Who plays the Clanners Part 2 - How to select a Clanner.

49 replies to this topic

Poll: How should who gets to play the clans be handled? (134 member(s) have cast votes)

How to choose who gets to be Clan.

1. Real money purchase? (Oh He*l no, please no!) (2 votes [1.49%])

Percentage of vote: 1.49%

2. Trial of position? (daily/weekly etc) (41 votes [30.60%])

Percentage of vote: 30.60%

3. Open to all. (no restrictions) (27 votes [20.15%])

Percentage of vote: 20.15%

4. Open to all. (But begins 6 months before invasion (clan v clan until invasion and then a trial to be able to attack the inner sphere) ) (41 votes [30.60%])

Percentage of vote: 30.60%

5. Don't let players play clan. (I know very unlikely but for balance it needs to be in the Poll.) (23 votes [17.16%])

Percentage of vote: 17.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Cifu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary, EU

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

View PostKudzu, on 08 November 2011 - 11:20 AM, said:

Well, we already know that as you progress up the tree and gain exp your pilot gets better, so just factor that into the base bv of any mech. Much like in TT an Atlas piloted by a 3/4 pilot costs more bv than an Atlas piloted by a 4/5 pilot. If done right with a lot of testing it could actually turn out to be an excellent balancing tool.

If you progress up, and gain XP, that's not represent YOUR gaming skill, it's only represent you get more XP. You can be really skilled and good player, but have limited time, the other player are far less skilled, but have much more time to play. He get the equal level of XP. That's a problem, but not what i'm try to point out.

The Trial are means the better players get the chance to become clanner.

If the Clanner option are based only statistic / XP based, then the BV won't need to represent the pilot skill.

#42 Risen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:50 PM

The active number of clan pilots should be limited, they have the best "toys" after all. And it should be thought about to prohibit the mixture of clan and IS equipment in mechs i.e. a Warhammer will not wield 2 Clan-ER-PPCs, just the regular IS ER-PPCs (if he likes).

I voted for "not playable" btw. which will not be possible, sadly enough...a skill based trial of position would be great including regular tests to at least keep your position, but as a good clanner you will give everything to improve your last results! It would be nice if command positions could only be recieved by kicking another clan player of his spot (defeating him in combat).

just my 2 cents :)

#43 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

View PostCifu, on 08 November 2011 - 11:55 AM, said:

If you progress up, and gain XP, that's not represent YOUR gaming skill, it's only represent you get more XP. You can be really skilled and good player, but have limited time, the other player are far less skilled, but have much more time to play. He get the equal level of XP. That's a problem, but not what i'm try to point out.

The Trial are means the better players get the chance to become clanner.

If the Clanner option are based only statistic / XP based, then the BV won't need to represent the pilot skill.

If they actually go with a trial to earn it, and make it difficult enough to actually represent only the truly skilled, then it would just be a matter of a baseline bv increase to all clan mechs. Like I said before, very rigorous testing would be needed during the beta process, but eventually you can come up with a workable (not perfect, but realistic and usable for our purposes) system.

#44 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

Mech4 Solaris style competion. You win, you in with the Clans. You lose, come back next time.
A pay system to enter would not be a bad idea. If you are willing to pay to compete for it, you will not abandon it.
It would also identify for the game managers who is available to play Clanners at what time. Using me as an example, with my work schedule, don't plan on me playing on Saturday due to needing to work in order to keep the lights on.
But if I pay to win a Clan position on, say Tuesday, it is a safe bet I will be there.

And it would identify to me who would be available for me to team with at those times that I am able to play.

#45 Sym

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:03 AM

A trial of position is the way the Clans picked their warriors, so let it stand here. Natural selection.

If not, then everyone would be a clanner and leave money out of it. Very unclans like.

Edited by Sym, 14 February 2012 - 07:05 AM.

#46 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

Each Clan is going to vet their warriors in their own way. My clan is not lessened because others do not spend the time and effort to train their warriors to the same standard. If some Falcon or Wolf falls, what is it to me and my clan?

I am confident in my training and the trials I have gone through to test out as a warrior in MW:LL.

If, and ONLY IF, my clan decides I should be tested out again in MW:O, would I have any interest in mandatory trials.

Dead Wolves and Falcons not only have no bearing on me and mine, but amuse us. Let each Clan take care of their own.

Cheers,

~SJ~ Mad3D --Just a regular old CSJ warrior, one of many.

#47 Phelan Adam Davion

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

The Developers should grant the Gamers a maximum of freedom in their choice of how to play...

I think its the best way, to start the game confronted with the decision: IS Force or CLAN ?

Per Account you can only play an IS Career or a Clanners Life... if you want both: you need two Accounts.

If you take an IS House you play inside the Inner Sphere till the SLDF visit the homeworlds...

If you take a Clan you play outside the Inner Sphere if you are not doing the Invasion or hold invaded planets against their resistance.

but beneath this; there must be a possibility to just play simple Death Matches (etc.) on extra servers outside the main plot to just have some quick fun sometimes...

As we all know from Mechwarrior4: The Gamers themselves will develop a running practical league system.

Clan Tech is in the beginning far better than IS Tech... but the Clans are outnumbered by IS Forces...
So if you always put 12 IS Mechs and 10 Clan Mechs on the map, it would be balanced.
- of course not for personal highscores but for the teams.

#48 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

Probably a good idea to let them in a little bit early and start letting them have fun trials/etc, get them acquainted with their machines/etc so we can have a really fun fluster clock for the actual Clan Invasion B)

#49 DragonClaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

i think the clans should be open and let them do their thing in thier space until the invasion starts.

#50 Fury1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationWaiting for the perfect moment...to STRIKE!

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

I think it should be open, it will regulate its self. Not everyone likes the Clans, and not everyone likes IS. The idea of gamiong is for it to be fun, how fun would it be if you dont like the IS but you have to play as IS or the opposite? We have a great community and all share a love for BT/MW, lets keep the numbers increasing, it will do nothing but benefit us with more new idea's and games. Just my .2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users