No Repair/rearm ... No Consequence For Playing Like A Doofus?

223 replies to this topic

#21 Landeraxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 293 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

So, throwing out realism and build-balancing is supposed to be a good thing?

I love the devs for making the best mechwarrior game to date. Kudos, much appreciation, and all of that.

BUT, please don't expect us die-hard Mechwarrior fans, who are looking for the gritty living-off-of-salvage, realistic-as-it-can-get gameplay, to celebrate you forcing the difficulty we all play under from "challenging" to "run-any-broke-***-mech-you-want-and-still-make-a-fortune".

I know you can't please everyone, and I understand that difficult choices must be made, but I hope this isn't your long-term solution.

Regards,

#22 Agent of Change

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

View PostAdeptus Odren, on 17 December 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

I don't know. As a casual player, I do like the removal of R&R for the daily grind. I will not, however, do stupid things because that would lead to stupid habits when community warfare comes around.

That leads me to my second point. I do hope they reintroduce R&R when community warfare starts since that would create a more immersive role-playing environment.

While i appreciate your point and encourage you to try to maintain that most will not. And more to the point unless you are one of the very small portion of the population that can manage that kind of dicsipline the lack of negative feedback will eventually lead to a slow backslide into bad habits. But more to the point expect it to be abused by people who have no interest in actually building and maintaining a skill set.

#23 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

Your views make me sad. How does no risk lead to tactical gameplay? What is the point of surviving now? With the 75% free repair and now 100% free repair this game is now officially 100% arcade and 0% sim.

#24 Adeptus Odren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 185 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

View PostEcres, on 17 December 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

This is a horrible idea. The RNR system was great, i'm sorry if your not able to run your Atlas thats pimped out with all the toys and make money.....guess what expensive equipment is expensive to fix. It was a balancing act between what good equipment I could run with while still being able to afford it, which is what it should be now you can just go buy what ever equipment you want because it's going to get magically fixed at no cost. Welcome back the days of broken builds that shouldn't be afordable but now are.

Based on the notes, it looks like we will be earning a lot less C-Bills in general with the removal of flat rewards. So there will still be a reward for good players and no rewards for bad players/suiciders. At the same time, it will remove the penalty for those who inadvertently crash to desktop or quit because of a screen bug, etc. I think removal of R&R is a good thing overall.

#25 Padic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

I never considered base capping to be "the objective" in Assault mode, but rather one of the three possible win conditions (and perhaps the most boring one). I like that capping can give a team hope of victory, even if behind on the mech count. I disliked that blind base trades were so much more profitable than actually confronting the enemy.

If tactics in the game suffer as a result of this change, it will be temporary. People will still play to win, and playing to win means playing smart.

The only thing I'm sad to see go is the immersion factor of having to worry about both your combat effectiveness and your bottom line.

#26 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

View PostManDaisy, on 17 December 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

I am kinda worried that the devs have scrapped repairs all together. Repair cost are what kept stupid people from running in and dying. Now that its gone I anticipate a lot of dumber players and suicide tactics.

No downside to having a Gauss blow up my Mech now so I don't need 2 CASEs Thats another heat sink!

#27 Landeraxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

View PostNoth, on 17 December 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

This actually encourages the game being balanced in gameplay, rather than out of gameplay by repair costs. That is a good thing and will lead to more variety in builds.

No, it won't. What it will lead to is optimized builds that everyone runs because ammo is free.

#28 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

View PostNoth, on 17 December 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

This actually encourages the game being balanced in gameplay, rather than out of gameplay by repair costs. That is a good thing and will lead to more variety in builds.

If you are saying the removing R&R will encourage variety... you are mistaken with the financial stick removed it will further encourage a hegemony of builds based around the 'flavor" of the month' that now anyone can run regardless of previous skill because it is consequence free.

Atlases....Atlases everywhere....

Edited by Agent of Change, 17 December 2012 - 10:29 AM.

#29 FerretGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

I love it! I've been calling for this for ages, and I almost feel like the devs listened to me! My ego is swelling! :)

Rather than repost what I said before to respond to the OP's concerns, here's the original thread:
http://mwomercs.com/...fk-farming-etc/

#30 Woky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

I think it may encourage good play more than discourage it. Coming with removal of RnR seems to be more player activity based rewards.

#31 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

Yes... another good point, why case? Why any sort of protection at all?

#32 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

I like it. Removes the whole weird 'pay to get paid to fight' thing, and along with that, the punishment for pulling off a victory by the skin of your teeth though badly bruised and bloodied, as opposed the the relative reward of getting your mech cockpitted early in the match and not having that huge repair bill.

#33 Adeptus Odren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 185 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

View PostJ4ckInthebox, on 17 December 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

the only positive thing that came out of it is that I can now run my SRM Retardapult with artemis.

You can still run it even with the current system and with minimal costs.

#34 Landeraxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

View PostAdeptus Odren, on 17 December 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

Based on the notes, it looks like we will be earning a lot less C-Bills in general with the removal of flat rewards. So there will still be a reward for good players and no rewards for bad players/suiciders. At the same time, it will remove the penalty for those who inadvertently crash to desktop or quit because of a screen bug, etc. I think removal of R&R is a good thing overall.

Removing rewards for things that needed to be done in game = bad idea. It does not encourage better play.

Removing costs for expensive builds = bad idea. Now their will come outrageous builds that eveyone will run because why not?

At least we got a new mech and new map...

#35 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

View PostLanderaxe, on 17 December 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

No, it won't. What it will lead to is optimized builds that everyone runs because ammo is free.

We already have optimized builds so nothing will change there.

View PostAgent of Change, on 17 December 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

If you are saying teh removing R&R will encourage variety... you are mistaken with teh financial stick removed it will futher encourage a hegemony of builds based around the 'flavor" of the month' that now anyone can run regardless of previous skill because it is consequence free.

Atlases....Atlases everywhere....

I'm saying not relying on cost to balance something should lead to balancing of actual gameplay, leading to better balance, thus more variety of builds. Atlases are easy targets and die fairly easily to good play, they won't be everywhere.

#36 AlexWildeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 549 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

View PostManDaisy, on 17 December 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

Your views make me sad. How does no risk lead to tactical gameplay? What is the point of surviving now? With the 75% free repair and now 100% free repair this game is now officially 100% arcade and 0% sim.

Because man I want to stay alive longer so I can do more damage and get more kills. Just running out and suiciding becomes bad cause I will lose out on all the bonus's and surviving.
With RnR in game I was still playing stupidly as I always made money. Now I will be a little smarter because I can make more money.

#37 Landeraxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

View PostWoky, on 17 December 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

I think it may encourage good play more than discourage it. Coming with removal of RnR seems to be more player activity based rewards.

Uh, they just stated they are removing player based rewards (like base cap/assist).

#38 neviu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Locationnetherlands

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

Great now will be seeing more and more atlasses cause its free to run,, great, thought about the balance? This will ruin it totaly

#39 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

View PostKaijin, on 17 December 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

I like it. Removes the whole weird 'pay to get paid to fight' thing, and along with that, the punishment for pulling off a victory by the skin of your teeth though badly bruised and bloodied, as opposed the the relative reward of getting your mech cockpitted early in the match and not having that huge repair bill.

You just needed to run a mech that you could afford to fight with. If your mech was too expensive then you didn't run it all the time, you found a way to run it cheaper, or you got better. I some how managed to run everything from heavy artemis boats down to light laser boats and just about everything in between and still make a profit by running what i could afford. And now that's gone along with any kind thought associated with mech building and what to drop with.

#40 FerretGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

View PostManDaisy, on 17 December 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

Yes... another good point, why case? Why any sort of protection at all?

I'm not sure you understand how CASE works if you need to ask this question.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users