49 replies to this topic

#41 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostHellen Wheels, on 16 January 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

Speaking of which, it seems to me that my ballistic weapons always sail left of the intended target, even if we're both stationary. The amount of drift to the left increases with distance, but 10 meters or 500 meters, it sails left. I think my barrel or sights (or both) are bent? It just seems odd to have to aim right at a stationary target, even when I am stationary. Maybe I've just got a bad hook.

=H=

I thought it might have been me imagining them doing it or because I had a slew or yaw at the time, but have noticed that...It seems to happen when my acceleration is changing rapidly. I Give it a tad to settle before firing.

#42 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostAbivard, on 16 January 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

do you want a work around or do you just want to complain?
If complaining is what you want go to feedback forum please.

Are you going to recognize a legitimate problem and admit the simple truth that the work-around isn't a panacea, or do you want to complain? Perhaps you should make your own thread as well.

#43 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostHellen Wheels, on 16 January 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

Speaking of which, it seems to me that my ballistic weapons always sail left of the intended target, even if we're both stationary. The amount of drift to the left increases with distance, but 10 meters or 500 meters, it sails left. I think my barrel or sights (or both) are bent? It just seems odd to have to aim right at a stationary target, even when I am stationary. Maybe I've just got a bad hook.

=H=

No, this is normal for torso mounted weapons - my 'mech mechanic is still doing push-ups till I get tired for not calibrating my sights correctly.

Additionally, turning while you fire (especially if you twist your torso at the same time) seems to throw your rounds off by a counter-intuitive amount. Even with lasers, it's better to let off the turn button and stop twisting a split-second before you fire, if at all possible.

Edited by Void Angel, 16 January 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#44 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

Lag shooting is easy:
When you shoot a circling Raven with a double AC20 and you can see bullets hitting him, that means you`ve missed.
When you see a round missing ahead of him, and he spontaneously explodes, that means you`ve hit him :-)

When I`m in a Raven I use slopes to vary my speed and vertical position, and to induce rubber-banding. When running on the edge of the caldera my enemies have to aim at the sky ahead of me, and due to convergence errors i`m almost impossible to hit with ballistics. And remember never to run in a straight line. I had 8 man team shooting at me on Caustic valley, and I managed to get away using evasive maneuvers and deny them the kill.

Another tip is to prioritize targets: check out if there are any players with ping below 50 and take them out first. It`s smooth sailing from there.

Edited by Kmieciu, 17 January 2013 - 01:15 AM.

#45 Henry Pride

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 425 posts
  • LocationWorms, Germany

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

As i am one of those hated light mech drivers i feel to give some more hints :)

A good way to lead ur rocket, laser or what ever is a small siced weapon that required beam duration. Best thing here is the small laser or better a tag. Tho there are several tricks to give ur tag a endless beam, it is the best method to sacrifice 1 laser for this thing, cause whenever the crosshair becomes red and the enemie Mech shows the Tag symbol u can be serious the weapongs that follow, expect AC20 and PPC, are going to hit this game. PPC and AC20 do have a small prepare to fire time that makes aming a bit more complicated. Due to the fact, that i only posses light mechs, i dont use these weapons pretty often.

#46 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 17 January 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

Lag shooting is easy:
When you shoot a circling Raven with a double AC20 and you can see bullets hitting him, that means you`ve missed.
When you see a round missing ahead of him, and he spontaneously explodes, that means you`ve hit him :-)

When I`m in a Raven I use slopes to vary my speed and vertical position, and to induce rubber-banding. When running on the edge of the caldera my enemies have to aim at the sky ahead of me, and due to convergence errors i`m almost impossible to hit with ballistics. And remember never to run in a straight line. I had 8 man team shooting at me on Caustic valley, and I managed to get away using evasive maneuvers and deny them the kill.

Another tip is to prioritize targets: check out if there are any players with ping below 50 and take them out first. It`s smooth sailing from there.

You are all that is wrong with western society, and I hope your computer overheats and melts into a pile of slag. =)

#47 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

*shoots at edge of screen in hopes of hitting that Australian on Dial-Up ran thru the 1 pay phone in town thats in the pub* I have to do that now so I can hit him in the past.

#48 Motroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Locationmost likely gone

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:39 AM

View PostCrescent Fresh, on 26 December 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

Can anyone confirm that when the reticle turns red that it actually triggered a hit on the server? I've had many occasions where I see a red reticle and don't think I saw any flashing damage on the targeted mech paper doll.

If the red reticle is only an indicator on the client side (which it seems like it is to me) then that needs to be the first thing PGI fixes.

Edit: After further testing I'm pretty sure it's working as intended. It however shows red for a minimum duration regardless if you just 'nick' the target.

I can confirm for sure that both the red reticle and the flashing enemy mech paperdoll is clientside only. These two (red reticle and flashing paperdoll) are no indicator whatsoever that your shots registered on the server.
Only if the paperdoll stops flashing and actually reflects the damage you have done it has been registered serverside.
Hopefully after CW2 and releasing on steam we will get NA/EU/AUS servers if the total playerpool actually allows for it. There is no other cure for these things. Triple digit pings on Realtime shooters are just not to be taken serious, it's more like kiddin' around the internetz...

#49 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:56 PM

HSR put paid to the OP's workarounds. Some people report HSR failures, but it's not a universal thing any more - it seems to be related to packet loss rather than ping, from what I've seen.

We should probably let the thread die.

#50 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:06 PM

Posted ImageHRR Insanity, on 24 December 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

3. Determine the maximum lead required. The length of the spear is the combination of the latencies for you/the target to the server. Determine the length of the spear by trial-and-error. When the target is moving EXACTLY perpendicular to you (crossing your T), shoot in front of your target and then sweep back until you see your recticle light up (red) indicating a hit. This is the MAXIMUM lead you will need. Keep an eye on the target 'Mech's armor diagram and look for the flash telling you where the shot went. You can adjust your 'spear' until you see your shot hitting the part of the 'Mech you're aiming at.
*****************************************************************************************************************************************
Well I'm late to the party but wanted to send thanks anyhow for a nicely written guide :)

Does this info still apply and also, how would it affect someone with 300 ping who is shooting at someone with 100 ping or 50 ping?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users