Mech Quest 1 - Kaos-Mav Answers Your Mech Questions!

30 replies to this topic

#21 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

View PostBagheera, on 15 December 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

Question: Part of me really likes my ctf-4X, another part wants to dump it over the (lack of) speed. What are your thoughts on that variant, tactically speaking? I've figured a few decent builds (suggestions are welcome of course) for it, but the thing is very prone to getting overwhelmed by faster opponents. Performance is spotty. It either does really well, or dies a swift horrible death. Any way to level that out?

The CTF-4X is inferior to the Catapult K2 when running double gauss. This is because of (1) convergence of ballistics at shorter distances versus torso mounted ballistics and (2) the hitbox of the cataphract versus the catapult. The catapult spreads its damage better around the side torsos and isn't vulnerable to its arms being shot off immediately.

Some people like 4 AC5 in the 4X, but it's inferior to anything that does more alpha damage than 20 and has a speed over 60 kph. It's a fun, but troll build. (My apologies to the fans of this build - it's not open to discussion and will not be discussed in this thread.)

Edited by MavRCK, 15 December 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#22 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

The cataphract seems to be a popular chassis to ask questions for, so I will throw mine into the ring.

What role, based on hardpoints, should the CTF-2X be gunning for in your opinion? How useful is the ballistics hardpoint in the torso? Should the missle hardpoints be ignored or filled?

#23 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

View PostGrey Black, on 15 December 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

The cataphract seems to be a popular chassis to ask questions for, so I will throw mine into the ring.

What role, based on hardpoints, should the CTF-2X be gunning for in your opinion? How useful is the ballistics hardpoint in the torso? Should the missle hardpoints be ignored or filled?

2X: 3 Medium Lasers, AC20 (Or Gauss), 2 SRM6 (with or without artemis). Our lead drop commander and our head of strategy calls this his "mini-atlas".

If you don't use the missile hardpoints, play the 3D with 3 large lasers, gauss and JJ.

Edited by MavRCK, 15 December 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#24 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

TY for the detailed answer!

#25 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

What be your thoughts on Artemis?

#26 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Can I have your siggie?

#27 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostMagicHamsta, on 16 December 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

What be your thoughts on Artemis?

Artemis tightens up the spread of SRM6s significantly - less so for SRM4s. If you can afford the tonnage, Artemis makes a significant different at SRM6 ranges of ~175 - 275m - it seems to let 2 out of 6 srms hit more centrally with the other 4. It's less important at ranges under 175m, or as mentioned with SRM4s. If you can implement Artemis on SRM6s, it helps - but it's up to you.

#28 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 16 December 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Artemis tightens up the spread of SRM6s significantly - less so for SRM4s. If you can afford the tonnage, Artemis makes a significant different at SRM6 ranges of ~175 - 275m - it seems to let 2 out of 6 srms hit more centrally with the other 4. It's less important at ranges under 175m, or as mentioned with SRM4s. If you can implement Artemis on SRM6s, it helps - but it's up to you.

Which segues into me next question:
Should the competitive mech equip the artemis or more sinks/ammo?

#29 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostMagicHamsta, on 16 December 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

Which segues into me next question:
Should the competitive mech equip the artemis or more sinks/ammo?

Again it depends on the pilot and the mech / build - some of my atlas have it, some don't.

#30 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 17 December 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

Again it depends on the pilot and the mech / build - some of my atlas have it, some don't.

How about, your opinion on what be the best mech counter against a brawler Atlas other than another brawler Atlas?

& also me would like to know your thoughts on this:
(Enemy team was running heavy with 3 brawler Atlases, 1 Awesome, 2 Cataphracts, and 1 Raven)
Posted Image

#31 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

View PostMagicHamsta, on 17 December 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

How about, your opinion on what be the best mech counter against a brawler Atlas other than another brawler Atlas?

& also me would like to know your thoughts on this:
(Enemy team was running heavy with 3 brawler Atlases, 1 Awesome, 2 Cataphracts, and 1 Raven)

1) Atlas vs Atlas -- if they brawl, snipe... if they snipe, brawl... if you're both brawling, the better pilot wins..
2) You were facing 4 assaults, 2 heavies and a light.. realistically, you needed another MagicHamsta. ;)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users