Slap Around Some Ecm Lights With This Jr7-D Build

29 replies to this topic

#1 PiemasterXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 556 posts
  • LocationThe deep-south, cookin' Moonshine.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

The focus of my JR7-D build is to get right in the faces of ECM mechs, close range baby.

Rip out your jump jets. You will need the space.

4 Small Lasers; Choose the right lasers for you, this thread is very handy: http://mwomercs.com/...-melt-properly/

I highly recommend the smalls though. Have them fire one after the other.

2 SRM4's: You won't need the Artimis at the close ranges you will be fighting in.

3 tons of SRM Ammo: You will be able to fit a 4th if you take out BAP.

XL Engine 280: Not the fastest but the best IMO because of the space it saves compared to the XL 300, slap on BAP or max out your armor.

Armor is at 232.

Double Heat-Sink.
Ferro-Fibrous.
Endo-Steel.

Mechlab says my heat efficiency is 1.27 but its something else because I have the heat threshold and dissipation XP unlocks doubled.

A LOT of structure slots taken but you will have a few left to spare.

Then practice your aim, the small lasers are to keep a constant stream of damage on your opponent until you can get a good shot with the missiles.

Some math: Streaks, although they always hit do less damage than your launchers. A commando-2D will at best be able to do 15 damage per volley, you on the other hand will do 20 if you fire both your launchers at once.

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:52 AM

A video with how you use it to fight other lights would probably be great. I know a lot of people here won't be convinced unless they see it for themselves.

As for me, I can't play it. I tried slapping the 280XL on my Jenner but due to my 300 ms connection, I just end up rubberbanding all over the place. :lol:

It's a pity. I would love to give those ECM lights a try using my Jenner.

Edited by Elizander, 23 December 2012 - 03:52 AM.

#3 Spiketail Drake

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:01 AM

Interesting setup, but why drop those Jumpjets because you need the space? You'll lose mobility, but don't add anything more, certainly not more weapons or armor.

#4 PiemasterXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

View PostSpiketail Drake, on 23 December 2012 - 05:01 AM, said:

Interesting setup, but why drop those Jumpjets because you need the space? You'll lose mobility, but don't add anything more, certainly not more weapons or armor.

I slapped on BAP. Not sure how effective it is.

#5 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:27 AM

Do you really need 3/4 tons of SRM ammo? Pumping it through at 4-8 rockets at a time should give you plenty of trigger pulls. Personally I would strip out BAP and take it down to 1-2 tons of ammo and try and squeeze a bigger engine in. If you can fit an XL300 you get another engine slot for an extra DHS. Maybe just one SRM4 and one ton of ammo?

#6 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

View PostPiemasterXL, on 23 December 2012 - 03:22 AM, said:

Some math: Streaks, although they always hit do less damage than your launchers. A commando-2D will at best be able to do 15 damage per volley, you on the other hand will do 20 if you fire both your launchers at once.

20 all over the place, disregarding missed shots that will happen. Streaks hit 100% so it's always 15 per volley, and they lock.

#7 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:15 AM

View PostPiemasterXL, on 23 December 2012 - 05:19 AM, said:

I slapped on BAP. Not sure how effective it is.

You can grab the extended Sensor module with it. It's pretty neat. You can see your non-ECM enemies coming half a mile away if you go up a hill.

#8 Comguard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 652 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

I'm not entirely convinced.

Your opponent, a Commando or Raven, will have the following armament:

3 SSRM2 (and maybe 1 med) for the Commando, 2 SSRM2s and 3Meds for the Raven.

That's in a Light vs. Light fight way better than 2 SRM4s, arguments already given in this thread. In addition they have the advantage of manouvering because of the ECM-effect.

The fact that users try to create new builds just to counter a 1,5 ton, 2 slot piece of equipement shows what is wrong with ECM. Can't believe that PGI really delayed the introduction because it was op...

#9 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostComguard, on 23 December 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

The fact that users try to create new builds just to counter a 1,5 ton, 2 slot piece of equipement shows what is wrong with ECM. Can't believe that PGI really delayed the introduction because it was op...

I like how ECM changed the game tactically. Gives more reason to use things like TAG and teamwork. The problem is the netcode that makes lights super durable to anything other than streaks. If you could melt a Raven with lasers like you should be able to, half these complaints would evaporate. ECM itself though adds a nice dimension of stealth and formation play, and keeps the game from being MissileBoatOnline.

#10 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

I keep two jump jets in my Jenner because that allows me to perform a split second 180 while being chased. It works best just after cresting a small hill. It's a great way to not only break the lock of the ssrm shooter, but you also get an opportunity to fire back as you go past him.

#11 Dead Fury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 235 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

LEARN TO AIM PEOPLE

This build actually seems like it could be pretty effective. I love SRM's I use them in almost all my builds, and I can aim. I don't use streaks for this very reason.

The reason he has SRMS over streaks is because your going up against ECM lights, Which if he had streaks he wouldnt be able to lock on and thus they would be useless.

SRMS are just fine so long as you can aim. If you suck at precision aiming and timing in this game, which it seems the vast majority does, then this is not a build for you.

If I had another mechbay slot I would totally try this out.

Edited by Unstruck Fury, 24 December 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#12 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Why do that? This removes the biggest advantages of the Jenner.

Raven-3L wECM
1SRM-6 (with artemis if you want), 1SRM-2 (ditto) will fire 7 and 1 rather than 4 and 4 and can be tighter. If you aren't running a 300 in the Jenner, then you'd be better off with the Raven anyway, and the Raven's only disadvantage is that it has only 3 small lasers (personally I'd use medium lasers first anyway), but had ECM, and artemis.

Oh yes, and in this case, Jenner has the advantage of JJ's, which are 100% worthless right now, and weigh too much to be effective.

Edited by ICEFANG13, 24 December 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#13 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

View PostUnstruck Fury, on 24 December 2012 - 09:42 AM, said:

SRMS are just fine so long as you can aim. If you suck at precision aiming and timing in this game, which it seems the vast majority does, then this is not a build for you.

The problem I have with SRMs is the spread AFTER being fired. You need to get really close for SRMs to clump.

#14 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

their lagshield vs your dumbfire rockets > your lagshield vs their guided rockets

#15 Intikam

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

I liked playing small and medium mechs in the game and i was able to take out most small mechs in 1v1 before ecm. But noe im totaly unabla to kill a ecm small mech with lasers. I dont know if theres a trick or my ping of 120 is to high but i think its just nearly impossible. I killed some of those ecm scouts with my atlas and his 3 srm6 and lbx autocannon. So its true that srm are more effective right now against such mechs but still its hard to hit them.
It happend that i fired with my cat at a overheated commando and hit it twice with 3 large lasers in the chest without killing it... so im pritty shure the netcode has a problem with ecm. Ecm is like superman underwear :)
But to be honnest i like this more than it before... missleboat online

#16 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

View PostBroceratops, on 24 December 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

their lagshield vs your dumbfire rockets > your lagshield vs their guided rockets

Seriously.

@OP: make a video of you succeeding in 8 mans against 150 kph RVN 3Ls, then I'll believe that it's viable.

#17 PiemasterXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

Streaks don't guarantee a light killing a non-streak light. There are always variables to consider, like running around a corner, over a hill. If there was no cover, and flat ground and its was just the two of them running in a circle then yes the situation looks pretty grim for the non-streak 'mech. But until the day comes when they introduce flat maps with no cover and obstacles I will play this Jenner and I will laugh and giggle and stroke my **** when I spank a commando in the *** or face with 8 SRM's.

Edited by PiemasterXL, 24 December 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#18 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Once again, the build can be better done by the Raven, as most builds can.

#19 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

View PostICEFANG13, on 24 December 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

Once again, the build can be better done by the Raven, as most builds can.

Hee hee, remember back when everyone said the Raven was useless and would yell at anyone who had the gall to drop with one? And the game spins on.

#20 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

The Raven-3L was never useless, and neither was the Jenner-K, they have many more situations where they are better than the Jenner-D. People were really clueless about it.

Raven-2X, now there is a completely worthless mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users