Mech Quest 1 - Kaos-Mav Answers Your Mech Questions!

30 replies to this topic

#1 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Ask away and i'l give you the answers you seek! Need max dps, sex appeal, a way to impress the in-laws? I am here for you!

M

KaoS Legion - arguably the best mechwarrior unit ever, 10 years and running. See you on the tournament scene!

Edited by MavRCK, 10 December 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#2 Craftyman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:15 AM

can i use mech tree skills on trial mechs if I have already unlocked the skills on an identical owned mech?

#3 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

View PostCraftyman, on 10 December 2012 - 03:15 AM, said:

can i use mech tree skills on trial mechs if I have already unlocked the skills on an identical owned mech?

No, unfortunately, you only gain experience for use on the mech tree skills (under pilot) when you play an owned mech.

Tips:

1) premium time for a month is less MC than a medium or heavier mech and will give you 50% extra bonus cbills and experience... about 33% more cbills and experience overall... makes grinding and levelling your mech much faster.

2) factor in 1.5 million cbills for your first mech purchase to buy double heatsinks immediately. The heatsinks in the engine function as a full 2.0 and this will make any new mech significantly more heat efficient.

3) first mechs to purchase: Raven3L, JennerD or JennerF, Hunchback4SP

#4 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

bump - top player, top team, willing to help!

#5 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

1) Does ammo only explode on critical hit? If so how much dmg does that critical hit have to do? For how much dmg does each ton of ammo explode (LRM,SRM,AMS, aso.)?

2) Is the 140km/h cap still in the game? Are 140+ km/h lights thus just showing that you go faster but you actually dont?

3) Do normal PPCs do 0 dmg under 90m or does it just degrade down to 0dmg at 0meters (i.e. 5dmg at 45m)?

Edited by Budor, 15 December 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#6 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Can you recommend an effective build for the Cicada 3M?

#7 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for bringing up the topic of the Cicada. This 40-ton medium mech is generally considered to be a "light mech".

It is an effective (but not perfect) counter to a Raven 3L and (because of ECM) the Jenner D. The Jenner F is a especially difficult opponent due to its JJ and 6 laser configuration, it's a pilot fight!

Remember that light mechs depend on their max speed to survive. I don't ever recommend reducing the size of the engine to fit in a larger weapon payload; doing so requires a team to support you. As a scout and counter-light, the cicada needs to have its top speed match that of the jenner with its 300XL engine and 138.9 kph and the raven 3L with its 295 XL engine and top speed of 136.5 kph. ( FYI: The other raven variants are terrible, buy the 2X, 4X only to get elite and master on the 3L - spend MC to unlock the basics on the raven 2x, 4x - spend your time and cbills on the jenners. )

That all said, the cicada gives me some consternation - having played the cicada on my friend's account, I have yet to buy them on my main account, as my team plays a 2-2-2-2 meta and we use our medium mech slots for 4SPs. I am generally in a Raven 3L (for serious play) or in the Jenner D or F (for PUG play). I will be buying the cicadas after I buy the stalkers this week (thanks PGI!).

I wish the Cicada could carry 1-2 missile points to make it a true counter to the Raven Jenner, but truthfully, this would make the Cicada completely overpowered (OP) if the game goes towards tonnage limit. As it stands, if the game goes (and as we play in tournaments) as a 2-2-2-2 light-medium-heavy-assault meta, the Cicada has difficulty in finding a home with its 4 laser layout.

That said, it's a fun fast mech and you will be the headache of any foolish light pilot who underestimates you... or any Atlas that turns it's back to you!

It's your choice of 4 medium lasers or 2 medium lasers with 2 medium pulse lasers. The latter variant requires adjusting your armour levels to fit in the 2nd medium pulse laser. There is never a reason to not take 13 double heat sink because the 13th DHS is in the engine and functions as a full 2.0 heat sink rather than a 1.4 (outside of the engine) heat sink.

When adjusting armor levels, consider that in a duel you will often be spreading damage across the back of your mech (or only the back if you're a terrible pilot :blink: ) and that when trading with larger mechs you may need to turn your back to them - for this reason I increase my back armour significantly! After you play a while, adjust the armour levels depending if you're getting cored most often from the front or the rear.

With regards to the former variant, you can fit in 4 small lasers with extra heatsinks, but the 4 ML variant has excellent heat efficiency so why loose the range and max alpha damage? The 4 SL is very similar in damage per second to the 4ML, but the range is lower. Another alternative which is viable and deadly is exchanging 4 ML for 4 small pulse lasers.

GL HF HH!

Mav

PS: Although I would not find this variant fun (I'm too competitive!) -- you could put in an AC2 with 1 ton of ammo, drop the engine down to ~310XL, loose lots of armor on the arms and focus on taking out rear-torsos of heavy - assault mechs. It's a pure PUG-only, TROLL-only variant and frankly, any good light mech in a Raven3L or Jenner will eat you alive. :ph34r: I shouldn't even post this..... but not everyone thinks of "fun" in the same way I do! :)

===================================================

Chassis Name: Cicada
Model Name: CDA-3M
Variant Name: 4ML 340XL ENDO FF ECM (May exchange for 4 SPL)

Engine Cost: 5,440,000 C-Bills
Heat Sink Cost: 8,000 C-Bills
Armor Cost: 90,144 C-Bills
Weapons Cost: 320,000 C-Bills
Equipment Cost: 200,000 C-Bills
Ammo Cost: 0 C-Bills

Engine: 340 XL Engine
Internal Type: Endo Steel
Armor Type: Ferro Fibrous
Heat Sinks: 14 (13) Double Heat Sinks

Tonnage: 39.65
Speed: 137.7 kph
Armor Total: 274
Alpha Strike Damage: 20.00
Alpha Strike Heat: 29.52%
Firepower: 5.00 dps
Heat Efficiency: 64.00% (Wow!!)
Effective Range of Loadout: 270m

Head: 18/18
Right Torso: 28/40
Right Rear Torso: 12/40
Center Torso: 36/48
Center Rear Torso: 12/48
Left Torso: 28/40
Left Rear Torso: 12/40
Right Arm: 24/24
Left Arm: 24/24
Right Leg: 40/40
Left Leg: 40/40

Weapons Locations
Right Torso:
Medium Laser
Left Torso:
Medium Laser
Center Torso:
(2) Medium Laser

Heat Sink Locations
Left Torso: 1

Equipment Locations
Left Torso:
ECM

Ammo Locations

File created using MWO Mechbay

===================================================

Chassis Name: Cicada
Model Name: CDA-3M
Variant Name: 2ML 2MPL 340XL ENDO FF ECM

Engine Cost: 5,440,000 C-Bills
Heat Sink Cost: 6,000 C-Bills
Armor Cost: 80,128 C-Bills
Weapons Cost: 400,000 C-Bills
Equipment Cost: 200,000 C-Bills
Ammo Cost: 0 C-Bills

Engine: 340 XL Engine
Internal Type: Endo Steel
Armor Type: Ferro Fibrous
Heat Sinks: 13 (13) Double Heat Sinks

Tonnage: 39.98
Speed: 137.7 kph
Armor Total: 250
Alpha Strike Damage: 22.00
Alpha Strike Heat: 32.37%
Firepower: 5.70 dps
Heat Efficiency: 51.86%
Effective Range of Loadout: 180m

Head: 12/18
Right Torso: 28/40
Right Rear Torso: 12/40
Center Torso: 36/48
Center Rear Torso: 12/48
Left Torso: 28/40
Left Rear Torso: 12/40
Right Arm: 20/24
Left Arm: 20/24
Right Leg: 35/40
Left Leg: 35/40

Weapons Locations
Right Torso:
Medium Pulse Laser
Left Torso:
Medium Pulse Laser
Center Torso:
(2) Medium Laser

Heat Sink Locations

Equipment Locations
Left Torso:
ECM

Ammo Locations

File created using MWO Mechbay

Edited by MavRCK, 15 December 2012 - 03:02 PM.

#8 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 09 December 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

Ask away and i'l give you the answers you seek!

What be the answer to life the universe and everything?

#9 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

View PostMagicHamsta, on 15 December 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

Cartman.

But further non-mech-related questions will be ignored!

:)

Edited by MavRCK, 15 December 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#10 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

View PostBudor, on 15 December 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

1) Does ammo only explode on critical hit? If so how much dmg does that critical hit have to do? For how much dmg does each ton of ammo explode (LRM,SRM,AMS, aso.)?

Yes. Each ton of ammo takes up a critical slot and that critical slot (or ammo) has 10 health. When that slot takes 10 damage and its health reaches 0, it explodes. Each type of ammo does different amounts of damage depending on its type and how many shots are available.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

Notice that gauss ammo do not explode - ie. does 0 damage. AC20 ammo does 20 damage per shot. SRM ammo does 2.5 damage per shot.

This is why CASE 0.5 tons is useful -- it prevents excess ammo explosion damage that did not destroy everything in that ammo's location from spreading to the adjacent location.

On a similar note, a gauss rifle has 3 health and explodes doing 20 damage to its location.

2) Is the 140km/h cap still in the game? Are 140+ km/h lights thus just showing that you go faster but you actually dont?

The actually cap is 150 kph, but no mech is capable of reaching that limit. For all intents and purposes, the jenner with its 300XL engine and speed tweak is the fastest mech in the game. However, the Raven3L and the Cicada3M reach almost equivalent top speeds.

3) Do normal PPCs do 0 dmg under 90m or does it just degrade down to 0dmg at 0meters (i.e. 5dmg at 45m)?

My understanding and experience is that non-ER PPCs do 0 damage under 90m and do not have a reverse trail-off effect.

Thanks!

GL HF HH!

Edited by MavRCK, 15 December 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#11 CitizenDick

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 38 posts
  • LocationApopka, Fl

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

View PostMagicHamsta, on 15 December 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

That would be 49......

But heres a real question....
Hero mechs give you c-bill bonus ONLY in that mech im assumming...
but premium time gives you bonuses in any mech....even in trials?

Edited by CitizenDick, 15 December 2012 - 03:13 PM.

#12 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

View PostCitizenDick, on 15 December 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

That would be 49......

But heres a real question....
Hero mechs give you c-bill bonus ONLY in that mech im assumming...
but premium time gives you bonuses in any mech....even in trials?

Yes. And hero mech bonus cbills stack with premium time bonus cbills.

Premium time is an excellent way to earn chills and experience efficiently. My recommendation for any player is to buy 1 month of premium time when starting to play this game. It's the best MC you'll ever spend.

Edited by MavRCK, 15 December 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#13 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Thanks!

View PostMavRCK, on 15 December 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

There is never a reason to not take 13 double heat sink because the 13th DHS is in the engine and functions as a full 2.0 heat sink rather than a 1.4 (outside of the engine) heat sink.

Afaik only the 10(max) built in heatsinks function with 2.0 anything that is added, into the engine or into other sections, only does 1.4.

#14 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostBudor, on 15 December 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

Thanks!

Afaik only the 10(max) built in heatsinks function with 2.0 anything that is added, into the engine or into other sections, only does 1.4.

Thanks! :) Will double-check!

#15 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 15 December 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

Cartman.

But further non-mech-related questions will be ignored!

:)

But Mechs be part of "everything" & you has never had that exclusion clause listed before!
D:<

Fine, what be your thoughts on the 3 UAC5 Hero Cataphract?
('-')

Edited by MagicHamsta, 15 December 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#16 FrostCollar

• 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Here's a short question I've considered when I have a bit of extra space: is using CASE in a side torso section with an XL engine ever worthwhile? I've always thought that I'd have taken so much damage to the torso section to cause an ammo explosion already that I'm dead regardless if I have CASE or not.

#17 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

View PostMagicHamsta, on 15 December 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

Fine, what be your thoughts on the 3 UAC5 Hero Cataphract?
('-')

Firstly, I am quite upset with the changes to the UAC5 - simply, the RNG factor makes the weapon unreliable and not viable in competitive play. My opinion is that the chance to jam should only occur on the 2nd shot and that the duration of jam be fixed.

That said, the 3 UAC5 Ilya is a good mech. The 3 UAC5s allow for a snipe build which is effectively 1 gauss shot (15 dmg ) at with a much faster rate of fire. Even if 1 or 2 UAC5s jam, you usually have 1-2 UAC5s available to continue firing. In addition, the range of the UAC5 and the speed of the UAC5 projectile is excellent. The convergence of the ballistics in the arms with ballistic hard point in the right torso is excellent.

The build I like with the Ilya is a 3 medium laser 3 UAC5 mech. If this mech had JJs, it would be over-powered.

As it stands, the 3D cataphract is, imo, a better sniper with 3 large lasers and 1 gauss rifle with jump jets.

#18 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PostFrostCollar, on 15 December 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

Here's a short question I've considered when I have a bit of extra space: is using CASE in a side torso section with an XL engine ever worthwhile? I've always thought that I'd have taken so much damage to the torso section to cause an ammo explosion already that I'm dead regardless if I have CASE or not.

This is a question we're all waiting on the final answer... the DEVs have to decide if XL engines need something to make them less vulnerable to torso explosions.. in particular the gauss rifle... and with this in mind, it has been mentioned perhaps to involve using CASE.

As it stands, CASE will not protect a side torso explosion from damaging an XL engine in the side torso.

For this reason prioritize your ammo locations to: head, CT, legs. In addition, you can position limited amounts of ammunition in your arms, side torsos if you are certain you will expend the ammunition by the time you are likely to take significant amounts of damage and die. Head --> CT --> RT --> LT --> LA ---> RA ---> LL ---> RL

L-CTRL and lookup to see the ammo left in each area. :)

http://mwomercs.com/...mmo-being-used/

#19 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 15 December 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

For this reason prioritize your ammo locations to: head, CT, legs. In addition, you can position limited amounts of ammunition in your arms, side torsos if you are certain you will expend the ammunition by the time you are likely to take significant amounts of damage and die. Head --> CT --> RT --> LT --> LA ---> RA ---> LL ---> RL

L-CTRL and lookup to see the ammo left in each area. :)

http://mwomercs.com/...mmo-being-used/

That piece of information right that was worth today's time spent on the forums. Looks like I have some builds to reconsider.

Question: Part of me really likes my ctf-4X, another part wants to dump it over the (lack of) speed. What are your thoughts on that variant, tactically speaking? I've figured a few decent builds (suggestions are welcome of course) for it, but the thing is very prone to getting overwhelmed by faster opponents. Performance is spotty. It either does really well, or dies a swift horrible death. Any way to level that out?

Edited by Bagheera, 15 December 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#20 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

View PostBagheera, on 15 December 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

Question: Part of me really likes my ctf-4X, another part wants to dump it over the (lack of) speed. What are your thoughts on that variant, tactically speaking? I've figured a few decent builds (suggestions are welcome of course) for it, but the thing is very prone to getting overwhelmed by faster opponents. Performance is spotty. It either does really well, or dies a swift horrible death. Any way to level that out?

Aye, positioning be important for the 4X due to the lack of speed.
With the 4 ballistic slots you can has loadouts such as quad AC5s/AC2s or dual UAC5/AC5 etc.
As such, you can has an impressive damage output on it.

The trick be to be the fire support for mechs which can soak up enough damage to buy you enough time to unload your weapons.
So stick with the Assaults & don't be the first to stick your head out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users