Heavy/assault Support

28 replies to this topic

#21 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:16 AM

View PostMucia Prata, on 17 December 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

I might go ahead and give the CN9-A a try.

Using those mechs feels awkward to me, because I have one free hand that just...does nothing. I'm like, "what am I using this hand for? I wish I could punch a mech with it or something."

I understand in the universe the hands are there for more than aesthetic purposes, just sucks they are useless in this game. :)

Edit: Went ahead and bought a Centurion CN9-A. Named it "Horatius." In this mech, I declare, I will be like Hoartius at the Bridge!

I'm not sure if I did it well though. I didn't increase the armor at all. I changed the structure to Endo-Steel, was going to change to Ferros, but that took up way too many slots.

My loadout is:
2 ML
1AC/10 (2 ammo)
2 SRM6 (2 ammo)
1 SRM2
10 Heat Sinks
STD Engine 200

Speed: 64.8
Firepower: 55
Heat Efficiency: .88
Armor - Standard: 272

I won't even be able to increase my engine really, since I don't have the tonnage.

Any help on making this a good short-range support mech.

Get 2 shield hands and run 3x srm6 with 4t of ammo, 2x mlas, 14 DHS, 250 standard. 55dmg alpha on a 50 ton mech running 87.x km/h.

Edited by Budor, 18 December 2012 - 02:21 AM.

#22 Mucia Prata

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

View PostBudor, on 18 December 2012 - 02:16 AM, said:

Get 2 shield hands and run 3x srm6 with 4t of ammo, 2x mlas, 14 DHS, 250 standard. 55dmg alpha on a 50 ton mech running 87.x km/h.

Am I going to need to tweak down my armor for that?

I just spent the 1.5mil for DHS.

My current engine is a STD 200, which weighs 11.5t. If I upgrade to a 250, I'm going to need to find an extra 7t of room on my mech. To fit another SRM6 on there, I'm going to need to find an extra 2 tons. I'll need another 4 ton for four more DHS.

But you're saying "get two shield hands." Are you saying replace my AC/10 with a shield hand? If so, how the frak do I do that?

#23 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

View PostMucia Prata, on 18 December 2012 - 02:35 AM, said:

But you're saying "get two shield hands." Are you saying replace my AC/10 with a shield hand? If so, how the frak do I do that?

Yes, he is saying to dump the AC10 in favour of torso mounted SRMs and MLAS. The second shield hand is just his cheeky way of saying to leave the right arm empty. If it's empty, it's expendable right?

Don't be too quick to write the idea off. Before ECM my favourite build with the CN9-A was 3 SSRM2s, 2MPLAS, and a 260 STD. Great light hunter and could infuriate heavies. Now that ECM is so pervasive, it pays to stick with the dumb fire SRMs. But hey, they pack a huge punch, you can flank an Atlas and strip its back easily.

Edited by Wrenchfarm, 18 December 2012 - 03:02 AM.

#24 Mucia Prata

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

Thanks for all the tips.

I decided I want to have a mech that's a little bit my own, while taking the advice. So I'm going to test this out once it's fully complete (I need about 1.4 million to get the engine I want), and see what I think.

Essentially the final product will be:
2MLs (not pulse, not really fond of pulse, and don't want to drop anything for the extra weight it costs)
1 machine gun (I know it's not all that useful, but I wanted some use out of the ballistic slot, and having that little bit of extra punch will be nice I'm sure. I have it set up on its own FG, but I also have it set up to fire with my lasers so it just adds to the laser damage)
1 AMS (I use this for my own benefit, but also to help out the heavies I'm protecting)
14 DHS
3 SRM6 (4tons of ammo)
STD 225 (This is a work in progress, since I need to buy it. It'll give me slightly faster speed than the 200, and then faster with the Speed Tweak. I don't need to be terribly fast with what I want to do with this mech, so that's fine. My only thing would be faster turning, which will be better with the 225, plus Twist Speed, which I already got.)
272 armor (Standard, structure is Endo-Steel)

So a little mix of what was suggested, plus my own little additions to make it mine.

Edited by Mucia Prata, 18 December 2012 - 03:47 AM.

#25 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

Good news, if you buy a centurion 9d, it comes with a 300xl. Great chassis.

#26 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

I always put a machin gun in my A when i had the tonnage :( the sound is great and i hate it to get hit constantly ("ARGH ITS FLASHING I TAKE DMG! HYEEEEEELP!") so i like to think that others hate it to.

Btw. i am not only trying to fit a standard 250 engine in my cents/hunches because of the speed but it has the side bonus of being the first engine that has 10 built in heatsinks. Those that are in the engine run with 2.0 and those that you add with 1.4.

Edited by Budor, 18 December 2012 - 05:16 AM.

#27 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

View PostMucia Prata, on 18 December 2012 - 03:43 AM, said:

Thanks for all the tips.

I decided I want to have a mech that's a little bit my own, while taking the advice. So I'm going to test this out once it's fully complete (I need about 1.4 million to get the engine I want), and see what I think.

Essentially the final product will be:
2MLs (not pulse, not really fond of pulse, and don't want to drop anything for the extra weight it costs)
1 machine gun (I know it's not all that useful, but I wanted some use out of the ballistic slot, and having that little bit of extra punch will be nice I'm sure. I have it set up on its own FG, but I also have it set up to fire with my lasers so it just adds to the laser damage)
1 AMS (I use this for my own benefit, but also to help out the heavies I'm protecting)
14 DHS
3 SRM6 (4tons of ammo)
STD 225 (This is a work in progress, since I need to buy it. It'll give me slightly faster speed than the 200, and then faster with the Speed Tweak. I don't need to be terribly fast with what I want to do with this mech, so that's fine. My only thing would be faster turning, which will be better with the 225, plus Twist Speed, which I already got.)
272 armor (Standard, structure is Endo-Steel)

So a little mix of what was suggested, plus my own little additions to make it mine.

Sounds like it should serve you well.

People very often underestimate centurions on the battlefield in favor of targeting assaults and heavies... when your packing 3x SRM6's, that can be a deadly mistake.

Just remember that the centurion CN9-A has missile bay doors. If you leave them in the default "closed" position, you'll have a 1-2 second firing delay when you pull the trigger for the missiles to fire. If you want to get rid of that delay, hit the "/" key to open/close your missile doors. There is an indicator light on your cockpit (on the frame of the cockpit) in the lower left by the center window that goes green when the bays are locked open, and yellow if they are closed.

edit - Also, be careful with your ammo. Store the SRM ammo in the legs, and the AMS / MG ammo in the center torso, or in the shoulder without the SRM's + Case. You don't want the ammo in either torso side without case, in case you lose that torso, which would make the ammo cook off and blow out your center torso.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 18 December 2012 - 07:43 AM.

#28 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

View PostMucia Prata, on 18 December 2012 - 03:43 AM, said:

Thanks for all the tips.

Essentially the final product will be:....

Awesome man, have fun! I might recommend a little more speed to REALLY squeeze the most out of the build, but I totally understand the impulse to experiment and make something your own. Looks like a solid build, I'm sure you will enjoy yourself!

#29 Mucia Prata

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

This is seriously my favorite gaming community now.

I have been part of a few betas, and I've never seen a community this supportive of new players, especially in open beta. Guild Wars 2 for me had the best gamer community of all, but this community blows it out of the water.

You know you're a gamer when you tell people your build, and expect criticism. Only to be surprised by everyone saying, "I think that'll suit you well" in some form or other. You guys are great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users