85 replies to this topic

#21 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

I don't 8 man much now because since the patch I CTD 1 out 5 times in an 8 man group, 1 out 10 in a 4 man and 1 out 20 solo. Gets tiring to gimp my team mates every 5 matches.

-People are working (not that many Euros playing either I would guess)
-People are at school
-They skipped another patch week
-Hawken just went Open Beta

#22 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

I have plenty of time to play during the day, but most of the people that I know are unable to play during the work/school hours. We do a decent amount of 8 mans in the evening, but even then it can be hard to have a full group due to many of our players being in vastly different time zones (1 in Germany, 1 in England, some in California, some on the east coast, and so on).

And many of my friends are playing WarZ and other games as well, but they will all be back for Community Warfare, or so they say. (I believe them)

#23 AlanEsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostMechwarrior0311, on 12 December 2012 - 08:47 AM, said:

DDC trains are ruining 8 mans.

They should remove ECM from the Atlas DDC and leave it only to Scouts if you want my honest opinion. If they want a slower mech with ECM to benefit brawlers, put it on a Centurion. They need love anyway if you ask me, and I don't play them, I just destroy them often.

Or leave it in the DDC and just get rid of ECM stacking, so one scout ECM can run through and counter the stack of DDCs.

#24 Lyteros

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

Remember when some smart people tried to tell everyone why this 8v8 idea sucks and will not work, and why we need a proper ELO matchmaking and fix all those game breaking bugs before getting more swag?
The guys who were mocked, ignored and bitched about all day long and told "it's beta"?

Why not blaming them now too, just to close the circle?

Edited by Lyteros, 12 December 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#25 Fais

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

We didnt have any trouble getting an 8v8 match last night from 7pm to Midnight EST. I enjoying 8v8 much more then any pug match, but it defintly needs to have the rewards increased. You not improving your experience or credit pool much when doing 8v8, and I see allot of people still trying to finish different designs.

Its not uncommon in WOT to see team play empty during certain times of the day. So it wouldnt suprise me to see them empty in the morning. They even have 10's of thousands of players on at same time in pug matches.

Edited by Fais, 12 December 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#26 Mancu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

Wouldn't it be nice if PGI actually let you see how many teams were currently in que...

#27 Sevaradan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

was running 8v8 this morning 0800-1100 cst and had no issues getting matches.

#28 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

Here's why:
  • It's work time in the US (as other have said)
  • A lack of any kind of match making in the 8 mans led to a rapidly homogenizing meta, leading to rather uninspired assault mech heavy game play
  • The clear advantage of ECM vs. no ECM led to the sever reduction in utility of support weapons and has encourage the running of nothing but the 4 mech variants that have it, primarily the D-DC and 3L.
  • Many people not wanting to deal with the above have walked away from the game until some of all of it is resolved.
  • Some people realizing what the 8 man meta was driven to went back to pug 4-man to either grind for the power mechs or have a chance to relax and try new things.
  • The 8 man setup is hard to maintain unless you have several people waiting so it's easier to maintain a constant rate of playing the game with four or less players.
So in short, the 8 man was not implemented in away that encouraged people to use it en-masse for any length of time and a no-brainer ECM broke it further.

Edited by Agent of Change, 12 December 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#29 Fais

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostMancu, on 12 December 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

Wouldn't it be nice if PGI actually let you see how many teams were currently in que...

Or even a flag that someone is ready to field a team ect... So teams could make contact to setup matches in non peak times.

#30 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostMancu, on 12 December 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

That would be embarrassing. I don't mind dropping against the same teams but still.

-k

#31 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostAgent of Change, on 12 December 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

Here's why:
  • It's work time in the US (as other have said)
  • A lack of any kind of match making in the 8 mans led to a rapidly homogenizing meta, leading to rather uninspired assault mech heavy game play
  • The clear advantage of ECM vs. no ECM led to the sever reduction in utility of support weapons and has encourage the running of nothing but the 4 mech variants that have it, primarily the D-DC and 3L.
  • Many people not wanting to deal with the above have walked away from the game until some of all of it is resolved.
  • Some people realizing what the 8 man meta was driven to went back to pug 4-man to either grind for the power mechs or have a chance to relax and try new things.
  • The 8 man setup is hard to maintain unless you have several people waiting so it's easier to maintain a constant rate of playing the game with four or less players.
So in short, the 8 man was not implemented in away that encouraged people to use it en-masse for any length of time and a no-brainer ECM broke it further.

This. And also Planetside and Hawken. We have enough for a team of 6-7 every night but we can't get a match like that. So we're not playing MWO. Christ the paranoid qq out there that implies that noone organised is playing this game because you can't pubstomp is beyond belief. The game is just tedious and will be until there are new gametypes and an mm structure that rewards full drops. Not holding my breath.

Oh - and regional servers. I couldn't make most of the UK/Euro peeps on our comms play this game now if I paid them.

#32 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

I think the lack of drop limits on 8v8 makes them unpopular. I'm much happier dropping into a PUG with my Catapult knowing that the other team will have a heavy mech to match. But the fact that any 8 will match against any 8 at the moment, and you lose a lot of people that don't want to get stuck in a stupidly off balance match.

#33 Child3k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

View PostFais, on 12 December 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

You not improving your experience or credit pool much when doing 8v8, [...]

Why is that? I haven't played 8-premades since they were reintroduced to the game - so I can't tell from my own experience but am kinda curious to know ...

#34 Fais

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

All these people ranting about ECM and the DDC's ect.. Man we are totally wiping most of the heavy DDC teams. I admit you need to have some ECM, but allot of these people screaming about imbalances just need more practice. Finding the balance in a group that can play well on all the maps is a not easy to do but I can only think of 1 map right now where teams with alot of DDC's has an advantage.

#35 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

View PostBuckminster, on 12 December 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

I think the lack of drop limits on 8v8 makes them unpopular. I'm much happier dropping into a PUG with my Catapult knowing that the other team will have a heavy mech to match. But the fact that any 8 will match against any 8 at the moment, and you lose a lot of people that don't want to get stuck in a stupidly off balance match.

Which is pretty much every game in 8 on 8s. I still try to get into them when I can and when we have enough players who are going to be on long enough to make a good run of it. We take it as a learning experience even if we lose that we were able to damage up an Atlas heavy team so badly with a theoretically highly outgunned and out tonned mech lineup.

-k

View PostChild3k, on 12 December 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

Why is that? I haven't played 8-premades since they were reintroduced to the game - so I can't tell from my own experience but am kinda curious to know ...

C bills yes, XP no. You aren't going to gain much in XP running against teams who are min/maxed to take advantage of the current state of 8v8, however, these teams do themselves a great disservice in the long run by playing and practicing under these conditions. ECM and MM will likely change and the teams who have played together with their preferred mechs will be stronger then.

-k

#36 Fais

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

View PostChild3k, on 12 December 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

Matches are longer, people bring their best (artemis expensive), allot bigger chance your going to loose vs going PUG for most people that have the resources to field and 8 man team. .

#37 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

I'd at least like to have the option of filling in our team with randoms if we don't have 8. It really sucks to have to break group because one guy has to leave and 8 are required for the drop.

-k

#38 197mmCannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Go-cho
  • Go-cho
  • 265 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostSI The Joker, on 12 December 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

Exactly. This is work time for adults, school time for the kiddies.

So no one plays this game during business hours?

#39 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

View PostInertiaman, on 12 December 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

We have enough for a team of 6-7 every night but we can't get a match like that.
So why not ask someone external to join you? I believe the unofficial TS was thrown around long enough back when PUGs complained about getting stomped, so why not make use of the same method now to gain those missing 1-2 players?

I for one had much less one-sided fights, and thus more fun, ever since the segregated queues were implemented and I no longer have to face organized 8 man teams whilst simultaneously being impaired by a lack of communication on part of my own team.

Ideally, this game should have a pool of players who are looking to join 8 man teams without becoming a fixed part of whatever unit it is, so said outfits can draw upon these people whenever someone on their side is missing. In other words, the game really needs a lobby.

#40 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

Because we're all friends, have been playing as part of a loose community for over ten years and don't really want to have to go through a nightly recruitment process and give the person our private mumble details just to play a few rounds of mwo. Instead we can just play planetside and enjoy bullets that damage things they hit. Honestly the quality of the gameplay currently is as big a problem for us as the mm itself.

But Ideally - this game would matchmake groups of any size and fill in the blanks. Also it would offer the choice of drop weight sizes and have some sort of buddy system that allows you to keep in touch with randoms you enjoy playing with but meh....can't have everything you want. Although for some reason it wasn't a problem in warcraft 3 over ten years ago.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users