(AU) 1st Regulan Hussars, Rolling Thunder Company

2 replies to this topic

#1 Duckeye

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:31 AM

Back on the SomethingAwful forums, there's a large-scale Alternate Universe pBp-battle-reports sort of affair by the name of Let's All Play Battletech. I know it's probably poor form to cross-post between different forums but we're all excited about MWO over there as much as anyone else. Anyways, the current scenario happens to involve the players taking the role of a mixed-Heavy lance in the legendary Rolling Thunder company.

I wanted to make a painting commemorating the battle, which is actually still ongoing as of this posting, but I ran into the problem of the Ostroc and Orion looking, well, kind of terrible in canon.

What with there being a big deal with updating classic designs in Mechwarrior Online, I got inspired to do the same with some of these other 'Mechs whose art haven't been released. Also got to try my hand at painting in photoshop, something I'm still fairly new at. Over-reliance on local color and relative flatness of composition is a constant bugbear in things I do.

So here it is, my take on the 'mechs of the 1st Regulan Hussars, Rolling Thunder company.
Posted Image
Full-size version on my new dA account. It's so new I haven't figured out how to work with half the stuff on it. Social networking was never my strong suit.

I tried to keep the overall silhouettes of the Ostroc OSR-2C and Orion ON1-K intact while trying to make them look less boxy and awkward. Gave them new heads, too. I did take some cues from flyingdebris' work on some details (and I'm a pretty big fan of his!) but the general design sensibilities are my own. Shrank the cockpit canopies on the heavies and the Awesome, too, to give them a feel of greater physical "presence." That is, to say, smaller faces make 'Mechs look bigger.

Also the company insignia is no longer the Meltyface Batmanlogo Vampirella. (Check sarna, you'll see what I'm talking about.) The new insignia I drew is anime as all get-out though, and posting that here would be silly.

#2 AzureTempest

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIowa, USA

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

Gotta say, VERY impressive. The powerful lighting from the weapon give off a very "dark of night, only illuminated by the signs of battle" feeling at first glance. Love the modifications to the designs, as well as the faithful silhouette and tweeked cockpits convey the size of the machines.

Looking forward to more, definitely going to keep an eye on your DA.

#3 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

wow, very cool, the awesome looks the best....because.. well, he just looks "awesome"!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users