#461 New Day

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 26 July 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Though, the original build of Kerensky's Orion didn't have the LRM launcher; it was replaced with a Snub-Nose PPC (which can be exchanged for a Standard or ER PPC in the MWO version by moving one FF critical to free up the space and dropping one ton of Gauss Rifle ammunition to free up the tonnage).

However, the gray-and-red color scheme shown in the screenshot matches that of the 11th Legion of Vega, which was Theodore Kurita's unit while he was on Marfik and piloting the rebuilt (as a standard ON1-K loadout) form of Kerensky's Orion (which he named "Revenant") at the beginning of the Fourth Succession War.
(The story of Theodore and the Revenant, which was destroyed in the Fourth Succession War, is told in the BT novel, Heir to the Dragon.)

By contrast, the 'Mechs of the Tortuga Fusiliers are bainted black with blue trim while the 'Mechs of the Death's Consorts (which aren't formed until Paula Trevaline's release from imprisonment in 3064) are painted bone grey with black trim.
Additionally, it seems (from this source) that Paula Trevaline's personal Orion, before her capture and imprisonment, was an ON1-K that was painted green.

Additionally, the Lurch (piloted by Yvonne Morticia of Team Banzai) would presumably be painted black with yellow trim (the unit's colors), which also doesn't quite match what is shown in the video (unless the video coloring or the lighting in that room is slightly off :)).

So, from the screenshot, I would guess that the Orion pictured (assuming it is the Hero Orion) would seem to be Theodore Kurita's Revenant (or perhaps some homage thereto), or possibly the Lurch or some other as-yet-unknown Orion.

Your thoughts?

I tried to read that. Cheesefest.

#462 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostAntharPrime, on 13 July 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

I hope that this will be the next mech after the Victor. I'm looking for my second heavy mech to master and the Cataphract and Jagermech have the stench of cheese on them while the Quickdraw and Dragon just don't have that heavy mech feel for me.
Why the Cataphract? Only one of them has Jump Jets and they all have low-to-medium slung weapons...

#463 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:41 AM

View PostSephlock, on 26 July 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

Why the Cataphract? Only one of them has Jump Jets and they all have low-to-medium slung weapons...

Because it's a boating mech, either you put 2 gauss, 4 AC 5, 4 Llasers, or 4 PPCs.

#464 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostFishhawk, on 26 July 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

Based on the screenshot and the Victor Hero mech, my money is on Theodore's mech too.

Though, it was pointed out (and verified) in another thread that Teddy didn't use the Legion of Vega's colors while using the Revenant.

"The paint had a lower albedo than the manuals recommended, but Theodore was happy to live with the increased solar heat absorption. He had spent weeks of patient research discovering the color scheme carried when the machine had served General Kerensky. Once the colors were authenticated, he had painted the 'Mech himself. Only the insignia were different. Instead of Star League markings, the Orion now carried the serpentine dragon of House Kurita. Within the gaping jaws of the dragon, clear upon the red field of the disk, was a silver star, the cadency mark of the Heir-Designate. He was very proud of the 'Mech and had named it the "Revenant."" (September 3019; source)

"Heany ran a full scan of the area. Radar picked out a flock of targets moving southeast between the hills, headed toward the cursed forest. She focused the visual scanners on them: ten Kurita BattleMechs led by a drab green Orion." (September 3028; source)

So, it seems that there is now a good chance that it isn't the Revenant, after all.
And the colors shown in the screenshot don't seem to match either Paula "Lady Death" Trevaline (green ON1-K) or Yvonne Morticia (from Team Banzai; black Orion with yellow/gold trim).

----------

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 26 July 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

I tried to read that. Cheesefest.

Well, at least it wouldn't/shouldn't be jump-capable... :(

----------

Also, is it just me or does the Orion shown in the screenshot seem to have a narrower main body (even after accounting for the angle of the camera), a longer and more-rectangular window assembly, a longer and higher back-mounted protrusion/"hunch", and a taller-but-narrower LRM launcher than the original debut art? :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#465 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 27 July 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

Well, at least it wouldn't/shouldn't be jump-capable... :)

No, I meant so much cheesy samurai/honor stuff that got on my nerves. Nothing to do with the venerable Gaussppcc.

#466 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 27 July 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

No, I meant so much cheesy samurai/honor stuff that got on my nerves. Nothing to do with the venerable Gaussppcc.

Okay... so, how did you extract "so much cheesy samurai/honor stuff" from a post about unit paint jobs (one of the purposes of which is identification, and which has little (if anything) to do with "samurai" or "honor" as concepts), that contains neither of the words "samurai" or "honor" and does not contain any discussion of either concept? :)

#467 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostAntharPrime, on 27 July 2013 - 05:41 AM, said:

Because it's a boating mech, either you put 2 gauss, 4 AC 5, 4 Llasers, or 4 PPCs.

there is nothing wrong with the cataphract, if anything it is the most balanced mech in the game
some people just look for any excuse to whine and moan. go grab your favourite beverage, sit in your favourite chair, lean back and just enjoy life for a bit

#468 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostNARCoMAN, on 19 December 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

Too bad it won't be out for 7 months at the current rate

I was wrong, but I did not know how wrong....

#469 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 27 July 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

Okay... so, how did you extract "so much cheesy samurai/honor stuff" from a post about unit paint jobs (one of the purposes of which is identification, and which has little (if anything) to do with "samurai" or "honor" as concepts), that contains neither of the words "samurai" or "honor" and does not contain any discussion of either concept? :D

I was referencing the Heir to the Dragon. In retrospect I should have underlined and bolded that part.

#470 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Also, is it just me or does the Orion shown in the screenshot seem to have a narrower main body (even after accounting for the angle of the camera), a longer and more-rectangular window assembly, a longer and higher back-mounted protrusion/"hunch", and a taller-but-narrower LRM launcher than the original debut art? :D

The entire mech looks smaller. Even the arms were thinned, and the weaponry on them lost the "cylinder" look.

#471 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostSelfish, on 27 July 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

The entire mech looks smaller. Even the arms were thinned, and the weaponry on them lost the "cylinder" look.

Actually, it turns out that I just didn't turn my monitor enough to match the camera angle... :D

#472 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostLucian Nostra, on 24 July 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

It's ok they have to make room for the Crab and King Crab first

ewwww..

#473 MaxStr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 149 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Check the latest dev blog. The Orion will be available for gold purchase on the first August patch (13th) and C-bill purchase on the 27th, with the Flea coming out in September before the Pheonix pack release in October.

Update: seems that its changed again and Orion has been delayed until after the Phoenix Mechs have been released for C-bill purchase, so the month of February is the new date. Instead we will be getting the Urbanmech in August due to its unique characteristics, I am very excited about this!

Edited by MaxKarnage, 27 July 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#474 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostMaxKarnage, on 27 July 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

Check the latest dev blog. The Orion will be available for gold purchase on the first August patch (13th) and C-bill purchase on the 27th, with the Flea coming out in September before the Pheonix pack release in October.

Update: seems that its changed again and Orion has been delayed until after the Phoenix Mechs have been released for C-bill purchase, so the month of February is the new date. Instead we will be getting the Urbanmech in August due to its unique characteristics, I am very excited about this!

Can you provide a link to where they stated this because I can't find it anywhere.

#475 Rasako

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

can anyone confirm this?

#476 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

Latest dev blog? We haven't had a blog in ages. Next time, try doing something slightly believable.

#477 Mech Wrench

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 222 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

I see your 8/13 Orion release and raise you a FLEA!

#478 Grimmnyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Though, it was pointed out (and verified) in another thread that Teddy didn't use the Legion of Vega's colors while using the Revenant.

"The paint had a lower albedo than the manuals recommended, but Theodore was happy to live with the increased solar heat absorption. He had spent weeks of patient research discovering the color scheme carried when the machine had served General Kerensky. Once the colors were authenticated, he had painted the 'Mech himself. Only the insignia were different. Instead of Star League markings, the Orion now carried the serpentine dragon of House Kurita. Within the gaping jaws of the dragon, clear upon the red field of the disk, was a silver star, the cadency mark of the Heir-Designate. He was very proud of the 'Mech and had named it the "Revenant."" (September 3019; source)

"Heany ran a full scan of the area. Radar picked out a flock of targets moving southeast between the hills, headed toward the cursed forest. She focused the visual scanners on them: ten Kurita BattleMechs led by a drab green Orion." (September 3028; source)

So, it seems that there is now a good chance that it isn't the Revenant, after all.
And the colors shown in the screenshot don't seem to match either Paula "Lady Death" Trevaline (green ON1-K) or Yvonne Morticia (from Team Banzai; black Orion with yellow/gold trim).

----------

Well, at least it wouldn't/shouldn't be jump-capable... :D

----------

Also, is it just me or does the Orion shown in the screenshot seem to have a narrower main body (even after accounting for the angle of the camera), a longer and more-rectangular window assembly, a longer and higher back-mounted protrusion/"hunch", and a taller-but-narrower LRM launcher than the original debut art? :angry:
Posted Image

Posted Image

This Orion has the correct house insignia on it! :D

#479 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

Also, is it just me or does the Orion shown in the screenshot seem to have a narrower main body (even after accounting for the angle of the camera), a longer and more-rectangular window assembly, a longer and higher back-mounted protrusion/"hunch", and a taller-but-narrower LRM launcher than the original debut art? :rolleyes:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice catch!! Though i wish they wouldnt do these redesigns after officially announcing the mech.

Could this redesign be accountable for its delay?

Also please post the official updated concept art as an announcements. Much more professional. I think the community would understand. And even be appreciative that refinements are being made

Plus it would be nice not to be blindsided when 3d models come out different from what wev been anticipating for weeks

Edited by Tennex, 28 July 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#480 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Please, guys: it is the same Orion, just repainted.
Posted Image

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users