89 replies to this topic

#1 karish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 184 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

the locust (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Locust) has many variants for various play styles so i ask you brave recon pilots what would you pick? mine would be the

LCT-1M - The LCT-1M was a long range version of the Locust. This variant carried two LRM-5 launchers in place of the Machine Guns at the cost of reduced armor protection.[

#2 Emily Weiston

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 274 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWashington

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

Being someone who loves piloting the Locust, I hate the LRM-5 variant in mechwarrior. I can see it being useful in battletech, but in a firefight, it is impossible to defend yourself against another light mech.

If this was battletech, I wouldn't really change the Locust due to the fact that having those machine guns for infantry is very useful.

Considering the fact that only the first four variants is available during this time, I would have to choose

LCT-1E - With 2 medium lasers and 2 small lasers, this is a great mech to jump in, pack a punch, and break contact. This is great if you have an area with a lot of ridges or buildings to run behind. This mech is also great to take down enemy recon mechs if you encounter them. With the superior speed at a whopping 129.6 km/h, even a jenner can't run away from you (though they can jumpjet), and you can break contact very quickly.

#3 karish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 184 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

@ Emily Weiston this is why i ask -- I am the Sniper Recon type where you run ahead find a place to hide and if you can get a long shot off on some one you take it then run to a new hiding spot to relay there mechs and location if i have to engage another light mech i just out run em

#4 William Petersen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

If I could drive *ANY* locust, it would be the -6M. The single fastest Mech in canon from what I'm seeing. However, since that uses a lot of really advanced stuff (extra-light Gyro, small cockpit, etc) and isn't actually available 'til 3071...

...the -1Vb. It has at least 5 energy hard points. I'd swap out all the PLas for their normal Las equivalent and change the engine to non-XL as to slightly increase the durability.

The -1S isn't too bad, and I really like SRMs, but I like a little more 'can open' with SRM Mechs than a single MLas.

#5 HighlandWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Never actually piloted one, but will ponder this..interesting little mech

#6 Spiral

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'm on board with the LCT-1E as well.

#7 MagnusEffect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

If you are good enough to keep at extreme range (and in a Locust, that shouldn't be an issue), the LRM variant is definitely the best choice.

However, the Locust was a cheap cannon fodder-type mech. Any experienced pilot usually upgraded to a tougher scout ASAP.

Give a look at the Cicada:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cicada

Superior armor and weaponry for the same speed; the ideal Skirmisher mech. The 3C model is particularly dangerous. Only drawback to the Cicada is that it costs roughly twice as much as a Locust... still... totally worth it when you can afford it.

For later down the line after launch, it should be noted that the Strider is based on the same chassis but with the benefit of Omnimech tech:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Strider
An excellent choice for scouts if and when we get it.

Edited by MagnusEffect, 13 April 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#8 Kiff Stevenson

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCanada District, Capella

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

You know, if you think about it Vanilla is a actually a fairly exotic and uniquely delicious flavour . . .

LCT-1V

#9 Yeach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Can the OP make a poll and list the variants?

#10 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

None, should I ever run recon I'd choose either a Raven or Firefly.

#11 William Petersen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

View PostKiff_Stevenson, on 13 April 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

You know, if you think about it Vanilla is a actually a fairly exotic and uniquely delicious flavour . . .

LCT-1V

9 times out of 10 I'll pass on any Mech that mounts any sort of M. Guns. That 10th time is when I'm offered a PRA. Gawd I love the PRA.

Edited by William Petersen, 13 April 2012 - 05:08 PM.

#12 syngyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

The cutest variant. <3

#13 The Destinator

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

Too bad the Koto isn't technically the Locust. Ya just gotta love that Large X-Pulse laser... Mmm... pulse laser... *FOND RECOLLECTION!*

#14 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

LCT-1V2, upgrading the machine guns to Rocket-10s gives it enough of a one shot punch to make most things that could keep up think twice about doing so. I'd like to further tinker with it but that's a good base to start at.

Edited by SuckyJack, 13 April 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#15 Kanil

• 1,068 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

LCT-1E Locust, of course. At least, for L1 stuff.

The 1M is completely useless, being legged by a single medium laser or kick from a 25 tonner. Range isn't as good of a defense as you might think, and two LRM-5s don't really scare anything. You have the speed to close to short range, so you don't need to even bother fight at long range.

#16 Evedro Solais

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 179 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Ok if I had to pick one of the variants then it would be the LCT-5W2 simply because its the closest to what I want in a light scout 'Mech. Though if I had my way I'd find some way to drop that deathtrap of an XL engine. The troublesome part is it comes so late in the timeline and belongs to the Word of Blake faction. Damn religious nutjobs (⌐_ ⌐ )

Of course this is assuming I'll even pilot a locust. What I wanna ride is a Tarantula ( ^ w^)

Edited by Evedro Solais, 13 April 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#17 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGarrison duty on some FWL Planet and itching for action.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

LCT-1E would be the variant I picked if I used one.

#18 karish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 184 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

View PostKanil, on 13 April 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

LCT-1E Locust, of course. At least, for L1 stuff.

The 1M is completely useless, being legged by a single medium laser or kick from a 25 tonner. Range isn't as good of a defense as you might think, and two LRM-5s don't really scare anything. You have the speed to close to short range, so you don't need to even bother fight at long range.

you sir do not have a clue about recon or scouting! your job is to report from afar and Never run in for close engagement so please how back to the bigger mechs becuase you wount last long as a recone

#19 trycksh0t

• Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Old school (pre-SL cache), I really like the -1M. With so little armor, being able to hit at range is a godsend.

Newer variants, I like the -5M. ER medium laser, 4 ER smalls, and a top speed of...194.4 kph. More likely to be killed by the acceleration than enemy weapons fire.

#20 Storm McIntyre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

I personally like the LCT-1S version. The SRM-2's give the old bug some kick, plus the Locust has enough speed to put them right where its gonna hurt the most, and then get the @#$% outta dodge!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users