How On Earth Do You Build A Rvn-4X?

78 replies to this topic

#41 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

This is the one I have had the most fun on. Note: With this mech you learn that LRM distance is 180m and need to keep moving and harassing.

RVN-4X

#42 ChefJitsu

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 24 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostSlimJim8519, on 19 December 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

I decided to slap 1xAC/5, 2xMedium Laser,1xSSRM2.
No fancy upgrades, just Endo-Steel Structure and kept basic heat sinks.
Armor as much as I could.

Well atleast it kinda works and it's fun to shoot bigger mechs and see their arm drop off.
Not a real viable build but not that bad either.

Caustic Valley is my favorite map with 4X, just shoot AC/5 as long as you can, then do like other lights, circle and spam streak and lasers.

2X is the real underdog imo, but with 1xLarge Laser, 2xMedium Laser and 1xStreak it's actually not that bad at all.

This is the setup I am rocking and love it! I often swap the SKRM for the AC/5 though because of the all the missile boats running around. Be flexible. If you are part of a Clan or House or Merc Corp then you may want a few options to fill in gaps. That is my way of looking at all Mechs. If you are not comfortable with the best set up on paper then just roll what feels right. B)

Edited by ChefJitsu, 11 October 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#43 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

View PostMutaroc, on 12 September 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

I don't even bother using that mech... I find it useless. If I use a Raven I will take the 3L.

Seriously, do you just make random posts so you can like them?

#44 Jerod Drekmor

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 80 posts
  • LocationWest side of Iron Curtain

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2faa5deb973e1a7
This is thing I was thinking about, but im not sure.....right now im playing with xl245....no tweak and no DHS yet(im not good at farming) an without bonus speed x4 is bit slow for light mech- I`ve been useing trial spider and that speed helps alot.
So my question is: Its a good ide to put xl270 on it or ill be good with 245 and ams/srm6/HS(other ideas) & if that xl270 engine will be good to use on other ravens?

Thx for help and sorry for my english.

Edited by Jerod Drekmor, 28 October 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#45 Catalina Steiner

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNagelring Academy

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

What about this build? I liked Jerod Drekmor's and my build is more brawler-like.

Raven RVN-4X
Speed: 113,4 kph; Tonnage 35/35; Firepower 20; Heat Efficiency 1,9; Armor 232
Ferro-Fibrous Armor, Standard Structure, Double Heat Sink
Std Engine 245, two Medium Lasers, two Machine Guns, three Jump Jets

Build Link: RVN-4X

#46 TinFoilHat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostCatalina Steiner, on 06 November 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

What about this build? I liked Jerod Drekmor's and my build is more brawler-like.

Raven RVN-4X
Speed: 113,4 kph; Tonnage 35/35; Firepower 20; Heat Efficiency 1,9; Armor 232
Ferro-Fibrous Armor, Standard Structure, Double Heat Sink
Std Engine 245, two Medium Lasers, two Machine Guns, three Jump Jets

Build Link: RVN-4X

Change Ferro back to Normal armour, go with Endo structure instead and you can free up more tonnage. Drop a ton of MG ammo, one of the JJ and the CASE, think that'll give you enough to stick on a SSRM2, ton of ammo and max your armour

RVN-4X

#47 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

Just finished mastering it today. I tried a bunch of things, but my favorite was just a poor man's sniping 3L: 2ERLL, 2JJ, zombie the left arm, max armor otherwise, XL275.

S

Edited by Terciel1976, 06 November 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#48 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

This is usually what i recommend for the 4x (though i havn't tested it out the build looks okay ;p )
One large , 1 medium , xl 275 , 2 machine guns , 1 srm 4 - 1 jumpjet
WITH 1 extra tonn to spare on anything

RVN-4X - XL 275 - 140 kph - 10 doubles - - one large laser - one medium laser - 2 machine guns - one srm 4 - one jumpjet
*Drop engine to XL 270 fit AMS *

Swap out the large laser for two medium pulse and a srm 6 artemis with still a extra tonn left for anything

RVN-4X - XL 275 - 140 kph - one jumpjet - - 2 medium pulse lasers - one srm 6 artemis - 2 machine guns
thoughts? :P

One ppc and one er large with one jumpjet at 134 kph and 12 doubles
RVN-4X - xl 255 - 134 kph - 12 doubles - one ppc - one er large laser

Edited by kesuga7, 06 November 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#49 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

been trying out this build ingame for some matches and its been working nicely for me :)
(Thats if i don't get my back cored from the front, dual ac 20'd or other bs B) )

It might not look like much but you can harass at 300 meters with the lasers and jets

RVN-4X - XL 265 - 134.9 KPH - 232 armor - one jumpjet - 10 doubles - One large pulse laser - one medium laser - 2 machine guns - 1 srm 4

You can do 140 kph one large pulse laser , one medium laser , one srm 2 , 2 machine guns

Heres a 2 ppc 134 kph 10 doubles one jumpjet sniper
RVN-4X - XL 265 - 134.9 kph - 2 ppc - one jumpjet - 10 doubles

#50 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostMacbrea, on 10 October 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

This is the one I have had the most fun on. Note: With this mech you learn that LRM distance is 180m and need to keep moving and harassing.

RVN-4X

Same loadout and lrm ammo
but i took out one jumpjet and some zombie arm armor with cockpit armor to give it 129.8 KPH
RVN-4X - XL 255 - 129.8 KPH - 197 armor - one jumpjet - 2 mediums - one lrm 15 artemis - AMS - 540 LRM ammo

@ warge you can do the same loadout with a xl 275
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2311c4dbec2e322
or
2 mid pulse xl 275 , 1 srm 6 artemis ,2 machine guns , 3 jumpets (or take out 2 jumpjets for a ton of srm ammo or a mid pulse)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...09ba2cdf11c6aa7

Edited by kesuga7, 08 November 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#51 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostVolez, on 19 December 2012 - 07:02 AM, said:

Seriously what is up with this mech? How do you most reasonably build it?

2*MG (1 ton of ammo) + 2*ML + SRM6 Artemis (2 tons of ammo), XL255, 4*JJ.

Edited by Warge, 08 November 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#52 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostVolez, on 19 December 2012 - 07:02 AM, said:

I want to unlock the elite efficiency's for my 3L, so im currently using a 4X, but the whole thing doesnt make any sense. The fact that it has horrible hardpoints for close range combined with its slow speed make it absolutely useless as a light mech.. On the other hand... it IS still a light mech, so speccing it for long range results in a ridiculously low DPS, low armored, 1 shottable, AC/2 "thingy". There isnt really a thing as "allround" either because the damage output and armor are just way too low.
Seriously what is up with this mech? How do you most reasonably build it?

I run this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...af5ec628c07f816

With speed tweak it nearly hits 140kph. the AC/5 packs a good punch when taking things on from behind, quickly stripping armour in conjunction with the twin medium lasers, plus you have JJ's to slide and strafe with.

I'm having enormous fun with this mech.

#53 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,603 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 19 December 2012 - 07:34 AM, said:

People nowadays really lacks creative thinking. There was once a Raven build named "half a Gausspult". Yes, a Raven carrying a Gauss.

I've seen that in-game - it was a gauss rifle, a couple-three tons of ammo, and no fracking armor. It made me want to strangle kittens.

#54 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

My 4X has 2 Med Lasers, LRM15 with Artemis (with 2 tons ammo) and 2 MGs (with 1 ton ammo)., DHS, XL 245, Endo and FF. Standard 10 sinks is all it has. It also has 1 JJ to help get over hills or escape pursuit.

The way you need to play my version is to hang near the back of your team, using the LRMs to effect. Once the other team starts to look hurt, use your speed to close the gap quick. Aim lasers and MGs into any holes in armor. I've had a lot of good luck with this build. Restraint is the key, as if you rush in on fully armored targets, you probably wont come out alive. Stay with your team, as if a fast mech catches you, they will probably eat you. The key is to avoid notice by being near someone else that is a larger target.

Edited by Tesunie, 08 November 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#55 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostVodrin Thales, on 07 October 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

If you want to take a serious approach to the game you should not be building a Raven 4X. There is no "good" or "competitive" build with this thing, only varying degrees of bad. You should at least make a fun build with it, and shoehorning a PPC, gauss, or AC20 into something the size of a Raven is indeed fun.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...296f0a7ae0b8c62

This is a play on the 2 ERLL Raven 3L's. Only advantage is the jump jets. It will serve you well, just keep your distance.

I used to run this thing with dual ac2's for the annoying factor, but this is so much more useful lol.

Edited by Saxie, 08 November 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#56 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

Like this.

#57 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:37 AM

Posting some game play videos of Raven 2x and 4x in a 2xERLL setup.
In a way, I find it better than the 3L with ECM because of the shear amount of annoyance it bring to the enemy team to have a light mech continually peck at them from afar. ERLL setups work best in bigger maps which gives you a lot more space to work with.

The engine size increase to XL275 and new max top speed of 140KPH, it is now actually fun to use this lower tier mech against 'better' mechs.

Lights for the win !
Dedicating these videos to all light haters ! ;)
Lastly.. Nvidia ShadowPlay is great !

Raven 2X Gameplay (I found something special with this Raven. Guess what it is ?)

Raven 4X Gameplay

Edited by ShinVector, 17 November 2013 - 08:01 AM.

#58 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:46 AM

Well PGI actually buffed the maximum engine rating on the 2x and 4x, so I believe there is absolutely no reason to dislike these variants. One close range possiblity for the 4X below

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ee03b74522fe16f
2x ML, SRM6, 2xML, 12 DHS, 275XL and AMS

or long range wth just 2 ER LLs and 12 DHS (no AMS, no missiles, no MGs 1 JJ). I feel either way this mech should perform ok.

Edited by Autobot9000, 17 November 2013 - 07:47 AM.

#59 RallyPoint

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:32 AM

Ugh I love to hate this mech... it's equal parts frustration and challenge. Read over a ton of builds; most are out dated {Scrap} that doesn't even work anymore. Nice to see some fresh builds in here that actually work but some of them are just useless.

Finally got a build I can actually enjoy.
RVN-4X_HiLeg

As much armor as I could get on it.
Endo-steel gets you 1.5 tons; that's huge.
XL 245 engine frees up a lot of tonage you'll need.
Only need 2 standard heatsinks.

AMS is nice; I like it... you could drop it for more tonage.
3 Jump Jets is still very useful for getting out of ravines or up onto hills/buildings

2 Med. Pulse Lasters pack a nice punch.
Streak SRM2 I prefer because I suck at aiming with SRMs.
2 Machine Guns... meh... use the hardpoints =/

Tactics: Stop thinking you are a real light mech. Do not run out ahead with the spiders and jenners. You are some weird ******* hybrid that isn't fast enough to run with the lights and has squat for firepower. Stick with the group; preferably under an ECM.

Hang back ? But with those weapons you have to get in close!
True... patience little Raven... Wait for the big dogs to close in. Use them as soft cover. Use the terrain as hard cover. Be picky about your targets; you are basically additional firepower for the big dogs. Help finish off wounded enemies. The only kills I get are ones I steal at the last few seconds before the enemy falls =) Try to get enough damage on as many close targets as you can to net assists.

This mech won't bring you fortune and glory... you will be the unsung squire... like it or buy a different mech.

Edited by RallyPoint, 20 November 2013 - 06:34 AM.

#60 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

View PostRallyPoint, on 20 November 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

This mech won't bring you fortune and glory... you will be the unsung squire... like it or buy a different mech.

I think you missed my videos above. Why hang back when you can kill stuff and directly help your team ? :ph34r:
Do you have any idea how annoying it is to be continually zapped by ER larger lasers. Bait anyone that comes after you into your bigger friends. <_<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users