Rethinking Lasers Accuracy

4 replies to this topic

#1 Krinkov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

I based my changes around the large laser because it seems the most balanced right now. Heat levels have not been changed. This is just about balancing accuracy.

Weapon_______Beam Duration____Recycle
Small laser_________2.00_________1.00
Medium laser_______1.50_________2.50
large laser_________1.00_________3.25
ER large laser______0.75_________3.50

Small pulse_________1.00________1.75
Medium pulse_______0.75________3.00
large pulse_________0.50________3.50

laser dps remains the same but the shorter the range of the laser the more its damage is spread around. This gives the larger lasers a similar benefit to what they had in TT.

Not only should larger lasers have extended max range, they should be easy to hit with at close range. This simulates the +hit modifiers a long range weapon gets due to having a larger short range distance.

This would be a drastic change but I believe it would bring some balance to the fast moving high alpha lights and mediums. The alpha would remain the same but the damage would be spread over multiple areas.

This would also make pulse lasers a viable choice for close range. Right now they don't provide much benefit for the heat they produce. With this modification pulse lasers will be 50% more accurate at hitting the intended target area.

Edited by Krinkov, 13 December 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#2 Syllogy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

Devs are already looking into increasing the damage of Large Lasers of all 3 varieties, as well as reducing their heat generation.

#3 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

I really like the idea of making the larger beams have much greater reduction in firing time.

But the numbers you posted up really hurts the Small Laser a lot. But it is a step in the right direction.

All Lasers should have a duration of 1.0s.

All Pulse Lasers should have a duration of 0.5s.

All ER Lasers should be 0.75s.

This makes regular lasers spread more damage for less heat. ER Lasers has reduced damage spread and at greater range for much higher heat. Pulse Lasers spreads damage the least for less range and greater heat.

Edited by Zyllos, 13 December 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#4 Martin Gray

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

I think the lasers are fine as is. The autocannons and particle projection cannon need to be made better. The Autocannon 5, 10, 20 and P.P.C. need the projectile speed increased.

#5 Krinkov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

I actually like where the auto-cannon velocity is at right now. With both the ac-5 and ac-20 you can reliably hit a mech at max effective range. As they get closer you can pick out an individual section. At 270 meters it is hard to hit a side torso on a moving mech with the ac-20. However, at that range you can keep the ac-5 on a side torso easily. I would like to see lasers function in a similar fashion. At 90 meters it should be hard to keep all the damage of a small laser on a single armor section. It should be just as hard to keep a medium laser on target at 270 meters and a large at 450 meters.

This would allow us to have our high speed medium mechs back and it would make piloting lights harder. The 100+ kph 4p wouldn't be as much of a threat if its 9 small lasers needed to be held on target for 2 seconds. Also, a jenner wouldn't be able to core an atlas in 9 seconds at 140+ kph. This could potentially make true double heatsinks not op for light mechs.

TL;DR: This change could let us get rid of engine limits and bring back true double heatsinks.

Edited by Krinkov, 13 December 2012 - 05:46 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users