE THE ENEMIES DON'T TELEPORT ACROSS MY SCREEN!

Seriously, is this a reading problem or an attitude problem?

#38 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

View PostCodejack, on 08 December 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

In every other MW game, I have no problem, BECAUSE THE ENEMIES DON'T TELEPORT ACROSS MY SCREEN!

Seriously, is this a reading problem or an attitude problem?

I don't know, it seems to be a problem with aiming, specifically with the concept of leading a target.
But your reading comprehension and attitude could also do with a bit of adjustment.

#39 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

View Poststjobe, on 08 December 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

I don't know, it seems to be a problem with aiming, specifically with the concept of leading a target.

Then what video are you watching? I lead the target, hit the button, wait, it fires, and just before the missiles hit, the Jenner jumps about 20m to the left. If I knew when it was going to happen and how much, I might have a chance of compensating, but it changes every time.

View Poststjobe, on 08 December 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

But your reading comprehension and attitude could also do with a bit of adjustment.

You keep having to reply to people who apparently don't read what you write and keep giving you the same BS argument.

#40 StainlessSR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSunShine State

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

View PostZylo, on 07 December 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

So... wouldn't this just mean that the Streak A1 pilots need to run 5x SSRM2 + 1x NARC to go back to business as usual before ECM?

Obviously you have never fired a nark, no guidance you have to aim and they don't last long. It would be hard to hit the light to start with ONE missile non-guided to allow SSRM lockon for 3 seconds (I think that is how long it lasts). Conversly, this would eliminate all the L2P and L2Aim crap if you could do that.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users