How To Make Multiple Jump Jets Matter

30 replies to this topic

#21 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Preferably each JJ mounted should increase the amount of flight time (recommend: 5 second each). Pressing <space> creates upward force lifting the mech off the ground at a given rate. Pressing <space> + a directional key divides the force between up and the direction. This way a pilot can control both velocity and height of the jump.

Landings should still need thrust to prevent the "ow my legs" moment I see newb Jenner pilots doing all the time.

#22 Galenit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

View PostPocket Psycho, on 11 December 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

I'm not sure what JJ's you're looking at, my Jenner has 5 and they're only 1 crit each, and I can put them in my legs

Read my post again .... (and excuse my bad english)

You can run your jenner with the same effect with only 1 jj in the moment and save 4 crits and 2 tons. To compensate that, i suggest to increase sice and wight of jj so you have to install only 1 until this is fixed. Doesnt matter to you, but to all exploiters using only 1 jj in the moment.

Edited by Galenit, 12 December 2012 - 06:26 AM.

#23 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:30 AM

As already stated in the "Ask the Devs" and the comand chair postings this issue is underway and already something beeing worked on.

#24 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

No lateral movement should be allowed while air born. You go Up, Forward, Back, Rotate (max. 180) and Down. Jumping sideways would quickly promote pop-tarting and anyone who played the older version knows how that worked out. Badly...

Edited by MaddMaxx, 12 December 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#25 Imagine Dragons

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationLV-223

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

OP, interesting idea...

#26 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 12 December 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

As already stated in the "Ask the Devs" and the comand chair postings this issue is underway and already something beeing worked on.

"Working on" doesn't mean "complete" and even then it still doesn't mean "set in stone".

I've been thinking about this since closed beta but figured I need to get this concept out so it could be seen and considered before they get even further along whatever process they're working on.

#27 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

It would be nice if jump-jet placement was as important as the number, and we had controls to move the mech based on which jump-jets we fired.

Forward: a determinate amount of meters and height for the number of Jump Jets in the Center torso and feet.
Right or Left; feet and arm/left-right torso; again, the number of them used determines distance and height.
Backwards, same as front.

Diagonally, a combination of the above based on the direction.

Edited by Aphoticus, 12 December 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#28 Mercento

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hey ppl,

Here is my take.

1 jumpjet: Uni-directional jump (can only jump forward when running forward or jump backwards when reversing)
2 jumpjets: 2 directional jumps (can fly forward or backward during a jumping flight)
3 jumpjets: 3 directional jumps (can fly forward or backward or left, if the 3rd JJ is on the Right Torso, during a flight)
4 jumpjets: 4 directional jumps (can literally derp around in any direction during flight)

This would greatly enhance the mobility of having JJs.

What do you guys think?

#29 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 12 December 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

No lateral movement should be allowed while air born. You go Up, Forward, Back, Rotate (max. 180) and Down. Jumping sideways would quickly promote pop-tarting and anyone who played the older version knows how that worked out. Badly...

LL solved that by adding the perceived 'feel' of the Mech pilot suddenly being pulled into their seat, which also shakes the crosshair and cockpit view. Jumping 'up' is more akin to pop-tarting, jumping quickly in strafing motions is useful against direct fire or quick movements to lose missile tracking. The kind of depth and useability is really lacking with jump jets.

Some Mech jumpjets, like those on the Spider, are described as being omni-directional in flight.

Edited by General Taskeen, 14 December 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#30 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 12 December 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

I'm sorry but if the military found a way to attach retrorockets to tanks to help them clear obstacles you can bet your *** that they'd require directional control including lateral movement and velocity modulation.

#31 Szaesse

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Personally, I rather like the OP's idea. However, I have a few slight adjustments to suggest.

1 - If you are standing still (no movement at all), jumping sends you straight up. This way, you can perform basically vertical jumps.
2 - Jumping is performed at a speed PERCENTAGE. If you are moving at full run forward, you will jump forward at 100% of your movement speed. If you are reversing at full, jumping will propel you backward at 100% of your movement speed. In this case, a Jenner that can move 120 kph, you charge your jump jets to full and propel yourself forward 150 meters at 120 kph. If the same Jenner is in full reverse, he can fully charge his jets to jump backwards 150 meters at 120 kph.
3 - When you charge your jump jets, you will always travel the the full possible distance. So if you perform a 5 bar charge of your 5 jump jets while standing still, you would jump straight up at your full jump capacity.
4 - Add jump controls to Q and E, allowing for sideways jumps. If you are holding the E button when you release your jump key, you will jump to the right, for example. This would function similar to W and S. If you hold E while standing still, you could propel yourself at full speed to the right, but if you just tap it slightly, you might only jump sideways by 10% speed

This would unlock amazing positioning and control over jumping. It would also make jump-jet equipped units surprisingly agile and mobile. These units might be rather difficult to lock on with missiles. They might be able to use their jets to dodge missiles. Taking a chassis that can mount jump jets (and taking the criticals and tonnage required to mount them) could make for a very powerful choice, even at the sacrifice of the extra weapons or armor the non-jumping mech would have.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users