Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

23 replies to this topic

#1 Bloodscourge

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

Strongly considering one of these beasts as I deeply miss my old Thrustmaster Pro.

Anyone here using one of these? Or using one of these with pedals?

Wondering what it would take to get it working before I pull the trigger *evil laugh* on it.

Thanks!

#2 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Joystick support is currently not at the top of PGI's priority list. Leg turning is still a digital (all-or-nothing) affair, just as if you were using the A and D keys on your keyboard.

That being said, somebody has been working around that via Thrustmaster's T.A.R.G.E.T. profiling software. Whether you want to go to that much trouble, only you can say. If so, you'll need to do some digging in the forums.

With the TM HOTAS Warthog costing as much as it does, I wouldn't drop the $$$ on it yet if you only plan to use it with MW:O. If you have combat flight sims, like the DCS series, also on your agenda... then yes... knock yourself out, and maybe you'll even be able to get it to behave the way you want in MW:O... at least eventually. Maybe. And yes... since that stick is not a twisty stick, you'll probably want pedals to use with it.

#3 Acid Phreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,719 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNiedersachsen

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

take a cheap T.Flight HOTAS X ideal for a HOTAS+mouse combo and working fine and no pedal needed!

Edited by Acid Phreak, 11 December 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#4 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Guess what. The BEAST arrived 4 hours ago. Warthog serial no 15413 reported for duty. Now there was a review in the old joystick thread, so I will fill in what was not mentioned.
Potentially stiff throws: As an Thrustmaster owner from the f22 through the Cougar I can tell you it is pretty much on a par with a non modded cougar. The throws should be manageable, but if you game 8 hours flat, I would have my friendly PT instructor draw up an exercise routine for you first. Say 120 push ups in 2 minutes with the Warthog on your back.
Far more important: Stick slop - none.You should also be able to yank and crank within reason without needing to fasten the BEAST to the table permanently.These were the two things I was very happy about.

Software: I have not dug into it, but the script editor made me go EWWWWW. But that is simply because I am used to the Cougar way of doing things. The average user should usually not ever have to touch any of the more advanced scripting features, but that is where TM traditionally excels. The Graphics editor offers the commonly used options of using a shift button and different responses on Press and Release of a button. For those of you who like modern point and click, well it does that TYVM.

Very important may be the features related to axis response shaping, deadzones and so on. This felt very unfamiliar to me as a Cougar user, the feel of doing this has changed completely, being wizard driven in the Graphical editor. These features should enable you to squeeze every bit of responsiveness you need out of the beast, and what the Cougar did this guy can do.

The buttons feel solid, but take a bit of effort to push. If you like the feel of buttons similar to a mouse, I would look at CH Products. It is only an opinion, but I do feel you might lose a split second or so to a mouse user until you adjust. If I were PGI, I would recommend that they pay great attention to the feel of the buttons on the Artemis.

For MWO I think a feel more like a gaming mouse might make a lot of difference. Above all crisp, clear tactile feedback. This would set the Artemis apart from the Warthog as a bonus.

Why would I buy it?

Star Citizen is slated to offer a space sim with joystick support.

The golden oldie European Air War is still under community development and can now handle 3 controllers and also has Hi Resolution skins to suit. The guys are helpful and will do anything to set you up with a legal copy -a pre requisite as Atari owns the rights. They are on simhq.

A little known gem called Oolite (O-bject Oriented Elite) which is freeware and modeled in the spirit of the BBC classic also supports 3 controllers. More than 30 years after the fact I get to enjoy it with an analog joystick

Then there is the freeware classic Free Allegiance which is a highly tactical space flight sim. Just mind your manners on the forums, though, if you are curious about them

Those were the reasons that made me decide I would get plenty of use out of JS over the next few years in the MMO scene, since I am not subject to a local government with XX chromosomes I did not even need to enter into any onerous bilateral trade agreement.

Please, if you have specific questions on the Warthog, fire away. I will be glad to detail my experience.

#5 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostHammerhai, on 14 December 2012 - 10:45 AM, said:

... since I am not subject to a local government with XX chromosomes I did not even need to enter into any onerous bilateral trade agreement.

LOL !!! Well put!

Have you looked at the DCS A10C simulator? [ It detects the TM Warthog controller and automatically configures the sim for it. ]

#6 Bloodscourge

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

Guess what. The BEAST arrived 4 hours ago. Warthog serial no 15413 reported for duty. Now there was a review in the old joystick thread, so I will fill in what was not mentioned.
Potentially stiff throws: As an Thrustmaster owner from the f22 through the Cougar I can tell you it is pretty much on a par with a non modded cougar. The throws should be manageable, but if you game 8 hours flat, I would have my friendly PT instructor draw up an exercise routine for you first. Say 120 push ups in 2 minutes with the Warthog on your back.
Far more important: Stick slop - none.You should also be able to yank and crank within reason without needing to fasten the BEAST to the table permanently.These were the two things I was very happy about.

Software: I have not dug into it, but the script editor made me go EWWWWW. But that is simply because I am used to the Cougar way of doing things. The average user should usually not ever have to touch any of the more advanced scripting features, but that is where TM traditionally excels. The Graphics editor offers the commonly used options of using a shift button and different responses on Press and Release of a button. For those of you who like modern point and click, well it does that TYVM.

Very important may be the features related to axis response shaping, deadzones and so on. This felt very unfamiliar to me as a Cougar user, the feel of doing this has changed completely, being wizard driven in the Graphical editor. These features should enable you to squeeze every bit of responsiveness you need out of the beast, and what the Cougar did this guy can do.

The buttons feel solid, but take a bit of effort to push. If you like the feel of buttons similar to a mouse, I would look at CH Products. It is only an opinion, but I do feel you might lose a split second or so to a mouse user until you adjust. If I were PGI, I would recommend that they pay great attention to the feel of the buttons on the Artemis.

For MWO I think a feel more like a gaming mouse might make a lot of difference. Above all crisp, clear tactile feedback. This would set the Artemis apart from the Warthog as a bonus.

Why would I buy it?

Star Citizen is slated to offer a space sim with joystick support.

The golden oldie European Air War is still under community development and can now handle 3 controllers and also has Hi Resolution skins to suit. The guys are helpful and will do anything to set you up with a legal copy -a pre requisite as Atari owns the rights. They are on simhq.

A little known gem called Oolite (O-bject Oriented Elite) which is freeware and modeled in the spirit of the BBC classic also supports 3 controllers. More than 30 years after the fact I get to enjoy it with an analog joystick

Then there is the freeware classic Free Allegiance which is a highly tactical space flight sim. Just mind your manners on the forums, though, if you are curious about them

Those were the reasons that made me decide I would get plenty of use out of JS over the next few years in the MMO scene, since I am not subject to a local government with XX chromosomes I did not even need to enter into any onerous bilateral trade agreement.

Please, if you have specific questions on the Warthog, fire away. I will be glad to detail my experience.

Dude you rock!

And yes I am also a founder for Star Citizen and that IS factoring into my considering this Stick and Throttle ><_<

That is what I was hoping to hear and I think that you just pushed me over the edge !!!

I may have more questions once I have this 14lbs beast in me meaty paws!

BTW since you are in the same boat as I ....

I am also looking to replace my craptastic plastic desk which while 6' wide is a warped POS cheap *** work table;p

It wont be out till next year but have a look at the Obutto R3volution I fully plan on getting that when it is avaliable as well and looks to be a good starting point to build a cockpit as well B)

#7 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

I forgot to add: Apart from OOlite which is community driven David Braben is on Kickstarter floating a project called Elite:Dangerous as an official follow on to Elite. This means MMO in space with your trusty iron ***! Cannot wait.

And glad to be of service.

#8 Romulus Stahl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationStormhead, Loburg, Alarion Province

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

It's a great stick (I also own the F22/TQS/RCS and Cougar)
The throttle works great, right throttle mapped in game left throttle turned off. I've tried both fwd/rev directional mode and power with invert direction button, chose fwd/rev with a large deadzone mapped in TARGET.
Toggles are great for things like TAG as you can flip a switch and the laser stays on.
TARGET is the way to go, the script editor being more powerful and uses a smaller foot print.
Stick wise I was able to get azimuth working well, elevation is still an issue, I still use the mouse for pointing for this reason.

Also running a set of Combat pedals (steering), Cougar MFDs, and a Genovation USB keypad.

I've also bought a few packages on Star Citizen (spent more there than I have on MWO)

Edited by Romulus Stahl, 15 December 2012 - 05:22 AM.

#9 GrimrodTheRuKus

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationEast coast

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

View PostBloodscourge, on 14 December 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Dude you rock!

And yes I am also a founder for Star Citizen and that IS factoring into my considering this Stick and Throttle > :angry:

That is what I was hoping to hear and I think that you just pushed me over the edge !!!

I may have more questions once I have this 14lbs beast in me meaty paws!

BTW since you are in the same boat as I ....

I am also looking to replace my craptastic plastic desk which while 6' wide is a warped POS cheap *** work table;p

It wont be out till next year but have a look at the Obutto R3volution I fully plan on getting that when it is avaliable as well and looks to be a good starting point to build a cockpit as well :blush:

Now this is what i'm taking about! Will make the perfect Xmas present for me! i Miss the glory days of a good thrustmater JS when defeating the Dire Wolf's by blowing off thier armored legs with PPC's and running or flying like hell to avoid blowback! I didn't see anything on the main page about JS's; only keyboard and mouse and for me I was like "Ewww what?" Seems I will have to step my game up being surrounded by so many "Pros!".... Thanks for the info cause i was nervous for a second!

#10 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

View PostBloodscourge, on 14 December 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

It wont be out till next year but have a look at the Obutto R3volution I fully plan on getting that when it is avaliable as well and looks to be a good starting point to build a cockpit as well :blush:

There are several people over on the SimHQ forums that have the R3volution. It looks to be a top notch piece of kit!

#11 Sergei Smirnov

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

View PostBloodscourge, on 11 December 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

Strongly considering one of these beasts as I deeply miss my old Thrustmaster Pro.

Anyone here using one of these? Or using one of these with pedals?

Wondering what it would take to get it working before I pull the trigger *evil laugh* on it.

Thanks!

I have the Thrustmaster Warthog and CH Pro Pedals. It's a great setup. The HOTAS is solid metal construction (which is very nice). There are more than enough toggles and buttons to play with configuring to your style. I will say however that at this point in time, MWO can't handle this controller's awesomeness.

I tried configuring it several different ways (which is a pain in itself as there doesn't seem to be a "clear all" function) though can't get it to perform to its full potential. The Throttle is inverted, the joystick is not (when I play with a joystick, I want an inverted Y axis), and many of the buttons, hats, cursors, slides, etc. aren't recognized properly. Additionally, the in game option of "invert Y axis" only applies to the mouse?

In conclusion, the HOTAS Warthog is worth the money, but MWO needs significant controller support for this (and other) setup(s) to work properly.

#12 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Sergei, try the following commands, pasted in your user.cfg in your game dir.

cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0
cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 1
cl_joystick_invert_pitch = 1
That will invert all the axes necessary, This still has to be done by hand. throttle range is a command that gives you neutral in the middle, so you pull back to reverse, push forward to accel. Try it and read the thread by Paul Inouye for joystick gain and sensitivity settings to start off with. May the Schwartz be with you.

#13 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Oh btw if you run the TARGET GUI your button assignments are different as part of the throttle and part of the joystick are combined into one virtual device. What is left over you can ONLY program with Keypresses via software. You can try running PPJoyJoy, but on WIN 7 x64 I had no luck getting it to run.

#14 Sergei Smirnov

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

Thanks Hammerhai. I'll have to try that out.

I actually have most of the buttons emulated through an external program, so any keys that can't be assigned in game can be manually assigned externally. I tried running TARGET, but it's not very user friendly. How do you combine the HOTAS (or is this done automaticallly)? This would be useful as I recently installed X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and it can only recognize one device as it's an old game. I was able to run some of the commands externally, though the throttle wouldn't behave properly.

Thanks again.

#15 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:38 AM

It runs the thrustmaster devices as one virtual device automatically, probably based on what is attached
And remember to set cl_joystick_gain and cl_joystick_sentivity according to the instructions by Paul Inouye in the thread ATTENTION ALL JOYSTICK USERS before you experiment.

PM me if you get stuck, I am not that hot but will try to help

#16 ODonovan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationMWO is still incomplete, after YEARS!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

View PostAcid Phreak, on 11 December 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

take a cheap T.Flight HOTAS X ideal for a HOTAS+mouse combo and working fine and no pedal needed!

I bought one of these and am going to sell it unused. It doesn't have enough buttons on the stick, for one. Also, if you twist the stick to the left (counterclockwise) and push it forward and to the left, your right thumb is in the way of the throttle...VERY poor design.

-Irish

#17 Giant Bob

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationRoute 66

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

I chickened out on the Warthog model and got the "X" model instead for 1/10th the cost, as a trial balloon. My early days on MW3D with Thrustmaster pedals and stick(s) were the sweetest of my gaming career. I wore out 2 sets of pedals. I'd thought Thrustmaster was out of business until being tipped off about MWO by my PC vendor. Will be watching closely as to pedal/stick/throttle ideas. Never used the throttle before in previous iterations of MW or "Heavy Gear"

#18 Oggii

• PipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 22 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFt. Wainwright, AK

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

I haven't tried mine w/ MWO yet, I've got the cougar MFCD's and the CH Pedals as well. I need to see if I can't configure the MFD's for different weapons profiles, bringing up the map, etc. Shouldn't be TOO terribly difficult, we shall see!

#19 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

According to the patch notes analog turning was to be implemented but seems to have got kicked. /le sigh.
Well, maybe later ...

#20 Ikester

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 91 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

The throttle seems to work like analog from 0 to 100% incrementally. I can push throttle slightly and my speed in slow. the throttle stick works the same in reverse (when I pull back from center)

Turning (not torso) is not incremental, as it is one speed (like tapping the a or d key. Torso twist is the same as turning. Once those two items act more analog, I will be a happy Mechwarrior.

Thank you IPG for the training grounds so I can test my T-Flight HOTAS without ignoring my team mates.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users