Heavy Mechs: What would you like to see?

306 replies to this topic

Poll: Next Heavy Mech (341 member(s) have cast votes)

What Heavy Mech should be the next?

1. Jagermech (31 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. Quickdraw (1 votes [0.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.29%

3. Voted Orion (116 votes [34.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.02%

4. Cataphract (15 votes [4.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.40%

5. Guillotine (10 votes [2.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.93%

6. Grasshopper (30 votes [8.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.80%

7. Axman (17 votes [4.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.99%

8. Caesar (14 votes [4.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.11%

9. Black Knight (69 votes [20.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.23%

10. Bombardier (2 votes [0.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.59%

11. Champion (7 votes [2.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.05%

12. Exterminator (9 votes [2.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.64%

13. Flashman (17 votes [4.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.99%

14. Lancelot (3 votes [0.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 goon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

Orion

Give papa Karensky some love.

#62 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

View PostMinymee, on 15 May 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

I would love to see the Mad cat. It was my favourite mech.

To quote Paul Inouye "You're still not getting your friggin' Mad Cat"

Its also Clan tech, 3049=no clans

Edited by Iron Harlequin, 15 May 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#63 stun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

Avatar, Argus, and Marauder for my picks

#64 Zakatak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

Caesar would be nice. The majority of the mechs have been Ye Olde favourites of the Succession Wars. Caesar has just recently been released to the public. We don't have a 70 tonner, super expensive and new mech, or a Gauss Rifle carrying mech yet. Yes please!

Edited by Zakatak, 15 May 2012 - 02:03 PM.

#65 Draco Argentus

• PipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 38 posts
  • LocationLast seen near the Periphery. . .

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

The only heavy that matters - Marauder.

#66 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

View Poststun, on 15 May 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

Avatar, Argus, and Marauder for my picks

Avatar/Argus werent around until after the clan invasion.

#67 Dirk Diggler

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

War Dog anyone? w/Heavy Gauss Rifle?

#68 Tandgnissle

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

Am I the only one that wants the Charger in game? Sure it's crap, but it's fun.

#69 Killdeer

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

I want me an Orion. Old school, so it should be available in the current timeline, and a really sweet ride.

#70 Joseph Calvert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 153 posts
  • LocationQC, Arizona

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

I would like to see the Jagermech and the Thunderbolt.

#71 Thomas Hogarth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 463 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'd like to see the heavy bracket be filled with some more universally available 'Mechs. Thusfar, we have the Dragon, a Kuritan special, not built anywhere but the Combine, and the Catapult. The Catapult is seen everywhere, but has a very strong bias towards Combine and Liao service. IIRC, Catapults outside of Liao and Kuritan space are generally salvaged.

The real common designs in the heavy bracket are the Marauder, Orion, Thunderbolt, and Warhammer. Grasshoppers and Quickdraws aren't uncommon either.

To further narrow the choices, we have to omit designs that do things that others do. The Warhammer and Marauder are deceptively similar. Really, they're quite different. Sure, both have twin PPCs, but the Warhammer has an emphasis on secondary weapons, while the Marauder gains a third long-ranged weapon. While I prefer the Warhammer due to it's quirky nature, I have to hand it to the Marauder instead.

The Thunderbolt is nice, but we need heavier designs. The Orion sticks out here, and it should be noted that the Orion fills roughly the same role.

The Quickdraw is a fine design, but we already have a 80+kph heavy. The Grasshopper therefore takes the cake. However, comparing the Grasshopper to what's needed, it seems to fall short.

Winners of my little filtering process? Marauder and Orion. As much as it pains me to say the Marauder should be in before the Warhammer.

Worried about unseen issues? Just use the reseen art and get it over with already. Better than leaving gaping holes in 70-75 range in terms of long range dual PPC jobs.

#72 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

View PostThomas Hogarth, on 15 May 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

The real common designs in the heavy bracket are the Marauder, Orion, Thunderbolt, and Warhammer. Grasshoppers and Quickdraws aren't uncommon either.

You left out the Archer, which is about the most common heavy in the I.S.

#73 caid

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

Orion of course, seeing the concepts I'd like to see it designed in the Flying-debris' style...

#74 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Marauder :lol:
Posted Image
Posted Image

'Nuff said. :)

#75 Sleeping Bear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGuam

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hmmm, for a heavy I'd really like to see the Orion. If I really got what I wanted, we'd get the Flashman. The Orion was General Kerensky's butt-kicker of choice and a general mainstay of SLDF and later House forces. Heavy and tough, with good firepower and average mobility for a heavy, it epitomizes the role that heavy mechs are commonly used in. The Flashman however is something that I'm in love with cerebrally. I mean an 86kph 75 tonner, c'mon are you kidding me? It's all energy loadout also means you don't run out of pew pew in the middle of that hairy firefight, while it's heavy armor load ensures you stay up in said firefight. We will probably get an Orion but I really want a Flashman.

#76 Thomas Hogarth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 463 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 15 May 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

You left out the Archer, which is about the most common heavy in the I.S.

This is true. I think I mentally discarded it due to similarity to the Catapult.

What my fear is that they chose the Catapult due to it's K2 variant and it's rough similarity to the Archer. I hope they don't see the K2 as a valid replacement for the Warhammer/Marauder. The K2 is a great 'Mech, but it lacks the strong secondary batteries of either of those mechs. The negative part of my brain thinks that they see the Catapult as a 'silver bullet' to solve the unseen/reseen issue. Not sure what the aversion to using reseen designs is, but...

_shrug_

#77 Thomas Hogarth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 463 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

View PostSleeping Bear, on 15 May 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

Hmmm, for a heavy I'd really like to see the Orion. If I really got what I wanted, we'd get the Flashman. The Orion was General Kerensky's butt-kicker of choice and a general mainstay of SLDF and later House forces. Heavy and tough, with good firepower and average mobility for a heavy, it epitomizes the role that heavy mechs are commonly used in. The Flashman however is something that I'm in love with cerebrally. I mean an 86kph 75 tonner, c'mon are you kidding me? It's all energy loadout also means you don't run out of pew pew in the middle of that hairy firefight, while it's heavy armor load ensures you stay up in said firefight. We will probably get an Orion but I really want a Flashman.

Two major problems with the Flashman: One, it's not particularly common. I'd even rank it as rare. The downgraded version was in production, but fairly limited production. Two, the 86kph version is not yet in production. The faster version doesn't come back until the early '60s(unless you happen to find the ones ComStar has hidden about - finding one would pretty much be a death sentance due to ROM)

When you look at it as a 64kph heavy, it's still good, but so rare that there are more common 64kph heavies that should come first.

#78 Ravager AI

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts
  • LocationStuck in your radiostream

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

Personally I'd go for the Marauder...

And while on that tangent I think the Marauder II could be a nifty choice as well, even tho' it is not on topic to bring an Assault, as it was after all first introduced in 3012.

#79 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostLunarchaos, on 14 May 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

mad cat or timber wolf for me its may fav

:) oh man, Mad Cat is Timber Wolf :lol:

#80 Dirk Diggler

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

Ok...I've already posted about the WAR DOG w/ the HEAVY GAUSS RIFLE

I just think that it'd be kinda cool to have this mech, w/ this specific weapon in the WR-DG-03FC. Just to have a powerful weapon like the HEAVY GAUSS that, if used, could knock you on your back because of its tremendous recoil in this game...it might teach some folks about how to utilize their weapons more responsibly

"Indeed, the recoil from the weapon is so great that the rifle cannot be mounted in a vehicle's turret or 'Mech's arms, as firing the rifle would essentially rip it off. A 'Mech firing the rifle may even be knocked down by the recoil. At close range, the rifle can inflict damage exceeding that of even an Autocannon/20, and so it has earned the handle of "Thor's Hammer" among LAAF troops."

22 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users